FM12: SL Benfica thread - still strong, still... portuguese?

kingjericho

slbenfica2012logo.png

Welcome to the official FM12 Sport Lisboa e Benfica thread.

Sport Lisboa e Benfica is a Portuguese multi-sports club based in Lisbon. Although they successfully compete in a number of different sports, Benfica is mostly known for its association football team. Founded in Lisbon in February 28, 1904, it is one of the Big Three football clubs in Portugal, with Futebol Clube do Porto and Sporting Clube de Portugal being the other two clubs, Benfica's biggest rivals. Benfica has more than 14 million fans and the Guinness World Record for the football club in the world with most members. Benfica's supporters are often called "Benfiquistas". Benfica was elected by the IFFHS as the 9th most successful european football club of the 20th century and by FIFA as the 12th most succcessful world football club of the 20th century.

It is the most successful Portuguese football club in terms of national titles with 66 titles.

The stadium

640px-LuzLissabon.jpg

Home of the Euro 2004 final, inspired other stadiums as Arsenal's Emirates Stadium or Sunderland's Stadium of Light, which is the english translation of Benfica's stadium name, Estádio da Luz. It averages around 40000 spectators per match and it has one of the best pitches in Europe. Before every match, an eagle, the club's symbol, flies from the top of the stadium to the pitch, where it lands on the club's crest. It's a spectacular moment which is unique in any club in the world.

The shirt

benfica1r.pngbenfica2o.png

The home shirt celebrates the 50th anniversary of our second European Champions Cup victory, and also simbolizes the end of a controversial sponsorship which had a blue sponsor on our home shirt for the last 5 seasons.

Recent history

In the last 3 seasons we won 1 League (2009/10) and 3 League Cups. The 2010/11 season was considered a failure, as the club had the worst championship start of all time. Benfica ended up in second place. The team's only success was the Portuguese League Cup. Benfica reached the semi-finals of the Europa League and finished 3rd in the Champions League group stage in a fairly accessible group.

The 2011/12 season starts with the arrival of many fresh faces, some are youth prospects, others are established quality players. The level of the players is very high and the squad depth is huge. Despite the quality, many fans contest the emerging number of foreign players and the lack of more portuguese players in the squad, which leads to a great influx of argentine and brazilian players, making the starting lineups often appear with no portuguese players.

The expectations

If you take control of the Glorioso you're always expected to win the League and the Cup. The League Cup is irrelevant, and you're also expected to do a good campaign in the Champions League. Always the Champions League, even being in the Europa League is considered bad.

Since when you take charge many signings were already made, the transfer budget isn't more than €7m but you can offload a handful of dead wood. Balancing the wage budget properly will enable you to have a much better transfer budget next season.

It is up to you to take our glorious club to national and international stardom. Good luck!

Club information

General information

benficainformationgener.png

Competition history

benficahistorycompeions.png

Facilities

benficainformationfacil.png

As you can see there is not much you need to improve in terms of facilities. Your aims in these departments are to change the media prediction to first, to increase the financial situation and to increase the estimated value of the club. More trophies lead to more reputation, which leads to more money, which leads to more trophies. You see where I'm getting at.

The squad

As I said above the squad is very deep and allows you to play in very different formations. You can choose from more experienced players to young prospects, which you should give matches in order to develop them, or else loan them to give them experience. You can also have players in the reserve squad, that has matches every week. Of course the level is lower but it's mainly to keep match fitness of less used players.

Let's take a look at the first team. Every player has a link to in-game profile picture.

Star rating: ***good; **average or youth prospect; *dispensable.

