Local Boy hopes to do good.

Paggioram

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 2015 / 2016 Mansfield

December

Ok so a really poor league performance in November so here we go we move into December and the heart of winter and now we need to move on and attempt to close the gap and get ourselves back on track and attempt to get the Stags into League 1. However we still have the JPT and the FA Cup.

Oxford (A) Lost 2-3

Scorers: Boateng, Furman

Wycombe (H) Won 1-0

Scorer: McConville

Fleetwood (A) Lost 1-3

Scorers: Binnion

Hereford (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Binnion, McConville

FA Cup

2nd Round

Barnsley (H) Won 1-0

Scorer: Curry

Johnstone Paint Trophy

North Semi Final

Sheff Utd (A) Lost 4-6

Scorers: McConville (2), Curtis, Nientao

So as you can see the end of the JPT dream but done in style with a brilliant game and to be fair if you are going to go out the cup that is the way to do it by a blaze of glory. Then of cause in the FA Cup we have taken out League one Barnsley by my 16 year old youngster. However in the League we are still a little off the pace and inconsistant but at the moment I am not really concerned and I will worry about it later. So in the league we are now 11th and 4 Pts off the play offs. In the FA Cup 3rd round Championship Portsmouth are coming to Field Mill.

January

With the inconsistant league form but good cup form I am pleased with how the season is going and with results going my way and everyone beating everyone we are still in touch with the teams above so I am still quite pleased with how things are going.

This is a tough month and I have invested in a new free transfer striker and the arrival of Mark Cullen from Hull and he was released I have serious high hopes for this guy and maybe he is the missing link to me maybe sneaking a play off spot.

Hartlepool (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Cullen

Northampton (A) Won 3-0

Scorers: McConville, Boateng, Cullen

Bury (A) Won 4-2

Scorers: Cullen (2), Curtis (2)

Cheltenham (H) Lost 0-2

FA Cup

3rd Round

Portsmouth (H) Won 4-0

Scorers: Boateng, Nientao (2), Cullen

4th Round

Colchester (H) Won 3-2

Scorers: Nientao (2), Cullen

Well then I am off to the 5th round of the FA Cup and who do I draw is it Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City.... No it is Newport County!

The league form is still up and down but we need to keep going as we can still make it to the play offs. We are 10th and we are still only 3 pts off the play offs so I think I can still make it to the play offs.

February

Now injuries are starting to bite and my squad is down to the bare bones and I can only see this getting worse as I continue to battle in the league and the FA Cup and all I can see in my future now is all of our hard work going to disappear down the drain as we can no longer compete and I look like not getting my stars back till April and can't afford anymore going down. We do have a FA Cup 5th Round to look forward to and that is Away to Newport who have beat me twice in the league so far this season.

Walsall (H) Won 3-2

Scorers: Cullen (3)

Newport County (A) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Binnion

Dagenham and Redbridge (H) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Cullen, Binnion

Grimsby (A) Won 4-1

Scorers: Cullen, Banger og, Curtis, McLean

Bradford (H) Drew 0-0

Burton (A) Lost 1-2

Scorers: Cullen

FA Cup

5th Round

Newport County (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Boateng, Cullen

Mark Cullen Player of the Month

Just sometimes you are pushed to your limits and that is where I am now and the team is providing so pure heroics. However a Replay in March is something we could do without however the fact the TV want to show it well come on money in the bank and we get through that we know that a Premier League club will be coming to Field Mill for Round 6 as the draw will see either Norwich or Aston Villa.

In the league we are still there. 8th and 1 point off the play offs. We will still continue to fight.

March

Well as the season progresses this is a strong month and a important month with both the League challenge and also the FA Cup challenge that is ahead. For me this month is my month to make a push for the play offs as this is the month that all my players are coming back from injury and this is how we need to make that final push.

Carlisle (H) Lost 1-3

Brentford (A) Won 5-2

Scorers: Binnion (2), Cullen (2), Kitchen

Stevenage (H) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Kitchen

Accrington (H) Drew 2-2

Scorers: St Ledger og, Cullen

Stockport (A) Lost 0-2

Crawley (H) Won 5-4

Scorers: Curtis (2), Nientao (2), Naylor

FA Cup

5th Round Replay

Newport County (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Cullen, McConville

6th Round

Norwich (H) Lost 0-1

Not the month I was really wanting but I can take some serious heart from this and even more important is taking Premier League Norwich to the distance. However as I look at this season I think we will be financially strong next season and allow us to have a run next year as I really do think that we are staying in League 2 as we are sitting in 11th and still 4 points off the playoffs.

