FM16: Rangers = The Magic Hat & The Journey To 55!

Limmy

I signed goss in the third season on a free he is good and great sell on value got 6 million for him his best attribute by time sold him was 17 vision 16 passing I also got charlie adam for free that year to who is similar mood he tutored him which helped

Goss already had 'very determined' or something as his personality, which was one of the things I liked about him. He was 3 star current and 3.5/4.5 potential according to my scouts, but that all went down by half a star in the coach's report as soon as he joined. But with the determined personality I hope that means he will reach his full potential and be decent for us. I like that he can play Regista too, because I was using a Regista last season to good effect.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Goss already had 'very determined' or something as his personality, which was one of the things I liked about him. He was 3 star current and 3.5/4.5 potential according to my scouts, but that all went down by half a star in the coach's report as soon as he joined. But with the determined personality I hope that means he will reach his full potential and be decent for us. I like that he can play Regista too, because I was using a Regista last season to good effect.

Av a look at Robbie brady and Callum mcmanaman I signed them on loan that year did great job supplying hardie went on to sign brady year after and 6 years later I still have him great little player

If u want a look at them in future on my game I try get u some pics of there stats

Got a lot of playing done yesterday, the joys of early shift and being home by 2pm!

On the last day of January transfer window, nothing spectacular to report unfortunately, nobody with any substance at all is interested in coming and those that are want £15,000 a week for bang average players. I simply won't burst my budget to get these guys but I did add a guy called Caolan Lavery on a bosman, signing him early for £80,000. He is a forward rated 2.5 stars with 4.5 star potential, very modest contract of £3000 pw and happy to have back up status so fits in perfectly with what I am trying to do. Scouted him for a long time so I will see how he goes.

Trying to offload Tom Walsh, Darren Ramsay, Andy Murdoch, Robbie Crawford and Dean Shiels with no luck at all, however majority are out of contract in summer anyway, nearly all of my youths will leave as well with the exception of both McCrories, Barjonas and Gasparotto, the youth team really is poor. On a plus note Cammy Bell left for Bradford on a free so I did save 6 months of wages there

The league has gone really well, results and performances really solid but without thrashing anyone. Lost away to Hibs 3-1 and Falkirk 1-0 in the midst of an injury crisis but minor blips in a good campaign which has saw only 1 draw and 2 losses. Lost McKay to a leg break and Blair Alstons form has been poor at right wing, I have played Tavernier on right wing with Will Pickwood at right back, working out well and both responding with high match average.

Managed easy passage through to challenge cup final with Morton awaiting me there, I always feel challenge cup and league is the absolute bare minimum to expect in season one.

In the league cup I managed to defeat Dundee Utd 3-1 at their own place which was a major early boost, this gave me a tie against Celtic at Ibrox in the next round. An early goal from Griffiths put me 1 behind and for first 20 mins I survived more than anything, however came back into things really well and equalised through Waghorn after an Ambrose mistake, thus leading to a 87th minute winner from Waggy again and loud celebrations in the household (Yes I'm 32 and Yes I know its only a game!). Hibs were next up in the semis and a 107th minute winner in a tense 1-0 win takes me through to the final where St. Johnstone await us. So the League cup has been a major success however like anything else, if we don't win it now it will be extremely disappointing.

In the Scottish Cup I managed a 1-0 victory at home to St. Johnstone which gives me confidence for League cup, another tense 1-0 win though with 77th minute Waggy winner. However almost predictably this has given me a home tie to Celtic in the 5th round, I will be extremely surprised if I manage to get past them again but delighted if I do so will wait and see.

Squad wise the plus points have been the defending and performances of Wallace and Tavernier, both 8.20+ averages in attacking full back positions with Cech and Pickwood fantastic back ups. I don't see this changing in the long run to be honest and would be happy with this going into Premiership. Wilson and Kiernan have been good, both 7.20+ averages and performing well in all the big games, despite this I'm pretty sure this area will need strengthened as Ball returns to Spurs. Wilson I think can stay for a few years as first choice but unsure if Kiernan can. Foderingham has been excellent despite a low 6.85 average, pulling off lots of great save according to match commentary.

In midfield Holt and Zelalem have both excelled, pitching in with 7 goals+ each and average of over 7.70+, Vaulks has average of 7.13 and a problem with his discipline, lots of yellows, think this more to do with him being a ball winning midfielder. Halliday, Law and Thompson have all been adequate back ups performing well, however I suspect none are good enough to remain.

McKay has been injured after very promising early form and Alston has been very poor on right wing, in fact I am strongly considering not taking up Alstons option come end of season.

