[FM14] - North Street Hooligans

CityAndColour

Inspired by Kris' efforts with Cambridge, I've decided to document my own hopeful rise from non-league football to the top of the tree. The team I have chosen is the real life high-flyers:

Alfreton Town FC

_54507496_alfreton_226.gif

Alfreton Town Football Club is an English football club based in Alfreton, Derbyshire. The club participates in the Conference Premier, the fifth tier of English football.

The club was reformed after a merger between Alfreton Miners Welfare and Alfreton United in 1959. The new club was admitted into the Central Alliance North Division One in 1959, and within two seasons entered the Midland Counties League.

In 1970, after a few seasons of finishing near the top, they won the league title, and won it again in 1973 and 1977. After the Midland League and the Yorkshire League merged in 1982, they won the Northern Counties East League in 1985, division champions in 1987, and joined the Northern Premier League in 1988.

In 2003, the club won the First Division and the Derbyshire Senior Cup. After this turn of events, they won promotion to the Conference North. Alfreton have played in the Conference Premier since the 2011–12 season after sealing promotion by winning the Conference North title.

Wikipedia

Despite being a part time club, we are given a generous media prediction of 8th and the board expect a mid-table finish. The squad looks strong enough for this on paper, and an abundance of wide men to fit my favoured 4-5-1 formation.

---

Leagues loaded: England (Conference N/S and above), Scotland (top two divisions), Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Australia (top divisions only); medium database.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2013/14 Pre-season

---

Media prediction: 8th

Title odds: 20/1

Board expectations: Respectable league finish, FA Cup 1st round, FA Trophy 3rd round

Captain: Chris Westwood

Vice: John McGrath

---

My first port of call was to sort out the back room, with only a very average assistant manager and a capable physio in place. Former Real Madrid and Blackburn stalwart Michel Salgado takes up his first staff role as my number two, and former Liverpool fitness coach Julian Monk joins the ranks as a first team coach. I have only employed one scout in Lee Maybury, whose previous role was as chief scout at Portsmouth.

---

Transfers:

cG0flJs.jpg

A few refinements to the squad; two centre halves in and two out, while Huddersfield loanee Jordan Sinnott looks a class above this level and will play as a box to box midfielder. With only one 'keeper in the squad, a loan signing was essential.

---

Pre-season:

sLg3JA2.jpg

As always, I let my assistant handle friendlies using my tactics. A mixed bag in a set of friendlies already set up prior to my arrival.

August 2013 - Conference Premier

---

xCePgpe.jpg

A very solid start, going five matches unbeaten before a loss to Forest Green in which we switched off twice from corners.

Grimsby in particular was a brutal counter-attacking performance, with 19 shots and six clear cut chances from only 41% possession, while the home side could only muster three attempts on goal.

September 2013 - Conference Premier

---

649I139.jpg

A tougher month which got better at the end. We drew the first three matches of the month, including a 4-4 epic at home to Cambridge in a match we threw away a two-goal buffer THREE times. Barnet completely outplayed us and stretched the winless run to six, before a team meeting did the trick as we dispatched a relegation candidate in Southport and a promotion chaser in Braintree.

October 2013 - Conference Premier

---

vRQAsSg.jpg

A much better month which propels us into the playoff spots. We got our revenge on Forest Green (playing them twice in the first 13 games) before Assoumani headed in four first half goals against a despondent Chester side. Gateshead was disappointing, as we led 0-1 at half time and drew level at 2-2 after 80 minutes, but again the squad regrouped at Aldershot. A routine win over Marine means the board's FA Cup expectations have been met.

November 2013 - Conference Premier

---

RknOzCt.jpg

The penultimate month of the year was solid, but ended with defensive sloppiness. We were the better side against Scunthorpe and unlucky to exit the FA Cup, while much of the good work of three straight wins was undone against two lowly sides, Hyde and Nuneaton both had four clear cut chances each, as did minnows Kendal Town in the FA Trophy. Luckily we took our chances with clinical precision.

Unfortunately, we lost club icon Paul Clayton for three months with a torn groin muscle in the Nuneaton match, adding insult to the scoreline.