Goalkeepers:

Artur***

Eduardo**

Mika**

Defenders:

Luisão***

Ezequiel Garay***

Miguel Vitor**

Jardel*

Maxi Pereira***

Emerson**

Joan Capdevila**

Luís Martins**

César Peixoto*

Midfielders:

Javi Garcia***

Nemanja Matic***

Ruben Amorim**

Ruben Pinto**

David Simão**

Pablo Aimar***

Nolito**

Axel Witsel***

Bruno César***

Enzo Pérez***

Nico Gaitán***

Forwards:

Javier Saviola***

Óscar Cardozo***

Rodrigo**

Nélson Oliveira**

Rodrigo Mora**

The team has solutions for every position, so you don't need to make any desperate acquisition which is always a good thing. Despite that, I'd say that the left and right-back positions are the less strong position, as the right side only has Maxi Pereira and the left side has a defensively average Emerson and an old Capdevila. Look for solutions to these issues.

Players to keep: Miguel Vítor, Luís Martins, David Simão, Ruben Pinto, Rodrigo and Nélson Oliveira are players with great potential. Probably none of them has regular spot but hold on to them, they can turn out really good.

Players to go: On the other hand, César Peixoto and Jardel are not up to our standards and should be sold as soon as possible. Also, Capdevila is already 33 and isn't that good, especially looking at his monstruous wage. Because he's a new signing you won't be able to sell him right away but when December arrives try to get rid of him. And also Eduardo, who is a second choice and is on loan, if you want you can send him back to Genoa and save some more money. You can also consider selling Ruben Amorim, Nolito and Rodrigo Mora if you want to save money or if you find a better player.

I didn't get screenies of all the staff but in terms of scouts you have a dozen of them who are more than competent. As for coaches, some of them are not good enough and you might want to to get some coaches to optimize the training development.

Players on loan and tactical analysis

The reserve squad is full of players on loan. Most of them should be sent far away ASAP, but others can be an important part of your team when they return.

Jan Oblak (GK) - bad mental attributes but great keeping skills, he's one of the most promising goalies in the game.

Júlio César (GK) - definitely not as good as the other Júlio César but he can fill for Eduardo if you don't want to keep him.

Roderick (CB) - definitely better than Jardel, keep him as he has great potential. I've seen him go to Inter in other saves when he's around 26.

Daniel Wass (RB) - he's young and needs to develop a bit more, but a couple of years in and he can turn out a pretty good attacking full back.

Lionel Carole (LB) - offensive left back who needs work but can become good.

Airton (DMC) - can be useful to replace Javi Garcia or Matic.

Fellipe Bastos (MC) - all rounded midfielder who is better than Ruben Amorim. Can do a decent job as a second choice.

Elvis (AMC) - good technique and dribbling skills make him a great player for a mid-table team, and he can become a great trequartista in the long term.

Urreta (AMR) - his mental attributes are a bit disappinting but he's a good solution if you want a winger with pace and flair.

Franco Jara (ST) - he was part of the squad last season and played well but Benfica wanted him to play more regularly. Better than Rodrigo Mora and Saviola is getting old so keep him.

Lorenzo Melgarejo (ST) - good prospect in this quick poacher. He can become your new Saviola.

Regarding the tactical approach you can play in numerous formations, depending on your preferences. The important thing is that the squad has players for every position and you can change formation without losing quality in a specific position. Be creative. Here are some examples (using my fascinating ms paint skills):

10171196.png11457643.png11071101.png

Started a game with Benfas, transfers below

transferse.png

Sold Jardel and Peixoto both players just not needed and loaned out a few but Rodrigo Mora on those wages is a surpluss too, didnt sell cause he just joined. Bought Nelson Rivas as a backup but im hardly using him his siting in reserves, Rafael Toloi young defender for cheap, decent speed and can use both feet, Miguel Veleso i thought was a bargain i couldnt resist and so far as been worth the money, Wiliam is a GOD and a must buy remind me of ronaldinho and for 7.5m is a must, Leandro seems to have a huge potential so his one for the future and may have paid too much.

1st team looks like this:

teamj.png

Gk Artur looks best on attributes but ass man always prefers Eduardo, i usually rotate them, when one concedes the other gets a chance.

