League 2 Thread 2008/2009

merry_miller

Originally posted by Gricehead:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bill b:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Villa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bill b:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bury 40/1

That has to be worth a punt as we definately have a chance of going up this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you being serious? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, in Wayne Brown we have possibly one of the best keepers in the division. If we sign Sodje then we have two good centre backs and the partnership of Futcher and Sodje was very solid last season. Buchanan was a revelation at left back and Haslam is solid at right back.

We are looking at getting Elliot Bennett back from Wolves and he looked very good last year on the right. Scott and Barry-Murphy are very good together in centre mid. We are losing Adams so it will be interesting to see who replaces him. We've also been linked with Dawson from Mansfield.

Up front, we have Andy Bishop who is settled and doesn't seem to want to move clubs. He guarentees 20 goals a season. Glyn Hurst chips in with a number of goals and is a perfect partner for Bishop. We've been linked with Shaw of Halifax and we have Domaine Rouse coming through is a very good prospect.

We'll have a bit more money to spend on players after the tribunals for Adams and Stephens and that should allow us to bring in some decent loan players.

Also, look at our form at the end of last season. Knill guided a squad who had looked relegation certainties into a solid mid-table position. He can add to and improve that squad now so if we can carry that form into next season then we definately have a chance of play-offs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but with all due respect, Alan Knill doesn't have what it takes to get a team promoted.

He's a great guy, but his motivational skills are literally zero. As soon as things start going wrong, confidence within the team will collapse unrecoverably. Very few teams make it through the whole season without some sort of dip of confidence, and a lot of it is about how that dip is managed and recovered.

Meanwhile, Bradford at 9/1 favourite is a joke and shows just how open this division really is this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf when he took over last season we were low on confidence and he turned it round. That could be put down to him being a new manager but the same players had not played that well when the management had previously been changed.

Tbh I'd take a nice season of mid-table mediocrity this season rather than looking nervously over our shoulders at the relegation spots.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My entire season positivity is riding on whether or not Danny Hollands signs a new deal with us. Would be the most gutting i've felt about losing a player since Wade Elliot went to Burnley.

Please stay Danny icon_frown.gif

Alex Rhodes anyone ? signed him after his contract at Bradford expired - sounds promising as he's pretty pacey apparantly

Was pretty pacey. had him at brentford and we had very high hopes for him. one of, if not the, fastest players i've seen till he done his knee in. Was tearing up the walsall back 4 one day when paul mcshane icon_mad.gif went in studs up knee high on him.

Was never the same player again icon_frown.gif hope he aorks out for you as he's a nice guy who deserves to go far. As long as you guys give him time he might just get his form back

Originally posted by Mr Villa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Valiant Richie:

Vales new kits!

Same kit maker as Notts. Will be chuffed if our home kit is as nice as that. Why are you playing in black and white stripes now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure, they've gone back to the old retro Vale tops like we used to have a while back. I hate the away one icon_frown.gif

Hamshaw Wings In To Meadow Lane

Notts County Manager Ian McParland believes his squad is taking shape ahead of the new season after adding former Mansfield winger Matt Hamshaw to the ranks.

The 26-year-old has signed a two-year deal at Meadow Lane after he was release by the Stags and McParland expects the skilful midfielder to prove a valuable member of the side.

He said: "We are getting there with the squad and I have to say that I can't wait for pre-season to start on Tuesday (July 1).

"I expect Matt to be an important part of the team, and am a big fan of the way he plays the game. He's a very intelligent footballer and always wants to get on the ball.

"He's an out and out winger who likes the ball at his feet, takes on players and gets crosses in - and he can score goals himself.

"He's a great addition and with him, Jamie Forrester and Adam Nowland all now on board, we are moving in the right direction."

Hamshaw began his career as a trainee at Sheffield Wednesday, where he spent seven seasons, before signing for Stockport in August 2005.

He moved on to Mansfield a year later and was almost ever-present in their ultimately unsuccessful battle against relegation last season.

While there was also interest in his services from other clubs, the size and stature of the Magpies proved decisive and he said: "Having spoken to the management here, it was clear the club is moving in the right direction.

"There's massive potential in terms of the set-up and fan base in a major city. I want to be a part of that and help County win matches and start moving up the League."

