[FM11]Deltablue Rising II: Delta's Darlings.

deltablue

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats on winning the treble and good luck at Fortuna Dusseldorf :thup:
Wow, brilliant way to end things at Milan, truly great season.

Best of luck at Dusseldorf, that's a likable side and a nice challenge.

Excellent season :cool:. Good luck in Germany.

Thanks guys, unfortunately it didn't work out at all.

Aug/Sept 2070

Wurzburg 0-5 Dusseldorf (GC)

The first game was at non-league Wurzburg in the cup. Veteran forward Kirsch gave us the lead after 20 minutes, and on-loan defender Correa headed another late in the half. Kirsch scored again early in the second half, completing a hat-trick on the hour mark. We cruised to an easy win, new forward Hasanovic getting his debut goal just a day after his arrival, completing a 5-0 win.

Dusseldorf 6-3 Frankfurt (D2)

The league kicked off against Frankfurt, which I was expecting to be tough, but Kirsch and Albanian playmaker Abazaj gave us a 2-0 lead after 7 minutes. They tried to come back despite a red card but Correa’s header in the 28th minute made it 3-0. They pulled a goal back before the break, but Hasanovic and an own-goal put it beyond them after an hour. They had a couple more goals, with a header from Tunisian Benali in between, finishing off an epic opening day.

Hamburg 1-1 Dusseldorf (D2)

Things were trickier at a Hamburg side predicted to go down. They headed in a free-kick (won by a dive) at the end of the first half, a terrible finishing from the frontmen seemed to be costing us dear. We deserved a point (though probably not three), and in stoppage time an Abazaj headed at least ensured we got one despite an underwhelming showing.

Dusseldorf 4-2 Burghausen (D2)

We also had a frustrating time of things against Burghausen, who we were expected to beat. In the first half, Boll and Hasanovic gave us the lead only to be pegged back both times. It was third time lucky from Kirsch early on, and despite facing a plenty of pressure, a Correa header in the 69th minute sealed the win.

Aalen 4-1 Dusseldorf (D2)

After 7 points from the first 3 games, we had a massive problem at Aalen. They struck in the 5th and 15th minutes, with a 3rd in the 26th minute as we were struck helpless to do anything about them. They had another disallowed in the 55th minute, but while there was a little late effort which gave us a Hasanovic goal in the 87th minute (followed by Aalen’s 4th), the team had clearly written the game off just as I did and didn’t see the point in trying any more.

Dusseldorf 1-1 Koblenz (D2)

We started much better against Koblenz, and it was disappointing to go behind against the run of play in the 40th minute. We attacked hard in the second half, and it was a great relief to see Kirsch equalize in the 79th minute, but we should have had all three points.

Oct 2070

Stuttgart 1-0 Dusseldorf (D2)

We were on the back foot a bit in the first half at Stuttgart, not helped by Boll and Hasanovic going off injured (the latter, who had made a great start to Dusseldorf life, our for 5-6 months!). The game appeared to be heading for 0-0 when they struck in the 72nd minute, and after 7 points in the first 3 games, we only had 1 from the following 3.

Dusseldorf 0-2 Braunschweig (D2)

We also disappointed against Braunschweig, yet again not that bad, but not too good either. They scored their goals in the 9th minute, and after a similar amount of time in the second half.

Chemnitz 1-1 Dusseldorf (D2)

We needed to get firing against at bottom club Chemnitz. It didn’t look good when they took the lead at the end of the first half. Kirsch equalized in the 58th minute, though we were a little lucky not to lose, which wasn’t a great sign.

Dusseldorf 2-2 Aue (D2)

We had another try against another stuggling club, Aue. We failed to grab a goal in the first half, and went 2 goals down in the first 12 minutes of the second half. We fought back to get a point from defenders Correa and Paul, though we were way down in 13th for now.

Leverkusen 3-1 Dusseldorf (D2)

A trip to Leverkusen in the cup wasn’t likely to be comfortable, even against youths. They headed themselves into the lead in the 10th minute, and were 2-0 up after half an hour, Sobhy had a goal disallowed which would have finally given him his first goal for us. They weren’t that strong but a terrible performance denied us the chance to ever be in the match, though Sobhy finally scored a late goal after they had a 3rd.

Osnabruck 1-0 Dusseldorf (D2)

A trip to top club Osnabruck didn’t seem much fun either. Depressingly they had a 2 goal lead by the 32nd minute. In the 35th minute Abazaj scored a lucky penalty but it wasn’t enough to get anything.

oct70.jpg

I really should stop with this 'seeking one last club' business. It went very badly last time, and didn't go much better this time. I was so insecure after October that I felt like a lame duck manager and didn't see the point in carrying on and being sacked a few games down the line. We started well enough, then just regressed into mediocrity. However having completely disregarded the 'low-risk' criteria I had set out when leaving Milan, I soon had something else lined up that fitted the bill much better. Down to 19th place in League 1 I went with...

Charlton Athletic

Nov 2070

Charlton Athletic

After the failure of Dusseldorf, I went to the relatively low pressure atmosphere of Charlton. They were predicted 9th in league 1, and were currently 19th, a good low pressure place to start. They had 1.2M in the bank but very little transfer budget left, and were just over a 36.5kpw wage budget, so I was unlikely to make any moves over the season. They had a few good youngsters anyway so it wasn’t urgent, aside from only having one full-back, who wasn’t very good. After all those years and all those clubs, it looked like Brighton would be the first time I’d face a former club.

Charlton p1-1 Swansea (JPT)

I kicked off against Swansea (who were bottom of League 2) in the JPT. We were decent in the first half, but had a lack of finishing power, and had a penalty claim rejected. A red card in the 63rd minute didn’t help things either. Sub forward Stephensen gave us the lead in the 73rd minute, but a late equalizer took it to penalties. Goalkeeper West saved their 4th penalty, and Bulgarian midfielder Lazarov slotted home our 5th to send us through, but it should have been more comfortable, and I hoped we’d hit our stride soon.

Charlton 4-6 Ebbsfleet (L1)

The first league game was against Ebbsfleet. In an eventful first half, forwards Smith and Howard each gave us the lead, only to be pegged back both times. Ebbsfleet then took the lead, only for defender Johansen to head in a Lazarov cross on the stroke of half-time. Unfortunately saying that the defence were poor was an understatement. Ebbsfleet soon took a 5-3 lead, and after Irish winger Boyle pulled a goal back, Ebbsfleet got another to win 6-4 in a crazy game, that could have been a comfortable win. It meant we were just a point above a relegation zone I thought we’d comfortably keep clear of.

Charlton 2-0 Port Vale (L1)

We needed to do better against fellow strugglers Port Vale. Defender Hall headed us into the lead in the 17th minute. Darby gave us another on the hour mark, but they put us under considerably pressure throughout and the result could have been much different.

Southampton 4-1 Charlton (L1)

We hoped to follow that up by getting something at Southampton, who weren’t far above us. They took the lead after 5 minutes, and although we equalized from Hylton in the 11th minute, that was as good as it got. We were lucky to hold out for the rest of the half, but they took a 4-1 lead 15 minutes into the second half, Darby getting a late consolation.

Charlton 2-1 Crewe (FA)

We faced Crewe in the second round of the FA Cup. Stephenson and Boyle gave us a 2-0 lead after just 10 minutes. A lack of further goals and a late Crewe goal made it look tight at the end but we were comfortable for the first time since I took over.

League Table

Dec 2070

Charlton 1-5 Barnet (JPT)

We faced Barnet (top of League 1) in the JPT South Semi. As expected they were too strong, taking the lead in the 10th minute, and were 3-0 up in the 28th. Darby pulled one back at the start of the second half, but though I made a couple of subs in the hope to chasing it, a couple more goals finished us off.

Cardiff 0-0 Charlton (L1)

From top, to bottom side Cardiff in the league. We both had a few chances in an uninteresting game, though a point was better than nothing the way things are going.

Southend 2-2 Charlton (L1)

We looked like a decent team early on at Southend, and it was annoying that we hadn’t grabbed the lead. They inevitably scored, in the 57th minute, with another a few minutes later. We finally woke up, with goals from Darby and Howard making it 2-2 with 10 minutes left, and a disallowed injury time header for Southend ensured we’d get the point.

Charlton 0-0 Shrewsbury (L1)

Shrewsbury were another mid-table side we looked like we could beat. Again in the first half there were no goals but we looked far stronger. In the second half we were denied a penalty, and by a goalline clearance, but while it was A+ for effort, and it was good to see us play as well as I knew we could, we couldn’t get the goals to prove it, though maybe had Howard not gone off injured in the 8th minute, we would have comfortably done it. The really bad news was that we were now in the relegation zone on goal difference.

Brighton 2-2 Charlton (L1)

Oddly, having failed to look as good at Brighton than in the previous couple of games, Darby gave us a 24th minute lead. Smith gave us another, but we were perhaps riding out luck a bit. They pulled one back 10 minutes into the second half, and equalized in the 63rd minute, but they at least stopped threatening, however a point kept us in trouble.