Waggy has 27 goals and is tremendous up front on the left producing in all the big games, Hardie has 12 and Cummings around the same, Cummings missed 3 months injured and is only now just fit. Waghorn, Cummings, Hardie and Lavery should be good enough for the SPL unless I get any offers, I say should be good enough but more a case of I can't get any better

I need a GK, CB, RW and CMs if I am to have a squad strong enough going forward. Although I have done ok in a one game scenario I am not sure how I will do over a season, suspect it will take a few years to win the league and then a few more after that to get anything from Europe and it's a pretty big task

However loving the game and the challenge, obviously winning and things going well obviously helps a great deal. More playing today when I hope to finish the season

Well season 2 has been an absolute pain in the arse so far. After around 14 games I've won 3, lost only 2 and drawn the other 9! Leaves me firmly in mid-table, when the board want top 3 - if I'd have won just one of those draws I'd be 4th though. My lovely 4-1-2-3 possession tactic from last season (that got me 90 points in the Champo) simply doesn't work at all in the Prem. Had some limited success with a flat 4-1-4-1 but struggling to score goals with the striker that isolated. I tried an asymmetric version of that with one of the CMs pushed to CAM (playmaker) too, but I'm not really sure if it worked or not. I'm thinking about trying a 4-4-1-1 of some kind next. I'm wondering if I maybe took too many players on loan and that might have killed my squad harmony, maybe that's why we're not winning. I took five players on loan, plus Zelalem who was already on a 2-year loan so that's 6. It's just that I had such a poor budget I couldn't secure any worthwhile players otherwise. I could probably send three of the loan players back to be honest - one of them is only a back-up DR/L, one is Ledson who's decent but not essential, and another is Rolando Aarons who just seems to be constantly injured.

Well season 2 has been an absolute pain in the arse so far. After around 14 games I've won 3, lost only 2 and drawn the other 9! Leaves me firmly in mid-table, when the board want top 3 - if I'd have won just one of those draws I'd be 4th though. My lovely 4-1-2-3 possession tactic from last season (that got me 90 points in the Champo) simply doesn't work at all in the Prem. Had some limited success with a flat 4-1-4-1 but struggling to score goals with the striker that isolated. I tried an asymmetric version of that with one of the CMs pushed to CAM (playmaker) too, but I'm not really sure if it worked or not. I'm thinking about trying a 4-4-1-1 of some kind next. I'm wondering if I maybe took too many players on loan and that might have killed my squad harmony, maybe that's why we're not winning. I took five players on loan, plus Zelalem who was already on a 2-year loan so that's 6. It's just that I had such a poor budget I couldn't secure any worthwhile players otherwise. I could probably send three of the loan players back to be honest - one of them is only a back-up DR/L, one is Ledson who's decent but not essential, and another is Rolando Aarons who just seems to be constantly injured.

Aye that's my fear, all well and good romping the Championship and doing well in cups, but I fear moving up will be a big test of this squad. As much as I am loving this I am under no illusions it is honeymoon period the now

Let's face it, game wise the squad isn't good enough to win the SPL, but anyone you can get are all the same levels as you have and they want extraordinary amounts of wages which we don't have to give. I think the season you are having is what will happen to me, but I wouldn't abandon your tactics etc, I always find messing about with them far too problematic, I will be sticking with this regardless.

I think a consolidating season is what most will face followed by better budgets etc in season 3

But, if you want a challenge Rangers is a very decent FM challenge and being a ST holder makes it more than interesting for me

Aye that's my fear, all well and good romping the Championship and doing well in cups, but I fear moving up will be a big test of this squad. As much as I am loving this I am under no illusions it is honeymoon period the now

Let's face it, game wise the squad isn't good enough to win the SPL, but anyone you can get are all the same levels as you have and they want extraordinary amounts of wages which we don't have to give. I think the season you are having is what will happen to me, but I wouldn't abandon your tactics etc, I always find messing about with them far too problematic, I will be sticking with this regardless.

I think a consolidating season is what most will face followed by better budgets etc in season 3

But, if you want a challenge Rangers is a very decent FM challenge and being a ST holder makes it more than interesting for me

Yup - even half-decent youngsters required £5mil fees which I couldn't do, hence all the loans. I thought the back four and keeper were good enough for the Prem at least, but now I'm less sure.

I'm not sure I'll get the chance for a consolidatory season, since the board are expecting top 3 - that was their minimum aim as well, the other option (for an additional £30k of budget :rolleyes: ) was 'winners'. Right now I reckon I'll be doing well if I finish 5th, but then I could still have a good chance of getting sacked.

Yup - even half-decent youngsters required £5mil fees which I couldn't do, hence all the loans. I thought the back four and keeper were good enough for the Prem at least, but now I'm less sure.

I'm not sure I'll get the chance for a consolidatory season, since the board are expecting top 3 - that was their minimum aim as well, the other option (for an additional £30k of budget :rolleyes: ) was 'winners'. Right now I reckon I'll be doing well if I finish 5th, but then I could still have a good chance of getting sacked.