December 2013 - Conference Premier

---

yTvH8kJ.jpg

A disappointing result at home to Dartford ruins what was otherwise a perfect month, shortened by two postponed fixtures. A late winner against title favourites Luton boosted morale ahead of a trip to Woking, where an excellent display ensured progress to the third round of the FA Trophy. A trip to leaders Kidderminster was postponed as they had a replay, however despite absolutely dominating the Dartford game, they plucked two goals out of nowhere, while relying on a MOTM performance from their custodian.

We bounced back admirably however, with a late, late winner at playoff chasing Wrexham no more than the Boxing Day performance deserved, before a home fixture against Southpost on the 28th was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

---

3t9PCZl.jpg

So we finish up 2013 in a strong position to push for a playoff burst, though some recruitment will be needed in January to ensure we can maintain our position.

January 2014 - Conference Premier

---

yPNzxcF.jpg

A mixed month in which we maintained a playoff push but crashed out of the very winnable FA Trophy. Seven points in seven days kicked off the new year, before a replay was our downfall against Salisbury. Tamworth then visited North Street, offered absolutely nothing, yet came away with a point thanks to a mishit cross that flew straight in.

We bounced back at Welling, despite going a goal behind, before a clinical Kidderminster took the spoils in a match we dominated for large periods.

---

92sBBi9.jpg

With so much wage budget free, I was able to free up the funds to bring in centre-half Jamie Turley for what is apparently a club record fee, while some loan signings give us depth for the run home.

February 2014 - Conference Premier

---

ee4dHWO.jpg

Another month where we did enough to stay in the playoff spots, but didn't do enough to challenge the top two. Hyde proved to be hard work, before we went to 4th placed Cambridge and took the points thanks to a stunning drive from Sinnott.

Aldershot had lost five straight and sat rock bottom of the league, so it was inevitable they would defend like titans and take their only chance of the match with aplomb. My rage after that one didn't have the desired effect, as we were never in it against Gateshead.

March 2014 - Conference Premier

---

lgXCocc.jpg

A much better month as we went unbeaten and consolidated our top five spot. Luton was a great game for the neutral, as we grabbed a goal each and plenty of attacking play, before managerless Lincoln became the latest relegation candidate to pick up a point at North Street. Six points from two potential banana-skin away fixtures was very pleasing, and we needed a late Akinde goal to see off Nuneaton, despite our dominance.

---

nspL4Ee.jpg

A fairly average youth intake, with only two players signed and only one looking like he could have a first team future.

However, by massive stroke of fortune, my scouts found two unattached newgens who apparently have EPL potential; presumably the game generated them at the same time clubs had their intakes.

Dillon in particular looks the sort you could build a club around, so it will be interesting to see how long we can hold onto him for.

April 2014 - Conference Premier

---

L4gdGzL.jpg

A strange month to say the least. We were the dominant side against Welling, Woking and Hereford, yet only picked up a point; however we were completely outplayed by Grimsby and held on for the win. The net result of this was we needed a win at home to relegated Macclesfield on the final day to ensure a playoff spot, which we sealed in 14 scintillating first half minutes.

Which means...

kcAnTbk.jpg

The team I wanted to avoid. They have scored 100 goals exactly in the league so far.

2013/14 - Conference National Playoff Semi

---

Ioh13C4.jpg

---

LflbvdJ.jpg

Infuriating. We were excellent in the first leg, grabbing the only goal and not giving Kiddy a sniff inside the box.

Second leg, and despite again having the better of the play, we conceded twice from corners and a another from a centre half inexplicably running under the ball.

To top it off, January summer signing Jamie Turley reacted poorly to a fine for his performance in the second leg (5.5 and at fault for the decisive goal) and will be shipped out after only a few months at the club. Some record signing!

2013/14 - Season Review

---

League: 4th (lost in playoff semis to Kidderminster)

FA Cup: 1st round (lost to Scunthorpe)

FA Trophy: 3rd round replay (lost to Salisbury)

Top performer: Jordan Sinnott (7.01 average rating)

Top scorer: Daniel Wishart (13)

Most assists: Josh Law (13)

---

A pretty successful campaign all up, but still disappointing to go out in the playoff semis when we had the ascendancy for much of the two legs. Our lack of a reliable goal scorer proved costly, with only two players hitting double figures (Wishart and Sinnott) and doing so from the left wing and central midfield respectively.

