FM11: Portsmouth FC Thread: No Money, No Players.. But We're Still Fighting!

Ty

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Nugent is finally beginning to hit form, 3 goals and 2 assists in last 2 games. Hope it continues for a while. :)

Embargo just lifted and looking to bring in a striker(poacher) for 3 months to cover Utaka, also looking for a creative midfielder. Wanted to bring in Lansbury but Burnley got him in the transfer window. :(

is utaka injured? if so it make the promotion bid a lot lot harder imo

looking good for promotion again now not long to go

quick question for those in the premiership, did you keep the original coaching staff and ass manager when you got promoted? whittingham has seemed good to me so far

cheers

is utaka injured? if so it make the promotion bid a lot lot harder imo

Yep, Utaka got injured in my 7th game(I think) and is out for 3-4 months. Sucks to be honest as Nugents form is patchy at best.

Edit: Arsenal have sent me Kevin and a player called Bulot, never heard of him but looks half decent.

its difficult the loan options for a striker are pretty low, i bought in ranger for the back end hes ok but no better than what you have and isnt a goalscorer

going to write a full season review with screenies later tonight

Dont I know it, I have had 4-5 offers accepted only for the players to tell me to p**s off lol.. :(

Edit: Arsenal sent me Bulot, but he cant even play for me as he's played for 2 clubs already, how silly. :p

its difficult the loan options for a striker are pretty low, i bought in ranger for the back end hes ok but no better than what you have and isnt a goalscorer

going to write a full season review with screenies later tonight

Look forward to the update :thup:

Ranger got 1 goal for me on loan, ha!

At last, I've got to the end of my first season after being sacked previously, see my last post of a couple of days ago. It has been worthwhile because I got promoted via the playoffs, beating QPR by a goal to nil. I made only two changes to the first save. I managed to get the board to allow me to renew Flahavan's contract. I also reverted to my favourite 4-1-3-2 tactic/formation. I still lost all of the players whose contracts ran out and were on far too high wages to allow the board to renew them. Then, a week or so later the board gave me a warchest of £15,000,000 and a salary limit of £345,000 for my promise to not be relegated.

However, I find it difficult to come to terms with having to sign eleven new players for the new season. I was left with only eight at the end of the previous season. I noticed, that IRL, this last weekend that Portsmouth have manged to keep most of their players from last season. Yet this does not translate into FM '11. Strange, that. No matter, I have just played Aston Villa, at Fratton Park and won fairly convincingly by one to nil, in the first league match of the new season. I am still using the 4-1-3-2 narrow, formation and attacking through the middle. I have the smallest pitch available, 110 x 70 yards. I play shorter passing. All of my tactics and team alterations are according to TT '10 and the appendix. I use the 'TC' for my formation only adapting it to suit my players in the players instruction screen. I try to put my best players in their best positions and take note of their personal preferences in their positions screen. I take full notice of scouts and Asst man's advice. That's about it except for controlling the match with the 'shouts'. I''l keep updating until I get sacked or am approached by Liverpool or possibly Hull City or FC Dordrecht [Holland].

What tactics are you guys using? I keep ending up on a losing streak after winning a game.

For the first Portsmouth season the in game 'Tactics Creator's 4-4-2 will do a good job. I had the two wide midfielders set to attacking wingers. That was the only team tactic alteration that I made. My philosophy was rigid, strategy = control, passing = shorter, CF = default, CD =default, tackling = default, marking = zonal, crossing = default and roaming = stick to position. For me, the clues to winning are in the information given to you by your scouts and asst man. Also, by playing according to the size of your pitch, see my earlier post. For instance. A short and narrow pitch, 110 x 70yds is suited to shorter passing, pushing further up and playing through the middle or mixed. By using the 'touchline shouts', properly, you should be able to control most matches. Look through the excellent T&T '10 and it's appendix. It will take some time but it is well worth the effort. I am no FM tactics 'guru' but even I have found some little succes in this manner. I hope that this will be of some small benefit to you. Best of luck.

Season Review 2010-2011

Final league table

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/john_barnes1/pompey%202010-2011/npowerChampionshipInformation_Stages.png

We led the league from the start until 9 games to go when we slipped to 3rd (never more than 1pt below top spot) a late resurgence enabled us to snap the league from forests grasps. until the last 3 games it was us,forest and burnley clear in the top three. Middlesborough, Cardiff and Ipswich all finished like a train and if the season had been 10 more games longer the top could have looked very different.

