Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

Jason the Yank

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holy Cowdenbeath!
Hey, I was about to say that!

EDIT: Fine, I'll think of my own!

CowdenBEASTS!!!

Impressively, it's not a tycoon that made it happen. They had a change at chairman, but it was a "promotion from within" (I assume that means a board member taking over as chairman)

Promoted the first season in the game, survived a relegation playoff the second. Finished third the third season, and now won it.

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Yanbian 1-1 Changchun (Jia League)

The winless run is now 8, but we pick up a point. Took the lead in the 27th minute when Zheng Guangwu rifled a shot from 25 yards out for his first goal of the season. Couldn't hold the lead though, as Changchun got an open shot from the 18-yard line. Still, it's a point against the top side, so I'll take it.

Sadly, right back prospect Zhang Jian suffered a broken foot and is out the rest of the season.

September 2, 2018

And the third-string right back tore a calf muscle in a reserve match. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

September 4, 2018

Cui Min starts moaning about not getting first-team football. He's 29, his contract expires at the end of the year. I'm already making plans to move on without him.

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Yanbian 3-1 Yiteng (Jia League)

Survived an early flurry, but Nahuel Ayala's struggles continued as he twice fired straight at the goalkeeper from one-on-one. Fell behind late in the first half when a Yiteng free kick rattled the crossbar and none of our defense tracked back, allowing a Yiteng player an easy finish into an open net. At halftime I switch from the 4-1-2-2-1 to 4-2-3-1 and crank up the attacking mentality (usually I have us in "control", this time I went to "attacking"). Ayala FINALLY connects in the 54th minute when Li Shizhou delivers a pinpoint cross to the top of the 6-yard box and Ayala is able to connect for a goal (which actually hit the goalkeeper and continued into the goal, but sometimes that's how you finally break the drought). Four minutes later, Chen Xiao leaps and heads in a corner. Two minutes after that, in the 60th minute, Ayala grabs his second of the game when Zheng Guangwu plays him through for a placed shot to the far post from close range (a sequence that started with right back Li Hu going full extension to keep the ball out of touch). Yiteng never seriously threaten us after that, and go down a man in the 85th minute due to a second yellow. And we've broken the winless run.

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Zhicheng 1-0 Yanbian (Jia League)

Zhicheng came out with a 4-2-4, so I went 5-3-2 to try to keep them in front of our defense. We were able to frustrate them most of the game, but they got the winner in the 65th minute with a header that just floated over the outstretched hand of our goalkeeper and just inside the far post.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Yanbian 1-1 Henan (Jia League)

Another top team in the division. Went 5-3-2 against their 4-4-2 and was rewarded with a 28th minute lead, Nahuel Ayala in tight space in the penalty area after receiving a pinpoint pass from Yang Bin. Couldn't hold on though as in first-half stoppage time after we cleared their corner, Henan got a low shot away that my goalkeeper didn't see until too late. Not much to write about from the first half, and I decided I could live with a draw against the promotion hopefuls.

September 28, 2018

Some decent looking prospects, but no immediate help.

2018%20youth%20candidates_zpsoa6lzqoy.jpg

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Shenzhen 1-1 Yanbian (Jia League)

And a game against another promotion-chasing side. I decided to tweak the 4-1-2-2-1 against Shenzhen's 4-4-2. And we stood up to them, until the 53rd minute when they got a header at point-blank range from a corner. I went 4-2-3-1 at that point, and we were rewarded in the 68th minute when Chen Hongyang found a pocket of space in the middle of the penalty to receive Matheus Cruz's pass; he wriggled around two onrushing defenders and delivered a close range effort.

October%202018%20Jia%20League_zpsw3eatbaq.jpg

Manager's thoughts

So pretty much more of the same, as our win over Yiteng was a bit of a false dawn. Even 7th place is probably out of reach now, but if nothing else we're all but safe from the drop. We have the 8th, 9th and 15th placed teams to end the season. Perhaps it's time to give a look to some other players.

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Yanbian 1-0 Xiangtao (Jia League)

So at the October 1 confidence review, my job was listed as "insecure" and the board said they felt I should be doing better. We played out a dour first half, but had a much better second half. We didn't score from the run of play though. Chen Hongyang was bundled over in the penalty area in the 50th minute, and Zhang Xinlin comfortable scored from the spot kick. No style points for this win, but it's 3 points all the same.