Looking at the Norwich match they had the likes of Joshua King, Jordan Mutch, Daniel Ayala and Jon Ruddy playing against us.So then off to the final month.

April

So here we are the end of another season and first things first I have agreed another 1 year extension to my contract. However after the Norwich match I really want to challenge myself against the best the country has to offer so as it stands if I get that offer I think I will not refuse it. So to the final month of the season.

Plymouth (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Curtis (2), Naylor

Southend (A) Won 3-0

Scorers: Nientao (2), Furman

Bristol Rovers (A) Won 2-1

Scorers: Naylor, Curtis

Oxford (H) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Furman

Wycombe (A) Won 4-2

Scorers: Cullen, Rennie (2), Horlock og

Fleetwood (H) Won 3-2

Scorers: Naylor (2), Furman

Hereford (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Curtis (2), Flynn og

Tom Naylor nPower League 2 Player of the Month

Joe Curtis nPower League 2 Young Player of the Month

Joe Page nPower League 2 Manager of the Month

Ok then I never saw this Month coming as in all of my time at Mansfield I have never had a run like this one where we have been so dominant and we have finished the season in 4th so guess what guys we have a Play off Special on the way!

May - Play off Special

nPower League 2 Playoff Semi Final First Leg

vs Northampton

At Sixfields Stadium Att: 7,653

Half Time: 2-0

Full Time: 5-1

Scorers: Cullen (13), McConville (45+1, 65), Naylor (78), Furman (90+1)

Man of the Match: Sean McConville

nPower League 2 Playoff Semi Final Second Leg

vs Northampton

At Field Mill Att: 8,736

Half Time: 0-0

Full Time: 0-0

Man of the Match: Ellian Parrino (Northampton)

Aggregate Score: Mansfield Win 5-1

nPower League 2 Playoff Final

vs Hartlepool

At Wembley Stadiun Att: 51,760

Half Time: 4-0

Full Time: 5-0

Scorers: Cullen (25, 34, 36), Naylor (32), Curtis (75)

Man of the Match: Mark Cullen

Mansfield Town are Promoted to nPower League 1

Also my record still stands of not losing at Wembley. Next season will be another challenge and I need to be ready for it so lets go for it.

End of Season

League: 4th (Promoted Via Playoffs)

Played: 46 Won: 22 Drew: 8 Lost: 16 For: 97 Against: 79 GD: + 18 Pts: 74

League Table

Top Scorer: Mark Cullen (19)

FA Cup: 6th Round (Quarter Final)

League Cup: 2nd Round

JPT: North Semi Final

Fans Player of the Year: Joe Curtis

Managers Player of the Year: Joe Curtis

Special Mention: Sean McConville

League 2 Player of the Year: Joe Curtis

What can I say about this season. Simple awesome in the FA Cup and if it was not for maybe the greatest form for a League month in April that led me to 4th then it would have never happened. That one month we just came to life and along with the dominance in the Play offs and my undefeated streak at Wembley it made it remarkable. Also though only losing 1-0 to a premier league side was amazing. We were also overachievers of the season. My side is well on its way to a great side but I am starting to get the itch to want to challenge myself against the best but lets see what this season brings.

Season 2016 / 2017 Mansfield

Start of Season

Expectations:

nPower League 1: Stay Clear of Relegation

FA Cup: 3rd Round

League Cup: Learn from experience

JPT: 2nd Round

Transfer Budget: £102k

Wage Budget: £25k

Actual Wage: £26k

Media Pred: 24th

Really tough season ahead of me but again it is always this way for me at the moment so we start to attack League 1 and I will do it the same way I did League 2 little steps. So first of all this season lets look to shock a few people. However in this league are teams that remind me how tough this will be as it includes Barnsley, Ipswich, Nottingham Forest, Peterborough and Portsmouth.

So lets get started.

Pre Season

OK so walking into this preseason I decided very early on that I needed a little bit of experience in the squad so the arrival of Nick Montgomery and Justin Hoyte both on free transfers with very low wages gave me a good starting point. Three youngsters also joined the squad but for now we will keep them out of here as they are not going to be starters they are there if we need them. So onto the pre season friendlies and these did not go well.

Nottingham Forest (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: McConville

Aldershot (A) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Naylor

Arsenal Reserves (H) Drew 3-3

Scorers: Cullen, Naylor (2)

Tottenham Reserves (H) Lost 0-3

Cardiff (H) Lost 1-3

Scorer: Robinson

So onto the season.