Finally a right winger, not had one for about 3 seasons now

He is only on a one year contract and will not be on that much wage wise.

Sometimes players need a change of scenary. If he can get fit he way be okay? One of our ex lazy players has signed for Celtic - Paddy McCourt.

We are also supposed to have a good fitness program and scored lots of goals in the last few minutes of games.

Originally posted by David Ashworth:

He is only on a one year contract and will not be on that much wage wise.

Sometimes players need a change of scenary. If he can get fit he way be okay? One of our ex lazy players has signed for Celtic - Paddy McCourt.

We are also supposed to have a good fitness program and scored lots of goals in the last few minutes of games.

Can't really see him fitting in with your style of play. If he loses weight then the one year might be worth the punt

Just seen that Aaron Downes scored twice for Australia's U23s last night as they lost 4-3 to Chile. They've got another game tomorrow, then he finds out whether he's made their final squad for the Beijing Olympics.

He's in a training squad of 27 at the moment - if he makes the cut, he'll miss the first three weeks of the season and probably all of our friendlies too icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff
The clock is no longer ticking on crisis-hit Luton Town's desperate search for a new home after they were given permission to stay at Kenilworth Road for another ten years.

LTFC2020 spokesman Stephen Browne says decision removes the pressure. The news will come as welcome relief to tens of thousands of fans of the club, who had been under the impression it had to be out of the ground by 2013.

While Luton Town's prospective owners, LTFC2020, have stressed moving to a new stadium is one of their top priorities - if and when the club emerges from administration - the breathing space afforded by landowners Luton Borough Council's decision to allow them to remain at their current home is a much-needed shot in the arm for the club.

LTFC2020 spokesman Stephen Browne said: "We're guaranteed to be at Kenilworth Road until 2018, though we don't necessarily want to be there until then. It's a barrier that's been removed.

"The key thing for me is not to come across as though we've now got our feet up. "We still want to get the feasibility study done in six months, but the sword hanging over our heads has been taken away.

"It relieves the pressure from everyone around the club. We don't want supporters to get down thinking they are going to be at Kenilworth Road for another ten years.

"One of the conditions of coming out of administration was that we had to have a stadium tenure somewhere for at least ten years. It's not open for debate. "Our old lease at Kenilworth was due to run out in 2013.

"Luton Borough Council was fully aware of the situation, so for it to make the quick response it did was of major benefit to Luton still having a football club. It has done brilliantly. "The council has been so supportive, and it flies in the face of what we have heard in the past as supporters.

"For the last two years we have been told the club had to be out of Kenilworth Road by 2013, so it appears to me the council has been given a rough ride.

"If it hadn't been helpful, we'd have been the first to say there was a problem here."I honestly don't know what would have happened to Luton Town. I'm glad we didn't have to face the possibility of not having to find somewhere else to play our football.

"If we hadn't been able to find a ground, we would never have been able to get the 'golden share' back which allows us to play in the Football League. "Looking for another home ground would have been a huge issue and a massive problem for us to solve." The council's generosity has slightly relieved the tension surrounding the club, which has been hit by one controversy after another over the past 12 months.

For the start of the 2008/09 season in League Two, Luton Town have been deducted ten points and fined £50,000 for paying agents via a third party. In February LTFC2020 had their bid for the club conditionally accepted by administrator Brendan Guilfoyle.

That same month a consortium led by businessman Cliff Bassett applied for planning permission to build a large industrial estate, including a stadium at a green belt site adjacent to Junction 12 of the M1.

However, from the very outset, LTFC2020 has firmly maintained it will wait for the results of an independent feasibility study before committing to any development.

Hatters fans are crossing their fingers hoping their beloved club can finally bounce back to its former glories after years of misery and bad luck.

Luton Borough Council leader Hazel Simmons said: "We will always support the football club and will continue to do so until they find a new home.

"The football club is an essential part of the community

another barrier to getting out of admin out the way, well played council for once icon14.gif

Going into the final day of the early purchase discount period, season ticket sales for our 2008/09 Coca-Cola League 2 season had reached the 1,600 mark.