October 18, 2018

No pressure then!

sack warning_zpsbweqhnap.jpg

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Zhongji 0-1 Yanbian (Jia League)

So with the sack potentially looming I ... stick to my guns and pick a squad with an eye to the future. We edge the first half (and Wang Xiaodong saves our bacon in the 14th minute with a huge save), but have nothing to show for it as the two teams go into halftime with no score. We catch a break in the 47th minute when a Zhongji player picks up a second yellow. We go close in the 81st minute, but substitute forward Yang Yang heads over the bar. In the 86th minute, Chen Hongyang surges into the box ... PELANTY! He's brought down in the area, and up steps .... right back? Li Hu. But no matter, the 20-year-old tucks it away with no problem, and we run out with another win thanks to the spot kick.

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Yanbian 5-1 Hainiu (Jia League)

Hainiu are already relegated (having suffered successive relegations now), and we have an outside shot at 7th still (we'll need to win and have Baxy lose). Of course, there's a big pack right behind us as well, meaning we could theoretically finish as low as 12th. So I probably need a win to still have a job, though I still give a start to debutant right wing Zhang Bowen (and 18-year-old who my coaches have been talking up a lot this season). WINTER IS COMING, and there's snow on the ground necessitating the yellow ball. I tell the team to send the fans home with a smile. We end up taking out all of the season's frustration on Hainiu in the first half. We take the lead in the 12th minute after Chen Hongyang starts a 3-pass move around and in the penalty area before receiving the final ball for a placed shot. Two minutes later, young central midfielder Jin Jun (recently getting a run in the first team) makes a move inside the box before floating a shot inside the far post. Two minutes after that, Zhang Bowen on his debut wins a PELANTY that Zhang Xinlin buries. 3 goals in a 5 minute barrage. But we weren't done, oh no. We get a SECOND PELANTY in the 26th minute, and Zhang Xinlin blasts that one home as well. In the 36th minute, Chen Hongyang decides to take a crack from near the top right corner of the penalty area, and that one goes in. 5-0 at halftime. Hainiu manage to pull one back from a corner in the 47th minute, but that was it.

2018 Jia League final_zpshnhuqx6m.jpg

Manager's thoughts

So a frustrating season, but which picked up in the final month. The 8th place finish does end up meeting the board's demand of a top-half finish, and hits the media prediction bang on.

There will be some changes, whether or not I'm still here (I'll have to have a think about whether it's time to move on after 5 seasons). Some of our players in the starting XI are coming up on 30 years old, so I'm ready to turn some of those positions over to the young guns. Are they ready to step up? It's entirely possible that I gave some youngsters too many games too soon, but for the most part they held their own.

We did have a bit of joy though:

Team of the year_zps2b8zbpjk.jpg

Club

Season	Club		Nation	League	GP	W	D	L	PTS	FINISH	Avg. Att	Wages	Notes
2014	Yanbian FC	CHN	Div 1	30	9	4	17	31	11th	4,948		$1600/w	Overachievers!
2015	Yanbian FC	CHN	Div 1	30	17	7	6	58	3rd	5,426		$1600/w	Overachievers!
2016	Yanbian FC	CHN	Div 1	30	13	7	10	46	8th	5,384		$1600/w
2017	Yanbian FC	CHN 	Div 1	30	14	10	6	52	3rd	5,267		$1600/w
2018	Yanbian FC	CHN	Div 1	30	11	9	10	42	8th	5,144		$1800/W

Cups

Season	Club		Nation	Cup	Result
2014	Yanbian FC	CHN	FA Cup	Lost in Second Round
2015	Yanbian FC	CHN	FA Cup	Lost in Third Round (to Super League club)
2016	Yanbian FC	CHN	FA Cup	Lost in Third Round 
2017	Yanbian FC	CHN	FA Cup	Lost in Second Round
2018	Yanbian FC	CHN	FA Cup	Lost in Third Round (to Super League club)

Well somebody thinks I'm doing something right...

Shenhua vacancy_zpszkcdahzt.jpg

The media then asked if I'd be interested in it, and I said of course I would be.

The board wasn't happy with that, but my contract is up at the end of the year anyway and they haven't offered a new one.

Well I missed my chance. I played coy and didn't apply for the Shenhua job, waiting for them to approach me. Instead, they went with the second guy on the list who was currently unemployed (and thus no compensation required)

But then this dropped into my inbox without me applying for the gig.

Seattle interview_zpsqzdxyfj7.jpg

Time's up

No further speculation about my future came in after the Seattle interview, so with a month left on my contract I approached the Yanbian board about a new deal.

I felt my 5 years there deserved some credit, so I demanded 2 years at $2,000/week plus a 25% pay rise upon promotion to the Super League plus bonuses for gaining promotion and winning the Jia League title.