Gateshead stormed to the title by winning their last 14 league matches, while Luton joined them in the Football League to add to their FA Trophy win. At the other end of the table, it was Aldershot, Macclesfield, Southport and Lincoln that suffered relegation. In fact the Shots would have finished bottom even without their 10 point deduction, such was their poor form.

Our on-loan right winger Michael Coulson scooped the goal of the season gong, and I finished runner-up as manager of the season.

---

2013/14 - Conference Premier - 4th (lost in playoff semis)

2014/15 Pre-season

---

Media prediction: 4th

Title odds: 8/1

Board expectations: Respectable league finish, FA Cup 1st round, FA Trophy 4th round

Captain: Josh Law

Vice: Mansour Assoumani

---

We're the title smokies with both the media and the bookies, however the board are content with another respectable finish. For me the playoffs need to be the aim again, but as a part time club we're always going to be giving away some ground to the professional outfits.

---

Transfers:

x5pH02u.jpg

Ben Tomlinson - Scored 14 goals for the club two seasons ago, and comes back as the marquee summer signing. His best role is as a false nine and thus should fit well into our system.

Liam Hearn - The second former striker to make a return, he is still listed as a club icon and scored 15 times for Grimsby last term.

Danny Whitaker - An experienced left-sided attacker who has plenty of Football League experience.

Thomas Donegan - A former Everton and Fulham youth player, he looks like he can add some real quality to central midfield.

David Viana - Released by Luton, he is another creative type who looks promising.

---

Pre-season:

8VRvYBG.jpg

A mixed bag capped off with a nice morale booster to go into the first league match on. We face a tough start too, with a trip to relegated Wycombe and a home match against Grimsby.

August 2014 - Conference Premier

---

be3zxST.jpg

A really strong first month which establishes us near the top of the table early on. We should have beaten Wycome, conceding straight from kick off after scoring in the 88th minute, before we promptly found ourselves 0-2 down after 74 minutes in the home opener against Grimsby. Cue a quickfire treble to steal the points, and this inspired two excellent performances straight after, including revenge over Kiddy.

Woking was dour but we had the better of the chances, and the month was rounded off nicely as we saw off Chester with three first half goals. Star prospect Ryan Dillon finished runner-up in the young player of the month award, while I was second in the manager gong.

Harsh fining somebody for a 5.5

Ha yeah, I tend to let my emotions get the better of me sometimes.

However he seemed to have forgotten about being angry as the season date ticked over, so he is back in the starting line up and performing well.

September 2014 - Conference Premier

---

I4RCb65.jpg

Braintree away brought our first real test, and one that we failed. Despite only allowing them six chances, they took five of them in what was a disappointing and out of character defensive display. Newly-promoted Boreham Wood also came and set stall, and it took a stoppage time rebound from Turley after a long shot from Wishart cannoned off the bar.

Hereford was another potentially tricky fixture, but a clean sheet and two first half goals did the trick. Disappointingly we only took a point from two home fixtures, but a trip to minnows Brackley was just the antidote needed as we led 3-0 at the half. Welling was a fan day and a crowd of 999 saw all five goals before the break, before Tomlinson's 6th goal of the month was enough to see off over-achieving Tamworth.

Two short term loans came in this month; Morecamble centre half Daniel Devine and Burton's defensive midfielder Anthony Howell, and Dillon again finished runner-up in the young player of the month award.

October 2014 - Conference Premier

---

lpTAHON.jpg

So close to a perfect month, although the point at Halifax was not a bad result given we played nearly the whole second half with ten men. 1-0 against high-flying Ebbsfleet doesn't accurately reflect how one-sided the match was, and 3-2 certainly flattered Wrexham. Two direct free kicks from Wishart did the business at Dartford, despite missing star playmaker Dillon with a broken arm, suffered in the Halifax match.

We're also through to the first round of the FA Cup after a late Viana stunner sunk Brackley, despite giving up a 2-0 half time lead. Our opponents are non-league Wembley - is that an omen?! Either way, a win will put us only one game away from a potential EPL tie in the third round.

I was also awarded the manager of the month award.

