FM11: Portsmouth FC Thread: No Money, No Players.. But We're Still Fighting!

Ty

Doing well so far in the Premiership, 4 wins 5 draws and 6 losses sees us sitting 11th. Team looking like this now:

GK: Alex Smithies (£800k)

RB: Nathanial Clyne (£900k)

CB: Ashley Williams (£1.7m)

CB: Aaron Mokoena

LB: Adam Matthews (£1.4m)

RM: Liam Lawrence

CM: Borja Valero (£1.4m)

CM: Jamie O'Hara (£1.5m)

LM: Charlie Adam (free)

ST: Connor Wickham (loan)

ST: John Utaka

Not really sold anyone from the original first-team squad, only Webber being released (the likes of Brown, Hreidarsson still here, in fact they've become staff and I've tied them down to player-coach roles!), only Hughes/Ritchie forced out to the reserves. Thanks to the lovely Premiership money we should break back even at the end of December, not planning (or have the funds) to sign anyone in January so we should be in a healthy state with a solid squad by the end of the season.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who did you sign?

I will now bring up a screenshot of the squad.

Did you get a Tycoon takeover or something?

When I got promoted I had like £8m to spend to avoid relegation which I didnt

I got a guy that I swear that was on FM10 as well, he isn't a Tycoon I don't think.

His name is Luciano Gaucci, Wikipedia him :thup:

Here is my squad, nothing left of the original really :(

Too much spending, I will start again on the 11.1 patch soon. As I started on the 11.0 patch and patched the save.

squada.png

Yeah, I hate it when I get carried away.. I have no intention of playing it anymore :(

awwwwww ha. I know what you mean though. I would have done the same most likely in that situation, but then it wouldnt have felt like a true Pompey save then.

Love it, got a young regen through the youth academy called Cliff Hardy, atm ranked half a star but potential to be a 4 star player (leading Prem striker), had Man City try to nick him off me but thankfully he signed a pro contract with us instead. Gave him his 1st Premiership start against Sunderland, scored the first goal and then the 90th minute winner in a 5-4 thriller :cool:

2010/11 Mid-Season Report

Leaguetabletophalf.jpgCurrently very happy with our position as we had a slow start to the season, picking up only 2 wins in our first 10 games. However we have won 10 of the last 14 games.

John Utaka has been a beast so far, playing up front as poacher and has been involved in 60% of our goals scoring 18 and setting up another 9. Henry Lansbury has been a revelation on the left wing scoring 6 and setting up 4 playing as an inside forward.

Really enjoying the challenge of this save so far :thup: hoping to get promotion regardless of whether its as champions or through the play-off's. But won't rip the team apart when we get promoted, unlike some ;)

Some good signings Ty, but you definitely did get carried away with a bit of money :p

Sorry, as I have said... I have already started a new save!

Love it, got a young regen through the youth academy called Cliff Hardy, atm ranked half a star but potential to be a 4 star player (leading Prem striker), had Man City try to nick him off me but thankfully he signed a pro contract with us instead. Gave him his 1st Premiership start against Sunderland, scored the first goal and then the 90th minute winner in a 5-4 thriller

I love getting regens through the accademy, it is very rare with Portsmouth though, well done!

Yeah I mean, who'd do that ;) Must be a secret Saint.

Sorry Ty, here's the safety wink ;)

Yeah I didn't even see the second part until I quoted it!

Get out of my thread! :p

I didnt get promotion in the end, I finished 5th but lost the play off semi final agaisnt middlesborough (they did win the play offs). Utaka got top goalscorer with 35 goals (30 in the league). Eiður Guðjohnsen is joining me on a free as well as Gianni Zuiverloon. Gonna get rid of Kitson (just didnt do anything for me :() and Webber and Ben Haim (to free up wages)

start of dec havent been able to play much as id like

4 points clear had a 3 match loss streak when i first bought the loanees in , settled down again now tom cairney is a superb central midfielder if you can get him on loan from man city (they bought him from hull) very very impressive will try and sign him again when/if i go up

I didnt get promotion in the end, I finished 5th but lost the play off semi final agaisnt middlesborough (they did win the play offs). Utaka got top goalscorer with 35 goals (30 in the league). Eiður Guðjohnsen is joining me on a free as well as Gianni Zuiverloon. Gonna get rid of Kitson (just didnt do anything for me :() and Webber and Ben Haim (to free up wages)

Agreed on the Kitson part. Not doing anything for me as well.

