Possible issue with injuries?

A common complaint in FM is that there are too many injuries. Usually the counter-argument from mods/devs is that when you compare FM numbers to RL numbers, the amount of injuries is pretty much spot on. Personally, I don't dispute this and think that the actual quantity of injuries is normal. But that doesn't mean the game is necessarily treating injuries realistically.

What I'm curious about is whether injuries are too heavily weighted towards attacking players, especially ones with high attributes. In 1 season with PSG, I saw Ibrahimovic, Cavani, and Lavezzi rack up about 9 combined months of injury time. None of these guys are historically injury-prone, yet their combined injury time was greater than the entire rest of my squad put together!!

So I started thinking of possible reasons, and most obvious one that comes to mind is hard tackling. Opposing managers set opposition instructions just like we do. And if assistant recommendations are any indication, they're going to set hard tackling on star strikers more than any other type of player. So this would pretty naturally lead to higher incidences of injury among star strikers.

So I guess my question is twofold:

1) Have other players experienced this phenomenon?

2) Is this realistic? Do strikers get injured at higher rates than defenders? Is it particularly true of top strikers?

An official SI Mod has just told me in the bugs forum (posted under a thread i started) that there are not enough injuries in FM compared to real life stats. This tells me this might change in a future update. More injuries coming possibly.

I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with more overall injuries but it's the distribution I'm concerned with.

Definitely not nearly enough injuries statistically. This is worsened by the almost non-existent major injury (9-18 month types) which I haven't ever seen in 450 hours of FM14 or way more than that in previous ones. In fact, I think my worst injury in FM14 is 4 months. There are also nowhere near enough very minor knocks or injuries that keep a player out one game or so.

Finally, the other thing missing is those nagging injuries that don't stop players from playing, but affect them consistently over months until they can have an operation or long rest to recover. Those don't exist in FM either.

Although to the OP question, should strikers get injured more than defenders, my instinct says that's right, I can think of lots of ever-present defenders but not so many forwards, and I would guess that strikers are on the receiving end of heavy tackles more. That is purely my instinct and not at all empirical though.

It would be interesting if someone could do a count here and give us the breakdown of injuries, between defenders, midfielders, strikers, and keepers:

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

I'd do it myself but I'm not an avid enough fan to know some of the more obscure players. The table shows 94 current injuries in the EPL, which is almost 5 per team on average.

I hope there are not going to be more injuries. I've had a few periods in my season where i've had 3 or 4 of my main squad injured. I've also been having a fair few of my young players injured too. I wouldn't want to see more injuries, yes it may be a bit more realistic but if you ask me i wouldn't say where it is at now is making the game un-realistic, i think the balance between 'it's only a game' and 'real life' with injuries is perfect.

Maybe you do have a point with positions of injured players though. Most of my injuries seem to be with creative midfielders and strikers. Don't think any of my 5 centre backs have had an injury in my current season and i'm at the end of December.

I did a quick analysis, just counting the 6 "big" EPL clubs where I'm familiar with all of their players:

20 total injuries

9 defenders

10 midfielders

4 wingers

7 strikers

So even if you combine wingers and strikers I'm not seeing a huge imbalance towards attacking players getting injured more. Of course this is a very limited sample size.

I did a quick analysis, just counting the 6 "big" EPL clubs where I'm familiar with all of their players:

20 total injuries

9 defenders

10 midfielders

4 wingers

7 strikers

So even if you combine wingers and strikers I'm not seeing a huge imbalance towards attacking players getting injured more. Of course this is a very limited sample size.

Just off the top of my head I think logically attacking players are (slightly) more likely to be injured, why?

Well they are the ones being tackled and trying to get out of the way so in terms of impact injuries they should be more likely to suffer than the defenders going into the tackle. On top of that you have the quick change of direction to try to jink past a defender and the explosive turn of pace which leads to twists/sprains and muscle injuries.

Just off the top of my head I think logically attacking players are (slightly) more likely to be injured, why?

Well they are the ones being tackled and trying to get out of the way so in terms of impact injuries they should be more likely to suffer than the defenders going into the tackle. On top of that you have the quick change of direction to try to jink past a defender and the explosive turn of pace which leads to twists/sprains and muscle injuries.

I get that logic, and it's effectively the same logic the game is using. I'm just curious as to whether actual injury statistics bear it out IRL.

Keepers don't get injured enough I'm pretty certain, in fact I can't remember when I last saw a keeper get an in match injury.

I've had my keeper get injured three times during matches this season. So it does happen, but must admit that prior to this season it hasn't happened much.

I've been lucky though, as it's been slight injuries. 5 days bruised rib, 2 days stubbed finger and the latest a damaged elbow after a fall and he's out for 9-11 days. Unfortunatly he will miss the CL semi final and the most important game of the season against Real Madrid (on equal points at the moment) :(

Defenders are just as likely to receive injuries from hard tackling as the attackers they are engaging. I personally received a hyper extended knee where both I and a forward slid into a 50/50 ball and his leg came down on my knee. Or in the example given of attackers quickly changing direction, this effects defenders as well as they are just as likely to pull or strain something trying to stay in front of the attacker.

So if they are looking to introduce more injuries to the game, I hope it's more on the defensive end as I feel the injuries are a bit one sided at the moment. Every injury I've seen in game to a defenseman or goalie has been a random injury in training.

• 1 month later...

Archived