At Blundell Park Att: 7824

Ht: 0-0

Ft: Won 1-0

Scorer: Robinson (81)

MOM: Daniel Boateng (Mansfield)

Stats: Shots: Gr - 18 Mt - 7

On Target: Gr - 6 Mt - 1

Poss: Gr - 60% Mt - 40%

Never been in such a one sided match as this and if there had been any justice in the world Grimsby would have walked this one. What did impress me more than anything was the performance of Naylor and Boateng at the back. It was like watching Adams and Keown, Bruce and Pallester etc they were doing something special at the back and the few times they did get through Adam had it covered. What did happen against the run of play was the fantastic breakaway that led to a good finish and took us through to the Home leg with a lead which is what I really wanted.

Blue Square Premier Play Off Semi Final Second Leg

Vs Grimsby

At Fields Mill Att: 8798

Ht: 2-1

FT: 2-1 Agg: 3-2

Scorers: Edwards (4), Boateng (44)

MOM: Daniel Boateng (Mansfield)

Stats: Shots: Mt - 10 Gr - 6

On Target: Mt - 4 Gr - 1

Poss: Mt - 41% Gr - 59%

Once we got the win in the first leg I knew if we stuck to our game plan they would leave gaps as they had to chase the match and there you go the result speaks for itself and off to Wembley we go.

Blue Square Premier Play Off Final

Vs Darlington

At Wembley Stadium Att: 38,822

Ht: 1-2

FT: 3-2

Scorers: Hawkins (4,73), Meikle (79)

MOM: Jack Hawkins (Mansfield)

MANSFIELD TOWN PROMOTED TO LEAGUE 2!

Stats: Shots: Mt - 14 Da - 10

On Target: Mt - 7 Da - 5

Poss: Mt - 47% Da - 53%

All I can say is what a comeback and let the result above tell you the whole story. The Stags are in the leagues!

Season 2013 / 2014 Mansfield Town

End of Season

League: 2nd (Promoted via Playoffs)

Played: 46 Won: 26 Drew: 9 Lost: 11 For: 79 Against: 53 GD: + 26 Pts: 87

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE

Top Scorer: Pablo Counago (19)

FA Cup: 1st Round

FA Trophy: 3rd Round

Fans Player of the Year: Tom Naylor

Managers Player of the Year: Daniel Boateng

What a great season for the Stags after two seasons of sitting in mid table this season came out of the blue and saw the Stags finish a very strong second in the league and that has seen us into the playoffs and then eventually we see the Stags back into the Leagues and now it is the hard work of keeping us there. I really hope that we can get some investment so that we can move on and attempt a good stab at staying in League 2 and even maybe a quick shock at pushing for a double promotion. I just want to keep my youngsters here so they can grow. My only worry is that my backroom are reporting that Pablo Counago's age is catching up with him so next season don't expect to see his name as much as he will be a special occasion player.

Elsewhere in the leagues Man Utd take the Premier League title with Javier Hernandez top scorer with 22. Still going very strong in the league with the Highest average rating and highest assists go to Frank Lampard. Barcelona have taken the European Cup and Marseille have taken the UEFA cup.

Also in the World Cup 2014 the eventual winners were Spain. Spain beat Nigeria in the Final with Italy in Third. England lost in the Second Round to Brazil and Fabio Cappello left his job and has since been replaced my Martin Jol.

So then off to League 2.

Season 2014/2015 Mansfield

Start of Season

Expectations:

nPower League 2: Avoid Relegation

FA Cup: 2nd Round

League Cup: Learn from experience

JPT: Learn from experience

Transfer Budget: £0

Wage Budget: £11k

Actual Wage: £16k

Media Pred: 24th

Manager Thoughts

Right then nothing like a challenge. I have no money to spend and need to sort out my wages. I have 9 players and all the rest are u21 with no experience. Also we have just had a take over with the chairman handing over to another board member and no investment where are the Sheiks when you need them. This might be nasty so off to battle I go.

Season 2014 / 2015 Mansfield

Pre Season

Before all my pre season prep started we had the takeover that involved me having less cash in my wage budget and also my first real challenge as I was offered jobs at League 2 Plymouth and League 1 Rotherham. I turned them both down because both of them where in the same Financial position as Stags and I have a squad here. I managed in Pre Season to bring in a couple before the new budget came out on pre contract with the arrival of Paul Hohn (Loughbrough Uni), Craig Reid (Free) and Alfie Peacock (Free). No one has left the club.