Luckily Nugent withdrew his transfer request but Kanu is having problems playing with Nugent.

Eventually won the Championship in my second season with 2 games to go, I'm on 98 points so a single point from my last 2 games and I'm a better manager than TJC. Michael Owen is also joint top scorer with 23 along with Mauro Boselli and Michael Chopra, so he's now going to be on penalties and direct freekicks to try and win that out right for him.

Nearly ****ed it all up in January when I decided that my real like massive dislike for Cardiff had become an ingame massive dislike for Cardiff, I saw Bothroyds contract was up in the summer so I thought I would buy him to **** their chances of getting promoted. Didn't anticipate it costing me £2 million and I didn't anticipate him being totally ****, literally never seen any striker smash so many 1v1s against the crossbar.

Oh and as for my real life massive dislike of Cardiff becoming an ingame massive dislike, when I played them away I was 6-0 down after 35 minutes and Bothroyd missed about 5 clear cut chances.

Moral of the story; don't try and be a **** in a game.

Kanu only scored lobs for me, and Nugent ended with 14 goals I think.

Utaka was the beast and Kitson was non-existent all season, plagued with injuries!

I have been struggling with Nugent up front as a lone striker. Tried all different roles.

Kitson has come back from injury and has picked up 3 goals in 4 matches as a defensive forward. I am hoping to get a decent AMR to replace Utaka so I can try him up front.

Kanu only scored lobs for me, and Nugent ended with 14 goals I think.

Utaka was the beast and Kitson was non-existent all season, plagued with injuries!

How did you get Utaka to re-sign as I've been trying all season and he has no intention of re-signing. Liverpool just made an offer of £1m for him and I really don't wanna lose him on a free transfer.

Also when do we usually get a takeover?

Result of the season so far:

FACup5thRound-Pompey3-0Chelsea.jpg

Even with Chelsea resting their main players, there were still 9 full internationals playing. We also got 450k in TV money from the match and 580k gate receipts, so just over £1m. We are away again in the sixth round, to Everton altough promotion is first preference over an FA Cup run.

So, I got bored of my Arsenal save after winning everything in the first 2 seasons, twice.. Therefore I have decided to try a Portsmouth save after seeing the OP, which is very good Ty :thup:.

It seems as though it is possible to get players on free, so who would the Pompey faithful recommend to get?

//Mali~

How did you get Utaka to re-sign as I've been trying all season and he has no intention of re-signing. Liverpool just made an offer of £1m for him and I really don't wanna lose him on a free transfer.

Also when do we usually get a takeover?

My takeover was end of Decemeber 2010/early January 2011.

--

He wanted to move to a bigger club, and I used the interaction (great feature) to get him to stay and sign a new contract £35k cheaper a week.

So, I got bored of my Arsenal save after winning everything in the first 2 seasons, twice.. Therefore I have decided to try a Portsmouth save after seeing the OP, which is very good Ty :thup:.

It seems as though it is possible to get players on free, so who would the Pompey faithful recommend to get?

//Mali~

Good to see a familiar face from the Arsenal thread indulging into the Portsmouth way of life!

Should be great fun mate, really entertaining save.

I don't reccomend you sign anyone, as Portsmouth wasn't aloud to sign free players IRL and so too keep it realistic, keep the same squad you have until 30th September (when the embargo is lifted) and then you can sign free players (if there is any decent ones left) or get as many loans as you can! Suggestions like Kakuta, Lansbury, Shelvey, Wilson, Pacheco, Smalling etc.

have just started a pompey save (I supose it was always gonna happen, thanks to the potential it have to be a good fm11 save)

with the ME sporting a bunch of new defence bugs, it did take me a while to figure out how to limit the damage, hence my team have leaked 24 goals in 14 league games, and so am sitting a cuple of points short of the playoffs, have also had a nice run in the league cup with Mullins just neting a pair vs West Ham

one of them being one of the best i have scored so far:

Mullins :cool:

He isn't that bad to be honest on FM11, plays out of his skin at times!

the arrival of loans have given me the chanse to move him up to MC on regular basis, which surly was a good thing, since he is a far better box-to-box player, then a right back

Good training facilities? have a word with yourself. You don't own your own training facilities, you rent from king edwards school and they are terrible. I used to play football for salisbury, and our facilities were better than pompeys. Out of 20, i'd give them 5, at most.