Charlton 1-3 Fleetwood (L1)

Things were even against Fleetwood until they took the lead in the 18th minute. Hall headed an equalizer in the 25th but they retook the lead just afterwards. When I saw they had a forward called ‘Shaun Connery’ I knew we were in trouble, and having got both goals, he completed a hat-trick in the second half, and they even had a 4th disallowed. It was our first defeat in 5, which in another situation wouldn’t be too bad, but without wins we weren’t getting anywhere.

Charlton 6-2 Bournemouth (L1)

We managed to break that run against Bournemouth, and in some style. Lynch and Darby gave us a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes, Smith immediately making it 3-0. They pulled one back after half an hour, and again after Smith’s 50th minute goal, but defenders Jones and Merry finished off a 6-2 win. Both wins had been at home to sides in the relegation zone, but I knew we were capable of beating other teams as well playing like that.

West Brom 1-2 Charlton (L1)

Unfortunately we had an end of the year trip to West Brom, and I was expecting to be knocked back painfully after the high of Bournemouth. Smith gave us the lead in the 14th minute, and though they equalized 8 minutes later, we weren’t rolling over, Jones heading us back ahead. The second half was very uncomfortable but we held on for back to back wins!

dec70.jpg

This isn't looking like a comfortable season. I had made a mistake in taking Charlton without delaying a week first (which mostly do), or I'd have had a far better Wisla job instead. Still it's not like I need to chase glory any more, and Charlton was still as good a place as any to be. More often then not, improvement would be limited at best when arriving midway through a season, so I was just wanting to survive for now, preferably comfortably, but I was still hoping for better before Bournemouth, and could have had a couple more wins, so it was a relief to end 2070 on such a strong point. I wasn't expecting to storm up the table, but we'd probably have a better second half of the season. A few players I really wanted to keep would probably be leaving, but that meant that all going well in the spring, there should be plenty of room to make moves in the summer, which I don't have now.

Good luck with a new job. I think you will end up back in Milan again

Not for a very long time I expect.

Jan 2071

Preston 4-1 Charlton (FA)

We had a trip to League 2 Preston in the FA cup 3rd round. Darby gave us a 16th minute lead, bt we were very tired and not only did they quickly equalize, but they had the lead at the break. A far fresher Preston side dominated and scored two more in the second half.

Blackpool 3-1 Charlton (L1)

We were still tired when we went to Blackpool, who were below us, and who otherwise I had been hoping to get something against. They took the lead in the 19th minute, and ironically their second goal was a result of Hylton having too much energy, going in for the ball too enthustastically and putting it into our own goal. They got a 3rd on the stroke of half-time, but Lazarov at least got one back for us few minutes into the second half, and we might have got another as we improved.

Charlton 4-2 Ipswich (L1)

We would have a rest after we played Ipswich, but despite going behind in the 7th minute, Smith equalized in the 10th minute, and Lynch shot went in off the post and the keeper to give us the lead. The second half saw them push very hard indeed, eventually equalizing in the 72nd minute, but Smith scored again, and even though they kept pushing Lazarov stole us a 4th in the last minute. It knocked them out of the playoffs, but any regret I might have felt some other time was warded off by the fact that the win was vital to restore the 4 point safety margin.

Charlton 5-3 Northampton (L1)

We looked good when Jones gave us the lead after 20 minutes against Northampton, but this was not a season for being relaxed. They turned it around to lead 2-1, but then Smith came to the rescue, equalizing at the end of the half, and setting up Darby at the start of the second. A Merry penalty was followed by Lynch, as I was bringing a touch of the San Siro to the Valley, though they scored a late 3rd.

MK Dons 1-1 Charlton (L1)

We went behind early on at MK Dons, and though we equalized in the 15th minute from Smith, we only had a handful of chances, while they had many, and very much rode our luck for the rest of the match to get a point.

Dover 2-2 Charlton (L1)

The trip to Dover was a very rare visit (pretty much) home. They had come back down after a brief trip to the Championship. That meant nothing as Smith gave us a 5th minute lead. We had a few more chances before they started fighting back, but after they equalized, Boyle teased them by restoring the lead after 20 minutes. They had plenty of pressure against a weak-looking defence, but we very nearly got away with it. Sadly justice was done with a last minute equalizer, but I was pretty happy to have got something.

Feb 2071

Barnet 1-1 Charlton (L1)

I wasn’t looking forward to going to a Barnet side who were running away with the league. They took the lead in the 9th minute, and it didn’t look like we’d get anything, but we equalized from Smith in first half stoppage time, which was rather against the run of play. Like with Dover, we spent the second half holding onto what we got including a late penalty save, though there were a few chances near the end when we might have got a very sneaky winner.

Charlton 0-0 Wigan (L1)

We had a lot more draws than defeats, and had another, a 0-0 against Wigan which either could have grabbed a win from, however it did us both as we moved up the table, into 6th for them and 16th for us.

Charlton 2-4 Reading (L1)

Reading were chasing promotion, but didn’t start like it as Smith and Howard put us 2-0 up after 14 minutes. However they soon pulled one back and equalized just before the break. We pushed very hard for a winner for most of the second half, so it was disappointing to just fall away near the end, conceding a winner, and even a 4th in stoppage time.

Sunderland 3-1 Charlton (L1)

Sunderland was a tricky away game, but Smith snatched the lead at the end of the first half. It wasn’t going to last. They equalized just after the break, taking the lead before the hour mark, eventually scoring a 3rd after having one disallowed.

Charlton 2-1 York (L1)

We were slipping closer to trouble, from 8 points clear of the drop zone down to just 3, and we needed wins again soon. We responded well against York, Lazarov giving us the lead in the 1st minute. They equalized in the 12th minute, but Smith quickly made it 2-1, and we were able to hold the lead for our first league win in 7, so not a moment too soon.

feb71.jpg

We seem to be a lot better at not losing, than winning. However it should hopefully see us through.

Mar 2071

Hartlepool 1-4 Charlton (L1)

We wanted to have a good burst of form going into the last part of the season, and did well at Hartlepool. Lazarov gave us a 17th minute lead just after Smith had one disallowed. Howard pounced on a defensive mistake to extend it, before they pulled it back, but Smith restored the 2-goal advantage by half-time. Even with Smith going off injured (and Lynch also receiving an injury would be another blow), Howard gave us a late 4th, but it wasn’t that safe until then.

Charlton 2-3 Luton (L1)

Even without two of our best players, we raced into the lead from Stephenson against Luton. However a team on the edge of the playoffs weren’t going to go down easily. They equalized, then again after Paci gave us a 50th minute 2-1 lead, but their last minute winner was rather cruel.

Port Vale 2-0 Charlton (L1)

We were expected to get something at bottom side Port Vale (16 points adrift of safety), though had a worryingly difficult time of it in the first half. They broke us at the start of the second half, soon getting another as we had no fight to give.

Charlton 5-1 Darlington (L1)

I suspect the late Luton winner had knocked us off course a bit, but we were back in full stride against Darlington. Hylton and Stephenson put us 2-0 up after 20 minutes, and although I was wary when they pulled one back, Stephenson scored again on the stroke of half-time, going on to complete a hat-trick in the second half, and a Jones header finished off a great 5-1 win.

Ebbsfleet 3-4 Charlton (L1)

We shone even brighter in the first 35 minutes at Ebbsfleet. Howard and Stephenson each scored in the first 10 minutes, the latter completing a hat-trick by the 35th. They pulled one back 5 minutes later, with a couple more to make it 4-3 in the 83rd minute, but while points dropping was a distinct possibility, we held on, now 11 points clear of the relegation zone with 6 games to go, and looking pretty safe.

Apr/May 2071

Charlton 2-3 Southampton (L1)

We were the ones chasing the game against Southampton. Howard and Stephenson gave us equalizers in the 12th and 25th minutes respectively, but the defence just didn’t turn up, and while they inevitably grabbed the lead for the 3rd and decisive time in the second half, it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

Cardiff 0-0 Charlton (L1)

Having failed to beat Cardiff at home, we never looked like doing so in Wales either. The fact that we were pretty much safe and they were pretty much doomed wasn’t the only reason we were the more relieved to see it out as a 0-0.

Charlton 2-3 Southend (L1)

The first half against Southend looked like another dull 0-0 in the first half, but that appeared to be as good as it got as they ran up a 3-0 lead in the second half. In the last 15 minutes, Lynch and Doyle pulled goals back, and if Paci hadn’t had a goal disallowed we would have snatched a point.

Shrewsbury 2-4 Charlton (L1)

We tried to grab the advantage at Shrewsbury, and despite doing a poor job of it, Howard gave us the lead in the 43rd minute, which didn’t even last until half-time. He tried again in the first minute of the second half, but this time kept the momentum up, penalties from Simpson and Burke making it safe before they got an 80th minute consolation.

