The Fulcrum - Silk & Steel. A complete Tactical System for 14.1.4 and beyond......

Thought about a lot of things! Struggling to improve on what I've already put out.

Don't like amr/aml or 3 in AMC position so I'll leave that for others.

Short term I think Rainmaker & Silk & Steel need a combined thread as a few people are using 1 whilst not being aware of the other. They work well in tandem.

Think I can squeeze enough out of them both by tweaking a few bits to call them v2's.

Rainmaker isn't even set up for long throws which must be worth 5 goals a season for example.

I have also changed my views on key attributes in many cases.[/quote

No worries Mr Rosler, just an idle thought.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay time for a little update.

I was in my 4th season with Roma. I started using the Fulcrum in the middle of the 1st season, somewhere on page 7 I tracked what had happened, the short version is.

1st season: 4th in the league

2nd season: 1st in the league

3rd season: 1st in the league - knocked out in groups in CL

So I started the 4th season with Roma, I had a perfect squad for the tactic, good 1st team and good backups. The 4th season was crazy annoying, I ended 6th in the league with 16 wins and get this 15 draws ! I could not manageto kill games, no one could score consistent and what not. I said to myself I would resign if I didn't win the CL which I was in the semi's vs Man Utd.

I went to trafford, played S&S to begin with and lost 3-1 - okay results in a sense, 2nd leg came, I went Rainmaker and got up 4-0 in the first half ! Holy ****, I could actually do this, they need 2 goals. Low and behold - of course they score the 2 goals in the 86th and 90th minute, leaving me heart broken. I decided to re-sign, I couldn't handle another league season without CL battles - and I felt my squad was somewhat perfect but the players just couldn't win the right games.

I got a job offer from Inter in January of next year, Inter had been a crazy mid-table team, never ending above 7th. I came in and saw they had been playing a 352 so I the squad didn't fit the 4132 so I had to do some transfers, bought myself 4x MC's who could play various roles.

Went on a crazy run after the initial gelling and won 8 games in a row, sky-rocketed from 14th to 5th. Got a bit of a slump in the later end of the season and ended 7th. Still I was happy with it, team had potential and I had a ST who scored for fun when I came in, he ended the season with 26 goals, and on my run he scored an avarage of 2 goals per game, 3 of them being 90th minute winner. Alberto Cerri is the lad - check him out.

So next season came, I wanted a CL placing which is now 4th or above. I also got into the EL because of the cup winner already having a EL spot. So I set sight for a Cup run and a CL spot and decided to let my backups play EL - at least to the quarter finals.

Long story short, I played pretty good. Won the cup, the EL and ended 3rd in the league, but it was crazy close to being 5th and only the odd win away from being champions. It was similar to Roma in the league in the way that I was crazy good when I was good, but then I couldn't for the life of me score enough ! I ended up with 90 goals scored. Cerri again scoring for fun, 32 games, 27 goals.

In the EL the spotlight was stolen by a lad named Hervin Ongenda - he scored for fun, 3x hattricks and 1x quad. Cerri was rested for the EL because both of them seemed to thrive in the CF role. Ongenda was first thought as a F9 seeing he had the creativity and was recommended as a Treq - but he couldn't get going in the F9 and my purchase from when I came in of Gaston Ramirez played the F9 to perfection in the league, 22 games, 11 goals and 10 assists.

Now onto the next season, I again felt I had completed my squad, I have a completely double squad - 2x CF's, 2x F9's etc. but again it's starting to look like that Roma season. I've played 7 league games, won 3, drawn 1 and lost 3.

And it's always the same, it's games I should be winning for the most parts, some more than others but still.

One thing that I've found out to be crazy annoying and can't remember if it was the same with Roma, but it's the amount of mistakes that lead to goals. The GK has a distribute to full backs, which is often great. But I've to often seen some crazy silly goals. And I hate it.

I can't seem to get this tactic to be perfect, it's good sometimes, amazing some games but then it seems to be just inconsistent enough to cost me points I need.