The board didn't see it like that, and refused to budge from 1 year at $1,800/week (so no pay rise). I gave up the bonuses and the Super League pay rise, but I still wanted 2 years and $2,000/week. But talks broke down, so I took the only recourse I felt I had.

Yanbian%20resignation_zpsmpkcqogr.jpg

Staff%20following%20me%20out%20of%20Yanbian_zpssqtfrxhm.jpg

Hi, my name is...

There were a number of tempting jobs, but I tried to keep them sensible. No Premier League jobs for me, not yet anyway. I had interviews with Coventry (in danger of relegation to the Conference) and Defensor Sporting (Uruguay), but they decided I wasn't the right fit. Colo Colo in Chile laughed off my application, as did San Jose in MLS.

But apparently nobody else wanted the San Jose job, so they called me in for an interview. And it went successfully.

From China to California

San%20Jose%20offer_zps8wwzsr49.jpg

Sacking%20the%20DoF_zpssuhjlxyx.jpg

San%20Jose%20hire_zpssfsnlorn.jpg

220px-San_Jose_Earthquakes_2014.svg.png

San Jose Earthquakes - Major League Soccer

It's an excellent opportunity for me. A new-ish stadium with top corporate facilities, "Impressive" training facilities, "Great" youth facilities. The actual youth setup is a bit lacking, only "Average" junio coaching and "Fairly basic" youth recruitment. And in my interview, there was no option to ask for that last one to be increased.

I'm at a club that's in a little bit of decay. They finished 3rd for the Supporters Shield in 2015 (when they also won MLS Cup), followed by 6th place finishes in 2016 and 2017, before landing in 10th last season. First order of business is to review the backroom situation; we have 5 vacant scout position, plus four "other staff" positions available.

• 4 weeks later...

WE'RE GOING BACK IN TIME!

So I'd started my time at San Jose, and I kept getting messages about two players returning from loan spells at our affiliate club. So I decided to look into it further and it turns out ... their contracts with us had expired 4 years previously, but they never left the affiliate club and someone were still tied to us.

I raised the matter in the bugs forum, and it turns out to be a legacy bug. Fixed for newer saves, but ones that started with the beta (like mine) are stuck with it: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/399739-U.S.A.-(Official)-League-Specific-Issues?p=10307944&viewfull=1#post10307944

So I went back to a save when my contract talks with Yanbian broke down.

Instead, I'm sticking around in China. I still couldn't get them to give me more than 1 year/$1800 p.w., but they did agree to $10K bonuses for promotion and for winning the Jia League.

Yanbian_Changbaishan_FC.png

Yanbian FC - 2018-19 close season

December 9, 2018

We get hit with a $14K tax bill. But it's based on taxable profits of about $2.16M, so I think we can afford it.

We also have a new main kit sponsor, with a 2-year deal worth about $47K per year. That's up from $35.01K. We also posted a slight increase in revenue from corporate and hospitality facilities ($11.27K, from $10.82K). And we posted a $13.85K increase in broadcast revenues and competition prize money, totalling $100K. Total merchandise sales for the season were $178K, with non-domestic sales amounting to $17.84K.

December 23, 2018

The board announce profits of $1.9M for the last financial year, 39% of our turnover. Total revenue for the financial year came to $4.8M

December 26, 2018

I get the board to agree to me studying for my Continental A license.

December 31, 2018

The board agrees to my request to improve the youth facilities. The upgrade will cost around $875,000. Construction work will begin March 1, 2019, and is expected to be completed by June 21, 2019.

January 20, 2019

Left back Zhang Xinlin wins the Fans Player of the Year in a close vote. He gets 34% of the vote, followed by left wing Chen Hongyang at 29%, right wing Li Shizhou with 23%, and 14% scattered among other players.

We're given $8.85K as our share of Jia League TV rights for the forthcoming season.

There's no messing around this season: The board wants a title challenge. The media thinks that as well, picking us to finish 4th. Well it is an odd-numbered year and that's when we've done our best. As a result, our affiliation deal with Shandong is terminated.

A longer update because of the board shutdown/maintenance.

Board: Title challenge

Media prediction: 4th

Bookies: 14-1

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Zhongji 0-1 Yanbian (Jia League)

Got the season off on the right foot, but the winner was a bit of a fluke. Center back Li Xianjun sent a direct ball into the box in the 47th minute. It went over everyone bar the goalkeeper; he was able to punch it near the top of the penalty area, but wasn't able to alter its trajectory into the back of the net. Li gets credit for the goal though and we fend off a goalmouth scramble in stoppage time to hang on for the win.

March 17, 2019

We announce 1,025 season ticket sales, exactly the same as last season.