The starting strategy was a standard 4-4-2 with the wingers set to attack and support and the two centre midfielders set to be ball winning and defensive (brown and hughes to start) this led to us not conceeding many goals with lots of protection for the centre backs and ashdown. The key turning point in the loss of form was losing lansbury in january and michael brown sustaining a 6 month injury, suddenly the midfield options especially on the wing were limited to the youngster williams and lawrence. After six of so games of settling in jay emmanuel thomas eventually provided a good an reliable outlet on the left side of midfield.

The highlight of the season was certainly the league cup run to the final, especially considering the loanees generally werent available we got battered by chelsea in the final as expected.

Transfer Overview ( http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/john_barnes1/pompey%202010-2011/PortsmouthTransfers_History.png )

Analysing the loaness in lansbury, cairney and emanuel thomas were the main stars, i didnt use kakuta and shelvey much due to the loan restrictions so im sure there better than they showed me. Tom Cairney went to man city quickly and we managed to loan him immediatley , a very promising player controls the game and offers a goal threat will be looking at signing him on a permament basis if possible in the future.

Team of the season http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/john_barnes1/pompey%202010-2011/PortsmouthHistory_BestEleven.png

I couldnt argue with the selection the best thing about the inherited squad in my opinion is that the attitude is spot on , you have a squad of experienced professional players who wont cause ruptions if not selected and are fairly adaptable to different positions.

Heres some more stats for the team

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/john_barnes1/pompey%202010-2011/PortsmouthPortsmouth_Players-1.png (Average rating for the squad)

The leagues best eleven

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/john_barnes1/pompey%202010-2011/npowerChampionshipAwards_AwardWinners.png

Championship general stats

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/john_barnes1/pompey%202010-2011/npowerChampionshipStats_PlayerStats.png

I have accepted a minimum transfer budget of 7.5 million for the new season i have already signed Leigh griffiths from dundee , Guy Gnabouyo on permamnet deals and yaya sonogo on loan all strikers that my scout suggests will do a job in the premiership. Also picked up Yven Moyo on a free from newcastle a left winger who scout says can be a premiership player i have my doubts but for a very low wage no risk attatched.

Of the original squad i have re signed richard hughes purely because he accepted 3k a week, Utaka now only has a week to run on his contract and a new one is impossible to organise. Have both my scouts scouting the world for all positions i need a new goalkeeper at least two new defenders 3 midfielders and a guaranteed 15 goal a season striker.

Good luck!

For the first Portsmouth season the in game 'Tactics Creator's 4-4-2 will do a good job. I had the two wide midfielders set to attacking wingers. That was the only team tactic alteration that I made. My philosophy was rigid, strategy = control, passing = shorter, CF = default, CD =default, tackling = default, marking = zonal, crossing = default and roaming = stick to position. For me, the clues to winning are in the information given to you by your scouts and asst man. Also, by playing according to the size of your pitch, see my earlier post. For instance. A short and narrow pitch, 110 x 70yds is suited to shorter passing, pushing further up and playing through the middle or mixed. By using the 'touchline shouts', properly, you should be able to control most matches. Look through the excellent T&T '10 and it's appendix. It will take some time but it is well worth the effort. I am no FM tactics 'guru' but even I have found some little succes in this manner. I hope that this will be of some small benefit to you. Best of luck.

Thanks for the tip.And whats T&T '10?

Lone Gooner

Geary for the much needed cover at RB.

Nonsense

I play in windowed mode, so I never have to Alt + Tab.

Perhaps you should do the same?

jbarnsie

Great season review!

Kept me entertained at lunch from work :D

So it's accepted that Vine, Magri and Williams are the best prospects at the club. But what about the group that were close to the first team this season? Pack, O'Brien, Ward, Martin, Gregory, Ciftci, Ritchie, and Kilbey? How many of those are useful? And do they all normally find other clubs if / when they are released?

Over the moon as I just managed to get Utaka to re-sign in the January window for £25k a week.......saving £38k a week. I have just got clauses from Diarra and Begovic as well (timed to pefection with an increase in transfer percentage from the board) so I have got a small amount to spend in January. Got Freddie Ljungberg joining on a free and a few other players on frees from scandanavia.

