(FM16) Regensburg, (literally).

Jimbokav1971

Yeah. Tou are probably right, but in all my years okaying FM, I have never managed in Germany, (so I've got to give it a go at some point).

The other thing is that my saves really don't usually get going for the first 5 or so years, and this gives it that extra in the early years. The potential for pumping out some real quality on the future is weighed against what will be a very hard start to the save. If I am still in the job after 5 seasons, well then I think we are laughing.

I suppose what really attracts me is that it's hard. If it was easy, well then everyone would be doing it, and I'm not sure I have ever seen a German Youth only save as a result of this rule. If I get sacked because there is no fresh talent coming into the squad then I will take it on the chin and that's that, but I'm going to give it a damn good g.

REG%20Logo_zpsqysehh7u.png

Regensburg. End Of Season 1 update. June 2017.

League Table. All I wanted was to keep the board happy and avoid relegation so in that respect, a job very much done.

League Graph. We were actually in and about the playoffs until just before the Winter break when I seemed to lose all my better players with injuries. You will see from the pics below that I do indeed have some decent players, but we are sadly lacking when they are unavailable.

Board Confidence. This all I care about at the moment. For the first 5 years as a minimum, (and maybe even going on as far as 10 seasons), all I care about is keeping them happy and not getting sacked. The transition between using established players and relying completely on HG players is going to be tough, made all the harder that they can't play before they are 17 years old. I think it's going to be a battle to stay up with a team of kids, but I don;t think it's completely impossible. There were a few media lines in the game that suggested that 40 points was the magic mark that would keep us up. It did indeed prove to be the case as 3rd from bottom finished on 39 points. That we only finished on 46 points is a little misleading in that as soon as I knew we were safe, I just let the Ass Man pick the team and went through the motions. We picked up 1 point from our last 6 games as I coasted through to the end of the season, having collected an impressive 12 points in the previous 6 games as we went unbeaten and secured our safety with games to spare.

Finances.

REG%20Cash%20injection%20Jun%202017_zpswkasqlvn.png

Squad by Avg. rating.

End of Season awards. (I would have uploaded the goal of the season, but of course you can't log in to YouTube).

Key players.

GK. Pentke. He's not amazing, but then again neither are we. He doesn't really fit the bill for what I look for in a GK, (no I am not talking about scoring goals), but he's ok and will do.

Pentke named in Team of the Year. That surprised me. I didn't think he would be anywhere near that, He didn't take pens of free-kicks by the way.

DC. Markus. He is our 1 and only senior International, (Lithuanian), and is a very important player.

DR. Trettenbach. Probably my favourite player of this first season Whenever we played well he was invariably at the heart of it.

SC. George. I'm not sure what the hell he is doing playing at this level, because he is very good indeed. Despite the fact that he scored 16 goals in a struggling team, (only 6 scored more than him), I don't think that I got the best out of him. I played him as an AF(a) because that's what I wanted, but the reality is that I need to make the best use of him and that perhaps means changing roles, (and maybe using his ppm).

Personal achievements, (Steam).

Back of the net.

REF%20Back%20of%20the%20net._zpsludtqn3m.png

First victory.

REG%20First%20victory._zps9d5jhzk3.png

Clean sheet.

REG%20Clean%20sheet_zps0st8xilw.png

He's signed. Transfers in/out. (I know that this says I have signed players and I am meant to be doing a Youth Only career, but I can assure you it was re-signing players who were at the club when I started, but who left before I could get them to sign a new contract). You might notice that there was 1 player who I was unable to re-sign. He was just very good and out of our league. How he was playing non-league last season I will never know.

REG%20Hes%20signed._zpstilfhlp1.png

Team Performance.

REG%20Team%20Performance_zpsgt2orglr.png

Beating expectations.

REG%20Beating%20expectations_zpspdto9fx3.png

Shrewd Spender.

REG%20Shrewd%20spender_zpsiw20x4xc.png

Star Man.

REG%20Star%20man_zpsak6xhkyt.png

Summary.

At the risk of being boring, (sorry), all that matters at the moment is keeping the board happy and avoiding relegation. I have secured all the original playing staff, (bar the 1 that got away), until at least the end of the end of next season, and some have had additional year options included in their contract so they can be kept on for even longer at no increased price. I know I have to do the whole thing again next season with absolutely no additions to the squad. Even the 1 youngster I inherited isn't 17 until March, so I think he has to wait another hole year, (and he isn't great anyway).

I think avoiding relegation again is realistic, (and if I fail I will be gutted), but the issue will be when I have to extend the contracts of some of the better players and start integrating the kids into the starting line-up. I didn't think for a minute it would be this hard, (I wasn't aware of the 17 year old's not playing rule), but I am determined to stick with it and give it a proper go. If I can get through the first few seasons I think we will be fine.

We've been struggling with form and injuries in the 1st part of the 2nd season.