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Yanbian 1-1 Baxy (Jia League)

The home opener, but we sent the fans home frustrated from a match we should have won. We went up in the 20th minute our Milton Rodas (a spring free transfer formerly from Rosario Central in Argentina) crossed from wide; Nahuel Ayala had to drop back to reach it, but that opened up space for him to cooly finish. We were saved by the post in the 38th minute, but still took a lead into halftime. We should have wrapped it up in the 66th minute only for Ayala to shoot wide when he broke the offside trap to go one-on-one with the Baxy goalkeeper. And we paid for it 5 minutes later when right back Li Hu and center back Chen Xiao had a mixup that ended with Chen sending the ball into our own net. So we come away with only a score draw despite Baxy not getting any shots on target.

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Chongqing 3-1 Yanbian (Jia League)

Chongqing's 4-3-3 gave us some fits, and we needed a 35th minute penalty to get into halftime on level terms. Our debutant defensive midfielder Li Xiaoming (drafted into the side as I went with a new 4-2-3-1 using defensive midfielders) got himself sent off in the 53rd minute for a late challenge. A man down, we couldn't hold off Chongqing's attack and they got goals in the 68th and 75th minutes.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Yanbian 0-3 Tianshan (Jia League)

A very frustrating game, and I'd like to know what the referee was up to. In the buildup to the match I was asked about the Tianshan left wing's goal-scoring run against us. So I decided to assign the right wing to mark him. Didn't matter, he scored in the 6th minute. Meanwhile, about half my team gets yellow cards, they're given a soft penalty in the 50th minute (which they convert), our right back gets shown a second yellow in the 76th minute AND we lose a player to injury in the 82nd minute (and have another two come up lame after we'd burned our third substitution) so we finish with 9 men (and concede the third goal in the 89th minute). Sadly, I'm not given the opportunity to put the referee on blast in the post-match press conference.

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Yanbian 4-1 Wuhan (Jia League)

Between injuries and suspensions, I'm forced to change out about half of the starting XI. It looked like more frustration though when Ayala fired a 6th minute penalty straight at the keeper, and Wuhan buried a 19th minute penalty. But we broke through with a quickfire double in the 24th (Cui Ren header) and 27th minutes (Ayala capitalizing on an ill-advised backpass by the Wuhan defense) and we made it 3-1 shortly before halftime when Ayala volleyed Chen Hongyang's cross. We put the final nail in Wuhan's coffin in the 61st minute when Zheng Guangwu (playing in the hole) dropped back in the penalty area to receive Chen Hongyang's low cross and half-volleyed it past the keeper. A result we really needed to have.

But then I get a message that the squad has told the ass man they're not happy with my managing of the team. I end up meeting with 8 players and get about half of them back onside. But then our backup left back goes and moans to the media.

And then Cui Ren fails to show up for training for the second time this season.

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Qingdao 1-0 Yanbian (Jia League)

Went down a man when midfielder Jin Chenxi picked up his second yellow in the 20th minute. Ayala had a glorious opportunity in the 47th minute but fired straight at the keeper. And then we got whistled for another penalty in the 80th minute, and Qingdao didn't miss.

April 24, 2019

We're drawn against Tianshan in the 2nd round of the FA Cup. If we get past them, it's another all-Jia League side in the 3rd Round with either Xiangtao or Senke.

Saturday, April 27, 2019

Meizhou 1-1 Yanbian (Jia League)

Meizhou took the lead from a corner in the 35th minute. We went down to 10 men in the 90th minute when our substitute AMC had to go off injured (having come on for another player forced off by injury). Fortunately for us, the Jia League refs continued their strict ways and we were awarded a penalty soon after and managed to come away with a draw.

May%202019%20Jia%20League_zpsvwowyu8m.jpg

April 30, 2019

Ugh. A hard challenge in training means our starting goalkeeper dislocates his shoulder and is out 2 to 3 months.

Manager's thoughts

Well, that's not the way to start a title challenge. And with players buying into the idea that we should be a contender (but not playing well enough), there's danger that I could lose the locker room. The injury pileup has already started, so at this point I'm just hoping I can ride out the storm long enough to collect my next coaching badge. Can you cite injuries as a reason the board should give you more time?

I'm running out of patience with Nahuel Ayala up top. He started off brightly enough with 6 goals in a 6-game cameo when he signed for us back in 2017. But he just barely scraped double-digit goals last season, and this season he has 3 in 7 games (but his average rating has been declining from 7.57 to 6.85 to 6.61). Super League side Tianjin are sniffing around, and if they were to come in with a bid I would probably bite their hand off. The other possibility is that he's just not able to function as a lone forward and needs a strike partner.

Archived