There's the rub indeed, it's difficult there is no question. I have played before so I know that Foderingham, Waghorn etc star ratings all drop from 4 to 3 upon promotion so it's natural it is going to be a struggle, but it's a question of persevering with it in the hope it gets better - I got fed up before and used in game editor so I have no idea if you can survive without being sacked etc

That is why I have started again to see how it turns out

There's the rub indeed, it's difficult there is no question. I have played before so I know that Foderingham, Waghorn etc star ratings all drop from 4 to 3 upon promotion so it's natural it is going to be a struggle, but it's a question of persevering with it in the hope it gets better - I got fed up before and used in game editor so I have no idea if you can survive without being sacked etc

That is why I have started again to see how it turns out

Yeah, just hope I'm given enough time to turn this around. I sold Waghorn anyway because he never played, Hardie got me 35 goals in the first season (all comps). This season Hardie hasn't been anything like the same player, and he keeps picking up little injuries. On the plus side, only losing twice in the first 14-odd games isn't too bad, I just need to turn draws into wins.

Yeah, just hope I'm given enough time to turn this around. I sold Waghorn anyway because he never played, Hardie got me 35 goals in the first season (all comps). This season Hardie hasn't been anything like the same player, and he keeps picking up little injuries. On the plus side, only losing twice in the first 14-odd games isn't too bad, I just need to turn draws into wins.

I got beat 2-0 home to Falkirk after resting everyone before Celtic cup game

Responded by beating them 4-0 at Ibrox!!!! Thats me beaten them in both cups, starting to get confused by how difficult this is supposed to be

Out of interest what role did you play Hardie in?

Season ended hugely disappointingly

Beaten 1-0 by Morton in Challenge cup final then beaten 1-0 by Partick Thistle in Semi of Scottish

Kiernan at fault twice highlighting what I already knew, annoyingly Waghorn extremely nervous for all these games, made my mind up on both of these despite decent seasons

Will need to try & source some players

Season 1 complete

League winners on 95pts & League cup winners 3-2 vs ST J

Beaten in CC final & Semis of Scottish

Rate it as a good season but cup defeat to Morton & Thistle ruin it

I finally cracked and have bought FM16. I was trying to hold out till the March update but the call was too strong.

I'm currently waiting for the latest patch to download and install so I can start a game with Rangers.

As I currently live in in Australia I don't get to see any Gers games so I'm interested to see how the new players look in the game.

told u hardie struggles with injuries u really need to manage the amount of games he plays I believe he gets injured more now ur promoted down to tougher defenders. Wat I did was bring in another striker one which is equally as Good which was will Keane on free transfer in my third season means u can alternate more.

Season ended hugely disappointingly

Beaten 1-0 by Morton in Challenge cup final then beaten 1-0 by Partick Thistle in Semi of Scottish

Kiernan at fault twice highlighting what I already knew, annoyingly Waghorn extremely nervous for all these games, made my mind up on both of these despite decent seasons

Will need to try & source some players

Season 1 complete

League winners on 95pts & League cup winners 3-2 vs ST J

Beaten in CC final & Semis of Scottish

Rate it as a good season but cup defeat to Morton & Thistle ruin it

That's a great season winning league cup first year rangers won't be doing that in real life good effort took me till third season to win that. Won Scottish prem first time asking though think the midweek breaks Celtic didn't get helped

try putting either both or one winger as insider forward helps pitch in with goals

I got beat 2-0 home to Falkirk after resting everyone before Celtic cup game

Responded by beating them 4-0 at Ibrox!!!! Thats me beaten them in both cups, starting to get confused by how difficult this is supposed to be

Out of interest what role did you play Hardie in?

He was advanced forward first season, when I had an AML and AMR, but in the Prem that formation didn't work, so I've gone to 4-1-4-1 and had to try out slightly deeper roles for the striker, so he isn't miles away from everyone.

told u hardie struggles with injuries u really need to manage the amount of games he plays I believe he gets injured more now ur promoted down to tougher defenders. Wat I did was bring in another striker one which is equally as Good which was will Keane on free transfer in my third season means u can alternate more.

I actually tried signing Keane and couldn't afford his wage demands.

try putting either both or one winger as insider forward helps pitch in with goals

When I used the 4-1-2-3 wide in the Champ I did always have one inside forward. As I said, I had to abandon this formation in the Premier League though. Although really struggling to score with 4-1-4-1 so I might give 4-1-2-3 another go.

He was advanced forward first season, when I had an AML and AMR, but in the Prem that formation didn't work, so I've gone to 4-1-4-1 and had to try out slightly deeper roles for the striker, so he isn't miles away from everyone.

I actually tried signing Keane and couldn't afford his wage demands.

When I used the 4-1-2-3 wide in the Champ I did always have one inside forward. As I said, I had to abandon this formation in the Premier League though. Although really struggling to score with 4-1-4-1 so I might give 4-1-2-3 another go.

