Assistant managers not doing what they are told...

Some saves I like to take more of a sporting director role. So I handle transfers, set up tactics and select the team, but holiday through all the matches. For a long time that worked fine. But then I managed to sign two wonderkid regens who are not only hugely talented, but also the two best players in the team.

Now, I can't give them a rest, because even if I leave them out of the match squad, my Assistant manager puts them in the starting lineup, despite having the options ticked to use the selected team when possible.

Had a match against one of the worst teams in the division followed by a game against the best team in the division. One of the wonderkids had a condition of 74% and the other 83%. So I left them out to get them fit for the big game. My assistant started the player with 83% and brought the player with 74% on at halftime. Result was both of them at 80% fitness for the big game.

I tried hiring a absolutely useless assistant in the hopes that he would not have the confidence to make his own decisions, but that did not work. I tried using the editor and moving a world class Assistant to my squad in the hopes that he would understand the thinking behind my decisions, that did not work. I tried dropping the two guys to the U-21 before a game as an experiment, he still selects them. The only thing that works is going without an assistant, Whoever is in charge then still puts these two guys on the bench, but makes no substitutions. Not a big issue compared to my assistant anyway, because when the two wonderkids were starting, he always made 3 subs in the 90th minute, every single game. Sometimes he subbed the GK on 90 minutes for no apparent reason.

My question is this: Is there a stat or ability in Assistant managers that make them more or less inclined to do as you say? Is it possible to design an assistant that follows your directions on team selection? Or does it have to do with squad status? As in, if key players are possible to put in the team, they will always do that?

For now I will rock on without an assistant, as it is the only way to rest these to lads, apart from managing every game of course...

Out of curiosity I did this a couple of FM's ago, I set my ass man to pick team etc and was astonished to find he'd picked half the U20's for the game leaving out the more senior players, oh and we got beat. I think someone had posted about this and I was trying it to see if it really happened, TBH I could play this game without an Ass man, they don't really add a lot to the game, much rather just have a good coach in his place.

I don't really consider this a bug. As has been said here, it is not really the way the game is meant to be played either.

But it does turn out that even without an assistant, the coach in charge starts making decisions contrary to my instructions as well. Seems like I fired a perfectly good assistant for no reason...

Seems like that would be a bug if you are only going on holiday for the day of the game. If you pick the team the day of the game, then click holiday there is (or at least used to be, I haven't looked in FM16) a checkbox for use current team selection where possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing from SI on this? Love the game but this significantly takes away from the game. Its no good saying "that's not how the game is played", the option is right there..."Use current team selection/tactics..". Regardless of who the assistant is, or if I even have one.

Archived