Mind you after I have the squad I like I play the Rainmaker way more, I mean I'm playing as a good team with some world class players so the S&S should really only be for the top teams and tricky ties.

One thing I noticed with Roma when I was playing the Rainmaker in my 3rd season was that I managed to keep crazy clean sheets, 8 games in a row once. But the S&S is supposed to be that tactic.

Also another thing, I play on key highlights - and during the later stages of my Roma games I had games with only one or two hightlights, It seemed like teams manage to park the bus very effectively, would you suggest playing the S&S when teams park the bus or stick with Rainmaker and hope it pays dividends ?

Rainmaker should be able to deal with parked defences. You are seeking to dominate at an elite level now so you need elite players, all of your first choice midfielders should have at least 17 passing + exellent flair, creativity. Same for your false 9. Your complete forward should have 18+ acceleration + 16+ finishing.

If that is not the case you need to revisit your squad building.

The consistant creation of Clear Cut Chances remains the bane of my existance. you can get 6 in one game then only 1 the next.

Once i've done with v2 versions of S&S and Rainmaker that will be my main focus.

Having read 'the Hand of God's piece at the top of the main tactics forum I realise Rainmaker should be set up on an Attack/Balanced mentality and NOT Very Rigid. You can pre-empt v2 by changing this yourself, it should help.

I am now set for new challenge.

I didn't join Parma though, i got an offer from Bologna in Serie A and decided to take the job.

Squad is quite poor for Serie A (there are some good players though). Will have to settle for aiming mid table on first season. Board expectation is avoid relegation, so not too much pressure for success at this point.

First task of course is to get Rainmaker, Rainmaker B and Silk & Steel fluid.

Also had to make some changes to staff, quite poor coaches and way too many physios.

Already made Frigg offer for few of my old players as they are good enough to immediately contribute in Serie A and have potential to become stars here.

edit:

I subscribed to Frigg, to see what they will do after i leave.

No big surprise that they have already sold a number of players that i brought in and who i thought to be important players.

Mainly from central midfield area. What they have brought in as replacements? Wingers of course... I naturally didn't have any of those and the new manager probably wants to play something with wingers...

Then again, i have been offloading wingers in Bologna with knockdown prices, so i can bring more suitable players in. I had only 1mil transfer budget to start with, not much for Serie A, but the club isn't rolling in cash at the moment.

Attempt #1 with these tactics resulted in my firing in mid December from AS Monaco. Started the season horribly but had climbed up from last into 9th position in the league. However, I drew my last 2 league games against weaker opponents and then lost in the league cup competition while I tried to rest 3 or 4 guys. My lowest moment was a 5-0 thrashing at the hands of OM after they went down to 10 men 11 mins in.

Did not have great success scoring goals with these tactics and defensively set pieces were a nightmare. Not sure if Falcao fit well into the system. Off the ball, finishing and composure were great but acceleration and pace were only 14 and 13 respectively.

Has anyone ever felt like FM had just decided that when you turn the game on that you will do ****, and then the opposite ?

I played a couple of games during noon, won I think 1 and drew or lost 3 or 4.

Turned the game off and have just gone off, on a crazy run. This game baffles me so much. Anyways, tried going Balanced with the Rainmaker and seems to be good, although I've been playing S&S a bit more against teams closer to me and Rainmaker only against teams I'm clear favorites.

I'll update after the night

Well this is somewhat awkward, I might have talked to fast a couple of posts above haha - I was complaining how I couldn't get consistency and what not, having gone 3-1-3 in the league in the opening 7 games. Well here's how the rest of the season went.

I won the league, or well I thrashed it. I broke the point record I set myself with Roma in the 2nd season of 90 points and got 91 points.