Derby (H) Lost 1-3

Scorer: Robinson

Gresley (H) Won 5-0

Scorers: Reid (3), Robinson, Lozano-Calderon

Peterborough (H) Lost 1-5

Scorer: Boateng

Not a great Pre Season but two teams that were in higher leagues. Lets see what the hell happens in the league.

August

No one said it would be easy and damn where they right. This is a real challenge and I have already decided that this is not going to be a one season wonder. It took me three years to get out of the Blue Square Prem and something is telling me it might take the same again. However that dont bother me as long as I see progress each season. August bought about it alot of challenges including my first venture into League 2 and also my first venture into the league cup so lets talk about the results so far.

Oldham (H) Won 4-2

Scorers: Downes og, Meikle, Winchester og, Counago

MK Dons (A) Lost 1-4

Scorer: Reid

Newport County (A) Lost 2-3

Scorers: Robinson, Naylor

Cheltenham (H) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Lozano-Calderon, Robinson

Wycombe (A) Won 3-2

Scorers: Binnion, Lozano-Calderon, Counago

League Cup

1st Round

Leicester (A) Lost 1-6

OK then just to start with the League Cup it was a very tough match against a top Championship side so as you can see as we were attempting to come to terms with the league it was a bad thing to take place. In the League I am happy because we have some good wins and a credible draw. In the league we are left 15th but 2 pts off the play offs. So far so good even with the batterings I am satisfied.

September

Nice first month in the league and for me a couple of things that I could really cheer. So off to September and this month sees us arrive in the mighty JPT (Johnson Paint Trophy) this is something that replaces the FA Trophy that cup where I did nothing at any point. What I really want to see is that the team continue to compete and do not just give in at the first oppertunity so this is a important month that we need to bounce on with.

Plymouth (H) Lost 1-4

Scorer: Counago

Crawley (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Robinson (2)

Luton (A) Lost 1-2

Bradford (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Counago, Sayer og

Bristol Rovers (H) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Amadi

JPT

North 1st Round

Notts County (H) Won 2-1

Scorers: Counago, Meikle

This for me was another good month as we still picking up points however when we do play bigger teams like Plymouth we get a beating and that don't bother me that much as we are still picking up wins. In the Johnson Paint I am overjoyed with the victory over League one Notts County so that is something else to be proud of. In the League we are sitting 15th and now 5 pts off the play offs. We are still in touch so I am more than happy with what I am seeing but I still see that as a steady season and not one that we will push on with and challenge for promotion.

October

Before I talk about our progress I am going to talk about the number of jobs that I have been offered in October. During the month I was offered jobs at Oldham (L2), Bury (L2) and Wrexham (BSP). I rejected them all but Bury and Oldham both did intrest me however neither had any transfer funds so I decided to continue with the Mansfield adventure.

In the month of October we have played 5 league matches and managed to win 3 drew 1 and lost 1 which I think a solid month in the league that is something that I can smile about. Also the JPT continues.

Hartlepool (A) Lost 1-2

Southend (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Peacock (2), Lozano-Calderon

Rochdale (A) Won 3-2

Scorers: Meikle, Reid, Unal

Oxford (H) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Rennie, Amadi

Burton (A) Won 1-0

JPT North

2nd Round

Northampton (H) Drew 1-1

Won 5-4 on Pens

So as I say a nice solid month for the newly promoted Stags. We are sitting 11th at the moment and am 3 points off a play off position. I am currently overjoyed with how things are going and with next month we have another round of the JPT and the first steps onto the FA Cup and also keep battling in the league.

November

Ok so now we are into the Autumn and the Winter of the season this is usually when my season starts to show signs of weakness but also this month it is the next round of the JPT and also the FA cup commences. So with the cup matches we only played three games in the league but regardless what happens we don't have to look over our shoulders and we can feel secure that we are not in danger in the league of falling into the relegation zone.