DR: Maxi has many assists with his long throw ppm and been solid

DL: Emerson been average, weak at times

DCs: Luisao and Garay both are very slow, Luisao will be gone end of this season and im look for a quick defender

MCs: Usually battled between Javi, Veleso and Witsel, expected more from witsel so far

AML: William been a god here

AMR: Gaitan by far one of our best players, amazing shots and scoring loads for me

AMC: Pablo aimar been good probably has 1 or 2 more seasons left in him

FC: Cardozo has more goals than games for me.

IM happy with the squad so far, Looking foward to see how rodrigo, Nelson turn out to be, our weakness really is defense, way to slow and sometimes usually off position

Results so far:

resultst.png

Only lost to FC twente and Man City, i got a hard champions league group with man city, bayen and apoel. Managed to win bayern at home but lost to city at home and beat apoel away. so the hard bit is yet to come and hopefully ill finish 2nd in the group.

Will post more stuff later and if anyone got any questions shoot

Reached 1st of Feb now, Had a lil problem with finances and had to cut down on wages

transfers2.png

Mutual Terminated Nelson Rivas contract he was on 19k, Sold Luisao for 9m, Loaned out Leandro who is on 20k+ wages, Loaned Bruno Cesar too, Sold Rodrigo Mora who was on high wages too for 25% and 1.8m, Capdevilla went out on loan 60% of the wages. Now my wages are nicely and i still have a strong squad for now.

Cardozo has been a beast for me:

cardozov.png

Results so far:

results2d.png

Managed to pass through group stages, Bayern stayed behind. Problem now is I got Real Madrid next out of all the teams...And Aimar injured for 3 months doesnt help either

How is everyone else getting along? Transfers and so on?

You seem to be scoring loads of goals. How are you playing Cardozo?

----------

Started my save yesterday.

About to make my first official game against Rubin for the CL qual.

The squad seems good enough to win every domestic competition, my only sign was Vrsaljko (€3,8m).

Still looking to sell/loan a few players.

You seem to be scoring loads of goals. How are you playing Cardozo?

----------

Started my save yesterday.

About to make my first official game against Rubin for the CL qual.

The squad seems good enough to win every domestic competition, my only sign was Vrsaljko (€3,8m).

Still looking to sell/loan a few players.

I use my tactic that I had I made with FM11 with the player update done here by one of the users where Nelson Oliveira got a boost he almost scored 1k goals for me. His on about 800 and something.

I use a playmaker (AMC) and Target Man, Cardozo Insutrctions Below and the wingers are set to IF but with my own setting, no long shots, through balls and cross from byline set to often. And Cardozo also gets a lot of Corner goals so...

cardozointructions.png

I might give him extra freedom, so he can try some long range shots as his a beast from that too.

Admittedly, not the best transfer budgets there, Pipson :D

One question: Would you Benfica FM'ers agree that Nico Gaítan is Benfica's best player at the moment? Don't watch too much Portugese football, sadly but, whenever I've watched Benfica, and Gaítan, in the Champions League, they've looked good.

I wouldnt say that Gaitan is the best player because benfica this time around for once in a long time actually have a very good squad. At the moment Rodrigo has been our best player, his been in amazing form for club and his country. But our top players are Rodrigo, Gaitain, Witsel (although his been average lately), Cardozo up there too, Nolito had an amazing start to the season i think he had 6 goals in 6 games then for some reason JJ benched him as Bruno Cesar started to show some quality. Bruno is another good player. Aimar is godlike playmaker and benfica need to start looking for a replacement soon. Attacking wise Benfica have excellent players but our defense...that needs sorting. We havent managed to achieve a single cleansheet at HOME so far this season.

One question: Would you Benfica FM'ers agree that Nico Gaítan is Benfica's best player at the moment? Don't watch too much Portugese football, sadly but, whenever I've watched Benfica, and Gaítan, in the Champions League, they've looked good.

Our best player is Aimar hands down. If I had to say anything about Gaitan is that he has too much work rate in FM. He has a brilliant left foot, crosses and dribbles like few but he's a lazy b*tch.

Our best player is Aimar hands down. If I had to say anything about Gaitan is that he has too much work rate in FM. He has a brilliant left foot, crosses and dribbles like few but he's a lazy b*tch.