I play that it's worked for me pretty well it's making sure ur IF is good finisher and also plays with other foot so if on right wing can cut in an hit with left foot. Also Keane is costly if u wait until a player is released there wage demands drop loads

I play that it's worked for me pretty well it's making sure ur IF is good finisher and also plays with other foot so if on right wing can cut in an hit with left foot. Also Keane is costly if u wait until a player is released there wage demands drop loads

Well, he got bought by Bristol City instead. So that wasn't really an option.

Went through the January window of season 2. Didn't actually make any changes other than terminating Aarons' loan spell, and Michael Petrasso returned from his loan with Hibs. But we had a slight upturn in fortunes, won back-to-back games where we'd come from behind in both, then after a couple of dodgy games I won two more back-to-back games in which I went strikerless because I was sick of Hardie and Dodoo being utterly useless. All of which means I'm now 4th and only 2 points behind Partick in 3rd. 28 games are gone, and by some miracle I may actually achieve the board's aim of top three.

I made two pre-contract signings for next season. One is goalkeeper Sam Johnstone, who is already at the same level as Foders but with the potential to surpass him (scout said I should sign him whatever the cost) so that will allow me to sell Foders at the end of the season for some added cash. The other one was Alan Judge from Brentford. He's 28, has good ability on the left, right and centre of midfield, so he should be a good acquisition for us. Whatever budget I have in summer will have to go 90% on a new striker I think.

Coming to the end of season 3 and am still struggling to get a formation that works consistently. I am currently using 4-4-1-1 and although being reasonably successful, not scoring enough.

What systems have been best so far?

Welcome to my world. The 4-1-2-3 (DM, wide) that smashed the Championship failed completely in the Prem. Had most success with 4-1-4-1 but also struggled to score with that, got a fair few 0-0's and the odd 1-0 win. In fact 4-4-1-1 was going to be what I try next I think. I managed to win my last two games with a strikerless 4-1-4-1-0 but I only tried that out of frustration at both my strikers being useless.

Quick update - I had the chance to go 3rd but lost at home to Hamilton, bossed the game but couldn't score as usual. We've just arrived at the league split, so 33 games played - I'm 4th, 1 points behind Hearts. I noticed we've only conceded 31 goals* in 33 games, which is not bad at all - the worst bit though is we've only scored 29! That is the lowest total in the entire Premier League. Even bottom placed St Johnstone have scored 12 more than that. Absolutely abysmal from our attack. Anyway, 5 games left now to try and overturn Hearts and seal 3rd place.

*of the 31 goals conceded, 10 were scored by Celtic! :eek:

Coming to the end of season 3 and am still struggling to get a formation that works consistently. I am currently using 4-4-1-1 and although being reasonably successful, not scoring enough.

What systems have been best so far?

I'm struggling with my tactics as well. seems ok defensively but creating chances is an issue. I've been using 4-2(CM-s & DLP-s)-3(AML(if-s)/AMC(Ap-s)/AMR(w-s))-1(AF-s) but cant seem to create enough chances/score enough goals. what team instructions did most people find worked best in the championship? I'm using structured/control/short passing/get stuck in.

I've currently just passed the January transfer window in 1st season in my game. I'm sitting 2nd in the league, 1 point behind Hibs. I've made it to the final of the challenge cup and the league cup and have Ayr away in the 5th round of the Scottish cup.

I brought Jason Cumming in from Hibs who has being doing ok for me (13 goals I think so far, not at home so can't remember exactly) and Gerard Gumbau on loan from Barca. I also brought in a young Latvian lad on a free Voryjobs i think his name is who has been great in the AML position.

My rangers save is going incredibly well so far. Won the quadruple in the first season. Made it through 3 qualifying rounds of the europa league and now in the group stages. Won 4 and lost 1 in the first 5 league games of season 2. Managed to get Besic in from everton on loan who has been a revelation. Jason cummings is smashing the premier league like he did the championship. Danny wilso has been incredible. Absolute rock. Can provide screen shots if anyone is interested.

I managed to finish 3rd in the Prem (season 2, first season up there) by winning on the last day - having not been higher than 4th all season! I was ecstatic with that. We ended up with the least amount of goals scored in the entire league though, so I definitely need a new striker.

Much more detail can be found here where I've started documenting my career: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/450809-(FMT16)-Diary-of-a-Mediocre-Manager

As a sneak preview though, I just bought Dwight Gayle to be the man to hopefully solve our goalscoring problems. I've nearly agreed a deal for Drinkwater to come into midfield as well. Smashing my wage structure for him though.