Charlton 1-1 Brighton (L1)

We were unlucky not to have the lead in the first half in the last home game against Brighton, though Smith did fire us ahead after 50 minutes. We switched off for a bit, and having had a goal disallowed, I couldn’t begrudge Brighton an equalizer, though we should have done more to try and get a winner.

Fleetwood 1-0 Charlton (L1)

Having been massacred against Fleetwood in December, we fared better at their place, though couldn’t quite hold out for the full 90 minutes and conceded a 83rd minute winner, a fairly mediocre way to end the season.

final71.jpg

After the glory, came the disappointment, not just of Dusseldorf, but the start at Charlton as well. However gradually we showed more promise as the season went on. Our goal against column already set to be terrible, we fired numerous more goals to compensate. So we ended up with the worst GA (11 more than bottom club Port Vale), and the 4th highest GF (4 more than champions Barnet), as we showed what we were capable of on our day.

I would be playing two more seasons, and with survival achieved, we could now push on with a fresh start next season, though a bunch of signings were needed, and after that we could look forward to more improvement in my last season, and I’d be delighted if I could sign off with a promotion.

Your scoring plenty of goals, If the defence can tighten up a bit you should have a successful season. A decent platform to build on.
Bad luck with Dusseldorf. Not a lot better in Charlton, but at least you've kept your job! :D

Things should definitely improve defensively. When I arrived there was just one full back, and while he's pretty good, the central defence already being crowded meant I could do nothing when he had a bad game, and loans expiring left me with just one replacement defender so if more than one central defender out of the three had a bad game, along with the one full-back thing, when the defence had a bad day (and there were a few of those) we were pretty much screwed. I had no room in the budgets to do anything until players were released in the summer. However I've been very busy, good defenders being in plentiful supply (as well as a far, far better keeper) mean we have both quantity and far better quality, hopefully making a clear difference.

Summer 2071

At the end of last season, we had lost pretty much all the money that was in the bank, and there was a lot to do. Players had gone for various reasons, being rubbish, old, on fairly high wages, not wanting to renew, or loans finishing. Thankfully a few deals made for players to come in on a free meant that even before the season was over, I had made a good start with getting in players, with more following. There was still a transfer budget of 250k, which I decided to use if the need arose, which it did. What needed work badly was the defence, but thankfully there was a wealth of options available, and after 11 signings I felt we were in a good position once they gelled. The expectation was mid-table (which I chose over avoiding relegation) which seemed manageable, but I felt we could be good for top half.

Brown

Fane

Gallagher

Lewis

Robinson

Transfer

One to watch:

Moore.jpg

Amidst a considerable defensive rebuilding, an excellent new young keeper should make a real difference.

Martin Moore looks fantastic. Considering he is only 19 I think he will go on to become Englands No.1

Probably, at least if the save continued long enough. Certainly the Premier League. I was amazed to see him available at this level, and 90k seems a great deal. He does have a 650k release clause though but he should be good to stay for at least a year, maybe both remaining seasons of the career. Looking like a great season ahead, we've won all three league games so far, and beaten Championship Cardiff away on penalties in the League Cup, with Moore saving two.

Wow! Congratulations and good luck in your new job! :)

I don't think I need any the way things are going :D

Aug 2071

Charlton 6-0 Ebbsfleet (L1)

We started against Ebbsfleet, not an easy test for the new-look side, but after a difficult start, Lazarov gave us the lead 15 minutes in. We were still in a vulnerable position, so it was a relief that Smith got a brace at the end of the half. Stephenson decided that anything this strike partner could do, he could do better, with a hat-trick in between the 71st and 77th minutes. 6-0 was very flattering to us, but it was still a promising start.

Reading 2-2p Charlton (LC)

A trip to Championship Reading was a difficult League Cup tie. Smith gave us the lead in the 5th minute, but they pushed back, equalizing in the 23rd minute. They looked like getting another, but Smith snatched another 5 minutes before half-time. Though they equalized again early in the second half, we looked good value to win for the rest of normal time. Extra-time saw us back on the defensive, but we survived to penalties. Moore saved their 2nd penalty, and although McDonnell missed our last, another Moore save sent us through.

Southend 1-2 Charlton (L1)

Smith scored again in the 13th minute at Southend. Brown gifted them an equalizer with an own-goal, but Smith restored the lead in the 52nd minute. Hylton was sent off for two yellows but we held out to make it 2 out of 2.

Charlton 2-1 Leicester (L1)

Leicester had been relegated from the Championship last year, and also had a 100% record. I was slightly worried with Moore out with a cold, but we survived a dull first half. They struck at the start of the second half, but Stephenson snatched an equalized in the 62nd minute. We weren’t in much trouble after that, and Stephenson late gave us a winner.

Oldham 2-4 Charlton (LC)

We went to another Championship side, Oldham, in the League cup. Again we took the lead, this time from Stephenson after 15 minutes. They were bottom of their league, and it showed as goals from Hall and Stephenson put us 3-0 up after half an hour. It wasn’t over however, and they got two goals back late in the first half. It looked like they’d have the second half momentum, but that soon faded away, and we might have easily had a late 4th.

Charlton 2-0 York (L1)

We marched on at York in the league. Stephenson gave us the lead in the 8th minute, and scored again 5 minutes later, though York pushed hard in the second half so it wasn’t quite that comfortable. We were now the only side with a 100% record.

League Table

Sept 2071

Charlton 4-2 Leyton Orient (JPT)

We started the JPT campaign against Leyton Orient, who were struggling in League 2. Smith put us ahead in ther 14th minute, followed by Stephenson 9 minute later. We made it slightly hard for ourselves in conceding, and again after another Stephenson goal early in the second half, but he completed his hat-trick to put it beyond them eventually.

Charlton 1-1 Shrewsbury (L1)

Shrewsbury were far harder to break through, and scored during a good spell late in the first half. Having missed a few chances, Lazarov had no trouble scoring from a 65th minute penalty, but we failed to take advantage of a numer of chances to get a winner, dropping points for the first time. However it was a strong enough performance not to worry too much.

MK Dons 1-3 Charlton (L1)

Ourselves and MK Dons were now level at the top, and we went to theirs in an early top of the table clash. Smith gave us a 2nd minute lead, and struck again after their 28th minute equalizer. Brown got sent off late in the first half, but we kept pushing in the second half, rarely giving them a look in, and a Smith chip completed his hat-trick and made it safe in the 73rd minute.

Charlton 5-0 Sunderland (L1)

It was Stephenson’s turn to shine against Sunderland. He scored in the 6th minute, but we were uneasy for the rest of the half, especially with West Brom just behind in the league. That changed with two more Stephenson goals in the first 5 minutes after the break. He scored his 16th goal in 10 games so far this season in the 70th minute, and a Hall header finished off a great win.

Charlton 5-1 Bristol City (LC)

Bristol City (who I had faced multiple times recently in the CL knockouts with Milan) were one of the toughest opponents we could face in the League Cup. Their team was mostly reserves and youths, but even they would be strong League 1 players at least, and there were a few strong first-team players who could have finished us off easily. I definitely didn’t expect to be 3-0 up after half an hour from a Hylton header and 2 Smith goals. They scored 5 minutes later, but two second half Stephenson goals completed a 5-1 win that has to rank as one of the finest results of the entire save.

Sheff Wed 1-2 Charlton (L1)

Sheffield Wednesday was a tough trip to the 3rd placed side in the league, and it was probably the toughest game we’d had so far this season. They took the lead in the 33rd minute, after we had a few early chances, but Smith equalized in the 41st minute. They started the second half as the more likely team to win, but Smith scored again in the 57th minute, and we held out to win.

Charlton 5-2 Wolves (L1)

Wolves were another side in the playoffs (having come down the previous year. Each game had either Smith or Stephenson shining, and the former did to again. He gave us a 2-0 win by the 27th minute. They pulled one back, but Hylton headed in our 3rd just before half-time. Smith completed his hat-trick just afterwards, with a late 4th after their second consolation.

sept71.jpg

Oct 2071

Charlton 1-2 Worksop (L1)

Worksop were bottom with just a point, which is why I was amazed that we were so poor. Smith eventually gave us the lead in the 32nd minute, but theu soon equalized. Worse was to come as the looked strong near the end of the game and got a winner. If Bristol City was mystifyingly brilliant, this was mystifyinging woeful. West Brom being held by Sheffied Wednesday meant we held on to top.

Ebbsfleet 0-0p Charlton (JPT)

We went to Ebbsfleet in the JPT, and were on the back foot throughout the first half. They eased off in the second half but we didn’t do much of note ourselves, so it went to penalties. Brown had our 4th saved, but the 5th round saw Moore save and McDonnell scored to take it to sudden death. They missed their 8th, leaving Hylton to give us a win we didn’t really deserve.

Darlington 1-5 Charlton (L1)

After the last couple of games we cautiously went to Darlington. Smith and Hylton scored in the 10th and 15th minute respectively. They scored 10 minutes later, but Lazarov restored the 2 goal margin in the 39th minute, and in t he second half, goals from Smith and Stephenson (his first for a few games) gave us a welcome return to form.