So it's accepted that Vine, Magri and Williams are the best prospects at the club. But what about the group that were close to the first team this season? Pack, O'Brien, Ward, Martin, Gregory, Ciftci, Ritchie, and Kilbey? How many of those are useful? And do they all normally find other clubs if / when they are released?

Ritchie's a first team player for me in the first season, doubt I will play him as much if I get into the Premiership though. Not sure about the others, Ty will have to give you an answer on those. :)

Edit: Just drew Liverpool in the FA Cup third round, heres hoping they play a weakened side. :thdn: Atleast it's at home. :thup:

Pack, Martin - not needed

Ward, Gregory, Kilbey, Ciftci - may be useful as back-ups when times are tough season 1, get rid though if you go up/are able to bolster squad at all (all were released by me end of season 1)

Ritchie - could have him as back-up in Prem if you want, he's still at club for me in 14/15 but has been out on loan at Championship Norwich in last 2 seasons. My advice cash in when you can. (rated decent Championship in 14/15 but hasn't played much for me since 1st season)

O'Brien - decent potential, I'm still on my demo save and he's still here, though 3rd choice and trying to loan him out. Up to you really, I didn't develop him at all so he could be better.

Yes Magri, Vine and Williams are the best three, O'Brien isn't with us as he has been released irl. Keep Ritchie as he can develop into a decent player, in the first season I would keep most of them as you will get injuries/suspensions but after that do what you like, imo I would keep Vine, Williams, Magri and Ritchie,

Finished 13/14 season in 7th, just missing out on Europe which was disappointing, but glad to see us finish in the top half. Only made 2 first-team signings over the summer (plus 3 youngsters who were recommended to me, 2 out on loan now to feeder club Derby) who were Eduardo and Felipe Melo both on frees, out went Nuge (£2m), Adam Matthews (£1.8m), loaned out Richards (£1m) and Ben Arfa (£2.7m with £4.3m future fee) as well.

First season I'm starting in the black as well (over £19m) so hope to be in a very healthy position come next May, and aiming for a push for Europe. Need to improve in cups, best Carling Cup performance was 4th round in 12/13, but I keep drawing Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Man City at the 3rd round stage, the year I got past one (Man Utd in 12/13) I got Man City next round! Had my best FA Cup run last year (Quarters) but was thrashed 3-0 by Everton.

Just got Nugent down to £17k a week, happy with that. :) Will be looking at getting Utaka's wages down next, he's already agreed to a wage reduction through the private chat whatsyacallit but his dumbass agent won;t let me negotiate with him. Grrr! :thdn:

After 10 games in the Championship on 17 points. In 6th 6 points off Blackpool who are top. Lost 3 times but have beat Milwall away (who were at the time top) and (any Portsmouth fans will be happy) I beat Southampton 3-0 at St Mary's Stadium. Owen scored twice and should have had a hatrick but missed a penalty in the dieing stages.

Star Player(s): Charlie Adam, Scott Sutter, Dean Shiels, Scott Loach and Bernand Parker

so far in pre season got kevin on loan from arsenal for season (looks a real player) , speroni from crystal palace (300k release fee decent stats much better than ashdown anyway for that price a good buy i hope) and munitis on a free (hard working winger)

also have de la pena on trial

Niflore :cool:

Epic Championship player. Could get him for free on FM10, and free at the end of the first season on FM11!

But the question is, will he be any good for a Premier league side!? C'mon Ty gimme an answer. :p

Edit: Ryan Williams just got MotM award for the game against Reading, 1 goal and 1 assist for Nugent, lovely stuff!

But the question is, will he be any good for a Premier league side!? C'mon Ty gimme an answer. :p

Edit: Ryan Williams just got MotM award for the game against Reading, 1 goal and 1 assist for Nugent, lovely stuff!

You can get better imho, I wouldn't personally.

Check out Danny Koevermans, his contract will be running out in 6 months on your game. He may do the job in the Premiership a bit better.

You can get better imho, I wouldn't personally.

Check out Danny Koevermans, his contract will be running out in 6 months on your game. He may do the job in the Premiership a bit better.

His agent is telling me to p**s off in a 'polite' way at the moment, will add him to my shortlist and see what happens. :)

How do you feel about Kelvin Etuhu? His contract is up in 6 months and im thinking about trying to get him.

Archived