International Management

hi guys, thinking of starting a new save managing an international team, I done this on FM08 and FM12 both with my homeland England but this time I want to do a different team, I'd like to do a nation who aren't favourites to qualify for the world cup ect... but have some promising youngsters, if possible a team who have once had success in big tournaments and I hope to bring it back for them!

who do you recommend?

I'm going to sound really obvious here: Belgium, not qualified for a WC recently but look good this time and some amazing talent.

Also, Denmark or Turkey.

Belgium was the obvious choice for me too but I want to do a team where I'm not as familiar with the first 11, for example I could near enough name a Belgian 11 without even looking at the squad

What about Columbia, they have some cracking players but a mediocre squad. Or Mexico they'd be quite fun to be since you'll generally have a few class players but never really a whole team of them.

I was thinking more European but will look into them choices!

Scotland are often ludicrously overpowered at times. I won the Confederations Cup with them in 2017 after they finished runner up at Euro 2016 to Germany. Took them to a couple of quarter finals in subsequent Euros and World Cups, and all with a pretty familiar squad (Rhodes, Forrest, Phillips and Steven Fletcher were brutal).

Certain nations go through periods of strange dominance in FM saves, and it's often quite random. My advice would be to start with one mentioned already - one of Croatia, Belgium, Mexico etc - and then try your luck elsewhere. Don't ever go by current real world reputation either - I had Scotland up to 4th in the World while England languished down at a record low of 32nd at one point. I've seen Bulgaria become a powerhouse, Tunisia almost win a World Cup, Costa Rica make a semi-final, Argentina and Brazil scraping qualification, Italy not qualifying after a period of dominance lasting eight years (two Euros and two World Cups in a row). It's a crazy game this International Management lark.

There is one constant though - OFC countries are and will always be rank rotten.

thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

I've decided to go with Mexico, I know I said Europe but I thought I would not only go into a team I was unfamiliar with but go into a continent which I am unfamiliar with too!!

decided to do a club team as well because I find I get a little bored if just doing a nation what with low amount of games! doing AFC Liverpool attempting to start at the bottom and work my way to the top!

Archived