Wigan 3-3 Charlton (L1)

We had a midweek rest before going to Wigan, but it didn’t help. We were back to being woeful, and were 2 goals behind after half an hour. However that woke us up, and Smith had already drawn us level by half-time. We looked good to go on and win, so I actually winced when they took the lead again in the 79th minute. Stephenson quickly gave us a point, and though West Brom lost I wasn’t too happy with not winning.

Charlton 0-0 Blackpool (L1)

I was also annoyed after a 0-0 against Blackpool. We wasted numerous chances, and had a first half goal disallowed. We lost top spot for the first time this season, and were just a point clear of the playoff places.

Birmingham 3-0 Charlton (LC)

We went to Birmingham in the League cup in rather different shape than we were when we beat Bristol City in the last round. They also fielded a first team lineup, eventually taking the lead in the 39th minute. We had an equalizer disallowed before half-time, and they finished us off with another couple of goals in the second half.

Brighton 3-6 Charlton (L1)

Spirits dropped further when we went 2-0 behind at Brighton after 23 minutes. It looked like our challenge was slipping away. Just 11 minutes later, Smith and Stephenson had levelled it, and another Smith goal put us ahead at the break. We pushed on in the second half, with one more goal each after a Wilson header, and a 3rd Brighton goal didn’t matter.

League Table

Nov 2071

Charlton 2-0 Plymouth (L1)

Plymouth were just a couple of places below us, but Brown headed us in front in the 22nd minute, Smith securing it in the 52nd minute.

Charlton 4-0 Maidenhead (FA)

We started the FA cup against Maidenhead, who were leading the BSS. We failed to break through in the first half, but strolled the second half once Smith gave us a 54th minute lead. Fane extended it 9 minutes later, with Wilson and new forward Lewis comfortably wrapping it up.

Aldershot 1-4 Charlton (JPT)

In the JPT, we went down at Aldershot in the 2nd minute, but Smith immediately equalized. Stephenson scored either side of half time as we started to get comfortable, and Smith finished it off before an hour was up.

Fleetwood 2-3 Charlton (L1)

We needed to get those slow starts out of our system, as we went behind again at Fleetwood (after they had a goal disallowed) in the 16th minute. Smith equalized, but the defence was having it’s worst collective day for some time, and they retook the lead. All three subs were hastily used to patch it up, and after that, Stephenson and Smith scored in the last 5 minutes of the first half. They came close a few times to scoring in the second half, but we held out to go top of the league again.

Charlton 5-2 Luton (L1)

The first half against Luton was a repeat of the start of Fleetwood, going behind twice with an equalizer in between, this time from Stephenson. This time it wasn’t until after half-time that we quickly turned it around to lead 3-2, with two more Stephenson goals. Smith joined in after an hour before Stephenson’s 4th sealed it in the 68th minute.

Mansfield 0-1 Charlton (L1)

We made a better start at Mansfield, where we really should have taken a first-half lead. Hall eventually gave us the win in the 62nd minute, though without another there were some late scares.

Charlton 1-1 Peterborough (FA)

We had League 2 Peterborough in the cup, making a flying start from Stephenson in the 3rd minute. We looked good until they equalized late in the half, putting us under a lot of second half pressure, and we had to settle for a replay.

nov71.jpg

After a stunning start, the reality of a long league slog has set in. While things improved after a wobbly October, having to chase games so much (even if we usually win in the end) makes it seem much tougher. A close race at the top, with ourselves, West Brom, and Sheffield Wednesday (who at the time of writing are just 4 points behind, not 6) going for the 2 automatic promotion places, doesn't help the sense of being in a massive struggle.

Quick move from Germany to England. Good luck with Charlton. You have started well this campaign.
Shame it didn't work out in Germany but it looks clear to see that you have improved Charlton during pre-season,very nice start made.

Thanks guys, really pleased to have mostly kept it up as well. I was optimistic going into this season but this is quite a bit better than I expected.

Dec 2071

Kingstonian 3-1 Charlton (JPT)

We travelled to Kingstonian in the JPT, and went behind early again. We showed no fight whatsoever as our League 2 opponents scored two more. Smith scored just before half-time, but there would be no comeback this time.

Charlton 3-1 Hartlepool (L1)

This ‘going behind first’ thing was getting very annoying, and it happened again after 25 minutes against Hartlepool. Stephenson equalized in the 40th minute, but most of the second half was dominated by Hartlepool. Brown headed in a free-kick to give us a very fortunate lead in the 79th minute, followed by Smith in the last minute.

Peterborough 2-1 Charlton (FA)

Much like last year, we crashed out of the FA cup against a League 2 team. As well as the traditional’ ‘going behind in the first half’ thing, Peterborough added another just before the break. We fought hard in the second half, but only got a 79th minute Stephenson penalty to show for it.

Northampton 0-0 Charlton (L1)

We managed to avoid going behind at 4th placed Northampton, but didn’t look much like scoring. While a point in such a game was decent, it broke our winning run and allowed West Brom to close to a point.

Charlton 5-1 Southampton (L1)

Stephenson gave us the lead after just 14 seconds against Southampton, with another and one from Smuth making it 3-0 after 12 minutes. They pulled one back before half-time, but our front two got another each in the second half.

Scunthorpe 2-4 Charlton (L1)

We appeared to have stopped starting badly as at Scunthorpe, Lazarov’s 15th minute opener was soon followed by Smith. There were some hairy moments in the second half, but while they scored a second goal, it was after Smith made it 3-1 in the 80th minute, and he completed his hat-trick in stoppage time for good measure. With that he broke his own record for goals in a season (40 so far, and it wasn’t even Christmas) as well as becoming the club’s all-time record league goalscorer at just 23.

West Brom 1-2 Charlton (L1)

Boxing day saw a key trip to West Brom, though being 3 points ahead meant there wasn’t quite as much pressure on us. Midfielder Jessen went off injured in the 1st minute, then they took the lead after 20. They were always going to be hard to come back against, and we came close but no cigar in the first half. We were far less inspiring in the second half, but somehow snatched an equalizer in the 87th minute from Stephenson, and he scored a stoppage time penalty to give us an undeserved but vital win.

Ebbsfleet 2-4 Charlton (L1)

We went behind again at Ebbsfleet, barely having a look in until Paci’s 27th minute equalizer. Within 6 minutes, Brown and Smith put us 3-1 up, the latter scoring again on the stroke of half-time. A late penalty was all they managed by way of response.

League Table

Jan 2072

Charlton 2-0 Southend (L1)

It was nice to start the year with one of our more comfortable games. Smith gave us a deserved lead after 25 minutes against Southend, with another after an hour.

Leicester 4-1 Charlton (L1)

We took the lead again in the 5th minute at Leicester. However after failing to get a second, we fell apart and for once were the ones on the receiving end of a comeback. They equalized in the 37th minute, and easily ran up a 4-1 win in the second half.

Charlton 0-2 York (L1)

We went behind for the 100th time this season in the 6th minute against York. The rest of the half saw plenty of chances but no equalizer. Stephenson had one disallowed in the 55th minute, then they scored again to clinch it, but there was a sense that poor finishing had thrown it away. West Brom and Sheffield Wednesday were closing in, so we needed to get our act back together.

Shrewsbury 0-2 Charlton (L1)

Stephenson gave us the lead in the 28th minute at Shrewsbury. There were a few close calls before Smith secured it.

Charlton 3-1 MK Dons (L1)

We had to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat yet again against MK Dons. We went behind just before half-time, and didn’t look like snatching anything. Hall headed an equalizer in the 72nd minute, followed by Smith putting us ahead in the 83rd. There were a few close calls before he scored again 5 minutes later. It was far from the first win to flatter us, and wasn’t going to be the last, but being 6 points clear of West Brom (and 7 of Sheffield Wednesday) was what mattered.

Sunderland 2-2 Charlton (L1)

Going behind at Sunderland was barely worthy of comment by now. This time they kept pushing, scoring a 57th minute penalty. Ritchie and Boyle pulled it back to 2-2 by the 83rd minute, and while there was no winner this time, it was still a good effort to get anything so late.

jan72.jpg

Not a great January, but still looking alright, especially if we can beat Sheffield Wednesday at home next.

Feb 2072

Charlton 2-2 Sheff Wed (L1)

If we could beat Sheffield Wednesday we’d be in a great promotion position. Stephenson fired us in front in the 15th minute, and though they headed in a corner to level it, Smith put us back ahead in the 45th minute. There wasn’t any point in the game where one team clearly had the upper hand, and their 67th minute disallowed goal was a massive relief, so it was no surprise that they took a late share of the points, which was admittedly a fair result, but we remained 5 points ahead in the battle for automatic promotion (though just 2 of West Brom in the title race) so it wasn’t too bad.