Season 2016/2017 Mansfield

August

I have nothing to really say here as I cannot judge this level yet. Also we have the JPT and also the League Cup. I just want to pick up points and keep ourselves outside of the relegation zone.

Yeovil (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Cullen, Naylor, Nientao

Scunthorpe (A) Won 1-0

Portsmouth (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Logan og

Swindon (A) Won 3-2

Scorers: Cullen (2), McConville

Nottingham Forest (H) Won 4-2

Scorers: Rennie, Binnion, Cullen (2)

League Cup

1st Round

Sheff Wed (A) Won 1-0

2nd Round

Newcastle United (A) - Lost 1-2 (After Extra Time)

Scorer: Lozano-Calderon

Johnstone Paint Trophy

North 1st Round

Doncaster (A) Won 4-1

Scorers: Cullen, Naylor, Nientao, Rennie

Before I talk about the league I want to give credit to my heroes in the League Cup with the Extra Time loss to Newcastle United and the fact that the winner was a 35 yard stunning free kick and also the last kick of the game so I am very proud of my squad. Now back to the league I am pleased with the strong start that finds us sitting 4th and 3 points off the top. Can we keep this going I really don't know but look forward to finding out.

Season 2016/2017 Mansfield

September

After a outstanding August we have had a disaster of a september and it seems to be down to fitness. The number of players who are tired is absolutly shocking and we need to force ourselves out of this freefall that we have been in during September.

Torquay (H) Lost 0-2

Fleetwood (A) Lost 0-1

Crawley (A) Lost 2-3

Scorers: Cullen, Talbot og

Peterborough (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Cullen (2)

Ipswich (H) Lost 1-3

To only pick up 1 point out of a possible 15 is a disgrace and one of the worse runs I have ever had as a manager. We are now 14th and 4 points off the playoffs and 5 points clear of bottom 4. I am feeling really let down by my squad but here we go.

October

So then a brilliant first month but a dreadful second month so I think I will soon know what kind of season I am going to be in for depending on what happens this month. We do have the return of the 2nd Round of the JPT so lets kick on.

Preston (H) Lost 1-4

MK Dons (A) Lost 1-3

Scorer: Binnion

Barnet (H) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Jarvis, Peacock

Chesterfield (A) Drew 1-1

Gillingham (H) Won 2-1

Scorers: Cullen (2)

Doncaster (A) Lost 1-2

Johnstone Paint Trophy

North 2nd Round

Scunthorpe (H) Drew 1-1

Mansfield Won on Pens

Scorer: Peacock

What I have to say is this month has been OK. It was nothing amazing but it was good and fairly solid so compared to the previous month this has been OK. We are now sitting 18th and 10 points off the playoffs and 2 points clear of the relegation zone so we are near the bottom but it is now how we react and move on from here.

Still in the JPT so I am really happy about that as it helps with confidence and putting cash in the bank.

November

I am very much a realist so I think that unless something amazing happens I am not in the promotion hunt this season as I think I am short of strength all over the park. This month is the month of cups as the JPT happens again and also the FA Cup kicks off so here I am hoping for the same FA Cup run as I had last season as that was fantastic for the club and something that I can be really happy with and it all helps.

Tranmere (H) Drew 2-2

Scorers: McConville, Cullen

Barnsley (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Robinson, Cullen

FA Cup

1st Round

Blyth (A) Lost 0-3

Johnstones Paint Trophy

North Quarter Final

Rochdale (A) Won 2-1

Scorers: Binnion (2)

North Semi Final

Walsall (H) Won 1-0

Scorer: Withey

Unbeaten in the League well in both games. However we are still sitting in 18th and 12 points off the playoffs and now 3 points off relegation. Still in the JPT this is really becoming my cup in my eyes but I can't hide my rage at the complete disaster that was the FA Cup and the loss to Blyth.

I have decided that this season is now all about survival so lets move on.

December

Going out of the FA Cup has really hit me hard and my confidence however like I said this season is now all about survival and making sure that Mansfield stay in League 1. Part of me does wonder that if we do stay up is that going to feel like winning a FA Cup maybe for a club like Mansfield.

Leyton Orient (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Naylor, Cullen

Shrewsbury (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Naylor, Curtis

Rochdale (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Cullen (2), Naylor

A really solid month and one that has made me happy but we did have some postponments this month and yes that is going to have a affect on us but we are showing signs of life and still gives me confidence that we can stay up this season.

We are now 17th and 11 points off the playoffs but have put more daylight between me and the relegation zone as that is upto 4 points clear.

January

So as the transfer window happens the bad news happens as Dean Furman has agreed to join Torino when his contract expires at the end of the season. However we have bought in Josh Carson from Huddersfield.