I have just been summoned to a board meeting, (expecting to be sacked), and they have given me a total of 7 points required from the next 5 games. If I don't get it then I'm gone.

The last 5 games have been against strong teams and we collected only 1 point.

The previous 5 games were better and we collected 7 points.

:(

Ok. So time to get back on the horse.

Germany was too much of a challenge. Not just with the U17 rules, but also the standard in their 3rd tier. It's just too good for a Youth Challenge, (at least when I am in charge).

So I have fleetingly considered a return to both San Marino and Gibraltar, but I really want to manage somewhere where I haven't played a long term save.

I have played in England, N.Ireland, Italy, Gibraltar and now Germany, (if you can class that long-term).

I am interested in France, (just so long as their non-league is significantly poorer in quality than the German 3rd tier).

Scandinavia is somewhere I really have to go at some point.

I dabbled a little bit with Belgium and that could be an option.

Scotland seem to be trendy now for some reason.

Wales has been done to death.

What other leagues have more than 2 playable leagues?

Portugal?

The Nation that is jumping out at me is Sweden, (mainly for 2 reasons).

1. I have never managed in Scandinavia.

2. They have 4 playable leagues and I think that the bottom tier is loads of sub-leagues.

Portugal has just 2 playable leagues now. Turkey might be another option, especially given the strict foreign player restrictions (if they're still in place) and I've seen them regularly produce good players over the years.

Portugal has just 2 playable leagues now. Turkey might be another option, especially given the strict foreign player restrictions (if they're still in place) and I've seen them regularly produce good players over the years.

Mmmm. I have managed the Turkey International side before, (fleetingly). The names would have put me off, but now the nickname actually starts with the real name then that's easier.

Decisions decisions decisions.

OK, so it is definitely Turkey, (I like the no foreigners rule in the lower leagues), and now I just have to decide on who.

A the top of the pole you have the Turkish Super League.

Then you have PTT 1. League.

Underneath that you have Turkish 2. League White Group and Turkish 2. League Red Group which are at the same level.

Remember that I am looking for a team that didn't spend the previous season at that level.

White Group.

Dardanelspor.%20A.S._zpszewut6jq.png

Media Prediction. 18th.

Players at club. 13.

Training Facilities. Good. (12-13)

Youth Facilities. Average. (10-11)

Junior Coaching. Adequate. (6-9)

Youth Recruitment. Average. (9-11)

So this is the only team that in White Group that doesn't have any league history at all so that makes them perfect.

The squad seems reasonably balanced, (at least in terms of positions), and importantly there is a GK.

I'm in. :cool:

(Thanks Deltablue for the push in the right/wrong direction).

Desperatly unlucky there Jimbo, I wonder if its for the best though, save you getting 4/5 years in and struggling with the youth rules and ending with the sack anyway

Good luck in Turkey though, can't say I've ever considered it myself

Disappointing to see you sacked Jim, was looking forward to following your rise through German leagues.

Good luck with the new club.

If anyone wants a go at an insanely hard challenge, then Youth only with the German leagues is the way to go. I can't remember ever attempting anything so ridiculous.

Just forget about Youth quality for a minute, the 3rd tier of German football is of a VERY good quality, far better than English League 1 if the game is correct, (and I expect it is).

We got promoted from Tier 4 in Germany and I inherited a centre-half in his late 20's who had about 20 Lithuanian caps and was a regular for the National team. I know that Lithuania are not amazing, but this guy is proper decent.

If anyone just manages a long career in Germany playing this way, then..... they have my respect.

Good luck in Turkey mate! The no foreigners rule should give you lots of Turkish talents to choose from :)

Yeah, it's ok so far.

The only problem is that it's only the 3rd tier that has the no foreigners rule.

You can have 10 foreign players, (and 5 in a match squad), in tier 2.

And in tier 1 you can have 14 foreign players, (and 11 in a match squad).

The being sacked thing has unsurprisingly left a bad taste in my mouth and despite holidaying until the start of the Turkish season and taking over another newly promoted club, I just wasn't feeling the vibe.

We were doing better than ok, but because of the tiny size of squad I had to relent and let the DoF flesh out the squad a little. This made me feel cheap and nasty and I couldn't live with myself so I rage-retired.

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to go back to the last savegame.

You could say that its youth only but you can buy in any player from a specific low ranked nation (at least to begin with) ie San Marino if thats workable, seeing as you are dual nationality?

Maybe mange a 2nd German club team to get things moving and loan some players over as a feeder club for a bit.

Or just allow yourself to loan any player/sign only free transfers

I think its fair enough to get a bit of help until the first regen qualifies for the XI

Regensburg is too good to miss out on IMO, like you said they are too good to be true! esp for you

Or have you thought about just creating a club in FM16? I've not looked into it, but it is a new feature after all.

Archived