November 2014 - Conference Premier

---

7pIzaXR.jpg

It was probably the month we had to have in the league, but hopefully it means we have gotten it out the way early. Cambridge was an even game, while Salisbury was a game of few chances for either side; the difference being they took theirs and we didn't. We invited league leaders Barnet to North Street next, and despite having more of the play, they were as clinical as you'd expect the top team in the division to be.

Nuneaton was a bit of a farce - we absolutely battered them, had 23 shots and 65% possession and took the lead twice, but were pegged back by a 30 yarder and then a mishit cross with ten minutes remaining. Hyde at home came at a good time - they only have four points in total - and we let out some frustration to climb back into the top three.

In the FA Cup it was a different story. Wembley was far more comfortable than the scoreline suggests, while we upset League One strugglers Morecambe to go into the hat for the third round. Wolves are one of the higher drawing teams in the Championship, but we drew them at home, which will severly hamper any potential earnings unless we can win or force a replay.

December 2014 - Conference Premier

---

PsLypfF.jpg

We bounced back in stunning fashion in December, continuing our win streak to a club-record seven. Barrow was a match we were expected to win, before an excellent double over Wycombe shot us up to second on the table and into the third round of the FA Trophy.

Our away form continued with a dominant performance at Grimsby, who were 4th at the time, and we didn't let complacency creep in against Telford, where Shaw opened the scoring with a goal of the season contender. A good point at Kidderminster ended a fine month.

Two more for the awards cabinet too, as I scooped manager of the month, and left back Jamie Robinson won young player of the month.

---

gslkfLo.jpg

Such a strong month has put us right back in the title race, and January kicks off with the visit from Wolves.

Stick it to the Wolves.

ywrN6YO.jpg

Wolves not nearly as threatening as I expected, while Tomlinson grabs his 21st and 22nd goals of a prolific campaign.

Our 4th round draw will be a trip to either Prem side Everton or Championship outfit Huddersfield.

Fantastic stuff in the League and Cup. Rode your luck a little it seems but that is the beauty of the cup. Hopefully will be rewarded with an away trip to Everton.

Unfortunately it's Huddersfield, who only get an average attendance of around 15K, as opposed to the 33K that turn out to Goodison every week.

Maybe a sniff of another upset, though? The Terriers are languishing in 20th.

January 2015 - Conference Premier

---

kdf9hyp.jpg

In the immortal words of Tom Petty; what goes up must come down. Although, aside from a predictably complacent performance against Woking, it was our inability to turn draws into wins which was our downfall, rather than any really poor performances.

The fairytale FA Cup run came to its conclusion at Huddersfield, although we were far from embarrassed, and it took penalties to get past Forest Green in the Trophy. January concluded with a disappointing draw at AFC Fylde, with the semi finals beckoning.

---

ahwpJ63.jpg

axAGuUP.jpg

We made the loan move of Howell permanent, after Burton didn't require a fee and his wages were reasonable.

However, the big news was the sale of Dillon. When Celtic came in on deadline day I couldn't say no, both financially and for the sake of the player. I managed to negotiate the offer to £350K up front, £250K over 12 months and 40% of any future profit made. He'll be worth far more than that in future, but given our stature as a part time, non league club, it was a no-brainer.

Bizarrely the board made 100% of the transfer fee available to me too, so the window has closed and I still have a £500K burning a hole in my pocket!

February 2015 - Conference Premier

---

RUGDu4n.jpg

A perfect month in the league, but once again it was our profilgacy that cost us a spot in a Wembley final. The first leg against Grimsby was a bloodbath in terms of possession, shots, clear cut chances, but we not only converted only one of seven clear opportunities into a goal, we also allowed Grimsby's one shot on target (three overall) to creep in. It meant we had to go there and get a result, and while we forced extra time in the last minute, they scored a third in the additional half hour.

Two free transfers join: striker Eliot Richards and centre half Yado Mambo, both until the end of next season.

March 2015 - Conference Premier

---

JrHOtq4.jpg

Another stunning month which has confirmed our spot in the playoffs and given us a fighting chance at automatic promotion. Two goals in three minutes turned around a half time deficit at Exeter, before we disappointingly blew a lead of our own at Ebbsfleet. Four in five at home gave us a real chance to continue momentum, and we won all four, with a strong performance at Wrexham smack bang in the middle.