I won the Cup real easily, only played backups until the final (Although my 2nd tier team is pretty amazing - they won 8-0 a game I was resting my 1st XI for a CL game)

And I got to the CL finals - knocked out Valencia, Chelsea and City. PSG won the final but it was a pretty heart breaking affair, I got a red card on the 25th minute when Dodo decided it would be smart to go in two-footed. I actually had 2 REALLY good CCC's after that and both fell to my amazing ST - Alberto Cerri, but he somehow just wasn't meant to have the crowning he deserved.

I want to talk a bit about my Inter squad I have now. I took charge of them 2 and a half seasons ago, then they where 14th in the league and the squad was bleak, they had some really promising players and some that could be great, one of them of course being Cerri. I also made what looks like the signing of all signings in my first couple of days. Like I said earlier when I got the Inter job they had been playing a 352 with players in the squad to match. Meaning 6 DC's and a couple of wingers and not to many MC's.

So I brought in some players and one of them was a Mario Pugliese for a mere 475k from PSG - he didn't look like a world-class player to be honest and I mostly just went for it because he was solid across the board and that price was pretty good.

Low and behold, Pugliese is one of the first names on the team sheet, he is valued at 25,5m and has the top teams attention. Not a bad piece of business that.

Next season I hope I can get that CL title I have been longing for both at Roma and Inter, seeing as I have won most other titles, except for the Euro Super Cup - stupid PSG stole that in the beginning of this season aswell.

My biggest problem has been to get my F9 to perform good throughout the season, I have 3 players who I try to play there and none play GREAT. They have their games but then go missing, although in the end of this season I did get Hervin Ongenda to play it pretty good. He has all the attributes to play it amazing, so I might look to stick him there for next season and buy a solid backup. Gaston Ramirez is my current backup and he is getting older.

sbqwy9.png

Sitting bottom of the table, struggling for form and couldnt buy a win, so i change to your tactic and after a couple of weeks started to climb the table, finished in the play-offs with a win in the last game but lost in the final 3-0, onwards and upwards for next season

sbqwy9.png

Sitting bottom of the table, struggling for form and couldnt buy a win, so i change to your tactic and after a couple of weeks started to climb the table, finished in the play-offs with a win in the last game but lost in the final 3-0, onwards and upwards for next season

Thanks for that. You should be up next season although with only 1 automatic promotion spot you could run into a monster team.

Make sure your CF/A quick and he should kill that division.

I'm getting all nostalgic for Skrill North now.....

I would also say Rainmaker and S&S need a v2. The patch 14.2.2 has some subtle changes that when tweaked can further improve these tactics. A combined thread would be great as a Home & Away Tactic. And please do include the defensive and attacking corner tweaks....plus the throw-ins setup.

mr rosler -i`m about to start a save as birmingham in the championship we are predicted to finish 18th so would you use S&s or rainmaker.we have no money so i1m going to have to use young players

S&S as default tactic. Rainmaker when home favourite or you need to pull back a goal.

I would also say Rainmaker and S&S need a v2. The patch 14.2.2 has some subtle changes that when tweaked can further improve these tactics. A combined thread would be great as a Home & Away Tactic. And please do include the defensive and attacking corner tweaks....plus the throw-ins setup.

I agree,they aint as effective anymore

Yet SI are adament there were no changes AT ALL to the ME during the last 2 updates.

It does look/feel different to me but I put that down to my own paranoia.

Might run the Chelsea season again using Rainmaker to see if the results are different although there will be some varience anyway.

The rainmaker tactic is very effective with my Nottm Forest team, changed from very rigid to balanced fluidity and im fighting chelsea for top stop. Thats on 14.2.2, best tactic ive used since the latest patch killed off my previous tactic.

Good to know!

The rainmaker tactic is very effective with my Nottm Forest team, changed from very rigid to balanced fluidity and im fighting chelsea for top stop. Thats on 14.2.2, best tactic ive used since the latest patch killed off my previous tactic.

Interesting, i am testing the same now, to see how it goes.

Changed both Rainmaker and Rainmaker B to "Balanced" mentality.

First game with Rainmaker B went well beyond expectations.

We were playing away against Juventus. Their media prediction is 1st, ours is 16th.

