FM16 The Sammarinese Challenge.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that after postponing the game? I had the same but luckily i only had 2 players really affected. (Had I realised the next game was so soon I would have rested them of course!)

I'm not sure actually. I do postpone when I can, but I'm not sure if it was for this game or not.

Anyone else struggling when the games come thick and fast?

My youngsters just can't play twice in a row. They're shattered!

I cant say I've had much of a problem (although I have signed quite a few players! (Although that doesnt help in your scenario Jimbo :lol:))

And here is that update!

Season 2017/2018 Review

League Table - Mission accomplished, our aim was to avoid automatic relegation and with the media predicting us to finish bottom it was clearly going to be an uphill task. We did however manage to secure our place in the league for another year with 4 games to spare. I was awarded with a new contract which is always nice!

I do feel we were put under less pressure than we could have been with the relegation playout sides. Over the previous 2 seasons 14th place got 38 points (15/16) and 39 points (16/17) However with 2 of those sides staying up and 3 more teams being promoted we could well be in good stead to have a solid second season and hopefully push up the league towards midtable.

Relegation Playout Result

End of Season Awards - Not sure why Cerri got voted as player of the year and didnt even get in the team of the year? Marc Jaouen Should have won it really. Cant argue with the others though

EDIT: I have just noticed that Marc Jaouen came runner up in the league signing of the season so I suspect a possible bug

Fixtures 1

Fixtures 2

Clearly consistency was an issue this year and the 8 games without a win could have put us in trouble, we however turned it around with great style and even managed a win over one of our rivals!

Injuries

Nothing too bad here Nardo was injured before we signed him so that wasnt an issue here

Youth Intake

The first youth intake has not been to bad. Marco Bianci is DN (I called him up to the senior squad to try and get him a cap ASAP and even though he didnt say no, he was unavailable in the squad selection screen. Will try again again at the next INT squad announcement) And although Paolo Ferrari is Italian he could come in handy over the next season

I have just realised that I didnt add the DN column when I took the screenshot of the intake, Ill have it in for next year!

National Team

I come into the qualifiers with 4 games left. No chance of qualifying so nothing to play for!

Fixtures 1

Fixtures 2

Told you Id get beat by more than 6 :rolleyes:.

Nothing to really see here although the friendly victories have seen us rise in the rankings to 179th

Aims For Next Season

Not get relegated!

Aim for a draw in a competitive International

A big gulf between the playoff spaces and yourself, so hopefully next season you can stay afloat should the competition get a bit tighter. I think with another year under your belt and a reputation in crease, you should be in a better position to push further up the table though.

Good first season

I was REALLY struggling early on and I am determined not to get sacked again after my Regensburg disaster.

As a result I really slowed the game down and even created a new "Barnet" save to experimemy job.nt with because I couldn't resist playing a new ME 4 times in the space of 2 weeks and it costing me.

SMR%20Graph_zpsgs2s6xvx.png

The good news is that we are getting there, (haven't even installed today's update yet), but the bad news is that the other teams arond us seem to be improving in line with us.

The other thing I should mention is that my best players, (youth players), won't sign a contract extension.

3x 4.5 CA stars

1x 4.0 CA stars

None of them willing to re-sign.

To put that in perspective, the next best CA rated layer at the club is 2.5 CA.

:(

I'm guessing that if we avoid relegation then the situation might change, I would say that's pretty up in the air at t the moment. I was going to complain that ths is completely unrealistic, but in actual fact I think it's more accurate than previous games where youngsters would just always agree to sign, (or at least enter into negotiations regarding a pro contract). Because they probably think there is a fair chance of us returning to Serie D, it's realistic that they would want to go elsewhere.

dan_lcfc.

41 pts over 34 games is 1.2 pts per game.

I'm only averaging 0.83 pts per game at the moment. That being said, I took just 1 point from the opening possible 18, so since then it's actually been an average of 1.58 pts per game.

So reason for optimism I guess.

I think the key to your survival was games won. You may have lost a lot, but you drew few games and managed to take 3 points regularly. Contrastingly, I have already drawn 6 games after only 18 games of the season, (more than you did in the whole season).

Bianchi and Ferrari look decent. :thup:

Congrats on being the 1st person to survive season 1. :applause:

Do you recommend starting now, or waiting for the release date

Well I'm waiting for the final. I just watched some Youtube FM'ers and have seen some ME issues I don;t like (especially with keepers). The game will be here in a few days, not weeks, so suggest to wait till Friday :)

Thanks for the input, I still haven't decided. I'll probably start today though, I just can't wait.