Morecombe (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Meikle

Stevenage (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Counago, Peacock

Bury (H) Drew 0-0

FA Cup

1st Round

Truro (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Reid, Wellham og

Replay

Truro (H) Won 1-0

Scorer: Lozano-Calderon

JPT North

Quarter Final

Carlisle (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Peacock, Robinson, Amadi,

I think that the cup matches took our focus away from the league but still in two of the three matches we were able to still gain some points in two of the three matches we are now sitting 14th and 6 pts off play offs. However I was overjoyed with beating League one Carlisle.

December

Here we are in December and still in three battles with the league, FA Cup and The JPT. As I have said before my squad is not strong enough and additionally I do not really have a youth team to be able to put out a second string. As I look at the fixtures I am sure that by the end of the month I should be down to two competions with me drawing League 1 Preston North End in the JPT and the fact it is away at Deepdale. Additionally I need to make sure that there is not unrepairable damage to my league form if we hit the usual slump.

Accrington (A) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Rennie

Fleetwood (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Hughes og, Peacock, Unal

Walsall (A) Lost 0-1

Hereford (A) Lost 2-3

Scorers: Rennie, Naylor

FA Cup

2nd Round

Braintree (A) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Comrie og

JPT North

Semi Final

Preston North End (A) Won 2-0

Scorers: Kirton, Reid

Ok then so I was right I am now down to two competions but the one I should have one the FA Cup was a disaster and we become heroes in the JPT and another league 1 scalp falls to us. In the league however we are now 18th and 10 points off the play offs. So we move onto the new year with the objectives of staying in League Two and seeing if we can still do anything in the JPT.

January

So here we are the new year and it means we are in the second half of this important season. Obviously as the Transfer market has opened I have decided to dip my toe into the loan market with three players coming in John Whihey (Mid) - Newcastle, Steve Parkinson (St) - Wolves and Federico Nieto (St) - Huddersfield.

Also we again have the JPT to worry about and this time it is the Regional Final First leg this against League two opponents.

Oldham (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Robinson, Binnion

York (H) Won 1-0

Scorer: Naylor

Cheltenham (A) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Parkinson

Newport County (H) Won 1-0

Wycombe (H) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Kirton

JPT North

Final First Leg

Morcombe (A) Won 2-0

Scorers: Meikle (2)

So there we go the JPT journey still goes on and now I really want to get to the JPT Final. I know the league should be my focus but sorry when you are this close and I am competative and want to win things so to win the Away leg this well.

In the League we are upto 13th but still 10 points off the playoffs. I am happy as long as we keep ticking over and picking up points. So here we go.

February

OK as I am well aware we can still be relegated so what I don't need is the squad so focused on the JPT that we have a bad league month and guess what we had a disaster of a month the type a side fighting to stay up really do not need.

MK Dons (H) Lost 0-2

Plymouth (A) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Lozano-Calderon

Crawley (H) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Withey, Rennie

Bradford (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Parkinson (2)

Bristol Rovers (A) Lost 2-3

Scorers: Bennett og, Parkinson

Luton (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Kirton

JPT North

Final 2nd Leg

Morcombe (H) Won 4-3 (agg: 6-3)

Scorers: Parkinson (3), Meikle

So there we go a less than solid month that sees the Stags 18th and now 15 pts adrift of the playoffs but only 7 points off the relegation zone however we are going back toWembley in the JPT final.

March

After such a bad last month this had to be a big month and for us to bounce back and also for the second year running a big trip to Wembley. Going into March also I am a little concerned that my contract expires in the summer and so far no sign of a new one. However the question is in my mind Have I taken Mansfield as far as I can in the last 4 years?

Also looking at the players whos contracts expire in the summer this is going to be the end of the golden generation of Mansfield as some big name players will not renew their deals and are set to move on included in that Pablo Counago.

Hartlepool (H) Won 7-1

Scorers: Nieto, Rennie (2), Withey, Lozano-Calderon, Naylor, Parkinson

Southend (A) Won 2-1

Scorers: Naylor, Meikle

Rochdale (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Nieto

Oxford (A) Lost 0-2

Burton (H) Won 2-1

Scorers: Reid, Naylor

A much better month with the record breaking 7-1 win. That is a League 2 record and a Mansfield record for biggest wins and most goals. I am happy with this and feel that this has put is back in control to pull away from trouble. It sees us 17th 12 pts off the playoffs and 11 pts clear of the drop however now it is time for the MAIN EVENT of March.

