Finishing and Long Shots

Does anyone know when does the ME use the player's finishing attribute rather then his long shots? Is every shoot inside the opposition box calculated by the finishing attribute or maybe a mix of both finishing and long shots?

Because i have seen player taking shoots outside the opposition box and being labeled as a CC and the commentator is berating the player for missing an easy chance even though it was out of the box ? Do those type of chances use the finishing attribute?

It won't be using both those attributes at the same time. It's either Finishing or Long Shots, both related to accuracy of the shot.

Is there an attribute that is related to the power of the shoot or is it random? Strength maybe? I know technique is necessary for curled shoots and other difficult shoots.

Dont put too much faith in the attributes of players.

According to my current save my team has the worst tackling in the league but I have more players inside the top 20 for tackles and key tackles per game than any other team.

According to my current save my team has the worst tackling in the league but I have more players inside the top 20 for tackles and key tackles per game than any other team.

Actually tacking isn't the only attribute considered when the ME is deciding whether the tackle is successful, anticipation concentration, acceleration strength positioning marking decisions all have a say on whether the player can win the ball back. So if your team has good mental and/or physical attributes you would still win a lot of tackles.

It won't be using both those attributes at the same time. It's either Finishing or Long Shots, both related to accuracy of the shot.

Really? I'd always thought long range shots used mainly Long Shots, but also Finishing to a lesser degree. Just like factors such as Composure/Technique etc will factor into it.

I'd suggest that's more to do with the sort of pressure your team finds itself under, than the attributes in question. If you look at real life stats from any league, you'll find lots of players from mid to low ranked teams, high up the tackling tables.

Thanks. I'm going to have to re-assess some of my signings now! My current save is in 2030, so almost exclusively regen players by now, many of which are entirely unbalanced between long shots/finishing (one in particular who has 8 long shots, but 17 finishing). I'd always thought that the attributes would at least have a grey area where the two crossed over, around 20-25 yards out, but apparently not.

The guide you linked to says that it is largely a stand alone attribute, presumably though decisions/composure/technique all factor in though?

(Sorry if these are basic questions, but it looks like I've been assuming the attributes are far more linked than they actually are)

Thanks. I'm going to have to re-assess some of my signings now! My current save is in 2030, so almost exclusively regen players by now, many of which are entirely unbalanced between long shots/finishing (one in particular who has 8 long shots, but 17 finishing). I'd always thought that the attributes would at least have a grey area where the two crossed over, around 20-25 yards out, but apparently not.

The guide you linked to says that it is largely a stand alone attribute, presumably though decisions/composure/technique all factor in though?

(Sorry if these are basic questions, but it looks like I've been assuming the attributes are far more linked than they actually are)

That "guide" is the game manual. ;)

It says long shots is a largely stand alone attribute, but I'm honestly not sure. I would have thought that Composure and Technique plays a part too, but maybe not!

Is there an attribute that is related to the power of the shoot or is it random? Strength maybe? I know technique is necessary for curled shoots and other difficult shoots.

My coaches tend to recommend "shoots with power" for players with more strength than technique, and "places shots" for players with more technique than strength. They may be wrong (it wouldn't surprise me :) ) but I guess shot power is related to strength while accuracy is related to technique.

That "guide" is the game manual. ;)

It says long shots is a largely stand alone attribute, but I'm honestly not sure. I would have thought that Composure and Technique plays a part too, but maybe not!

The "manual" also says to follow the on-screen advice for your playing style/fluidity, which we know is incorrect! :p

Thanks very much though, I wonder what else can be learnt by reading the manual...

Archived