Supporters are clearly keen to book their seat at Sincil Bank ahead of Peter Jackson's first full campaign at the helm and it is particularly encouraging to note that 16% of the season tickets sold so far have been to supporters who didn't have a season ticket last season whilst the £58 early purchase price for child season tickets has certainly turned out to be an extremely attractive offer.

I call it the Jacko effect.

Anyone else know what kind of season ticket numbers they're selling? Are ours good or bad? I'd say they're pretty good for a club that's not doing one of those offers where they cost 5p each or something.

Barry-Murphy, Hurst, Belford and Buchanan have all signed new deals at Gigg Lane. Adams looks set to join Leicester.

We've appointed Chris Wilder as assitant to Knill and Stephen Dawson has signed from Mansfield. We are also going to be signing more players throughout the week with Efe Sodje rumoured to be joining tomorrow.

oh and season ticket prices are about a tenner cheaper than last year (though most have actually spent more on their season ticket this year as from having season tickets in the cheapest end at millmoor they've gone into the upper tier at don valley to avoid getting wet in the bad weather) gone up from £324 to £340 for the season for me with going in the upper tier rather than lower.

Another press conference called for tomorrow. Apparently been big steps towards the end of admin, with the final funding complete. Really am starting to feel optimistic about the season now.

Haven't seen any rumours about Lovell going anywhere else, so mon us getting out of admin quickly and wrapping that deal up.

Chestefield Borough Council have an open planning meeting tonight following the submission of the plans the new ground. The club have given out tickets in advance and are billing it as "The Meeting To Decide Whether The New Ground Gets The Green Light", although I think in reality it will be an opportunity for local NIMBYs to voice opposition.

By all accounts, the final decision won't be taken until October.

Former England Under-20 goalkeeper Rob Burch is expected to sign a two-year deal with Lincoln City on Tuesday.

Burch, 23, who was released by Sheffield Wednesday at the end of last season, will replace Alan Marriott who left Sincil Bank in May.

Burch's career started as a trainee at Spurs and included loan spells at Woking, Stevenage Borough and Barnet.

In the summer of 2007 Burch joined Sheffield Wednesday and played for them in the Carling Cup and Championship.

Lincoln boss Peter Jackson told the club website: "Since I let Alan Marriott go, the only keeper I wanted to bring in was Rob and I'm delighted that he's said yes.

"The amount of interest that has been generated [in him] has shown what a good keeper he is so it's another major, major signing."

The Imps are hoping to announce another "major signing" on Tuesday.

Still, Jacko can do no wrong. If he thinks he's good, he's good.

# Gerald Krasner confirms further funding supplied as well as another sum later this week.

# Krasner has received another offer for the club.

# Offer is "not as good" as Jeff Mostyn's offer and Mostyn still has exclusivity.

# If Mostyn's offer cannot go forward, Krasner will consider the new offer. He will not reveal who is behind the bid.

# Proposals for transfer of Football League share ongoing and Krasner is hopeful the proposals will be submitted by Friday night.

# Supporters Trust will support new owners, whoever they may be.

# Mostyn will not take questions today, but is set to introduce "someone" to the press in the next few minutes.

# Most of the club's contracts, including those with Sodexho and Bourne Red, have been terminated.

# Mostyn introduces new chief executive of AFC Bournemouth, Alistair Saverimutto.

# Saverimutto convinced team he is putting in place is the right one going forward as a business.

# His intent is to run the club like a business and take the club forward. He has had five years in football and 18 years in sport.

# Saverimutto has been appointed by Mostyn, with permission from Krasner. The appointment works in the same way as player contracts in that with the administrator's permission, Mostyn is able to staff the football club.

Sounds good

Originally posted by Gripper:

For this thread's inevitable Predictions Comp next season, I need to adopt a team to call my own if I am going to compete, as I do not support any of these clubs. So, suggest one for me please? (Thinking of going with the team with fewest fans in here to help even the numbers up).

Gripper, you owe it to me to follow the not-so-mighty Gills!

Boom or bust this season: either straight back up or a struggle against relegation. I think it will be the former, so long as Scally keeps a lower profile for once.