Worksop 0-1 Charlton (L1)

We went to Worksop needing to avoid the stupid slip up if the home game. Stephenson scored in the 10th minute, and we were clearly on top despite no further goals. Our two rivals played each other, with a draw being a good result as we needed a good gap to both 2nd and 3rd.

Charlton 2-1 Wigan (L1)

We burned disappointingly slowly against Wigan. Eventually an own goal put us ahead in the 72nd minute, only for them to quicky equalize. Thankfully a Wilson header gave us a winner in the 85th minute.

Charlton 2-0 Darlington (L1)

We struggled early on against Darlington, but Stephenson eventually scored after 35 minutes, with another in the 80th minute as we started pulling away from Sheffield Wednesday (10 points now).

Wolves 2-2 Charlton (L1)

Smith scored for the first time in a few games after 14 seconds against Wolves. However they pulled it around to lead 2-1 early in the second half, with results elsewhere not going in our favour, but Lazarov’s 70th minute equalizer gave us something to cheer.

League Table

Mar 2072

Blackpool 2-2 Charlton (L1)

We were comfortable at Blackpool, with Brown heading us into a 9th minute lead. In the second half Ritchie extended the lead just after having one disallowed, and while a late Blackpool goal put the win under threat, West Brom losing meant we were now 8 points clear with 10 games left.

Charlton 2-1 Brighton (L1)

Brighton were heading for relegation (they were 20 points from safety, and over half that adrift at the bottom), though we didn’t beat them by as much as I hoped. Smith’s 50th goal of the season put us ahead in the 5th minute, Lazarov adding to it a few minutes into the second half, with a consolation making it look closer than it deserved.

Plymouth 1-4 Charlton (L1)

Compared to recent games, we tore our way past what was meant to be a tricky game at Plymouth. Stephenson took us 2-0 up after 11 minutes, soon followed by a Jones header. Stephenson completed a hat-trick before half-time, missing the chance to get another from a penalty in stoppage time, after a Plymouth goal.

Luton 0-2 Charlton (L1)

Paci had an early goal disallowed at Luton, but Smith eventually scored our 100th league goal of the season in the 29th minute. It was easy going after that, even before Brown’s header with a few minutes left secured the win.

Charlton 1-0 Mansfield (L1)

We pounded Mansfield in the first half, Stephenson missing a penalty, but with no luck. Smith finally scored in the 50th minute, securing another decent but unspectacular win in the 67th minute.

League Table

Apr/May 2072

Charlton 3-3 Fleetwood (L1)

Fleetwood were one of the strongest sides in the league last year, but in relegation trouble right now. They were still strong enough to take advantage of a very bad day for us. In the first half we parted like the red sea and they took a 2-0 lead. Smith’s 63rd minute goal gave us hope for a comeback but they quickly scored a 3rd. An own-goal pulled it back again for us, and we snatched a point from Paci in the 83rd minute, with a couple of chances to pull off an amazing win.

Hartlepool 2-4 Charlton (L1)

In Hartlepool, we encounted more problems than we should have against a side in the relegation zone. Late in the first half, Stephenson and Collins (on for Lazarov, who had sustained a season-ending injury) seemed to finally have given us a strong 2-0 lead. They pulled a goal back after the break, and again after Stephenson’s 66th minute goal, coming very close late on to snatching a point, but Stephenson ensured they’d get nothing when completing his hat-trick in the last minute.

Charlton 3-0 Northampton (L1)

A win against Northampton would secure both promotion and the title. Smith scored in the 22nd minute, and that seemed to be that. We turned on the style a bit in the second half. Stephenson took advantage of a rebound to score in the 49th minute, followed by another Smith goal as we went up in style.

Southampton 2-3 Charlton (L1)

There was no pressure when we went to Southampton. Hylton put us ahead in the 15th minute, followed by a disallowed Stephenson goal that should have made it comfortable. In the second half, they hit us for a quick double to take the lead, but Brown headed us level with 15 minute, and Stephenson finally got his goal in injury time to give us the win in the nick of time.

Charlton 3-0 Scunthorpe (L1)

We found it much easier reaching the 110 point mark against Scunthorpe. Smith gave us the lead in the 4th minute, followed by Boyle midway through the half (earning him a contract extention on the spot, as while he’s not that good, which was why he was going to be released, his performances this year and the fact he was our only playmaker meant he was worth keeping in case replacements were hard to find), and Hylton on the stroke of half-time.

Charlton 3-0 West Brom (L1)

The final game was against West Brom, who would drop into the playoffs if they failed to win and Sheffield Wednesday did. We dominated the first half, with a disallowed goal preventing us behind ahead at the break, but it was West Brom who needed the win so we were definitely the happier. We kept pushing in the second half, taking just a couple of minutes for Collins to give us the lead. They hurled themselves forward in amusing desperation but a Stephenson penalty gave us another in the 77th minute, and he scored again 6 minutes later to finish them off. Enjoy being stuck in League 1 West Brom.

final72.jpg

How about that then! I knew there’d be considerable improvement from last year, but worried that having signed a lot of players in the summer would slow things down in the sort term. While the defence was much changed (though still with few players from last year playing a part), the midfielders and forwards were familiar faces, even though not all were regulars last year, and that proved to be a winning combination. We started off in Milan-style, with a good League Cup run on the way. After that it was nowhere near as easy as it looked. For months we ended up having to come back to win a lot of games (if matches finished at half-time we’d have been lucky to reach the playoffs), and even when we didn’t, we had to really fight for all three points (or sometimes just the one), even if we simply happened to be very good at it, plus until late on we had strong West Brom and Sheffield Wednesday teams in striking range if we started to slip.

The result was what would probably my last trophy of the career (and ony English one), and the club’s first season in the Championship for over a decade (which featured a brief trip to League 2). It was clear where we shone most. Smith and Stephenson getting 57 and 52 goals respectively, and if they had played anywhere near as well in the second half of the season as they had in the first, they’d have had at least 10-15 more each. Paci also set a new club record for assists in a season. Hopefully I could enjoy my last season with a good survival year in the Championship.

Squad Stats

Star player: Had 35 goals (beating his own club record) before Christmas, becoming the club's top league scorer at just 23 in the process. Was also the best player after I took over last year.

Smith72.jpg

I wasn't expecting your stay in Germany to be so brief, shame things didn't work out. As for Charlton, quite an improvement from the 1st to the 2nd season! Impressive. :thup:

Cheers, though I know from experience that a fresh start the following season (not to mention actually having a proper set of defenders) can do wonders for a team, though while it was still a surprise doing as well as we dod, strong improvement in general wouldn't be.

Summer 2072

Survival was all the mattered, anything else being a bonus. It didn’t help that we were 750k in the red, but while I don’t like spending while in the red, or taking a club into the red, I felt we needed a couple of new faces, especially a playmaker, to be able to compete. The squad as it stood (especially gelled) would probably manage fine, but it didn’t hurt to use what budget I had to strengthen a bit, especially as being my last season of the career I hardly have to worry about the long-term. Season ticket sales were already picking up considerably before the board accepted a 550k bid for a young winger, who while excellent was no great loss as he was behind Paci in the pecking order. Just as a lot of last year’s signing ended up as squad players, some of the 5 newcomers this time were mainly to shore up the squad in the general rather than being regulars, and as it happened we ended the summer well over 1M in the black, in a nice financial turnaround.

Habraken

Haines

Larkins

O'Sullivan

Transfers

One to watch:

Pearson.jpg

While the defence wasn't in need of improvement this time, it was still good finding a player who could provide us with a far better foundation, especially on the right, making him the only main 'improvement' signing.

Aug 2072

Exeter 2-2 Charlton (CH)

We kicked off at Exeter, with just one change from the side that finished last season. Despite the occasional chance we were very much on the back foot in the first half, which didn’t stop Stephenson give us the lead after 40 minute. Larkins extended the advantage in just his 3rd minute in a Charlton shirt.The game was quiet for most of the second half, which made it odd that they suddenly scored 2 goals in the last 5 minutes to get a point, but it wasn’t too bad a start.

Charlton 3-0 Kingstonian (CH)

The first round of the League cup saw us face Kingstonian, who had ended our JPT run last year. They scored in the 18th minute, but we got our act together. Stephenson again scored in the 41st minute, with another in the second half, and Collins rounded the win off in the 86th minute.

Charlton 1-4 Reading (CH)

We didn’t do so well against Reading, going 2-0 down after 10 minutes. Collins pulled one back a few minutes later, but they scored a quick 3rd, going on to win 4-1.

Coventry 0-7 Charlton (CH)

We did rather better at Coventry. Hylton gave us the lead in the 10th minute, but we looked shaky until Larkins’ 41st minute goal. Lazarov scored both sides of half-time, and we ran rampant with two Stephenson goals and one more from Larkins.

Everton 2-1 Charlton (LC) 2,700th career match!

The trip to Everton in the League cup was the 2,700th match of the career. Sadly it was a match where we were almost certain to lose, as unlike Bristol City least year they fielded a proper strong PL side. They took the lead as expected, in the 14th minute, but a 35th minute own-goal levelled it. That was as good as it got, as they scored again in the 50th minute, never looking like letting it slip.