Johnson Paint Trophy Final

vs Yeovil (8th in League 1)

From Wembley

Att: 26,033

Half Time: 1 - 0

Full Time: 1 - 1

Extra Time: 1 - 1

Stags Goal Scorer: Steve Binnion (30)

Score after Penalties:

3 - 2

Scorers from Spot:

Pablo Counago, Harri Robinson, Tom Kitchen

Man of the Match: Tom Unal (Mansfield)

MANSFIELD TOWN WIN THE JOHNSON PAINT TROPHY

Nothing to say I let the words above do the talking. However that is Played 2 Won 2 at Wembley as a manager!

April / May

So my first season as a League 2 manager draws to a close and still no contract. This has been such a amazing season for so many reasons the win against Hartlepool and the JPT win but now I am looking for the biggest trophy of my career and thats keeping Mansfield in League 2 and not dropping back into the Blue Square Premier.

So lets enjoy the final part of this season.

Morcombe (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Binnion, Basey og, Parkinson

Stevenage (H) Drew 3-3

Scorers: Parkinson, Rennie, Meikle

Bury (A) Lost 0-4

Accrington (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Parkinson

Fleetwood (A) Lost 1-4

Scorer: Withey

Walsall (H) Won 4-1

Scorers: Meikle, Parkinson (2), Withey

York (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Withey (2), Parkinson

Hereford (H) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Withey, Parkinson

In April Steve Parkinson was named Young Player of the Month for April.

This was a brilliant season and so that I don't spoil the end of season update I will not tell you where I have finished but I have enjoyed my season so coming soon the answer to the question did I stay up? ;)

End of Season

League: 16th

Played: 46 Won: 15 Drew: 14 Lost: 17 For: 82 Against: 80 GD: + 2 Pts: 59

League Table

Top Scorer: Steve Parkinson (15)

League Cup: 1st Round

JPT: Winners

Fans Player of the Year: Tom Naylor

Managers Player of the Year: Harri Robinson

Departing the Club

Pablo Counago - History

David MacGregor - History

Grant Adam - History

Lindon Meikle - History

Of these players Pablo Counago has retired and become my coach and David MacGregor retired and has become my new number 2.

This was a great season and I am really happy with what we have achieved. I have agreed a new 1 year deal and the reason for that is that I have been promised a transfer budget and a wage budget that means I can buy players instead of having to get rid of players.

Around the rest of the country Premier League title for Man Utd with Luis Suarez top scorer with 22. The FA Cup went to Blackburn and the League Cup to Arsenal. European cup went to Lyon and the UEFA Cup to Schalke.

Season 2015 / 2016 Mansfield

Start of Season

Expectations:

nPower League 2: Learn from Experience

League Cup: Learn from experience

JPT: Learn from experience

Transfer Budget: £25k

Wage Budget: £17k

Actual Wage: £10k

Media Pred: 18th

OK with my new Captain being Tom Naylor and money to spend to strengthen this squad I am ready to rock and roll. Yet again I have gone north of the border for my new keeper and I have high hopes. Additionally I am proud to say I am now favoured personnel for Mansfield. I really need to see progression this season to make me want to stay a little longer at the club. I need to add some quality and lets see what we can do so here we go lets rock and roll.

• 2 weeks later...

Pre Season

With alot of my big names departing in the summer or retiring I have decided to invest and attempt to build up a team that will be ready to compete in this league and maybe help us push on. However the number of new arrivals saw the new Stags being Chris Kettings GK (Livingston), Timoth Mjallaby Mid (Celtic), Dean Furman Mid (Oldham), Sean McConville AMR (Free), Daniel Jones Dl (Free), Joe Curtis Str (Man City). There were also a couple more freebies and a loan.

So looking at Preseason we had some cracking friendly results that I did not expect the squad to gel so quickly.

Fulham Reserves (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Robinson, Furman

Norwich Reserves (H) Won 3-2

Scorers: Furman, Mjallaby, Curtis

Boston Utd (A) Won 5-1

Scorers: Avci og, Binnion, Kitchen, Robinson (2)

This was with 9 men as Joe Curtis (15) and Steve Binnion (40) Both got sent off.