End of Season 1 review

Transfers in

Jason Cummings – ST – Hibs – 450K

Sergejs Vorobjovs – AML/AMR – Free

Conrad Logan – GK – Free

Maka Mary - CD – Free

Gerard Gumbau – DM/CM – Barcelona – Loan

Andrea Conti – AMR - Free

Hilel Konate – GK – Free

Transfers Out

Nicky Clark – Port Vale – 31K

Kenny Miller – Shrewsbury 12.5K

Cammy Bell – Colchester – Free

Maka Mary – Basaksehir – 120K (Jan Window)

Plus lots of loans

League - Winners

1st Rangers - Pl 36 – won 19 – Dr 10 – lost 7 – 67 points

2nd Hibs – Pl 36 – won 18 – Dr 11 – lost 7 – 65 points

I managed to win the league but boy did I make it hard for myself. I only gained top spot 3 games from the end of the season having been 2nd from about the 20th game on. Around about March Hibs managed to open up a 7 point lead over me and I thought the league was lost. Going into the last game I had a 2 point lead over Hibs so a draw would be enough. I lost 4-2 away to St Mirren. Luckily though Hibs lost at home 1-0 to Queen Of the South.

I couldn’t get consistency from tactic and will definitely need to improve for the SPL next season.

Scottish cup – Semi Final

I managed to get to the semi-final where I was unfortunately gubbed 4-2 by Motherwell. I beat Falkirk, Ayr & Kilmarnock to get to the semi-final.

League cup - Final

I lost 2-0 to Hearts in the final knocking out Elgin, Raith, St Johnstone, Aberdeen & Inverness CT along the way.

Other than the Elgin game and the final I went to extra time in every other game before the final and relied on pens against Raith, Aberdeen & Inverness Ct.

Challenge cup – Winners

I faced Hibs in the final and managed to beat them 3-2 in the final. I overcame Ayr, Morton, Dunfermline and Livingston to reach the final.

Best Players

James Tavernier – Pl 45 – Gls –4 – Assist –12 - AVG Rat 7.61

The attacking full back was my best performer all season with his marauding runs up the right flank often leading to my team scoring. His partnership with McKay was brilliant.

Jason Cummings – Pl 49 – Gls –22 – Assist –10 - AVG Rat 7.18

The young striker was my top scorer and finished third overall in the league for goals scored. He often popped up with a crucial goal to win the game or get me back into a game. Had a few spells where he couldn’t score but I believe that was more to do with my tactics than the player himself.

Barry McKay – Pl 44 – Gls –10 – Assist –15 - AVG Rat 7.46

The young winger formed a lethal partnership on the right hand side with Tavernier. He scored

Sergejs Vorobjovs - Pl 37 – Gls –10 – Assist –11 - AVG Rat 7.31

The young Latvian was brilliant in the AML position as an IF/S. he chipped in with some important goals, often screamers from outside the box, and assists. Unfortunately he suffered a serious injury at the end of Feb and was out for the remainder of the season. I firmly believe if he was available for the cup final I might have won it.

Summary

I achieved the aim of getting promoted by winning the league but only just. I was fairly lucky that Hibs fell away in the last 2 months to allow me to win the league, despite trying to throw it away in the final game.

I can’t help but feel a little disappointed with regards to the cups as I had a great chance for some real silverware in the 1st season (I don’t count the challenge cup). Ultimately though I should be happy with getting as far as I did.

Future Plans

I have a few players coming in in the summer that will hopefully improve my squad, Ex Tottenham player Jamie O'Hara being the pick of them. I'll trawl the free transfers at the end of June to see if i can build a squad good enough to challenge in the SPL. I need to get my tactics right for the SPL though as if I play like I did this season I culd find myself out of a job very quickly.

Jeez. What a bizarre run this has been.

After getting promoted I ended up winning my first season back in the SPFL. The funny thing is, it wasn't really down to me. I done well but Celtic really, and I mean really, came apart as the season progressed. It seems to be a common thing, they do well right up till the league split then just stop playing. 5 points from their last 6 games. Ended up winning the league with 74 points, 6 in front of Celtic. Won the league Cup which was nice but got put out of the Scottish Cup.

Season 2 key signings:

Jason Cummings (425k Hibs)

David Banunski (Bosman Barcelona B)

Richie Towell (275k Dundalk)

John Swift (Bosman Chelsea)

Eldin Hadzic (Bosman Almería)

Each and every one of those players has been sensational for me. They have all been brilliant, indeed Hadzic is already considered a club icon up with Laudrup and Davie Weir.

Season 3 was really when I started to open it up, getting CL football really allowed for more money to be invested. I sold Wilson to Crystal Palace for 3.2m (think it's his min release fee) and brought in Murray Wallace to replace him (Bosman, 48 games, 7.26avg). I also got Jack Grimmer in as I believed Tavernier would leave only for him not to, which was awkward so I've been rotating the two and both seem to be doing well.

