Players tracking back

Playing a 4-2-3-1 and noticing that when the other team attacks my 3 attacking midfielder's all just stand watching with the striker while the other team passes around. How do I get them to come back when we don't have possession without hindering their attacking duties when we do have the ball?

I don't mind my striker staying up there but it's extremely annoying when I'm defending and FOUR players are standing doing nothing. I'm hoping I have to adjust something in player instructions.

What I've recently been doing is not caring what my formation looks like on the formation screen, and only concentrating on how it plays. Play them in the CM/L/RM line and give them license to get forward and enough mentality to attack.

How about setting them to Defensive Wingers (not sure of the instructions, but that sounds about right).

Could only set them to closing down the backline though.

Another option is to increase the fluidity of your tactic to decrease their mentality and get them more involved in defensive work.

at a guess the two wingers at aml and amr are probably set to zonal marking so only patrol their zone, being the top left or right corner.

once the fullback goes past them i have noticed they dont track back as they have effectivley moved out of the "zone" the wide man is covering.

id suggest either setting them to man mark the fullbacks and see if they track them back or like suggested above play them at mr/ml to provide more defensive cover. they will still get forward enough from my experiance.

Don't underestimate the importance of mental attributes - particularly the Work Rate of your players, but also Teamwork/Determination/Stamina.

The above coupled with a fluid/very fluid philosophy would see them become more defensive without posession. As someone else mentioned, man marking would also probably help here.

I play with 2 DM's plus AML/AMC/AMR above them and have them sucessfully track back most of them time.

you could try specific marking with those players. that should work

It does work. If you want your wingers to track back it's the only way to make sure they will. Relying on anything else wont.

Playing with the mentality structure will change the Closing down settings as will changing the role of your wingers to Defensive Wingers. This will help but once the opponent Backs get beyond a certain point your wingers will often "give up" tracking them.

Placing players on a lower strata will definitely help but they still wont track back as much as if you specifically man mark the opponent.

It's not totally unrealistic. Think of it as a personal note to your wingers: "follow your guy all the way back no matter what".

In other words, stick to your man, or Man Mark - seems fine to me

Man marking or individual man marking works OK but with aggressive forward runs and runs with ball (on often) your pushed up winger may not has time to track back when quick counter starts.

Man marking or individual man marking works OK but with aggressive forward runs and runs with ball (on often) your pushed up winger may not has time to track back when quick counter starts.

That's true but everything is risk/reward isn't it? Playing with a 4-2-3-1 places your wingers high up the pitch which gives certain benefits but certain drawbacks as well. Nothing is perfect but at least if you give your wingers man marking instructions they will track back. Personally I don't think its essential to give these personal instructions all the time but It can particularly important when the opposition is overlapping his fullbacks or when playing against a "wingless" formation (4-3-1-2 for example). Often times if you don't give Man Marking instructions to your wingers against an attacking opponent or a wingless formation your midfield and defense can quickly get overwhelmed either periodically or constantly. Then again if your defense is super tight leaving one or two wingers high up does allow you to exploit a lot of empty space, risk/reward.

A simple tack back option/tick for attacking players would solve this..... not a difficult tactical inclusion.

One of the problems with FM's tactical set up is the limit that playing on certain 'lines' gives you. For the 4-2-3-1 to work properly ideally the two def mids need to be on a line between the def mid and centre mid lines and the three att mids need to be on a line between the centre mids and att mid lines.

As stated above though it's risk reward and your own personal feel on which shape set up you prefer.

i had this problem as well, one thing that helped me a bit but doesn't really solve the problem is setting the wingers run from deep to never or give them a b arrow. i found this worked better than changing mentality, marking and closing down.

Archived