Sacre bleu! It's the Ligue Une 08/09 thread! featuring much Lyon dominance

Orzelek

ohh, didn't know that, always taught his next move would be to Italy for some reason.

Let's be clear I'm not saying Eto'o is going to join because at the moment I'd rather see Benzegoal at Lyon for one more season at least, but your perception that he wouldn't join needing correcting. ;)

Clearly Ligue 1 isn't as appealing as the EPL or La Liga, but it's not completely void of any talents or appeal it just can't compete with the money through TV that the likes of the EPL has. Not even the Italian leagues can now, some say the Italian league is in decline.

Still I really can’t see Benzema leaving not even for a swap deal and some cash, it probably helps us Karim is a Madrid fan at least that might make him wait and keep to his word of staying for another year. :thup:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking on from a distance it seems perfectly set up for Benzema to have one final season in Lyon, a highly successful World Cup (in a French team that will struggle but get to the QFs at least) before becoming the next Galactico in the summer of 2010.

If he had any sense he'd join those nice people at Barcelona though.

Looking on from a distance it seems perfectly set up for Benzema to have one final season in Lyon, a highly successful World Cup (in a French team that will struggle but get to the QFs at least) before becoming the next Galactico in the summer of 2010.

If he had any sense he'd join those nice people at Barcelona though.

Will probably be the scenario, not keen on Benzema leaving for Madrid that much though not because I think he should stay at Lyon so much (although I'd like him to of course) but because of Madrid’s lack of stability. Also depends who Madrid bring in, if they bring in too many stars and big players there will be too much competition for places which isn't going to help Karim. :(

Might as-well post this here, doubt many will answer because there's only a couple of posters in here but what would people prefer? A French football thread in general? Or a seasonally Ligue One/French thread?

Might as-well post this here, doubt many will answer because there's only a couple of posters in here but what would people prefer? A French football thread in general? Or a seasonally Ligue One/French thread?

You may aswell as make it a French Thread in general. This thread is basically that with talk of the national side, Ligue 2, and what not. Most of the posts will still be about Ligue 1 anyway.

I would prefer a French thread, for me easier to find the thread if France, with Domenech doing stupid things again so I post post it.

I am -going- to do the same for Dutch football, just one thread for all (Eufa cups, domestic leagues and national team).

Today’s talk/news;

• Zoumana Camara has extended his contract till June 2012

• Nantes player Guirane N'Daw is being tracked by Monaco and ASSE; ASSE had an interest in the player last season as-well but with Blaise Matuidi possibly on his way to England ASSE have decided to come back in for N’Daw.

• PSG are interested in Lorient’s Christophe Jallet while PSG.

• Anthony Mounier looks set to leave Lyon with PSG, Lorient, Lens and Nice interested in the young Frenchman.

• Fabien Lemoine has extended his contract at Rennes, his contract now runs until June 2012.

• Again Lyon have been linked with Hleb, Bernard Lacombe has himself stated that he thinks Hleb is a ‘good player and we will see what happens.’

• Lyon our also now linked with Porto striker Lisandro Lopez. While two other names have been linked with OL those being Aly Cissokho of Porto and Mauro Camoranesi of Juventus.

Finally the most important news of all;

Karim Benzema a eu un sourire amusé, jeudi à Lyon, lorsqu'il a été sondé sur un possible départ de l'OL. «Je l'ai déjà dit vingt-cinq fois, je suis bien à Lyon, a répondu l'attaquant des Bleus à la veille de France - Turquie. Je vais couper mon téléphone, ne pas suivre les news, me reposer pour bien redémarrer la saison.» A Lyon, comprend-on. La seule hypothèse qui verrait le buteur lyonnais quitter son club formateur est la suivante « Si le président Aulas reçoit une offre et qu'il me pousse à partir, je serai obligé.» - Cé. Ro. (à Lyon)

Benzegoal. \o/

You may aswell as make it a French Thread in general. This thread is basically that with talk of the national side, Ligue 2, and what not. Most of the posts will still be about Ligue 1 anyway.
I would prefer a French thread, for me easier to find the thread if France, with Domenech doing stupid things again so I post post it.