So then off to the season

Season 2015/2016 Mansfield

August

So as the season commences and after the strong preseason I have some high hopes for the season ahead. However as things go not the most amazing starts that we could have had but at least we managed to pick up some points.

Cheltenham (A) Lost 1-3

Scorer: Furman

Northampton (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Robinson, Curtis, Binnion

Hartlepool (A) Lost 1-2

Bury (H) Drew 3-3

Scorers: McConville, Curtis (2)

Walsall (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Robinson, McConville

So as you can see there is alot of a battle that is on our hands and the team gelling is underway but we need to keep going and keep forcing points and see us motoring in the league but after August we are 16th and 4 pts off the playoffs and 3pts off the relegation zone.

League Cup

1st Round

Sheff Wed (A) Won 1-0

Scorer: McConville

2nd Round

Wolves (H) Lost 2-3

Scorers: McConville (2)

September

So after a indifferent August we moved into September with my voice ringing through the ears of the players that this month we MUST do better however after a good battling performance against Premier League Wolves I was not as concerned as I could have been that the players did have it in them to battle away and push on.

As August was our assult on the League Cup then September was also the start of our defence of the Johnson Paint Trophy so lets see how we get on.

Newport County (H) Lost 0-2

Dagenham and Redbridge (A) Won 3-2

Scorers: Boateng, Naylor, Nientao

Grimsby (H) Lost 0-1

Bradford (A) Won 3-0

Scorers: Daniels og, Nientao, Curtis

Burton (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Neintao (3)

Johnson Paint Trophy

North 1st Round

Scunthorpe (A) Won 2-0

Scorers: Curtis, Nientao

I have to be honest but our home form is seriously something of concern after this month and is something that I need to look at in the coming months but after this month we found ourselves upto 10th and 2 pts off playoffs and 5 pts clear of the relegation zone. So at the moment I am happy we are in the top half and in touching distance of the playoffs spot.

October

So here we are the third month of the season and now is the time when people will start watching to see what you are doing. At this point I am being linked with a large number of jobs but at the moment my focus is fully on Mansfield Town and my progress and I know that I will not leave unless it is for a challenge that takes my fancy.

This is the month that we have got to push on and attempt to pick up points and also see if there is to be any further push in the JPT.

Carlisle (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Collin og, Naylor, Binnion

Brentford (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Nientao, Kitchen, Curtis

Stevenage (A) Won 2-0

Scorers: Curtis, Kitchen

Southend (H) Lost 0-3

Accrington (A) Drew 3-3

Scorers: Bouzanis og, Nientao, Curtis

Stockport (H) Won 3-2

Scorers: Nientao, Binnion, Naylor

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

North 2nd Round

Sheff Wed (A) Won 4-0

Scorers: Ogogo og, Curtis (2), McConville

Joe Curtis named Young Player of the Month

The one thing people cannot call us this month is boring. You come to see Mansfield you are going to see goals. Again though after the great month that home game to Southend did more than just slightly upset me but for the second time this season we have gone to Hillborough and come away with a win.

Howver back to the league and we find ourselves in a play off spot of 5th and 1 Point off the automatic places so now on to November and see if momentum can continue but also the start of the FA Cup campaign.

November

The month started with a shock as Gillingham released a striker of serious talent and I was quick to react to this and this saw the arrival at Field Mill of Peterborough and Hull legend Arron McLean so excitment spread through the camp at this shock arrival. However back to business with the heroics of September and October now a memory injuries are starting to build up and it becomes obvious again that this squad is not big enough but step forward a few youngsters. I know for a fact that this next few months could well be a nightmare so what I hope is that we can fight and stay in touch until I can get some players back.

Crawley (A) Lost 3-4

Scorers: McLean (2), Naylor

Bristol Rovers (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Curtis

Plymouth (H) Lost 2-4

Scorers: Furman, McConville

FA Cup

1st Round

Hayes and Yeading (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Furman (2), McLean

Johnstone Paint Trophy

North Quarter Final

Rochdale (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Curtis, McLean

Mansfield Win 5-4 on Penalties

Well I did say that this month worried me and I was right to be worried about the league but our cup form has gone from strength to strength again like last season. However our League position could be alot worse as we only dropped to 10th and only 1 point off the playoffs.

Archived