Normally i would have gone with S&S, but i thought i'd surprise them by more attacking style, Rainmaker B with balanced mentality certainly did the trick.

hf29.jpg

Interesting, i am testing the same now, to see how it goes.

Changed both Rainmaker and Rainmaker B to "Balanced" mentality.

First game with Rainmaker B went well beyond expectations.

We were playing away against Juventus. Their media prediction is 1st, ours is 16th.

Normally i would have gone with S&S, but i thought i'd surprise them by more attacking style, Rainmaker B with balanced mentality certainly did the trick.

hf29.jpg

Whats interesting to me about those stats is that you lost the possession battle (marginally) yet you managed to get 5 clear cut chances against their 0.

Its FAR easier to get clear cut chances when you are countering against a high rep team who is all over you.

Its very difficult to get clear cut chances when you dominate possession. When developing a tactic for a Dominant Team all you can really do is try and overwhelm opponents with sheer weight of numbers with 30 + shots which will include lots of long shots, loads of corners hopefully you'll score one and hopefully your strikers will put away one of the 3 or 4 or half chances or the 1 or 2 clear cut chances you create.

This is not realistic at all. The dominant team would normally create more and better chances in real life.

One of the many things about this ME that is utterly pants.

Great result though!

Whats interesting to me about those stats is that you lost the possession battle (marginally) yet you managed to get 5 clear cut chances against their 0.

Its FAR easier to get clear cut chances when you are countering against a high rep team who is all over you.

Its very difficult to get clear cut chances when you dominate possession.

One of the many things about this ME that is utterly pants.

They were playing i a bit different formation than what i am used to face.

It was 5-1DM-2-2, so they had slightly more possession, but they were not dominating at our end of the pitch.

Actually the only goal they scored, was a fluke if you ask me. Their wing back shot to post, from where it bounced to the back of my keeper and from the keeper again to post and from the post to goal :D

They were playing i a bit different formation than what i am used to face.

It was 5-1DM-2-2, so they had slightly more possession, but they were not dominating at our end of the pitch.

Actually the only goal they scored, was a fluke if you ask me. Their wing back shot to post, from where it bounced to the back of my keeper and from the keeper again to post and from the post to goal :D

The point is Juve, at Home, facing a low rep team would ATTEMPT to dominate you even if that was not working they wouldn't change their tactics or mentality until very late in the match if at all.

As soon as you plonk a tactic in front of them that doesn't allow them to dominate they are very vulnerable.

This is why newly promoted teams can finish in the top 6 season 1 after arriving in the top league. everyone is gunning for them.

Season 2 the 'rep' gets a boost and life gets more difficult.

The point is Juve, at Home, facing a low rep team would ATTEMPT to dominate you even if that was not working they wouldn't change their tactics or mentality until very late in the match if at all.

As soon as you plonk a tactic in front of them that doesn't allow them to dominate they are very vulnerable.

This is why newly promoted teams can finish in the top 6 season 1 after arriving in the top league. everyone is gunning for them.

Season 2 the 'rep' gets a boost and life gets more difficult.

True that :)

We have actually started above expectations. 3 games played, 3 games won.

Still, long season to play, so i don't think we can maintain this form for the whole season.

One thing i find quite interesting in managing at Italy, is that there is no squad registration and you can have 12 subs (only use 3) in every match.

Makes squad building much more flexible than for example in Norway, where you could only register 9 foreign players at time. Although you could change the registration when ever you wanted to.

edit:

They actually did change to 2-4-4 around 75mins, at that time i changed to S&S.

They got a few chances at the end, but no goals.

Very happy with v2 versions of Rainmaker and Silk & Steel.

Unbeaten in League halfway through the season.

More importantly for me I can see why we are winning, decent number of CCC's every game, playing proper dominating football with Chelsea.

Once i've finished my Chelsea season i'll do a season with a small team and then post everything up.

Not touched player roles or instructions at all but have polished set-pieces attacking and defending, changed fluidity approach on Rainmaker and most significantly reworked some new ideas into the team instructions which have made a big difference.

