The FM 41221 (433 - 451 - WoW)

Yeah, I got a juicy playmaking DM regen and absolutely had to use him so I shifted the focus of my midfield. I previously used DM/d,APM/s,APM/s with the MCs (APMs) being the focus of creativity, usually pairing a B2B style player (all-rounder) with a creative guy so that although tactically they were the same their character provided different playing styles. With the playmaker further back I'd need more energy infront, off the top of my head I probably swapped to 2 CM/supports (possibly B2B, although unlikely, although it would probably work) so that the focus of creativity was that DM rather than further forward.

The shift in the 'height' of the primary playmaker should also force other differences. For example, you may want more adventurous full-backs so the deep playmaker has more aggressive options, or you might want your FC to be more withdrawn so that he is a more ready pass option for the DLP too.

Defensively you have to consider that you're swapping from an industrious and solid DM to a DLP, who, whilst hopefully still being excellent positionally, probably isn't as good (or as enthusiastic) a defensive unit. So thats another consideration.

The other way I've used a DLP is to modify so that his forward runs was set to often, with one MC set to rare and the other also set to often. I then changed so that DLP is support to up his mentality, had one attack MC and one defend(maybe support) MC. This was in an effort to swap a 1-2 midfield into a 2-1 midfield. It was only mildly successful.

You've managed to put into words exactly what was going on in my head. Not an easy task. That is exactly how I had visioned playing with a DLP. Since then and with the help of BiggusD I have shifted my whole philosophy towards playing the game and have gone back to a DMd with tremendous results.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ScreenShot2013-10-12at210439.png

Hi guys, here is my attempt at the 41221. I've always wanted to get this formation working on FM but have never been able to. Would appreciate any suggestions or more experienced / tactically more astute people's views! About to play first match with it now, bet I get hammered haha.

ScreenShot2013-10-12at210439.png

Hi guys, here is my attempt at the 41221. I've always wanted to get this formation working on FM but have never been able to. Would appreciate any suggestions or more experienced / tactically more astute people's views! About to play first match with it now, bet I get hammered haha.

Swap your 2 MC's around - the DLP will provide better cover and the CM(A) is getting in the IF's way. Peg your DR to a full back instead, provide more cover. Your CD© should be at least a defend duty, as he needs to move to cover the left side if you are caught on the break, he is not at the moment.

You are playing a pressing game with an anchorman at DM and a covering defender - its a contradiction. Change your Closing Down or your player roles. A Counter-Attacking team is better off standing off and retaining shape, and your Anchorman and DLP suit that very well.

Cabaye should be your DLP. Tiote at DM position, and probably Sissoko in the CM(A) role - assuming default squad there. The CD should be a Stopper/Defend - if the left back is getting forward a Stopper duty will see him close down into the space if a ball gets played in behind your wing back. You have an Anchorman who would likely drop in and cover the centre-back in that instance so you retain a good shape. A Cover duty will see him stand off and let the player run in behind and have space to pick a cross.

Ah OK, I see how it would work now. Thanks. Not default squad no, I'm a few seasons in and after getting Charlton promoted to the Prem and safe mid table Newcastle offered me the job so I took it. Think I'm about to be sacked though, only managed to win 1 game in the Premiership so far after about 8 games :(.

I got Javi Garcia on loan from City so he's my DM. Anita was DLP and Cabaye CM/A. How about changing the CM/A to AP/A?

furiousuk, a lone striker as complete forward with attack duty but with likes to play offside trap as the only PPM wont really be a complete forward right? More like poacher or advanced forward?

I'm starting a new save with Atletic Madrid with 4-1-2-2-1. My idea was to use David Villa as trequartista or deep lying forward support, but with the lack of quick wingers in my team to be inside forwards and with that Villa ppm, i'll use Villa as complete forward attack. Arda Turan is smart and creative but he's not quick enought to be inside forward, so i'll use him as advanced playmaker support in one wing and i bought Insigne to be the attacking inside forward. My only fear is that Villa can compromise things a bit and leave too high up the pitch when sometimes he is needed a bit deeper.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

This is a maaaaaassive kick and I don't know how appreciated that is. 

Last week I've been searching about the 433/41221 on this forum and found this thread. This thread contains a real treasure of valuable information about the system: tips, tricks, experiences... I found a lot of useful advice in it.

I just wanted to share this thread with the rest of you people that searches for 433/41221 advice because I think this thread can be a real help, as I experienced myself

Archived