I am -going- to do the same for Dutch football, just one thread for all (Eufa cups, domestic leagues and national team).

Thanks guys, I was thinking a French football thread would be better, should have it up and running on Friday with the announcement of the fixture list also due that day as-well. :thup:

See what Meitheisman and romjet2 have to say also. :)

French Thread for me (my favourite team Brest is playing in Ligue 2 :D) and It will encourage more people to post here I think.

Other news :

Nantes search a manager to replace Elie Baup, they are intested by Daniel Sanchez (Tours, promising manager, he is also linked to Boulogne) Robert Nouzaret (Guinea manager) and Jean-Pierre Papin.

Dorian Dervite (Tottenham) is a target of the new manager of Montpellier, René Girard.

Thanks guys, I was thinking a French football thread would be better, should have it up and running on Friday with the announcement of the fixture list also due that day as-well. :thup:

A French football thread is fine by me although we need a title that says "featuring Lyon" one way or another regardless :D

«Je l'ai déjà dit vingt-cinq fois, je suis bien à Lyon, a répondu l'attaquant des Bleus à la veille de France - Turquie. Je vais couper mon téléphone, ne pas suivre les news, me reposer pour bien redémarrer la saison.»

Translation: "I already said it 25 times, I feel good at Lyon, said Karim Benzema a day prior to France vs Turkey. I will turn my phone off, not watch the news and rest to start next season well"

I love him, he's getting as annoyed as I am by all these rumours. "I already said it 25 times" ffs :D

Okay guys, well I've pretty much finished the OP, hope you like it when I post it tomorrow. I'll wait till after the fixtures get released though.

I'll put a witty title along with the main title of "French football thread" in for the first few days Meitheisman, then I'll probably revert it back to just French football thread. :p

My best effort at the moment is;

Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi; The French Football Thread - Then something about Bordeaux being the young pretenders...

Poor I know :D, but I'm open to suggestion. Quite like yours Meitheisman. :thup:

Could always go with what Pape Diouf said about the OL virus.

How about "Saperlipopette! It's the French Football Thread - Featuring Domenech being a clown and OL claiming its crown back?"

I love the word saperlipopette, it sounds so funny :D

Here's how it's explained by some online dico

SAPERLIPOPETTE (saah-pair-lee-poh-pet) exclamation

: gadzooks! goodness me!

Update: my friend Alicia just wrote in, adding this: The correct translation of saperlipopette if you believe Tintin translations anyway... is "blistering barnacles"... Thanks to Captain Haddock!

Example:

J'ai retrouvé le plaisir de la BD grâce à ce personnage libre de dire merde et non pas saperlipopette. I rediscovered the enjoyment of the comic book, thanks to the character who was free to say "sh--" and not "gadzooks". --from Le Monde, from the article ZEP, PÈRE COMBLÉ DE TITEUF

How about "Saperlipopette! It's the French Football Thread - Featuring Domenech being a clown and OL claiming its crown back?"

I love the word saperlipopette, it sounds so funny :D

Here's how it's explained by some online dico

Saperlipopette it is for the starting word in the title. :thup:

You just can't stand having a real champion in your thread. ;)

Highly debatable to be honest!

Okay guys, well I've pretty much finished the OP, hope you like it when I post it tomorrow. I'll wait till after the fixtures get released though.

Will let you know tomorrow if I like it.

The French Football thread, featuring the downfall of Lyon?
Get the poor trolling out of your system now Stu, your banned from the new thread. ;):D

I must admit, I do like it from DiscoStu

The French Football Thread - Featuring much PSG hilarity.
although this one is also very good.

Yeh imo a general thread is better, keep all the debate in one forum.

Made in Bordeaux

Nearly 50 per cent of Bordeaux’s championship winning squad emerged from the club’s youth academy – a superb achievement in modern football.