Notable Season 3 signings:

Chris Bedia (Free agent) - Signed as cover for Hardie and Cummings, does well. The fans don't seem to like him though, saying he's a bad signing but he scored 5 goals in 8 games with a 7.18avg so what do they know)

Pablo Maffeo (Loan signing Man City) - great player but with Tavernier and Grimmer someone needed to go

Maxi Rolón (875k Barcelona B) I do love signing players from here, they tend to be ace. 7.85 from 13 with 9 assists.

Victor Pastrana (4.2m Alcorcón) A bit of a risk but I wanted to replace McKay and wanted the AMR cover. Has been good when he's played (7.13 from 8) but Rolón's been a beast

Horour Magnússon (2.4m Juventus) Spent a fair bit of season 3 with only 2 good centre backs with all my kids stupidly out on loan so brought him in. Actually refused his original contract as I felt it was too much but went back in for him. Can play DL as well which is good as (Lee) Wallace is past 30 now.

Fredrik Ulvestad (450k Burnley) Signed him as a panic buy as Swift tore his calf muscle. Has been solid (7.46 from 8)

Season 3 was more of the same for me. Won the league a bit easier due to the signings I made and Celtic again failing to keep the pace. They ended up 3rd after a god awful run which saw them pick up 5 from 6 again including a 2-5 drubbing by ICT on the last day of the season). Won the league cup again but failed for the treble. the Champions League was peculiar. Ended up qualifying for the group stages after a relatively easy draw of Dundalk, BATE and Tel-Aviv and got Porto, Valencia and CSKA. Lost my first 3 games but ended up picking up 7 from my last 3 games, finishing third and dropping into the Europa. Got past Basel before Roma done me. Oh well. Money is money.

With Champions League money available I've made more change for Season 4. Foderingham is away to Norwich for £5m and I replaced him with Carlos Abad from Tenerife. I hope I made the right decision. Foderingham was great but with his contract running down I didn't think I would get a better deal for him. I think it's still a bit early for Robby McCrorie. Got Jorge from Tenerife as well on a bosman but loaned him to Toronto for experience. With Slight and Ross McCrorie now at the age where they should be playing I want to start phasing them in. Spurs are sniffing about Slight but I won't sell as I'm hoping he can replace Wallace eventually.

Since my first year I've stuck with a 4-2-3-1 formation. Keep toying with the specific tactics but it tends to stay the same shape. I have a 4-2-4 style formation which I'm trying out because I want to see if I can get Hardie and Cummings playing well together.

Also just been asked to be Turkey Manager.... which was odd. So now I'm both. Annoyingly the game doesn't seem to like being the manager of two teams and doesn't seem to recognise that I'm also the Turkey manager. So when I go to games I always get a mail saying "Rangers boss in stand. No one knows why".

First post in this thread but I just had to share this:

FMCL_zpsgmoi6ejp.png

It's taken 10 years but I've won the Champions League! All that's left is to get 10iar (currently 7, finished 2nd in my first 2 years in the SPL) then I might look at a different save.

End of Season 2 review

Transfers in

Jaime – Udinese –Free

Juan Camara – Barcelona Free

Jamie O’Hara – Fulham Free

Stephen Gleeson – Birmingham – Free

Tommy Smith – Ipswich – Free

Jordan Stewart – St Mirren – Free

Lewis Milne – Cowdenbeath – Free

Benjamin Kaufman – FC Liefering

Ettore Mendicino – Free

Stephen Lambese – Free

Tommaso Morosini – Viturs Bergamo - Free

Transfers Out

Nobody of note. Lots of deadwood youth on frees

I sent a host of players out on loan. Too many to list

League –Runners up

1st Celtic - Pl 38 – won 22 – Dr 9 – lost 7 – 75 points

2nd Rangers – Pl 38 – won 22 – Dr 8 – lost 8 – 74 points

So close yet so far as the saying goes. For my 1st season back in the SPl I have to be happy to have pushed Celtic all the way. My tactics which seemed so frustrating in the championship seem to be a lot more suited to the SPL.

I forgot to change my training from high intensity to medium after pre-season. As a result I suffered a host of injuries in the 1st few months of the season. Most tellingly I was left without any recognised strikers for 6 weeks. I would have probably turned a few of those draws into wins if I had had a striker available.

Scottish cup – Q/F

I was knocked out of this cup away to Hibs 1-2 in the QF having beat Ross County and Hearts 1-0 to reach the Q/F.

League cup – 3rd round

Another disappointing cup for me as I was knocked out in the 3rd round with a 0-1 deafeat to Hearts at home. I had beaten Brora 1-0 and Morton on pens to reach this stage.

Best Players

James Tavernier – Pl 39 – Gls –6 – Assist –10 - AVG Rat 7.96

The attacking full back picked up where he left of last season. He was at his marauding best all season terrorising SPL defences and quite rightly was fans player of the year with a whopping 74% of the vote.