Btw, my background is Italian and I can a speak it a little bit, so am I allowed to put my second language as Italian with low proficiency

So in my getting plenty of game time in this week as i'm off work i'm now up to my third sacking... (I think thats a record for me on any FM). Twice sacked in the Youth Only challenge and just been sacked trying this, got as far as April but the board we're clearly trying to get rid of me constantly having meetins, we were easily safe from Automatic relegation but were almost certain to be in the relegation playoffs.... (least things are going much better as Salford City guess i'll be playing Dafuge's challenge this year then).

Good luck to the rest of you!

Well I'm waiting for the final. I just watched some Youtube FM'ers and have seen some ME issues I don;t like (especially with keepers). The game will be here in a few days, not weeks, so suggest to wait till Friday :)

Granted I didn't play FM15, but GK's are an enormous improvement from FM14.

Just out of interest, could you recommend any FM16 YouTube'ers?

Thanks for the input, I still haven't decided. I'll probably start today though, I just can't wait.

Btw, my background is Italian and I can a speak it a little bit, so am I allowed to put my second language as Italian with low proficiency

Yes. In fact I think it's advised that you give yourself (SMR) as primary Nationality if you are not starting as Nat Team manager.

So in my getting plenty of game time in this week as i'm off work i'm now up to my third sacking... (I think thats a record for me on any FM). Twice sacked in the Youth Only challenge and just been sacked trying this, got as far as April but the board we're clearly trying to get rid of me constantly having meetins, we were easily safe from Automatic relegation but were almost certain to be in the relegation playoffs.... (least things are going much better as Salford City guess i'll be playing Dafuge's challenge this year then).

Good luck to the rest of you!

Stick with the Youth only ethos. (I certainly am).

If you get sacked elsewhere, maybe look at the smaller Scandinavian Nations in the Gundo challenge and do that Youth only.

Thanks guys, it was a slog no doubt! I took an all or nothing approach to every game, but I think I will have to adapt a more defensive tactic, especially away from home, in order to rack up a few more in the draw column. Considering that 2 of our 5 draws came in the last 3 games (and 3 in the last 7!) we need to grind out a few results to hopefully get us over the line sooner. The signing of Marc Jaouen in January massivly helped our cause with him scoring some crucial goals.

Jim

I think they have toned down some of the rejections with the new update, so you may see some players willing to sign now who weren't before. I did have one player (YPoS Boccioletti) who wouldnt sign a new deal untill very late in the year, so this is still hope!

Stick with the Youth only ethos. (I certainly am).

If you get sacked elsewhere, maybe look at the smaller Scandinavian Nations in the Gundo challenge and do that Youth only.

I like the Youth only ethos, i just have to find a club i "connect" with... (A filled wikipedia page helps...) Most Scandanavian leagues i struggle to find a club i like the look of.

Hey guys,

I tried this back on FM15 with some moderate success (Winning the odd international counts as success to me!)

Unfortunately I was only able to start it in March so didn't get time to really get much done so this year I'm going for it starting tonight.

Any of you guys playing a more direct 4-4-2 formation? If not what you going for?

I did this challenge last year, but after posting a few updates in my first couple of seasons it turned out I was useless at actually posting updates!

Anyway, it took me 6 seasons to get promoted from Serie C, but I did end up playing 25 seasons and winning 5 Champions Leagues and 8 League Titles (I think, I'll post a proper summary with screenshots once I'm at home). The closest I got to doing anything with the national team was a playoff defeat to Belarus when trying to qualify for the European Championships.

So I'll definitely be joining in this year and I'll be trying harder to post some updates.

The problem for getting San Marino promoted is that they are in the same group of Serie D as Parma and only one is promoted. At the end of the first season it seems to be Parma about 95% of the time. So I'll be joining the club in 2017 I think, hopefully I can manage another 25 years.

I am going to start a save with San Marino but it looks like I am going to have to holiday to 2017 because Parma have been getting promoted for the last 3 hours on my game.

So I'll holiday for another year and hopefully San Marino will finally come up and I can finally start this save.

I have now got San Marino albeit in 2017, here is my Manager Profile and Information screens.

I have started as both the club and National team managers.

If anyone wants it, here is a link for San Marino in 2017 with a large database, just retire Hol Man and then add new manager for San Marino.

Link http://www.megafileupload.com/i40H/San_Marino_2017_start.fm

Looks like its a decent young squad to start of with, lots of potential in the starting line up, I'm going to start trying to keep as many youth players as I possibly can with the hope of playing it as a bit of a youth challenge at the same time....as if it couldn't get more challenging!

I am going to start a save with San Marino but it looks like I am going to have to holiday to 2017 because Parma have been getting promoted for the last 3 hours on my game.

So I'll holiday for another year and hopefully San Marino will finally come up and I can finally start this save.

