Tips for playing against the big teams?

Playing as Chelsea I'm getting so frustrated with my inability to come out on top in the big games of the season - or against any team with seemingly a little bit of ability or attacks me. Like Mourinho, I'm prepared to take any approach necessary on a game by game basis to win a game - but I just don't know what or how to do that. So;

What are everybody's must do tactical approaches for when you are playing the big games?

Essentially all I want is to keep clean sheets in these games, and be able to nick wins with counter attacks.

Is there a tactic to keep clean sheets at all? A tactic to win 1-0 or 2-0 most of the time?

I had eleven PL clean sheets in season one with Saints with a very ordinary system.

OP - your approach as a big team is critical, and I feel you have to aim higher than a clean sheet draw. It's such a dangerous thing to do as you're utterly dependent on keeping that clean sheet. If you concede, you need a whole new game plan. Can you describe the system you use against a relegation candidate, and the changes you'd make against a big team please? I'd like to fire some scenarios at you to test your approach to these games.

I had 8 consecutive clean sheets to start my season. Played a well organised 4-1-4-1 system, and was generally relatively cautious. It got a lot of 1-0 wins.

Could you detail your system briefly Llama? Trying to get a 4-1-4-1 going this year and struggling initially!

fb(s) - cd(d) - cd(d) - wb(a)

dm(d)

w(a) - bbm(s) - cm(a) - wp(s)

cf(s)

There is of course a lot more to it than that. Team instructions, personnel choices, and frankly good decision making. So anyone that copies it, and complains it doesn't work - it's because you copied that it didn't work!

fb(s) - cd(d) - cd(d) - wb(a)

dm(d)

w(a) - bbm(s) - cm(a) - wp(s)

cf(s)

There is of course a lot more to it than that. Team instructions, personnel choices, and frankly good decision making. So anyone that copies it, and complains it doesn't work - it's because you copied that it didn't work!

That's ludicrously similar to what I am using at Southampton :)

I just have reversed Duties on either flank (same Roles) and a Roaming Playmaker instead of a CM (A). I've seen criticism of the Wide Playmaker in a few places online, but I think it is an exceptional Role. With hindsight, the way your pairing on that flank is set makes more sense than mine. Food for thought :thup:

My thinking on that was:

• All my right Wingers are quick, direct, goalscoring threats - Alexis, Chamberlain & Walcott - I cannot justify not letting them get in behind, Debuchy is combative as a defender, so whilst i am not licencing his offensive ability, it is not like he is 1-dimensional.
  • The natural overlap on the left of the playmaker coming inside and a direct threat still being offered on the flank is something I like.
  • With the CM(A) getting forward, a WP(A) would get into similar space, so by cutting in more square, behind the advancing CM(A), he gets plenty of space.
  • The CF(S) offers a natural out-ball
  • The BBM balances the team offensively and defensively. He isn't getting in anyone's way either.

There we go, great minds do think alike.

fb(s) - cd(d) - cd(d) - fb(a)

dlp(d)

w(a) - cm (s) - cm(a) - w(s)

tm(s)

This is what I started with as I'm trying to get to grips with FM15. Safe to say it failed miserably! I thought I was getting the best out of the crystal palace players, but I was most definitely not.

Thanks for sharing your system, I think the movement of the B2B is something I can incorporate.

I had eleven PL clean sheets in season one with Saints with a very ordinary system.

OP - your approach as a big team is critical, and I feel you have to aim higher than a clean sheet draw. It's such a dangerous thing to do as you're utterly dependent on keeping that clean sheet. If you concede, you need a whole new game plan. Can you describe the system you use against a relegation candidate, and the changes you'd make against a big team please? I'd like to fire some scenarios at you to test your approach to these games.

To be honest I wouldn't really change anything between a relegation candidate, or title challenger - until something may go wrong in game. Then I'd throw in some different shouts, but rarely I ever see them make a difference.

Just about to play a league cup final against Man United with this set-up. I initially put this tactic together at the start of the season as a counter attacking system to use against bigger teams/tough away games. Although lately I've just been using it as a standard approach to every game.

My other tactic, 'home tactic' if you will is a slight reverse of this. 4231wide, counter with push up higher and various player instructions to press opposition.

WsQJuZw.png

p6FzSYf.png

Not changing things isn't a definite no-no, but when facing Man Utd I'd look at their formation to see if they have a dedicated AMC in the space between my defence and midfield.

I would reconsider your Mentality, and some of your TIs seem strange to me. Attacking has a high line and closing down, both of which you reduce, but you increase the already high tempo. Why focus play through the middle with Play Narrower? The ball with tend to channel through Fabregas due to his Role anyway. All in all, you're basically using a very high tempo standard mentality with a bit of closing down.

The few times I have had succes I have focused on:

1. Counter attacking

2. Surprising the oppononent. For instance I tend to play "Control" mentality, but choose the Counter, or maybe Attacking at times

3. Tackling hard on their creative player up front

That's ludicrously similar to what I am using at Southampton :)

I just have reversed Duties on either flank (same Roles) and a Roaming Playmaker instead of a CM (A). I've seen criticism of the Wide Playmaker in a few places online, but I think it is an exceptional Role. With hindsight, the way your pairing on that flank is set makes more sense than mine. Food for thought :thup:

I'm loving the Wide Playmaker. Di Maria and Januzaj have just been wreaking havoc.

Is there a tactic to keep clean sheets at all? A tactic to win 1-0 or 2-0 most of the time?

In my Inter save, Berlusconi gave poor Pippo Inzaghi the boot after a rocky start, but really hit the jackpot when handing another legendary former player the reins. Frank Rijkaard took over a bunch of honestly pretty average players and immediatly turned them into an almost unbeatable black-and-red wall. Since his first game in charge against Sassuolo, they've played 20 league games: 15 clean sheets. Only six goals conceded. Really wish I knew how he does it.

KdEF5.jpg

Archived