Charlton 1-2 Burnley (CH)

The defence had regressed considerably so far this season, and we had more problems against Burnley. We were on the back foot from the start, but probably could have managed to not go 2 goals behind by the break. A Stephenson shot was deflected into the Burnley goal in the 57th minute but we couldn’t go on to get a point.

Sept 2072

Gillingham 1-2 Charlton (CH)

Boyle gave us the lead in the 17th minute at Gillingham, however they kept pounding away and eventually equalized in the 44th minute. The second half saw us face a similar level of pressure, but Larkins snatched a goal in the 77th minute that turned out to be a lucky winner, but only because they had a stoppage time equalizer disallowed.

Charlton 2-1 Fulham (CH) 100th Charlton game!

Fulham was my 100th Charlton game, and it was tricky at first but we soon gained confidence. Stephenson had a goal disallowed before Larkins finally gave us a 74th minute lead. They immediately equalized but another Larkins goal gave us the win.

Stoke 2-2 Charlton (CH)

Stoke were relegated from the Premier League last year, but had started poorly and were down in 18th. They took the lead in the 18th minute, and we were mounting a good fightback until they caught us on the break, which broke us completely for the rest of the half. Stephenson pulled one back in the 49th minute, eventually getting another in the 66th to give us a point I was delighted to have recovered.

Charlton 2-0 Bolton (CH)

Having lost his place to Larkins early in the season, Smith was restored to the side against Bolton and celebrated by scoring in the 1st minute. We were on the back foot for most of the game but Smith scored again in the 85th minute.

Notts County 2-4 Charlton (CH)

Smith scored again near the end of a first half at Notts County where we were second best. They equalized before the break, but in the second half Stephenson and Jones gave us a comfortable lead. They scored another, and threatened to equalize, but Jones scored again in the last minute.

Oct 2072

Charlton 1-3 Sheff Utd (CH)

After a good September, we played Sheffield Utd and ran into a fantastic forward on loan from Liverpool who gave them the lead before the break. Paci equalized after the break, and I hoped we’d get a point, but were hit with two late goals as that forward got a hat-trick.

Millwall 3-1 Charlton (CH)

We were on the back foot at Millwall as well, going 2 goals behind in the first half-hour. Smith scored on the stroke of half-time but I knew then we weren’t going to be fighting back much, and they finished us off early in the second half.

Charlton 2-0 Grimsby (CH)

We returned to winning ways against Grimsby, thanks to 2 Stephenson goals in the first 15 minute in a quietly comfortable game.

Gateshead 2-2 Charlton (CH)

We got off to our now customary bad start at relegation-battling Gateshead, being 2-0 down after 13 minutes. Smith got one back in the 26th minute, but up to Collins’ 85th minute equalizer, a point seemed beyond us.

Charlton 1-1 Portsmouth (CH)

We went behind early yet again, in the 3rd minute against Portsmouth. Larkins equalized in first-half stoppage time, but a dull second half meant we had to share the points.

oct72.jpg

Mixed bag of results, which itself isn't too bad given the low expectations, but thanks to a good September we're in a position I'm delighted with.

Doing really well since your first year in charge mate. Tonbridge and Salisbury have climbed the leagues.

More than you think, as they were both in the Premier League last year (Salisbury being bit of a yoyo side, Tonbridge was probably a one-off

Congrats on winning promotion from League 1 :thup: Doing well so far,hopefully you can stay clear of a relegation battle.

We're certainly managing that.

Good start in the Championship. Worth a quid on back-to-back promotions :thup:
Cracking start in the Championship mate. Hope it continues.

Sadly we've dropped off the pace a bit, but won't have anything to worry about.

Nov 2072

Charlton 1-4 Barnet (CH)

We had to face a Barnet side who were flying at the top of the league, but Smith scored in the 10th minute. The defence failed again as they easily ran up a 3-1 lead in the first half. They kept pounding in the second half, with a 4th coming late on.

Charlton 4-0 MK Dons (CH)

We had the chance to get back to winning ways against MK Dons, and very much grabbed it, at least Stephenson did. He scored after 10 minutes, had made it 2-0 by half-time, completing a hat-trick after having a goal disallowed. Collins finished off what was just our 2nd win in 7 games.

Salisbury 2-0 Charlton (CH)

A trip to relegated Salisbury would be much harder. We held out for most of the first half, but they took the lead late on. McDonnell’s injury early in the second half left us with a hole at left-back, and they scored a second goal having dominated this half just as much.

Watford 0-1 Charlton (CH)

We had a strong first-half at Watford, taking the lead from Larkins in the 24th minute. The tide turned in the second half, but thanks to a missed penalty after an hour, we were able to hold on to the points. Stephenson gave us a 3rd minute lead against Crawley, and despite being comfortably on top, that turned out to be the only goal in a deserved win.

League Table

Dec 2072

Nottingham Forest 3-0 Charlton (CH)

Right-back Gallagher got a straight red card in the 23rd minute at Nottingham Forest. We held out for the rest of the half, but they scored in the 50th minute, and having broken through, they went on for a 3-0 win.

Charlton 2-1 Sheff Wed (CH)

We were in an informal battle with Sheffield Wednesday to be the best promoted team, and a dull first half at least helped our case (being a point and a few places ahead). Habraken gave us the lead after an hour, with his first goal for the club, followed by Larkins, while they could only get a 70th minute consolation.

Crystal Palace 1-1 Charlton (CH)

We did rather worse at Crystal Palace, who had a 12th minute lead in a first half where they were free to dominate. Habraken equalized in the 61st minute, but otherwise we were so outclassed (by a team who started the game in the bottom 3) that a point was a relief.

Charlton 1-2 Exeter (CH)

The Boxing Day delight of a 62nd minute Hylton goal against Exeter was short lived as they almost immediately scored twice to take the lead instead. We tried hard to get back in but couldn’t get an equalizer.

Reading 4-1 Charlton (CH)

We were never in the game at Reading a couple of days later. They scored in the 6th minute, were 2-0 up at half-time, and 4-0 up when Hylton went off injured after an hour. Surprisingly they didn’t score even after an own-goal gave us one back, and a red card for Brown left us without a central defence.

Charlton 1-3 Tonbridge (CH)

I didn’t much fancy our chances against Tonbridge, and sure enough they took the lead after 15 minutes. They moved to finish us before we could recover, with 2 more goals by the 67th minute. Stephenson pulled one back a couple of minutes later, but there wasn’t much chance to get any more.

League Table

Jan 2073

Charlton 4-1 Coventry (CH)

Having hammered Coventry earlier, I hoped we’d get 3 points again from them. It took a while to get going, Hall giving us the lead on the stroke of half-time. Stephenson scored another in the 64th minute, and though they pulled one back, Smith and Collins finished it off in the last 5 minutes, giving us our first win in 5.

Charto 5-0 Worksop (FA)

The cup saw us face Worksop, who we had played in League 1 last year. Smith fired us 2-0 ahead after 10 minutes, with 2 more late in the half. The 50th minute saw Hall make it 5-0.

Burnley 3-2 Charlton (CH)

Boosted by that result, we went on the offensive early on at Burnley. Stephenson had a goal disallowed in the 2nd minute, before Habraken gave us a 10th minute lead. They equalized in the 17th minute, but Smith restored the lead in the 50th. Unfortunately we dropped off badly in the second half, not helped by an injury to Stephenson reducing us to 10 men, and they turned it around to win 3-2.

Charlton 1-1 Gillingham (CH)

Gillingham was a tight game. We both pushed hard in the first half, then they took the lead in the 59th minute. Stephenson equalized a couple of minutes later, and we fought hard to get the point.

Charlton 4-1 Gillingham (FA)

We played them again in the FA Cup, and from the start took them apart. We had a goal disallowed in the 12th minute, but Stephenson and Collins gave us a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes. They scored just before half-time but Stephenson went on with two more in the second half as we won 4-1.

jan73.jpg

Generally mid-table form. Better defensive consistency would probably be putting us in a playoff hunt, but it's not a big deal.

Unfortunate to drop of the pace a little but still in a good position to make a late charge into the play offs hopefully.

Sadly not going to happen :(

Feb 2073

Fulham 0-4 Charlton (CH)

Little was expected of a trip to 3rd placed Fulham, but a good start saw Hylton head us into a 20th minute lead. They threatened strongly early in the second half, but an own-goal around the hour mark broke them, and we resumed control adding two goals from Larkins in the last 15 minutes.

Charlton 0-2 Stoke (CH)

We struggled a bit more against a Stoke side fighting against back-to-back relegations, as their superiority on paper showed. They took the lead in the 18th minute, after even early exchanges, with another disallowed before the break. There was very little fightback in the second half, with a 51st minute goal mostly killing the game off. Stephenson being sent off was hardly ideal either.