All 4 successful attempts I have seen have been as a result of going forward 2 seasons rather than 1. I have got a feeling that it might be hard-coded who qualifies for the playoffs in that 1st season, (and it isn't San Marino).

Hey all, definitely throwing myself down for this, had a brief crack at it in FM14 and got my squad into the Serie A before I lost interest. Curious to see how far I can get this year. Good luck to all involved.

You now have a small database and a large database to chose from in post #2 if you don't fancy creating your own save yourself.

If you want to create your own game, then my advice is to holiday 2 seasons rather than just 1.

Cheers for that Col. :thup:

I will add to the opening posts if you don't mind.

No problem.

I don't know how you can do a youth only challenge with this squad it's going to be impossible :eek:, especially when Mattia Stefanelli is out of contract and refuses to sign a new one :mad:.

I am going to go the route of signing players and climbing the leagues as quick as possible, then concentrating on getting the training and youth facilities upgraded to hopefully produce players for the National team.

All 4 successful attempts I have seen have been as a result of going forward 2 seasons rather than 1. I have got a feeling that it might be hard-coded who qualifies for the playoffs in that 1st season, (and it isn't San Marino).

You might be right, especially since Parma's reputation is going to be massive compared to San Marino.

I think me and Col might be related. :eek:

Col.

SMR%20Col_zpswb7itbid.png

SMR%20Jimb_zpsenrazpig.png

Col is obviously my older, less attractive, fatter, less hirsute, albino sibling.

:lol:

[Edit]

We are not exactly the Cheery Brothers are we! :rolleyes:

The Chuckle Brothers are safe in a job for now :lol:

I've just beaten our relegation rivals Rimini 4-2 away and we scored at the end of this highlight and this is our Keeper in open play in the build up to the goal.

SMR%20Sweeper_zpsupcflzxi.png

We had already had 1 attack that was half cleared and we recycled the ball all the way back down our right and to the GK and then just kept going until we scored.

I'm liking SK(a). :applause:

Do we have to load players from Serie D in Italy? I have a full squadw of newgens.

No, I just loaded players from San Marino and the Italian leagues down to Lega Pro on a large database and I've got all the real players at the club.

Has anyone else had a problem registering their squad for the league?

I have the news article up telling me that which players need registering, but when I click on "squad registration" it just takes me to my main squad page. I can't work out where I would need to go to actually register players!

IMPORTANT TIP: I set up the game exactly as Jimbokav said (picked a small database). I only didn't deactivate the ingame editor. I used the editor immediately to change the reputation of Parma to the same reputation as San Marino (because Parma has a very high reputation and will almost always promote to Serie C because of this). I got San Marino in 2016 at the second try! And then I changed the reputation of Parma back to his original reputation, so they will probably promote in 2017.

Here's the download: San Marino promoted in 2016 with small database

Great to see this challenge getting alot of interest this year! Welcome to all of the new and the returning players.

One tip I would say is never stop scouting (unless your playing YOUTH ONLY (then you just have to pray for youth day :lol:)) I immediately hired the 4 scouts I was allowed and sent them over Europe. As the season progresses you will find players twice as good as what you had initially. Even players who I signed at the start of the season who were rated at 3 gold stars by my AM, were rated in silver stars by the time the Free Transfer window closed.

Ill repeat what I said earlier in the thread. It really is all about not finishing bottom in the first year

Jimbo, Ive been playing with a SK(s) but I may have to bump him up to (a) :lol:. Also is that a half argentine half SMR??

EDIT, Rimini won the league in my first season!

Reggiana, I dont recall having to register any players? Could you post a screenie of the news item?

col_nufc1, he is brilliant as an AM, here he is on my save, not nearly as good!

Sven. I would say that it is part of the rules that the IGE is disabled, regardless of the intention. Starting in 2017 is no real issue as far as Im concerned

vDraycottv, Personally Ive been using a pretty simple 4-4-2. No point being to fancy just yet!

Has anyone else had a problem registering their squad for the league?

I have the news article up telling me that which players need registering, but when I click on "squad registration" it just takes me to my main squad page. I can't work out where I would need to go to actually register players!

I have just had to register my squad and the normal squad register page came up. I forgot that you have to include U21 players in and now I have about 7 players unhappy that they weren't registered and want to leave in the next window :mad:.

What are all you guys doing for tactics? Life sure is tough scraping the bottom.of the barrell

I am going with a 4-2-3-1 deep, it's my favourite formation but I can never seem to get it to work on FM, hopefully this year I'll crack it :brock:

col_nufc1, he is brilliant as an AM, here he is on my save, not nearly as good!

I must of got lucky on my save with him then :)

July 1st 2017, day one of the challenge! Good luck everyone :D

I second that, good luck to everyone with there San Marino saves :), it's good to see this challenge has got a lot of interest this year.

Archived