Objectives for the Chelsea test.

Primary

Improve points tally over original Rainmaker.

Improve goal difference over original Rainmaker.

Secondary

Try and attain an invincible season in League (never done that).

Try and score in EVERY league game. (Important to me).

So far we are on track for all of these at the halfway point in the season.

ae3r.png

Had some major injuries to key players as well including Mata who is my star False 9 being out for 5 months so even more pleasing.

Looking forward to v2 :-)

How are you employing the tactics ? Home/Favourite = Rainmaker , Away/Underdog = S&S ? And any changes to your training regime ?

That will vary depending on how strong your team is.

With Chelsea I'm using Rainmaker for all Home games and All Away games EXCEPT away to Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Tottenham and Liverpool.

Will probably use S&S for away tie in Champions League knockout rounds.

Also switched to S&S when leading by only 1 goal after 70 mins to protect lead.

Would be different for a low rep team I.e Cardiff would be S&S for ALL games except when home favourite etc.

Will go into more detail on this when I do full post.

I've really struggled using Cardiff with both S&S and RM even with the corner defensive tweaks i seem to not be able to get out of the corner and end up conceding either straight from the corner or seconds later.

Will probably use Cardiff for my low rep test.

Corners are a mess full stop. There is only so much you can do tactically.

Having a strange season with Bologna.

We play very well against stronger opponents, but really struggle against weaker opponents.

On top of that, we play much better away than we do at home. It seems that my team can't handle being favorites...

I think i will have to try to adjust my team talks, because the usual stuff is not working right now.

Still, we are doing well, much better than expected so in that sense all is well.

Been using the Silk & Steel tactic with my Solihull Moor side - won promotion in my first season in the playoff. Great tactic - one complaint though. I tend to take 2 to 3 goal lead, and then always give up a couple in the last half hour of the game.

In the first playoff against Boston Utd, I had a 3 goal lead, only to give up 3 in the last half hour. Saw the same thing in the playoff final.

I'd welcome some suggestions late game tweaks to preserve the lead.

Been using the Silk & Steel tactic with my Solihull Moor side - won promotion in my first season in the playoff. Great tactic - one complaint though. I tend to take 2 to 3 goal lead, and then always give up a couple in the last half hour of the game.

In the first playoff against Boston Utd, I had a 3 goal lead, only to give up 3 in the last half hour. Saw the same thing in the playoff final.

I'd welcome some suggestions late game tweaks to preserve the lead.

I will give the same suggestion i have done a few times before :)

On match screen, put the own team "body language" visible.

When giving half time team talk / individual talks, take note what your team mentality / body language looks like.

If there are players with status "complacent", "uninterested" or "nervous" it can/will cause problems during the second half.

Half time talks can win or lose the game for you.

Just today i was playing against Udinese. We were down 0-2 after first half. Successful half time talk, players very motivated, ended up winning 4-2.

edit:

on important matches it's even more crucial. Players can be nervous just because of the weight of the match and wrong selections in team talks can make bad situation worse.

edit2:

One more thing.

At later stages of match, it is important to check if players are getting tired. Especially defenders and midfielders. Make substitutions to make sure that you have fresh legs protecting the lead. If you are leading, it's better to let strikers get tired, so you can keep defense fresh.

Been loving Silk and Steel! Have had 4 promotions in 4 years with Stockport. Unfortunately, I think it's caught up to me. I've stopped scoring, having gone 5 games without even a goal. I'm still outshooting the opposition handily, but little else. I'm in 1st in League One with opposition now closing in fast. I'm hoping we turn it around, now that my "week of hell" (4 games in 6 days) is over.

I wanted to try Rainmaker to hopefully get over the hump, but I'm not sure if I trust my players now. Over the last game week, the majority of my players have suddenly dropped a star and a half in their ratings. Either my scouts have decided to take up drinking (or to quit, not sure which yet), or my players are in the mid-season crisis of faith.