Bolton 5-4 Charlton (CH)

The defence struck again at Bolton, in one of their worst games of the season (and that’s saying something). Larkins shone in the first half at the other end, scoring in the 2nd minute. They easily gained a 2-1 lead but in the 28th minute saw Larkins’ shot deflected for an own-goal and a few minutes later he was fouled to win a penalty that Collins converted. They equalized in first-half stoppage time, but early in the second half (with all three subs used on the defence, 4 if I had been able to), Collins went off injured to leave us a man down. That didn’t stop another penalty (from Gallagher) giving us an unlikely lead. Fane also went off, taking us down to just 9 players, but we still looked alright for most of the half. However the usually excellent keeper Moore, having already scored an own-goal, spilled the ball to leave the door open for their equalizer, and they pushed on to get a winner, but it had been an admitedly excellent game.

Charlton 0-1 Liverpool (FA)

Liverpool was a massive tie in the FA cup. They inevitably took the lead in the 17th minute, but we at least held firm after that, and had a decent late attacking spell as well.

Charlton 4-1 Notts County (CH)

We were heading for another bad day against Notts County, going behind in the 5th minute. However a 12th minute own-goal equalizer seemed to raise our spirits, as did Larkins giving us the lead, as we dusted away the cobwebs of a sluggish start to the match. Larkins scored again in the second half, a 4-1 win being finished off by Lazarov, who was lucky to still be on the pitch the way he started.

Charlton 2-2 Millwall (CH)

We got off to a much better start against Millwall, with Larkins and Smith giving us a 2-0 lead after 10 minutes, however they threatened strongly late in the half, pulling one back with an equalizer looking inevitable. We had a brief respite early in the second half, with an own-goal extending the lead before they got their second, but it was short lived. They eventually scored to grab a point, but on balance that was the least they deserved.

League Table

Mar 2073

Sheff Utd 3-2 Charlton (CH)

We started well and faded again at Sheffield Utd. Hall gave us a 10th minute lead, but they equalized far too easily. We seemed to have shored up by the second half, Habraken putting us 2-1 up in the 56th minute, but they equalized a few minutes later. We faced an uphill struggle to hold out for the remaining half-hour, falling to a late goal.

Grimsby 0-1 Charlton (CH)

We managed to hold on to a lead at Grimsby. Smith gave it to us in the 21st minute, and though it wasn’t easy keeping it, we did it in the end. There was even less to say about a disappointing defeat to relegation battling Gateshead, where the scored the only goal in the 6th minute and the game otherwise never came to life.

Portsmouth 2-2 Charlton (CH)

We looked better at Portsmouth, with Smith and Paci giving us a 2-0 lead after 54 minutes, however while Portsmouth coming back to draw seemed disappointing, their chances outnumbered ours by 3:1 so being 2-0 up in the first place was very flattering.

Charlton 2-5 Salisbury (CH)

Hylton gave us a surprise 13th minute lead against table-topping Salisbury, but we well away badly afterwards, going 3-1 down by the break. I didn’t expect to come back in the second half, and I was right as they took a 5-1 lead before Smith’s 76th minute goal, too late to matter even a tiny bit.

Barnet 2-1 Charlton (CH)

After that we had to go to 2nd placed Barnet. We put up far more of a fight (which admittedly wasn’t difficult), resisting in the first half. They took the lead in the 64th minute, but we still pushed for an equalizer, eventually getting one from Stephenson, but they harshly got a winner in stoppage time.

mar73.jpg

Like most of the season, 'reasonable, but could do better'. Repeat to fade. A strong survival looks like the only thing to see here.

Decent 1st season in a higher league mate. Something to build on.

Sadly not, I decided a couple of seasons ago that this would be the end point.

Apr/May 2073

MK Dons 0-2 Charlton (CH)

We went to an MK Dons side looking like they’d be returning to League 1, but we were on the back foot in the first half. We had more confidence in the second half, and Smith scored in the 57th minute, finishing them off in the 80th.

Charlton 0-1 Watford (CH)

Watford were making a late automatic promotion push, and as expected we went down. It was just to a penalty in the 52nd minute but they were clearly on top so would probably have got the win anyway. Going to Crawley was something I was wary of, given we’d lost against the lower placed sides a lot this year, but it was just a tight draw in the end.

Charlton 1-1 Nottingham Forest (CH)

We went behind in the 9th minute against Nottingham Forest, though went on to equalize from Collins in the 36th minute, and we were a little disappointed not to snatch a winner in the second half.

Sheff Wed 3-2 Charlton (CH)

We had a terrible start at Sheffield Wednesday, going 2-0 behind in the first 15 minutes. It didn’t look like we’d get anything, and even when Collins pulled one back in the 47th minute, they almost immediately scored a 3rd. However Stephenson scored our 2nd in the 54th minute, and only a disallowed Collins goal in added time prevented us from taking a point away. It wouldn’t have been a particularly well deserved point, but it was still agonizing.

Charlton 0-2 Crystal Palace (CH)

The last home game was against Crystal Palace, and even with a man advantage from the 27th minute, we struggled to break through and they hit us on the counter in the 38th minute. As we lost the will they sealed it with another in the 62nd minute.

Tonbridge 0-4 Charlton (CH)

A trip to Tonbridge wasn’t an easy way to end, especially as we’d potentially drop to finish as low as 17th, which would be a disappointing way to end a season which saw is at least 5 places ahead almost all year. Not much happened, at least until little-used signing Haines gave us a 28th minute lead, which was a relief. He then headed in a Larkins cross in the 43rd minute. Stephenson and Larkin capped it off with a goal each in the last 10 minutes, so I at least finished the career with a great win.

final73.jpg

A season after a promotion always starts (and mostly continues) with survival as the main, and often only, objective. This season was definitely a good success from that standpoint. There was little of note, early on in the season we had a brief good spell, later a brief poor one, but otherwise it was a mid-table season from start to finish, though much better defensive consistency might have delivered the playoff challenge that we misleadingly threatened to have early on, gradually slipping out of the top half late on, which was a shame as that had long been the only real goal remaining once survival was easily going to be achieved, but I’d definitely have taken that at the start of the season so it was important not to be too downhearted, and if the second half of the season had been disappointing, Tonbridge was just the right game to shine, and give a legendary manager a brilliant send off.

Squad Stats

Star player: While he was never going to reach the heights of last season, it was a very strong all round contribution at a higher level.

Stephenson73.jpg

Reaching 2073 beat my previous record by a full 20 years (and 19 seasons in-game), and I doubt I’ll get anywhere near 63 seasons again, so inevitably it was an eventful trip taking in all sorts of places. Here’s a recap.

Krsko

There was hardly anyone to bring in in the summer, followed by a bad start to a short league season, and while we picked up a bit afterwards, we couldn’t quite pull off what had become a tough survival mission.

Hogaborg

An entire team had to be brought in, vastly improving the squad quality many times, but leaving gelling issues that left us with just a single point from the first half a season, after which I felt there was little point staying. It could only improve from there.

Frigg

This was nice and stable. Survival was assured this time, having taken over a re-promoted team, and we quickly established ourselves, but a combination of a short season and one promotion spot (plus inconsistencies and a glass ceiling in squad quality) proved frustrating, so eventually I felt I needed to go elsewhere to move on up.

Sportist

I arrived expecting to survive but not being entirely confident about it, instead I ended my first season in Bulgaria with promotion, admittedly only due to a team who had finished above us being unable to go up instead. Survival wasn’t an issue as we quickly established ourselves as a decent top flight side, but we seemed very far off the top clubs (we had an especially bad time every time we went to any of the Sofia clubs, where we won just once in 5 years), so it was moving on time.

BATE

I achieved what I wanted in terms of getting a rep-boosting cup, but that only provided limited benefits, and in the league the team couldn’t decided whether they were relegation candidates or title challengers, changing from one to the other every month or two, which got very frustrating, along with the cup being an autumn-to-spring thing along side a calendar year league. Typically we embarked on an incredible run to come close to winning the league after I decided I’d had enough and would leave at the end of the year.

Coventry/Ferrol

Two places stuck in short-lived mediocrity.

Brighton

Slightly better than the previous two places. Managed to rally the team mid-season to the playoff final, but a worse start to the following season but me under pressure, and while things picked up, it wasn’t enough for the board. A break from club football followed.

Michalove

A welcome return to club football started slowly. For a couple of years we were stuck as a bottom half side, then we started to pick up, with a couple more cups, but Zilina seemed so far ahead. One year we did unseat them, but only on head-to-head results in a season when they won every single game against everyone else from September, which gives you an idea how tough they were. Failed to get anywhere near retaining it in my last year, but did pick up an all important 3rd cup.