Lee Wallace – Pl 36 – Gls – 0 – Assist – 4 - AVG Rat 7.78

The captain was a key performer for my side this season. He didn’t contribute any goals and only had a few assists. His runs on the left flank however often started off attacks and lead to goals eventually.

Nick Powell – Pl 35 – Gls –5 – Assist –7 - AVG Rat 7.48

The Man Untd youngster was an integral part of the team playing as an advanced playmaker in the AMC position. Most attacks were started by him or were contributed to him at some point. I am hoping to extend his loan for next season although finances are hindering this effort due to wage constrictions.

Jaime - Pl 39 – Gls –12 – Assist –12 - AVG Rat 7.39

The Spaniard arrived with a lot of expectation from me and he didn’t disappoint. He was lethal operating from the AMR position as an inside forward creating and scoring goals. During my striker crisis he was used as a striker and managed admirably, even scoring a hat trick against Celtic to become and instant fan favourite.

Jason holt - Pl 32 – Gls –2 – Assist – 3 - AVG Rat 7.40

He might not have scored or set up many goals but every team needs a player to spray the passes from midfield and start attacks. The young midfielder was superb all season at doing this.

Summary

A very good 1st season back in the Spl as I achieved my board aim of continental qualification via league position. I feel I might even have won it had I not had the issue with my training intensity. I am well set up to challenge Celtic again next season and hopefully bring the title back to Ibrox.

Very disappointing cup campaigns that are best forgotten

Future Plans

Now that the squad has had a year together I feel we can push on and win the league next year.

I have Sam Johnstone from man U and Omar El kaddouri from Napoli coming in on frees for next season to bolster the squad. My main problem is that the season long loans for Nick Powell, Gedion Zelalem and Gerard Gaumbau are finishing soon. Due to my finances I can’t extend them for next season as their clubs, quite rightly, want wage contributions. Hopefully come end of June/beginning of July my finances are stringerand I can offer a maximum wage of more than 525 quid week.

I've managed to get to the Euro cup group stages. I don't think I'll last much longer in the comp though. I've been handed a group containing AC Milan, Villareal and Derby.

EDIT: managed to qualify in 2nd place. I beat Derby twice, won and drew against Villareal and managed a draw and loss to AC.

Won the treble first season, league, training cup and the Scottish, beating ross county 6 zip in the final! I signed Cummings cammy smith, iwobi browning and jay fulton on loan. second season I have signed stengal and lundemo young good Scandinavians centre mids who are cheap, and got zelalem iwobi and browning back in on loan and Adelaide and Mere also on loan from arsenal and Almeria I think. young full back Tejero or Tegero also signed for free from the Castilla.

Now about to start the chase for the title!

End of Season 3 review

Transfers in

Jim Duncan – Falkirk – 35K

Omar El Kaddouri – Napoli – Free

Sam Johnstone – Man U – Free

Alejandro Pozuelo – KRC Genk – Free

Ouasim Bouy – Free

Zoltan Stiebar – Free

Andre Carillo - Free

Transfers Out

Andy Halliday – Rotherham – 300K

Tomasso Morosini – Catania – 75K

League –Runners up

1st Rangers - Pl 38 – won 24 – Dr 6 – lost 8 – 78 points

2nd Celtic – Pl 38 – won 17 – Dr 11 – lost 10 – 62 points

In my second season back in the SPL I brought the title back to Ibrox. Truth be told I was never really challenged for the title and won it comfortably in the end. I was able to rest key players and play my backups before most European and important cup games. Celtic had a very poor season and I will be surprised if Ronny isn’t sacked soon.

In the 4 games against Celtic I won 3 and lost 1.

Euro Cup – 2nd knockout round

I had a great run against all expectation, mine included, in this comp. I got past RBL in the playoff to make the group stage. In the group stage I was paired with AC Milan, Villareal and Derby. I assumed I would just be making up the numbers but I managed wins to beat Derby twice, Villareal once and draws against AC and Villareal ensured I qualified for the knockout rounds.

I faced CSKA Mosco in the 1st Knockout round. A 4-2 win in at home in the 1st game set me up nicely for the return leg. Unfortunately CSKA beat me 4-2 at there place and we went to penalties which I won.

I faced Olympique Lyonnais in the 2nd round. I managed a 2-1 win at Ibrox to give me a slight advantage. At their home ground I was beaten

Scottish cup – Q/F

Another year and another quarter final exit. I was knocked out of this cup by Motherwell in the quarter final.