How do you get over mid-season dry spells? Hoping the tactical switch shakes things up.

Been loving Silk and Steel! Have had 4 promotions in 4 years with Stockport. Unfortunately, I think it's caught up to me. I've stopped scoring, having gone 5 games without even a goal. I'm still outshooting the opposition handily, but little else. I'm in 1st in League One with opposition now closing in fast. I'm hoping we turn it around, now that my "week of hell" (4 games in 6 days) is over.

I wanted to try Rainmaker to hopefully get over the hump, but I'm not sure if I trust my players now. Over the last game week, the majority of my players have suddenly dropped a star and a half in their ratings. Either my scouts have decided to take up drinking (or to quit, not sure which yet), or my players are in the mid-season crisis of faith.

How do you get over mid-season dry spells? Hoping the tactical switch shakes things up.

I may have to eat my words... Right after I post this, we turn things around and are back on pace. Even had a brilliant 1-0 win against Liverpool in the FA Cup!

I think the mid season drop off in form is due to fixture congestion, tiredness, complacency if you're doing well etc rather than anything tactical. Normally you just have to rotate squad as much as possible and eventually you get in a good run again.

If there is a 7 day gap between fixtures sometimes i'll just give the squad 3 days rest, an un-official winter break so to speak.

I think the mid season drop off in form is due to fixture congestion, tiredness, complacency if you're doing well etc rather than anything tactical. Normally you just have to rotate squad as much as possible and eventually you get in a good run again.

If there is a 7 day gap between fixtures sometimes i'll just give the squad 3 days rest, an un-official winter break so to speak.

It's true, every season there seems to be a point when you just can't play at the normal level.

Never thought about mid season break, have to try that.

What i have been doing is that, if there is more than 10 days between fixtures, i have arranged friendly against weak team, so my team can practice scoring and boost morale :D

OK,

Finished Chelsea season using new v2's.

Very happy that its an improvement on the v1's

vhdg.png

Thats 13 points more than v1 with Goal difference +14 better.

Scored in every League game.

Didn't manage to go unbeaten losing 2 games in the league but 96 points season 1 with no transfers is a very high benchmark.

Only downside was losing to Barcelona in the semi's of Champions League on penalties despite being the better team in both legs and losing to Swansea in the FA Cup semi final after extra time.

Did pick up the League Cup though.

The league table was always going to be the main Barometer anyway.

Now for the Norwich test. They got relegated in this test.

Since moving back to 14.2 S&S, we've been awesome. Winning the Skrill Premier (having struggled to mid-table the year before), then promotion via the League 2 play offs (should have won the league) and now after 24 games in League 1 we're 12 points clear at the top!

Bolton and Sunderland are fighting off relegation to League 2...

I've also just signed 6 Irish teenagers who were on amateur contracts, and they all have Premier League potential. 3 of them are in my 1st team squad, albeit non-first choice.

Since moving back to 14.2 S&S, we've been awesome. Winning the Skrill Premier (having struggled to mid-table the year before), then promotion via the League 2 play offs (should have won the league) and now after 24 games in League 1 we're 12 points clear at the top!

Bolton and Sunderland are fighting off relegation to League 2...

I've also just signed 6 Irish teenagers who were on amateur contracts, and they all have Premier League potential. 3 of them are in my 1st team squad, albeit non-first choice.

V2 is out on another thread. (can't miss it) but it looks like you don't have a reason to change!

Tactic has been on fluid since the first game of the season... even in pre-season friendlies we managed a 3-3 draw with Arsenal and a win over Burnley. It's not like my strikers are scoring huge amounts, either... First choice pairing have 20 league goals between, out of the 51 we've scored.

Thank you Mr Rosler for your tactic. Just won the championship with Bournemouth in my first season, with minimal transfers because of the budget. Most matches were kind of a rodeo. I ended up with 87 points, 95 goals scored, 64 goals against. Rantie scored 26 goals in 43 matches and Pitman 20 in 47.

Archived