Training in the lower leagues - is it worth it?

I play FM12, since FM13 processes too slowly on my laptop. I start most of my saves in the Blue Square North/South. I never pay attention to training until I reach the Championship . The reason I do not pay attention to it is that I don't think I'll be able to get enough coaches, or good enough coaches to make a difference and that most of my players will be released as I progress up the leagues. However, I was wondering whether anyone has achieved significant returns from training in the lower leagues?

One aspect of training that you need to pay some attention is pre-season fitness training. As a prevention against injuries.

Hmm, does that just guard against early season injuries or does it apply the whole season long? I would expect that as the season progresses the squad will be more or less match fit anyway and the benefits of pre-season training would have tailed off?

I think you are missing an opportunity if you ignore training at those levels. One example from my current save, using FM2013- but have also had success in FM2012, is when I managed to sign a player with good long throw and trained him to make bullet throws. The two key goals in my promotion run to get East Stirling up to BSP came off his throws and the goals they generated. I can understand your thought process in not doing training- but feel you are still leaving opportunities to improve you side on the table.

to me...it's selfish to the league and the nation as a whole to not develop those players. Besides, a better developed player generates higher transfer fees, right (assuming you transfer them instead of just dumping them outright)?

Archived