Regen names.

tyler16

Watching the U-17 World Cup, I started focusing on how unique the names from each country are. (I'm a nerd, I know). This led me to think of FM and how some nations don't exactly have the most varied selection of names assigned to regens. I googled this idea in regards to FM and couldn't find much, but I did find this post.

But in any case, if there was a file you could download to increase the number of names in a nation it would have been done by now I'm sure. The only way I know of is going into the pre-game editor and creating as many new people as you can (doesn't matter what type, they can be players, coaches, referees, etc as long as you can assign a nationality to them) . Then loading that file at game start. The game picks regen names from existing people in the game of the same nationality.

That's not a bad idea for an editor project if anyone wants to do it - Name Packs for every nation exclusively full of referees (without competitions assigned for them to oversee, just a name and a nationality) that you won't see in the game but whose names will be used for regens.

Does anybody know if 1. this is accurate and 2. if anybody has created such a file? I feel it would go a long way in adding variety and become a must have for long term saves where the DB becomes a world of regens.

So, anybody with any knowledge here please respond! I'd be willing to help out with a file like this. :)

I believe it's true that the only way to make the names more diverse is to increase the number of names in the database. This is especially an issue for smaller and unplayable nations.

Unfortunately I have never heard of such a file existing...

I believe it's true that the only way to make the names more diverse is to increase the number of names in the database. This is especially an issue for smaller and unplayable nations.

Unfortunately I have never heard of such a file existing...

Hmmm, so in theory that fix would work? I'd have a go at it if somebody could confirm. :p

I've you create a new player, with a name not in the db yet, the game WILL use that last name for future regens from the same nation. Can confirm, made myself in, got a whole family to enjoy.

So you just made a standalone editor file to the default DB? Do you know if this would work with referees, as the post above suggests?

It's hard to believe regens names are taken only from existing players from a nation. US player names are not very american and half of the regens have spanish names, even hispanics currently in MLS have Americanized names. This is not the case in reality. Since I've been playing FM, I never seen a MLS regen with the last name of Donovan or Arenas. There has to be some sort of regen name file.

It's hard to believe regens names are taken only from existing players from a nation. US player names are not very american and half of the regens have spanish names, even hispanics currently in MLS have Americanized names. This is not the case in reality. Since I've been playing FM, I never seen a MLS regen with the last name of Donovan or Arenas. There has to be some sort of regen name file.

Doesn't feel right to me either, plus how would that explain all the Brazilian nicknames?

Since I've been playing FM, I never seen a MLS regen with the last name of Donovan or Arenas.

Since there is probably only the one person in the database with each of those last names, the probability of it turning up in a regen is going to be very low...

True but the frequency of the names that show up are not common in the US data. Now if potential American regen names were also pulled from Mexico then that explains a lot. Its the same for Canada. Majority of the players have Euro sounding names but the real Canadians in the game does not. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada also pulled from Croatia or something. It's really bad for Canada though, I've seen a team full of players with the same last name in one of my save and I had to manually rename players.

Oh yea I forgot about the Brazilian names but to be fair most of the players with Brazilian nicknames are dual citizens.

I don't know if the languages of a nation has any influence on where the names are pulled from, but I think the US has a language distribution in-game of 80% English and 20% Spanish (which I believe isn't that far from RL). I haven't checked Canada so I don't know what the English to French ratio is there...

I don't know if the languages of a nation has any influence on where the names are pulled from, but I think the US has a language distribution in-game of 80% English and 20% Spanish (which I believe isn't that far from RL). I haven't checked Canada so I don't know what the English to French ratio is there...

I tried changing that before and it had no effect on names. Just less regens spoke spanish.

Yes, the overall ration is probably about right but unless the game understands that Spanish is much more common in Southern Texas or Southern California than in New Hampshire it doesn't help all that much. I am doing some testing on an edited American database right now and I think it's gotten better. I've also added language distribution to the states, added language to cities in especially California and Texas(both English and Spanish) and at first glance it looks ok. I need to dig much more into the data though.

EDIT: The names look better than before when I start to look closer there's no connection between obviously Hispanic names and Spanish. Anglo names on the other hand speak Spanish. Infuriating.

It's clear that the Hispanic names are taken from a separate dataset and that SI forgot to add Spanish language as default to these players.

• 7 months later...

It's perfectly reliable, the problem with, say, the USA, is that for certain countries, for instance, check Japan to see this at work, the names DB has extra names, probably taken from an official census or something, which will skew the name bias a bit.

The names DB cannot be edited in the editor, but the editor will change the names DB if you add another person of that nationality.

For instance:

If, say, the default DB has 10 people with the first name Dave in England(the numbers are just for show here, I'm sure there's probably thousands), and 5 people with the last name Fairbairn, if you add a player called Dave Fairbairn using the editor, the game will update this list to having 11 people with the first name Dave and 6 people with the last name Fairbairn. If you add someone with a name that doesn't exist for that nation, it will edit that name into the name DB for that country with the value of however many people you have added.

For Brazilians etc., the nickname choices work the same way, if 5 Brazilian people in the DB have the name first name Ronaldo, but 4 have the nickname Ronaldo, and 1 has the nickname Ronaldinho, then for a Brazilian regen called Ronaldo, it will call 4 out of 5 of them Ronaldo, and the other one Ronaldinho.

If you believe a country with a lot of names has too many foreign names, then you should report it in the data issues forum.

It's perfectly reliable, the problem with, say, the USA, is that for certain countries, for instance, check Japan to see this at work, the names DB has extra names, probably taken from an official census or something, which will skew the name bias a bit.

The names DB cannot be edited in the editor, but the editor will change the names DB if you add another person of that nationality.

Is there only one file for multilingual nations or several? I'm curious whether it matters to set city of birth where it's missing.

Archived