It aint half harsh in the prem!

Hello all,

Managed to get Cardiff in the prem and establish them as a semi stable premier league team. After surviving in the league for two seasons I was well into the third season (27/28 games in) and Southampton came calling. I couldnt say no. They were offering more money and looking more likely to push for Europe. I took the jump leaving Cardiff behind. Finished that season with the saints strong and even managed an 8th place finish in my first full season.

I had a bit of a decent run going first half of my second saints season when some patchy form hit, my team wasnt gelling with the newer players and I was 10th. As soon as I lost the 3rd game in a row we were 12th and by no means out of touch with teams above but after that third defeat i was shown the door :(

Gutted isnt the word. I started to build something and knew the team inside out.

When I took over Southampton were 10th so the manager then clearly hadnt done enough.

I am now on the job hunt maybe looking abroad until another opportunity arises (Germany, Spain also loaded)

The saints appointed Mark Hughes after me and they then finished 15th! They may as well have kept me! Maybe I could have turned it around.

Cardiff finished 16th, i have subscribed to them as I am always keen to see how they get on.

Still I can now hang around outside the job centre and see what comes up...

It's stories like this that maintain my faith in Football Manager.

I get a bit bored reading stories about people who finish 2nd with the likes of Swansea or Norwich in their first season, for me its not realistic and takes something away from the game, especially when the same signings come up in many peoples saves.

In your game you've been unlucky, but with football being the way it is these days its also quite conceivable that it could have happened in real life.

I know some people like the thought of racing through seasons and guiding their teams to instant success, but i much prefer the harsh end, building a team, managing finances tightly and not buying a whole new team every pre-season. Id much rather experience what you have than take over Man City and win everything straight away.

It's stories like this that maintain my faith in Football Manager.

I get a bit bored reading stories about people who finish 2nd with the likes of Swansea or Norwich in their first season, for me its not realistic and takes something away from the game, especially when the same signings come up in many peoples saves.

In your game you've been unlucky, but with football being the way it is these days its also quite conceivable that it could have happened in real life.

I know some people like the thought of racing through seasons and guiding their teams to instant success, but i much prefer the harsh end, building a team, managing finances tightly and not buying a whole new team every pre-season. Id much rather experience what you have than take over Man City and win everything straight away.

I agree 100% my favorite thing about it all is you can experience so many different possibilities. i have always liked a relegation scrap and maybe turning a semi awful team into something a little more stable and hopefully playing some attractive football.

Taken over at Mainz in German 1st division and will see how that goes. I long to go back to cardiff one day and see if i can continue there. I hope they would understand i made a mistake and jumped too soon...

The team has changed so much in the 3 years away from Cardiff but I can see they must have liked some of the younger players I brought through the ranks and even some purchases. What is interesting is they signed two strikers which is one thing i couldnt get quite right, my forwards were aging and the youngers ones brought in werent quite cutting it. The two they now have are actuall a mix of youth and experience and really quite good.

I dread my first year in germany but will always keep a close eye on the premier league for a job to come up!

There just is no fun in spending millions with Man city and winning all. Take Everton to Champions league after spending a little now thats what is exciting!

Harsh breaks but I reckon you get more involved in a save when something like that happens. Makes you more determined to prove them wrong. The German league is brilliant once you get used to it, I started unemployed on my last save and won the German second with 1860 Munich in my first season and loved it. Started another save unemployed and I've took over St Pauli in the German 2nd again because I enjoyed it so much.

I pulled my team up 3 levels to the Scottish Premier, and Motherwell keeps offering me a job at 3x the pay and 2x the player budget. I keep turning them down because they're always within 1-2 places of my team but they've been through 4 managers in 2 years. If they're firing their manager for a 5th-place finish, I don't need the hassle. I got my team up to 3rd and European Cup play and my board loves me - why leave?

• 4 weeks later...

Leeds went sour....Bournemouth came knocking (2 weeks before actually going to Bournemouth on a stag do ) !

Must be fate! Won league one with a few games remaining.

The championship was harsh with 12 games played and only 1 win it was not good...until....

Liverpool sat in 10th in the prem sack michael appleton. I apply for a laugh and they approached me! How could I turn down a return to the top flight? Amd a chance to get Liverpool into Europe!? Well I couldn't! I write this whilst giving my son a bath and as soon as he goes to bed I shall resume my premier league journey. I am now wondering if Suarez is still there and if I can tame him..or shall I make him suffer!

I also wonder what Appleton left behind!

Leeds went sour....Bournemouth came knocking (2 weeks before actually going to Bournemouth on a stag do ) !

Must be fate! Won league one with a few games remaining.

The championship was harsh with 12 games played and only 1 win it was not good...until....

Liverpool sat in 10th in the prem sack michael appleton. I apply for a laugh and they approached me! How could I turn down a return to the top flight? Amd a chance to get Liverpool into Europe!? Well I couldn't! I write this whilst giving my son a bath and as soon as he goes to bed I shall resume my premier league journey. I am now wondering if Suarez is still there and if I can tame him..or shall I make him suffer!

I also wonder what Appleton left behind!

Hate it when the care and upkeep of the little ones gets in the way of the pursuit of a championship. Honestly, if I had known about FM when my kids were younger and in need of constant bathing supervision, I would have just handed them a damp sponge and hoped for the best...and I'd be divorced.

Well scraped a digfight at the bottom and finished 16th (took over liverpool in 15th) got sacked.

Understandable really as we were plagued with defensive injuries from october until jan. One central def unregistered. When needed most. Telied on some kifs to get through. The swuad was so unbalanced.

Stupid really I got cieran clarke from villa in a swap deal with one of my strikers.what was stupid was leading up to jan transfer window he scored some good goals. Clarke got some injuries which was sods law!

Back on the job hunt.

Taken on my first international role with chile until a prem team comes up again.

Everton got relgated so if that pops up im going for it!

well reading this has made me want to go from my man united save were its harder to loose, to start a new game and take a poor club to the top of the footballing world and get sacked a lot of times on my way

Its all adding to the experience! Would be boring to win all the time!

Bournemouth ended sour whilst at Worcester I was approached by blackpool and couldn't save them in the championship.

Peterborough (also relegated) approached me. As did qpr in 8th. I chose Peterborough in the hope that I can return to the championship and restore some face...

Qpr owners may have only given me a short time. I aim to rebuild. Lets see if I have made the right choice..

Archived