Football Manager Wiki

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=ClubName

That sort of thing.

For the Category 'Club Guides' have links to that page, with individual ones (e.g. Arsenal FM09) in a seperate sub category in 'Club Guides called FM09 Club Guides.

Thoughts?

Personally, I'd leave out the were you looking for section and just add a "FM08 article here" or something similar at the top of the page, or even keep advice for all games together to keep things consistent. But I'm not doing much on the clubs so I'm not bothered really.

I would help with the features Alan, but it is that bloody website which the blogs are put on, that puts me off doing it.

They give the article a tenth of the screen and fill the rest with clicky articles :mad:

Copy the text from a blog into word and then read it would be an idea.

Does the (FM09) next to club guides look okay? I've only done a few, incase it doesn't look alright.

To be honest, I don't like it but there's no way to get around it if we were to have a separate page for each version. I think that we should have all info related to the club on one page. Then maybe, if the general feeling was that there was too much text on one page then maybe just link to the page with FM0-whatever specific info at the top of the page.

Oh, and you've added an (FM09) tag to some pages that have no FM09 info whatsoever, and there's no need doing that. If we were to decide that we'd put 09 at the end of 09 pages, we'd need to make sure that there was some 09-specific info on the page first.

Looks good Alan :thup: Sorry i haven't been able to do my section of the FM10 announcements, which IIRC is the forum stuff, but i've got a mamouth amount of coursework atm :(

That's okay Tom. But if you're not going to do anything on the FM10 section, please just drop out of it. It's much less irritating saying you'll do nothing than keep making promises that you won't end up acting on. It's much easier for me that way :)

I don't like it either, but what other option is there? I'm sorry, but having guides for more than one game on one page will mean things are going to get lost, people will get confused as to what is for what and it generally won't be easy to use.

I only added tags to pages that were in the Club Guides category, all of which should be for FM2009 seeing as that's the only game we've been around for. I automatically assumed that, as all of them were taken from these forums, they would all have FM09 info on them. Care to link me to the ones that don't? They can be deleted, no point having a page with no FM info.

I'll come up with a mock-up of what I was thinking of in a min.

Athletic Bilbao is one that I remember.

I'm sorry

No. You're supposed to argue with me here, otherwise we'll never get anywhere :p

This is an open invitation to argue with me if you don't agree with my ideas. I much prefer it that way.

Alan -

On the about page, how would I made Template:shortbanner have all the text in the middle? I tried <center></center> but it didn't work...

Thought that, as that is one of the most visited page, it should be a bit more organised than it was.

Also, how do you seperate the templates?

:thup:

That's okay Tom. But if you're not going to do anything on the FM10 section, please just drop out of it. It's much less irritating saying you'll do nothing than keep making promises that you won't end up acting on. It's much easier for me that way :)

In that case, i'll drop out due to lack of time to help.

That's grand Tom. At least I know what we don't have covered yet now :thup:

Podcast - Rob

Daily Mirror Blogs - Me

Youtube vids - Jammy

This forum - ________

Is this arrangement still okay or does anyone else have to drop out?

Bilbao is deleted - can be restored but no point having a page with no FM info, it's just wasting space and doesn't have anything specifically to do with any FM.

The stubs page has most of the other pages with no FM info.

Aah, I see what you were trying to do with the shortbanner now. I have centred it for you.

What do you mean by separating templates though?

Have a look at the About page, there are four templates used. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th are all inside the first one, 3rd and 4th inside the second (etc). Not sure how to split them?

Fwiw, I don't know who it was that removed JSalter - I copied the exact same list as before.

Oh - how can you make them without?

I take it you don't understand the purpose of templates at all then? :p

Templates are used to automatically input the same few lines text (or text boxes, logos, almost anything that can be used with wiki software) onto pages that you want them to appear on. It just a lazy man's way of doing things - instead of typing out the same big long code on 20 different pages, you will just have to type a small code into those pages. The reason we started using templates with text boxes is because they take up a lot of code and makes the edit page look a bit confusing. That doesn't mean you have to use templates, I don't even use them all the time.

To answer your question, all you have to do is dump all the text in the template page onto the page you were using the template on.

To make the text boxes easier for you, I made a few text box templates a while back - greenbox, bluebox and text box.

Greenbox is like the green boxes on the main page, bluebox is like the blue boxes on the main page and textbox is like the boxes used in disclaimers.

What you need to do when using the greenbox template for example is type:

{{greenbox
|text=Whatever you want to type in here
}}

If you want to make your own template to use on different pages, but maybe you want a word or two to be different on a few pages (take the start of a player profile as an example), you need to do this:

{{{name}}} is a {{{nationality}}} {{{position}}}. He currently plays for {{{club}}} in the {{{league}}}. He also plays 
for the {{{nation}}} national team.

Then when you want to implement this template onto a certain page, you'd type:

{{name of template
|name=
|nationality=
|position=
|club=
|league=
|nation=
}}

Theoretically we could use that for player profiles, but we'd end up typing more text than usual so it'd be completely pointless.

Can't believe it took me this long to reply to such a small question :D

Just checked the fm wiki and couldn't find any on formations. Is there anything?

Not really, there's bits and pieces in the club guides but no real guides on formations. The tactics page has a bit of info but not all that much. I think it's fair to say that we've no real tactical experts here. I could try some myself, but it's likely I'd be talking complete and utter crap :p

That's tactics an LLM pages we've had requests for the last few days. I'll stick a to-do list up at the top of the current events page and see if that gets us anywhere. I'll also have a look through FM-Britain for tactics guides as we're allowed to use their stuff and they're a great site for tactics. That's about all I can do though.

Ah, I think I understand now. Club guides don't have much consistency though so it's hard to tell when a change in layout.

BTW I'm serious about the prize. If someone can come up with a really impressive new layout for club pages, I will have one of the prizes we get in sent to you :thup:

Guys, I'm changing the sub heading on all player profiles to 'Football Manager 2009 Information'. Would anyone be able to give me a hand doing this? If yes, starting from the bottom would be great (y) as I'm going from A.

Also, if someone can help, can you make sure there are two ='s? It makes it so the sub heading isnt the same size as the title.

As of about half 10 tonight (10th) I have been made a mod on the site so if there are anything that anyone would like changing on the site let me know. [Only changes likely to improve the site will be considered]

Edit - All of the player profiles now have ==Football Manager 2009 Information== sorted ready for FM10.

Archived