FM database used by real-life managers?

I immensley dislike this kind of suggestion that "real life" managers/coaches/scouts do this, (just because it happened on Sky 1's Dream Team), and it comes up a few times every bloody year. icon_frown.gif

My argument is always the same; if managers/scouts are using Football Manager to check players out, then they aren't doing their job properly and shouldn't be getting paid so much.

One of the previous Polish national side managers used the then CM as a quick way of testing different line-ups before the actual game. A number of sports journalists I know use the game to look up exotic or unknown players bought by Polish clubs.

• SI Staff

tomtuck01 - so you're saying that managers/scouts who use tools to help them get the best for their team aren't doing their job properly?

That's a bit like suggesting that a chef shouldn't be able to use a spoon unless he's made said spoon himself....

Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

That's a bit like suggesting that a chef shouldn't be able to use a spoon unless he's made said spoon himself....

Is that not one of the prerequisites for obtaining a Michelin star?

Originally posted by tomtuck01:

I immensley dislike this kind of suggestion that "real life" managers/coaches/scouts do this, (just because it happened on Sky 1's Dream Team), and it comes up a few times every bloody year. icon_frown.gif

My argument is always the same; if managers/scouts are using Football Manager to check players out, then they aren't doing their job properly and shouldn't be getting paid so much.

arent there websites that exist anyway, like with a database of players on positions, strong points etc. oonlythey will have been put on the sites by agents, and be biased. football manager is a failry accurate unbiased databased on players, they would be foolish no to use it.

My local favourites AIK (Sweden) signed defensive midfielder/playmaker Jorge Ortiz from San Lorenzo (Argentina) and as an FM08 user I was obviously pleased, since we had gotten a young player with good ca and pa. It was funny because I had been managing AIK on FM08 and he was a player I was really interested in signing on the game, and there goes the team and signs him IRL.

Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

tomtuck01 - so you're saying that managers/scouts who use tools to help them get the best for their team aren't doing their job properly?

Yes, bascically.

How can you make judgement of a potential transfer target from a computer game? Fair enough the game can be relatuvely accurate when analysing physical/technical attirbutes of players, but not the mantal side of a player.

Real scouting is needed to assatane an accurate assesment of that.

How can you make judgement of a potential transfer target from a computer game? Fair enough the game can be relatuvely accurate when analysing physical/technical attirbutes of players, but not the mantal side of a player.

Real scouting is needed to assatane an accurate assesment of that.

I think you're taking it a bit too far.

People seem to be saying that scouts etc might have a look at FM to get a few ideas but I don't think anyone is suggesting that they purchase players on the basis of FM. Perhaps they notice a player on FM who looks quite good and then they make extra effort to check him out in the flesh.

the concept that they would blindly buy a player on the recommendation of a coputer game is absurd and I don't think anyone here has said that is the case.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Yes, bascically.

Real scouting is needed to assatane an accurate assesment of that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the point being made is not that real-life managers use FM exclusively, but that they could use it to suss out potential targets to send their real life scouts after.

I was at a talk a few years ago held by one of the guys behind the Championship Manager series, who told us that certainly it's used by lower-league teams to check up on opposition sometimes, and I don't see any reason why people shouldn't use it for preliminary scouting as well.

Originally posted by Skunner:

Wouldn't it suck if you sent out your scout to a strange foreign country looking for a certain player just to realize that you're like 20 years into your game and he's a regen? icon_biggrin.gif

I'd love to think of Gilles Grimandi jetting off to Buenos Aires to take a look at Jeff Riquelme and Mike Messi

Guest baggie_chris

Sven did it last year with Man City.

When he was hired he didn't have enough time to scout all the players he brought in surely! But then if you look at their stats on FM, they were all really good!

Okay this may sound stupid, but please try and stay with me.

FM is essentially a tactics game. You play no actual role in training/coaching the players other than telling your coach what to train the player in. Your main job (other than buying/selling, keeping the finances going) is getting the tactics right and winning your games. Now to my point (hopefully). I (like most people who play FM) love the beautiful game and watch it religiously. No matter what game is on the telly, whether it be United v Arsenal or Grimsby v Accrington Stanley, it beats watching Corrie or any other tripe that floods my telly on a daily basis. I go to watch my favourite team both home and away. I also like to think I have a reasonable sound knowladge of the game i.e I can spot a players who have a good first touch or posses a bit of pace, a player who is weak in the air but has a lethal finish. I also like to think I can spot pros and cons of players i.e when a player thinks he is too good for the team or is arrogant maybe when a player looks like he is easily wound up etc... My actual footballing skill however is minimal. I play to a Sunday league standard at best and my fitness is lacking considerably.

Now I have a friend, who studied for a degree in Football Science at the John Moores University in Liverpool. Having graduated from Uni, he now possess all of the FA coaching badges, all of the UEFA coaching badges (A&B) and is hoping to one day obtain his FIFA pro licence. He is as qualified as Glenn Roader, Avram Grant (just as he took over at Chelsea), John Sheridan (manager of Oldham Athletic) and many other actual managers. He has coached in the USA, Bharain and is currently employed by the Mancheser FA having previously worked for the Lancashire FA. Now when we sit together at my beloved Oldham we both see the same things (brilliance or mistakes) yet he is the qualified coach. So if I could take over a BSN/S club as manager, bing my friend in as coaching staff (he could find some fellow colleagues to help). He would coach the players and with discussion I would decide the formation, tactics and line-up. I'm pretty sure Sir Alex Fergurson gets his boots on and drills players, he wasn't even that good a player and Arsene Wenger was (by his own admission) a terrible player. I for one am not going to give up the dream and yes I will use FM to help devise my tactics and find my new star striker.

Hope I didn't bore you all to much... But I'm at work and very very bored.

Originally posted by baggie_chris:

Sven did it last year with Man City.

When he was hired he didn't have enough time to scout all the players he brought in surely! But then if you look at their stats on FM, they were all really good!

I'm sure he didn't.

Archived