This means we end the month four points off Barnet at the top and eight points ahead of third, with a game in hand on everyone around us. A late strike from Richards clinched a playoff spot against Dartford, and we have six to play.

Two more transfers in 'keeper Lenny Pidgeley on a free and young holding midfielder Solomon Sambou on loan from Fulham.

Finally, we featured in all of the awards. David Viana won player of the month, I won manager of the month, Thomas Donegan was second in the goal of the month and Jamie Robinson was third in the young player of the month, in addition to picking up his first England u19s cap against Ireland.

---

pvO2lFX.jpg

A poor intake from which no one was offered a contract.

A good read so far. It would make it easier following if you posted a league table with every monthly update to follow your progress.

I like to keep a bit of suspense! I might start doing it every couple of months or something.

Why didn you pick up those two 3*+ recruits? They should provide some skill in the youth team to help the whole team develop, and could maybe generate a buck or two in sales in a couple of years. Tight on wages? Don't want to be bothered?

I will generally only sign players who have any chance of making the first team (even as a back up). Even those with three stars had horrible mental or horrible technical stats.

April 2014 - Conference Premier

---

BZpgwVJ.jpg

A third straight undefeated month in the league leaves us withint touching distance of the title. Four clean sheets in a row produed 10 of a possible 12 points, as we feasted on sides in the bottom half of the table. This brought about a showdown with Barnet in the season's pernultimate fixture, with both clubs tied atop the table with 95 points. They had the goal difference but we certainly had the momentum, with 14 wins and two draws in our last 16 league fixtures.

A goal after just three minutes from Shaw prefaced an absolute battering on the Barnet goal, and when Wishart cracked in a free kick to double our advantage, it was the absolute least we deserved.

I stuffed up my half time team talk however, and as the second half kicked off, nine of the 11 on the pitch showed the "looking complacent" while Barnet had seven with "looking motivated". They peppered our goal, and in pulling one back in the 54th minute, seemed on their way to a comeback win.

But we dug deep, regained ascendancy in the midfield, and with 13 minutes to go capitalised on a 'keeping error to seal the points. Another in injury time was the icing on the cake, leaving us just needing a point on the final day.

Both teams play relegated sides; we go to Hyde and they host Welling.

WCDAPSZ.jpg

With only two wins all season, not many would have put their hard earned on Hyde, but they burst out of the blocks with their first attack, taking the lead after 21 minutes. While Barnet were busy putting three first half goals past Welling, Hyde doubled their lead two minutes later with a direct free kick. Suddenly we were staring down the barrel of the choke to end all chokes.

Getting a goal before half time was imperative, and loan star N'Guessan duly obliged, slotting in his 16th of the season from a tight angle. A rocket at half time had the desired result, as Richards benefited from another 'keeping error to head in from a yard out. Barnet were four up at this stage, so there will still no room for error, but we managed to navigate the final 40 minutes without any drama. Which of course meant...

YabCThw.jpg

2014/15 - Season Review

---

League: 1st (promoted as Champions)

FA Cup: 4th round (lost to Huddersfield)

FA Trophy: Semi final (lost to Grimsby)

Top performer: Ben Tomlinson (7.17 average rating)

Top scorer: Ben Tomlinson (34)

Most assists: Ben Tomlinson, David Viana (13)

---

An incredible season, in which we hunted down the title in the final two months, and produced a couple of excellent cup runs. Throw in the club record sale of Dillon to Celtic and it was just as successful off the park, and sets us up well for turning professional as we step into the Football League.

The biggest key was the presence of a prolific goal scorer. Where our top scorers last season were a winger and a central midfielder, the signing of Tomlinson proved to be money very well spent, as he netted 34 times. With wide men Wishart (15) and N'Guessan (16) providing another 31 goals, some of the attacking football we produced was superb, and complimented the second best defence in the league very well.

Barnet, after leading for 27 weeks straight, couldn't even get out of the playoff semis, as Wycombe joined us in League Two for 2015/16. I also won manager of the year to cap everything off nicely.

---

2013/14 - Conference Premier - 4th (lost in playoff semis)

2014/15 - Conference Premier - 1st (promoted as Champions)

Archived