Milan (part 1)

This is an era that has gone down into legend. They had been stuck as a mid-table side with no glory for years, and sneaking them into Europe in my first season was just the start of it. After a few years, we kept getting closer and closer to the title, and broke a very long trophyless run with a double of the cup and CL. The following season was trophyless, then came the first of 7 titles in a row (extended to 14 after I left), all won in dominating style, constantly with over 100 goals scored, over a century of goal difference a few times, and 105 points (as well as being undefeated another year) for the 6th. This was coupled with 4 CL wins in 5 years (being losing finalists the other time). Including tight back to back wins over Inter and Man City after being behind in extra-time both times (turning it around in the last 8 minutes to win 4-2 the first time, and on penalties the second), and a massive 7-0 over the latter for the last one, which in the same season as the 105 points in the league made it seem all too easy. Even in the CL knockouts (where winning both legs is otherwise rare) teams were easily taken apart both home and away on a regular basis.

However we could fight as well. The Inter final was achieved after a Man Utd semi where we lost at home, went 2-0 down away, and yet still fought back to get an aggregate win, and the epic battles meant that final (as well as that semi) are far better remembered than the easy victories. While it’s unfair on a few other players naming a specific ‘Magical Milan XI’ to be immortalised, it would bez: Jim Puncheon; Ingo Schmiedel, Edgar Sebastiao, Adriano, Antonio Ambrosi; Christos Katsikas, Rene Larsen, Marin Clement, Andreas Richter; Christian Eweka, Donato Terzi. They were maybe not quite the strongest side I’ve ever had on paper, but they slotted together so well (as well as others like Hathaway, Matthews, Pastor and Helm who would get star billing in any other side) that I doubt I’ll ever have a side shine like that ever again. Screenshots of memorable players/achievements are kept long-term, and this side has an entire folder. The likes of Ord, Malpass, Sola and Rahlfs may be greater individual legends but couldn’t quite boast a supporting cast like this.

Dunfermine

I sought a challenge in Scotland, and definitely got one, finishing bottom of the Third Division in my first year. However things picked up very well, as we won the league the following year, and had a good spring to gain back-to-back promotions with a very lucky play off win. Not for the first time, survival wasn’t too big an issue, put progressing in a league that it was hard to get out of definitely was. I at least managed to add a cup win with a lower division side to the back-to-back promotions as a personal first.

Betis

Just one league win before a sacking in March, as the first low point in years.

AEK Athens

A decent place to restore my reputation. Two 3rd places were seen very differently. The first was a lot better than expected (which was top half at best) and included a cup win. The second was after blowing a strong league lead in the second half of the season (having done the same in the European playoff table the previous year). The title seemed a matter of time, but my rep had recovered enough to make possible a return to Milan.

Milan (part 2)

I was taking a massive risk by coming back, as I needed to assemble and grow a new team while being expected to challenge for the title. To help me I had my original Milan signing Larsen as Ass Man, with hotshot forwards Terzi and Eweka as coaches (as well as Schmiedel and Sebastiao who left after some time). I also was able to see out the careers of my legends Kentsch, Helm and Pastor. The second Milan would always be overshadowed by the first, but there were a few players that were superior to their Magical Milan counterparts, especially at full-back, but also McShane in goal and Nicoletti on the left (though only with Richter moving back into the centre), as the latter broke assist records, and El Amrani came top for average rating for a season, so along with another 7 (mostly) easy titles and 3 more CLs (two narrow wins over Liverpool and a demolishing of PSG to go out on), they were a formidable outfit in their own-right.

Dusseldorf

How typical that 22 years at Milan would be followed by the shortest stint of them all in Germany. It wasn’t terrible, but expectations were high and I walk while on the verge of sacking after just a few months.

Charlton

Arrived at a side mired in mediocrity, and with little defence, an unsurprisingly things didn’t improve much for the rest of the season. A summer rebuilding/regathering paid off and we stormed to a hard-fought promotion and League 1 win. That left a final season of mid-table survival as a minor achievement to sign off on.

Trophy Cabinet

Took a long time to get anything (15 years), then almost 10 more to win anything else, but definitely made up for lost time after that. Obviously I have rather a lot to thank Milan for (or rather what they have to thank me for) but I still have a few other things besides what I won there.

BATE

Belarusian Cup: 1 (2025)

Belarusian Super cup: 1 (2026)

Michalovce

Slovakian Cup: 2 (2035. 2038)

Slovakian Super Cup: 2 (2035, 2037)

Slovakian Title: 1 (2037)

Milan

Italian cup: 10 (2043, 2045, 2046, 2049, 2051, 2064, 2067, 2068, 2069, 2070)

Champions League: 8 (2043, 2046, 2047, 2049, 2050, 2065, 2067, 2070)

European Super Cup: 4 (2043, 2046, 2049, 2065)

CWC: 6 (2043, 2046, 2047, 2049, 2050, 2065)

Serie A: 14 (2045, 2046, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2050, 2051, 2063, 2064, 2065, 2067, 2068, 2069, 2070)

Super Cup: 10 (2045, 2046, 2048, 2050, 2063, 2064, 2065, 2066, 2068. 2069)

Dunfermline

Division 3: 1 (2054)

Challenge Cup: 1 (2056)

Scottish Cup: 1 (2057)

AEK Athens

Greek cup: 1 (2060)

Charlton

League 1: 1 (2072)

Ghana

ACN: 1 (2039)

So it ends, and you can’t say I didn’t have a proper go on this one. It was interesting only going for young players. They weren’t necessarily cheaper than 21+ players (though I didn’t have to pay through the nose for anywhere near as many as I thought), but in the short term, wage bills were kept pretty low on most cases. It was very hit and miss, and even at the three clubs I excelled at, Michalovce, Milan and Dunfermline, things started very slow (I thought my job was at risk with very poor starts to my second seasons in both Slovakia and Milan, after average first seasons). It was hard to tell whether the young players made form much more inconsistent than usual, but they probably did a bit. It also helped cut down considerably on very large lists of free agents that I often had to wade through, but at the same time at a few places I felt that there was a bit of a glass ceiling.

I sometimes took a peek at a few over 20 players offered to me on frees, and could see I was missing out on being able to improve the team much more, plus beyond the top leagues, player development was fairly limited. Also, having lots of promising young players meant constant bids, which meant lots of unhappy players, even though many of the bids were value at best (sometimes far below) and/or for ‘sideways’ moves where the players wouldn’t have as much grounds to complain about being rejected or missing out on. A final plus however was demonstrated by the Magical Milan (and Michalovce) sides. As the teams developed, fortunes improved, glory was won and there was a special feeling that myself and the players had together been part of this long road to success, and thats maybe why it felt as wonderful as it did.

The stats are quite staggering. 15 clubs and 4 nations managed in 22966 in-game days and over 61 real world days. 2746 matches played, 1635 won, 462 drawn and 649 lost, with 6329 goals scored and 3213 conceded. 367 players were bought for a total of £766M, 224 were sold for a total of £343M (with 512 released). Counting even the most minor competitions, 17 leagues were won, 48 cups, and 45 personal awards, earning 48.5M in total. Milan admittedly dominates all of those stats.

This word document I’m writing in now has reached over 310 pages and over 235k words, so well done and a massive thank you to everyone who has followed this for any part of it, I know my style doesn’t make it easy, but glad that some people are able to enjoy the journey as much as I do, as long epic eventful journeys are precisely how I experience the game and think of it as being, and I hope I’ve managed to get across even a bit of that sense of Odyssey. The only difference is the lack of a long montage set to wonderful nostalgic music.

And they all lived happily ever after.

The End

Deltablue will return in...

Thunderbird Delta: International Footballing Rescue

May I be the first (unless someone else jumped in while I was reading your last post!) to congratulate you on the ending of a tremendous career. :applause:

And I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to 2.11.12 now (well, for two reasons at least!)

May I be the first (unless someone else jumped in while I was reading your last post!) to congratulate you on the ending of a tremendous career. :applause:

And I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to 2.11.12 now (well, for two reasons at least!)

Thanks so much.

Absolutely brilliant career,your commitment to your save has been outstanding!Well played Sir and roll on 2/11/12 :D
Totally agree, 60+ seasons is amazing commitment! :eek:

It's far more than I've managed before, and probably ever will. Does feel like rather a lot doesn't it?

great career man, enjoyed the thread from start to end :applause:

Thanks, hopefully we'll have a few more BET-PH71 predictions in the future as I rather enjoyed those.

Epic career, enjoyed following this a lot, the longevity factor was a huge selling point as were the rather insane job moves at times. :D I rather liked that you were awesome in some jobs and rubbish in others too. :D It was really unpredictable.

Magic Milan will certainly remain in the history of this forum. :thup:

Epic career, enjoyed following this a lot, the longevity factor was a huge selling point as were the rather insane job moves at times. :D I rather liked that you were awesome in some jobs and rubbish in others too. :D It was really unpredictable.

Magic Milan will certainly remain in the history of this forum. :thup:

Well I could do with a few less rubbish clubs myself, and sometimes not even I would have a clue where I'm going, which is rather fun :D

What a fantastic career and a brilliant read. I'm looking forward to reading all about your FM13 career. Take a bow son, take a bow.

Cheers, must admit I can't wait to read about my next one either :D

Archived