While the stars of Bordeaux's charge to the 2008-09 crown were named Yoan Gourcuff, Souleymane Diawara, Alou Diarra, Fernando Cavenaghi and Fernando, Les Girondins also owe much of their success to their youth academy which provided no less than 11 of the 24 players to have played in Ligue 1 this season.

Nine of Laurent Blanc's League Cup Final squad were Bordeaux bred, and the contribution from the locals ranged from the ever-presents in Marc Planus, Marouane Chamakh, Mathieu Chalmé and Benoït Trémoulinas to the understudies Mathieu Valverde, Kévin Olimpa and Pierre Ducasse and even the next generation of Abdou Traoré, Henri Saivet, Gabriel Obertan and Grégory Sertic.

The last French champions to feature a higher percentage of home grown talent was David Trezeguet and Jon-Arne Riise's Monaco in the 1999-2000 campaign with 13 of 28.

Thought I'd post that random but good piece of information. Also;

One for ball and ball for one!

The French Professional Football League’s decision to use the brand new Puma Ligue 1 football for each and every game of the 2009-10 Ligue 1 season has been welcomed by new Marseille coach and France’s World Cup winning captain Didier Deschamps…

The LFP and Puma unveiled the new ball in Paris on Thursday which will see an end to individual club's choosing their own 'home' ball, a move which Deschamps believes will further improve the quality of the championship:

Better quality

"In terms of individual skill, working with a single ball is obviously a great advantage, especially for skills which require precision, like free-kicks and set-pieces," said the former Marseille captain. "By using just one ball all season, the players will get better and the quality of play will benefit."

Deschamps knows how difficult playing with a different ball every week poses after his four seasons coaching Monaco between 2001-05.

"When I was at Monaco there was a whole organisation in place to ensure we had the right balls to train with ahead of each match. Now that the problem is solved, it will save a lot of time. The players won't need to get used to the new ball, its size, its weight the way it looks... it's a huge step forward."

d3o™ technology

The ball, comprises 32 identical panels constructed from Puma's revolutionary d3o™ material for even flight, shape and shock absorption.

Former Paris Saint-Germain, Liverpool and Lyon boss Gérard Houllier also applauded the LFP's initiative:

12,000 balls

"It's brilliant news. Firstly for the equality because it's the same for everyone, ethically because no-one can blame the ball, and finally for the image: it's like a new brand. The League Cup has its own ball and I think it's great for everyone, the game, the clubs, the president, the LFP and the manufacturer."

Puma, who will also provide the official Ligue 2 football as well, will provide France's first and second division clubs with no less than 12,000 footballs per season for training and matches.

Good enough for Deschamps eh?

Probable team for France - Turkey (friendly match this saturday) :

Lloris - Sagna, Boumsong, Mexès, Abidal - Toulalan, L. Diarra - Benzema, Gourcuff, Malouda - Anelka

Mexés, Lloris, Toulalan, Benezema and Gourcuff in the same side = :thup:

Where's Ribéry though? :confused:

Fixtures have been released, I'm sure they said this afternoon;

http://www.ligue1.com/calendrier_2009_2010/Ligue_1_2009_2010_EN.pdf

Will have the new thread up and running soon. :thup:

Today’s talk;

• Mathieu Valbuena is to leave Marseille after being told he’s not part of first team plans for Deschamps.

• Milan Biševac is said he wants to leave Valenciennes FC, possibly to join up with Kombouaré at PSG.

• Yohan Cabaye is being courted by Bordeuax, however Bordeuax will not make a move for Cabaye until Fernando leaves, possibly to either Genoa or PSG.

• Nice are said to be chasing Edouard Cisse who is currently at Besiktas.

• Frédéric Antonetti has apparently held some sort of discussions with Rosenborg player Alexander Tettey.

• Jaroslav Plasil has been linked with a move to OM, Deschamps worked with Plasil while at Monaco and is said to be keen to team up with the player again.

EDIT;

New thread is up - French Football Thread

Archived