The cup was won by Celtic who beat Motherwell in the final

League cup – Winners

A 2-1 win in the final against Celtic was the icing on the cake in winning this cup to complete the double. Wins against QOS, Hearts, and Inverness Caley Thistle ensured I made the final

Best Players

James Tavernier – Pl 46 – Gls –8 – Assist –12 - AVG Rat 8.09

Yet another year where the RB was dominant for my team. His runs on the right often unlocking tight defences and generally creating havoc in the opposition defence. As his figures show he was simply outstanding all season for me. He won the fans player of the year with as whopping 78% of the vote

Andre Carillo – Pl 26 – Gls – 12 – Assist – 7 - AVG Rat 7.70

I worked on bringing this guy in all preseason and right up till the final day of the transfer window as I thought he would be a great addition to the team. Boy was I right. The attacking right winger was instrumental in my championship winning season. He was a class above the rest of the league and one of the key reasons for my European run. A 2 month injury around February curtailed his brilliant season. Bayern Munich are sniffing around him so he may be gone in the summer.

Omar El Kaddouri – Pl 43 – Gls –3 – Assist –5 - AVG Rat 7.54

The deep lying playmaker was another key cog in the team this season. He bossed the midfield in most games he played despite being outnumbered in most games due to my formation. The figures may not show a lot of goals or assists but most attacks went through him at some stage.

Jaun Camara - Pl 24 – Gls –14 – Assist –6 - AVG Rat 7.17

The young left winger was used as a backup when I rested my main payers before big matches. He was played in the AMR position as an inside forward and was often devastating in this position. He was my 2nd top scorer behind Cummings and should Carillo go in the summer he will make the AMR position his own.

Summary

A great season which saw me bring the league back to where it belongs. The European run helped my finances stay very healthy and it was nice to win a cup as well. The only black mark on the card was the quarter final exit in the Scottish cup.

Future Plans

I will try to fend off bids for my top players this summer. That should prove difficult though with the likes Of Bayern sniffing around Carillo and several PL teams looking at my other stars. My main aim will of course be to retain the league and hopefully sneak into the group stages of the Cl. I’ll look at the free transfers as always and see if I can pick up some good bargains that will improve the team as always.

The board have agreed to upgrade the youth and training facilities so hopefully that will enable the youth players to challenge for a 1st team place.

Now in season 4 and although reasonably successful now, still having difficulty getting my strikers to score.

Any suggestions as to a top striker who will come- Cummings has already gone and I had to sell Hardie after Man Utd came knocking and he wanted to go.

On a general note, if any of you have Portugal loaded, check out the quality of their players under 21 and particularly the squads of the top teams, who have enormous numbers, many of whom are valued very cheaply and are earning next to nothing.

Now in season 4 and although reasonably successful now, still having difficulty getting my strikers to score.

Any suggestions as to a top striker who will come- Cummings has already gone and I had to sell Hardie after Man Utd came knocking and he wanted to go.

On a general note, if any of you have Portugal loaded, check out the quality of their players under 21 and particularly the squads of the top teams, who have enormous numbers, many of whom are valued very cheaply and are earning next to nothing.

I'm starting to miss managing Rangers now :( Ryan Hardie was an absolute gem! Are you able to get hold of Zach Clough at all? I had him at Manchester United in my 1st season and he was very good in the Premier League, I'm sure he'd be amazing in the SPL. Unfortunately when I left United for Rangers, I never really had the cash to buy him until the season that I left...

After 4 seasons with Rangers, here is my tips for signings:

- Andy Delort

- Jamaal Lascelles

- Matthew Targett

- Ben Pearson

- Sean Murray

I'd add Kenneth McEvoy to that list, he almost always becomes a free agent a couple seasons in and was brilliant for me.

Anyone got Ross McCrorie working? He looks to be to slow to be a full back and to small to be a CD. Anyone tried to turn him into a DMC?

PS: His brother is brilliant! Man Utd, Barca, Real Madrid and PSG is after him. But for some reason his value is still very low after 2 seasons as nr. 1. Only £700K, while Barjonas has a value of £5M after playing for halv a season.

• 3 weeks later...

Started a save tonight. Managed to grab Cummings for 375k 20% sell on, 59k promotion fee.

Danny Wilson managed to grab 4 goals in 3 games in my pre season matches.

1 - 0 (W) Dunfermline.

5 - 0 (W) Cerfumunglus Rangers.

3 - 0 (W) Ayr.

Next game is against Barnsley which will be a little more of a challenge.

Easy draws for the cups with Morton in the Scottish Cup and I can't remember off my head who I got in the challenge cup (L2 side anyway).

I used Hardie. I bought Cummings purely on the fact I can sell him on in a couple of years as profit.

Fair enough! Thought he seemed like an expensive back-up when Rangers don't have much budget though, that was all. Buying Cummings for a front two works though, since Waghorn was pretty rubbish for me.

I am going to start again now that the new patch is out. Loaded it up and so far looking at Crook & Windass stats in game they don't look much crop. Hopefully they have good potential. Looking at the Ass man recommendations my preferred tactic of the previous patch may not fit with the current ratings.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried putting Rangers into League One and Celtic into the Championship (England)? Really want to start a save with Rangers but not sure if I can keep one going if I was dominating in the SPL as I prefer a challenge.

Archived