So as we are now into the new year we have to keep going in the league and the Mansfield Town Trophy sorry Johnstone Paint Trophy makes a return with the Northern Final 1st leg

Yeovil (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Naylor, Cullen, Skogsrud og

Portsmouth (A) Drew 1-1

Scunthorpe (H) Lost 0-1

Swindon (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Carson, Naylor

Colchester (A) Drew 1-1

Johnstone Paint Trophy

North Final 1st Leg

Fleetwood (A) Drew 1-1

For me another very solid month in the League as we continue to show good form however so does everyone above us as it see us staying in 17th and 10 points off the playoffs but now 11 points off the relegation zone so need to continue as best I can.

In the JPT well for me that is a good scorer in the Away leg and then we can take them out in the second leg so feeling reality. In the league we will just need to continue to plug away.

February

We are getting the results and we are still moving in the right direction however I am still looking over my shoulder the whole time at the relegation places that are there just teasing me. However this is a big month we need to keep ourselves moving in the league and also we have the second leg of the North Final for the Johnston Paint Trophy.

Bristol Rovers (H) Lost 3-4

Scorers: Cullen (2), Binnion

Peterborough (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Carson, Robinson, Naylor

Fleetwood (H) Won 1-0

Ipswich (A) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Curtis

Nottingham Forest (A) Lost 1-2

Preston (A) Lost 0-3

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

North Final Second Leg

Fleetwood (H) Won 3-0

Mansfield Win 4-1 on Aggregate

Scorers: Cullen, Curtis, Naylor

A very up down month in the league but we have picked up some big points here that still sees us sitting 17th and now 14 points off the playoffs and 7 clear of the relegation zone. However we have another trip to Wembley for the final of the Johnstone's paint Trophy to work towards the second JPT trophy in three years and hope to stay unbeaten at Wembley.

March

As the season draws to a end and we are still in a relegation battle and we need a nice solid month just to put the relegation concern behind us so this is going to be a huge month for us that we need to be professional enough to get through.

Also this month it is the trip back to Wembley and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final so something to look forward to.

Torquay (A) Lost 3-4

Scorers: Hendry og, Binnion (2)

Crawley (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Kitchen (2), Binnion

MK Dons (H) 3-1

Scorers: Cullen, Naylor (2)

Barnet (A) Lost 1-2

Chesterfield (H) Lost 1-2

Gillingham (A) Lost 0-1

Doncaster (H) Lost 0-1

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final

vs Bristol Rovers

From Wembley

Attendance: 41,928

HT: 1-1

FT: 1-1

After Extra Time: 2-1

Scorers: McConville (41), Carson (108)

Man of the Match: Harri Robinson

MANSFIELD WIN JOHNSTONE'S PAINT TROPHY

Not the greatest month that I would have liked in the league but we have picked up points that does just allow us to tick over a little more and push on in the league but the losses at the end of the month are painful to stomach. However we are now up to 15th in the league and 15 points off the playoffs and 8 points clear of the drop there is only one month left to go but I am starting to think we might be safe for another season as the trap door is now open to see Gillingham and Shrewsbury relegated. However more of a shock is that Portsmouth look set to drop into League 2.

So we went back to Wembley and we have won our second JPT in three years and are still unbeaten at Wembley. I am really proud of what we have done and what we have achieved so really proud.

April

Really hoping the high of the JPT victory will allow us to have a great month to finish of this campaign and keep us in the League but we need the final bounce to finish up the season.

Tranmere (A) Lost 0-1

Barnsley (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: McConville, Curtis

Leyton Orient (H) Drew 0-0

Shrewsbury (A) Lost 0-2

Colchester (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Carson (2), Peacock

Bristol Rovers (A) Won 3-0

Scorers: Carson, Nientao, Robinson

Rochdale (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Nientao (2), Carson

Job done and another I think good season comes to a end. I am still proud of what we are doing and that is 6 years in charge and have now been offered a new 2 year deal to stay and I am but my feet are starting to itch a little.

Season 2017 / 2018 Mansfield

Start of Season

Expectations:

nPower League 1: Safe Mid Table

FA Cup: 3rd Round

League Cup: Learn from experience

JPT: Quarter Final

Transfer Budget: £0k

Wage Budget: £47k

Actual Wage: £57k

Media Pred: 18th

I am worried about this season as I need to get the finances in order again so my team is going to be weaker as a result. So this season is going to be a battle. Last season there was alot of experiment to get the team playing again but this season it needs to be all business and no playing with it. So lets see what the season brings.

• 1 month later...

Archived