:lol:

I say Luisão is our best player, absolutely love that guy, even if he never shuts his trap during every single transfer window.

Cheers lads; I think you can tell I don't watch Benfica, or Portugese football, that much :D

Anyway, cheers for the feedback. Interesting to hear opinions from actual fans, not just TV pundits. When I watched Benfica vs. United earlier in the season, I thought Gaítan was very good. I bought him for Birmingham on FM10 while he was still at Boca Juniors. Great Signing :D

x2

Though Gaitan is probably the most technically gifted player in the squad.

--------------

Good season Pipson. Cardozo was a beast in your 1st season.

You need to work on those finances:D

-------------

Qualified for the champions by beating Rubin 9-2 ag. My group is Real, Zenit and Partizan.

Sold Peixoto to Almeria. Sent Mora and Luis Martins on loan.

If you can´t sell, try to send them on loan in January.

---------------------

I finally got to the end of season 1. Very pleased with the way it ended.

Liga Zon Sagres:

ligazonsagresvistageralo.th.png

Portuguese Cup:

sportingvbenficainforma.th.png

Crazy game. I would've gone mad if i had lost after the 4-1 lead at HT.

Europa League:

ligaeuropavistageralfas.th.png

Had a few problems with injuries in defense so, i had to rely on my attack scoring more than the opponent on the way to the final. Not much to tell against Leverkusen, got an early lead and controlled the rest of the game.

Galeano was my only sign in January. Unfortunately, he couldn't play for me as i was his 3rd club in one season. Having sold Jardel, i was left with only 3 cb's. Maxi Pereira left for Inter for free (forgot to renew his contract in time:o).

At least my finances are in the green, though i don't think i will have much to spend.

In case someone wants to reinforce defense here's my good signings with SLB:

Mehdi Benatia (DC/DD)

Sime Vrsaljko (DD,MD,MC).

José Angel (DE)

Lionel Carole on 2nd season was good reinforce for left side when he came from loan.

also keep an eye in Valencia from ManU and Afellay from Barça, they got transfer listed as "not needed by club" and will make huge boost to the squad

Great season! Scoring 104 goals in 30 matches is truly impressive, and winning the Europa is just not great because that means you didn't pass the CL group stage :D

I see it as a good thing. One less competiton to win with Benfica:p

After selling most of the players that were on loan, my balance went from €1m to €28m:)

Hi all "benficistas" :) Maybe we should push a new life into this sub-forum and share everyone's impressions from the ride...

Reached to the first transfer window and really enoying it, at least so far.

Leading the league after first half - although Porto and Sporting are hot on my trail, yet.

In CL group came second behing Arsenal and facing Real Madrid now in play-offs :)

Let me introduce my current main players:

GK: Eduardo, Artur.

RB: Vrsaljko, Maxi Pereira.

LB: Capdevila, Digne.

CB: Luisao, Garay, Xulu, Miguel Vitor.

DM: Javi Garcia, Torrado, Matic, Amorim.

MC: Witsel, Torrado.

MR: Enzo Perez, Roni.

AML: Gaitan, Rodrigo, Nolito, Bruno Cesar.

AMC: Pablo Aimar, David Simao, Bruno Cesar.

ST: Cardozo, Nelson Oliveira, Rodrigo, R. Mora.

Using assymetrical formation as positions are showing.

ATM trying to bring ST/AMC Nikao to the club, but negotiations ongoing.

Do you have any other suggestions where to get stronger (yes, money is an issue!) and who to offload (although board is giving back only 35% transfer revenue ATM).

You can sell Mora as Jara is loaned and I consider him a more complete forward, or you can sell Jara instead; sell Jardel, he's not good enough; Amorim and Nolito are not formidable players so if you need money I guess you can sell them as well; as for the players in the reserve team almost everyone should be sold when they return so you have around €5m with the loanees sales. You can also sell Capdevila as his quality doesn't match his huge wages.

It's "benfiquistas" btw ;)

I'm still in my 2nd season. About to play the supercup against Sporting, who will also be my first opponent in the league.