My takeover was end of Decemeber 2010/early January 2011.

Got my takeover in early January :thup: no investment though, a man called Richard Murray.

He wanted to move to a bigger club, and I used the interaction (great feature) to get him to stay and sign a new contract £35k cheaper a week.

Got him signed now as well, through praising him. Got him down to 23k a week.

Mullins :cool:

He isn't that bad to be honest on FM11, plays out of his skin at times!

How do you guys play Mullins? I play a 4-2-4 and have him and Brown as the 2 centre midfielders with Mullins being CM-auto and Brown box to box. Seems to work well as Mullins has 4 goals and 4 assists

How do you guys play Mullins? I play a 4-2-4 and have him and Brown as the 2 centre midfielders with Mullins being CM-auto and Brown box to box. Seems to work well as Mullins has 4 goals and 4 assists

slightly modified box to box

currently im playing my team like this (most roles have slight tweaks tho):

GK (defend): Ashdown

DR (support): Gavin Hoyte

DL (support): Dickinson

DC (limited defender): Jordan Spence

DC (limited defender): Rocha

DMC (anchor man): Mokoena

MC (box-to-box): Mullins

MC (box-to-box): Brown

AMR (inside forward): Lawrence

AML (inside forward): Utaka

FW (complete forward): Kitson

slightly modified box to box

currently im playing my team like this (most roles have slight tweaks tho):

GK (defend): Ashdown

DR (support): Gavin Hoyte

DL (support): Dickinson

DC (limited defender): Jordan Spence

DC (limited defender): Rocha

DMC (anchor man): Mokoena

MC (box-to-box): Mullins

MC (box-to-box): Brown

AMR (inside forward): Lawrence

AML (inside forward): Utaka

FW (complete forward): Kitson

My team and formation is completly different from that, as I play a 4-2-4 and Utaka up front as poacher. Cheers anyway :thup:

Just secured a play-off position with a 3-1 win over Hull.

top6.jpg

Will be very disappointed if we don't go up automatically altough it looks as though Leicester will push us all the way for top spot and we play them at Fratton Park in our second last game which could be the title clinching game.

Just beat Man Utd 2-1 in the Carling Cup (12/13 season), goals from Ryan Williams and Sam Magri :cool:

Ended the 11/12 season 11th, much above expectations (adjusted them to 'avoid relegation' in January to bring in Naughton and Wood), spent £9.75m in the off-season though £9.5m was getting Connor Wickham on a permanent deal from Man City! Two great frees though, Salomon Kalou and Hatem Ben Arfa, only found out about them when their agents were offering them around a week into July! Signed a regen ST from Doncaster my scouts recommended, he's slightly better than Cliff Hardy now and had similar/if not better potential, so both will get playing time. Glad I didn't spend much as I got the board to agree to increase the stadium capacity (to 25,100, ready to watch us lose 3-2 to Blackburn...) and improve youth facilities.

Magri's in the first team squad this season, with Williams, Vine, Hardy (regen) and Johnson (the new regen ST) in the reserves but they make up the bench/start games frequently (as I only have a 21 man first team squad), for example started both Hardy and Johnson against both Bristol City (won 4-1, Hardy scored) and Forest (drew 2-2) mainly due to other strikers being tired/injured.

Now starting my second save, this time on the 11.1 patch!

Hopefully no crazy spending this time, will contain myself lads! :D

You just started it? Good luck with it!

Was your takeover in your first save a tycoon or what? Don't want too much of a budget as I've seen what some people have done with a bit of money to spend ;)

I have a question fou you pompey managers out there. I wanted to release Utaka from his contract which he agreed to as i was hoping to free up 60k from the wage bill and get 2 or 3 free transfares in to get more depth to the squad. However the board blocked it which i think was unfair since hes a average player at best on huge wages. (I tried to sell him on a free no intrest in him)

So my question would it be lame to free transfare him in the editor or add my self as another club and buy him (for free) in order to do sometihng i feel would benfit the club in the long term and sometihng i feel the board should have allowed.

Archived