Meanwhile, I decided to bring a big name to Benfica.

Leandro Damião is one of the players i'm currently negotiating. Is he worth €20m?

You can sell Mora as Jara is loaned and I consider him a more complete forward, or you can sell Jara instead; sell Jardel, he's not good enough; Amorim and Nolito are not formidable players so if you need money I guess you can sell them as well; as for the players in the reserve team almost everyone should be sold when they return so you have around €5m with the loanees sales. You can also sell Capdevila as his quality doesn't match his huge wages.

It's "benfiquistas" btw ;)

sincerest sry all the "benfiquistas from deep of my heart ;)

forgot to mention: Mora is already loaned out to Vitesse with an option of 2,6M. For Jara I see possible future in SLB, at least so far.

Agreed with Amorim, although he is versatile and that's his plus as squad player. Also home-grown. Not decided.

Nolito has been suprisingly good in AML as Gaitan's back-up and as Rodrigo is bitching with morale after a while, I may be reluctant to sell Nolito in this window.

Totally agreed about Capdevila (age + wages), but: I have signed Digne, but he's not ready yet as first choice. Haven't find suitable replacement (better quality/price/wages) for Capdevila - if I don't, will sell in the summer and hope Digne is better then.

Also: as you see, Jardel is not in my team, so he's sold already.

I'm still in my 2nd season. About to play the supercup against Sporting, who will also be my first opponent in the league.

Meanwhile, I decided to bring a big name to Benfica.

Leandro Damião is one of the players i'm currently negotiating. Is he worth €20m?

If you aren't spoling whole structure (money-wise) in the club, he surely is. Haven't seen or heard anyone who has said the boy hasn't performed yet.

How much did you get for the 2nd season? What about your achievements in first?

If you aren't spoling whole structure (money-wise) in the club, he surely is. Haven't seen or heard anyone who has said the boy hasn't performed yet.

How much did you get for the 2nd season? What about your achievements in first?

The board gave me €1.5m. After selling all the players that i didn't need, I got over 30m.

Won the league, the portuguese cup and the europa league.

I am planning to keep :

Nelson Oliveira

Roderick

Miguel Victor

Ruben Pinto

Luis Martins

David Simao

Mika

the rest will be mostly regens from my own academy or buy from others and train them

i do have my eyes on:

Pizzi ,

Rúben Brigido

Caetano

The season is not going as planned , i started wil lowest reputation and i am having problems with the team not trusting me

the only real problem before the second season: I need both new full-back's ASAP.

Especially LB as Capdevila is getting on (although was solid in 1st year) and Digne needs time to be first choice.

Waiting for suggestions in both positions - even better if he is able to play in LB and RB. Budget is tight.

• 2 weeks later...

hei all experienced SLB-managers (if any is available here ;)

Wanted to ask if, when and for how much have you sold players like Cardozo, Witsel, Luisao, Rodrigo, Gaitan, Bruno Cesar, Garay, Sidnei, Javi Garcia, Pablo Aimar etc.?

Who have you retained till the end of their careers and possibly hired as coach?

you wont get much money for any of them at the start,as all of them have ridicoulsly low values(Gaitán's value is 3.5 m if am not in mistake)

but you should get some good money for Cardozo,Witsel,Gaitán if you have 1 or 2 good seasons with them

am only on my second season,but Gaitán,Roderick Miranda and Nélson Oliveira will definitely stay in Benfica unless a really good offer comes in,Witsel is good but i dont like CMs with such low defensive stats

guys am having a bit of a problem,i created B teams for the Big Three,i put them in the third tier,they ripped the leagues apart Sporting B was second only to me and Porto who played in the North division threw it all away in the playoffs

now that am on the second season i bought a bunch of awesome regens and threw them to the B Team,their ripping the Orangina apart,and now am afraid that they will be promoted to the first tier which is really unrealistic,

i didn't read any rules that said B teams cant be promoted

am specially worried since my B team played in the league cup(they didn't play in the Portuguese Cup tough)

Archived