• SI Staff

not a chance of coming out of admin and getting points deduction in 2 weeks if you haven't even had a CVA tried and rejected yet. Luton had ours done 3 months ago and still not out of admin as it's so hard to prove to the FL the club is stable enough I can't see Rotheram getting it done quicker than us, not sure what agrement you have on the Don Valley stadium but you need to prove you have a secure agreement on a ground for 10 years before you get the golden share back.

Not beeen paying that much attention to Rotheram case but it seams quite poorly done in places, not having the correct info for creditors after all this time and some of the messages just seams to be very "fingers in ears" If you offer a 100% to creditors you'll get a CVA, golden share and no points off, don't give 100% and you won't get an agreement off the tax man and won't get a CVA and need to prove detailed financial projections for many seasons and prove club is viable (stadium for 10 years etc) and if Luton is anything to go by even with fully open and honest talks with FL this takes months.

Rotheram's prospective owner I sense knows he is going to start on -15 and I'm assuming must now be at the 20 player limit where you can't sign anyone, he'se signed some players and seams to keep quite on if he thinks they will start on -15 to flog a few season tickets instead of being fully open and just looks like a carbon copy of certain past Luton owners

He could of course be a resonable and fully open and honest bloke and it's just my bad experinces that makes me suspect football club owners but he doesn't seam to want fans to know the full truth

Efe Sodje has signed for Bury. Only got a couple more positions needing to be filled before the start of the season. Elliot Bennett looks like he might be joining on a season long loan to take one of the winger spots.

Just when you think things are starting to get sorted at Bournemouth something pops out of nowhere. New fella called Alan Pither claiming he was involved with Mostyns consortium and has put money into the club to pay wages. Now split from that consortium and is heading his own. Apparently he's about to broker a deal to buy the land behind two of the stands as well.

tbf to our chairman he has said from the beginning that to expect the worst with -15 and anything better is a bonus.

With regards to the ground we've got a deal sorted for that apparantly the couple of legal items we've got left to sort on it is just a formality.

Rochdale sign Keltie and Wiseman, formally of Darlington. Keltie is a centre midfielder and has signed a one year contract, with the option of an extension. Wiseman is a right back and has signed to January.

I am happy with Keltie who should be our third centre midfielder, when our first choice are unavailable.

Dale have also been linked with Josh Low, who would be a great signing.

On a less positive note, our star player David Perkins has been linked with a £150,000 move to Stockport. He is supposed to have a £150,000 minimum fee in his contract. Many fans have said that the signing of Toner and Keltie mean that the sale of Perkins is a done deal.

We are still waiting for the signing of another striker. It may be a long wait, although Lee Thorpe has resigned till January, which will provide some depth.

Luton started pre season training yesterday. One trialist, Brett Johnson, a centre back training with us. I think he played a few reserve matches on trial last season so Harford must think he is good to have him back in pre season.

Anyone know of Danny Hall? He's another defender, aged 24, and apparently on the verge of signing for us. Ex-Shrewsbury and Oldham, but he's been at Gretna most recently and they've obviously gone bust.

Still no sign of a new keeper - apparently we've got a couple of options from Premier League and Championship clubs and we're looking at a season long loan rather than actually bringing someone in properly.

In other news, Aaron Downs HASN'T made the final Australia squad for Beijing, despite his brace in the U23 friendly over the weekend. Bit disappointed for him, obviously, but it does mean he'll be back in England in time for our first friendly on the 19th.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Mr Villa:

Russel Hoult get on, if we can get 2 new full backs will have the best defence in this league by far.

So just the four rubbish midfield and two striking positions to think about then.

Originally posted by Gripper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Villa:

Russel Hoult get on, if we can get 2 new full backs will have the best defence in this league by far.

So just the four rubbish midfield and two striking positions to think about then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So bitter

Notts County are set to sign Derby County defender Jason Beardsley on a three-month loan deal.

The 18-year-old full-back has agreed terms. And the deal, which could be extended until the end of the season, should be completed early next week.

Magpies boss Ian McParland said: "Jason is an exciting young player.

"He is a big lad who we've been keen to bring in for a while, and he will provide strong competition with Adam Tann for the right-back spot."

Beardsley added: "I wasn't sure what to expect, but the set-up here is fantastic.

"The stadium is brilliant and the pitch is in great condition, so I'm looking forward to playing out there.

If the loan works out well I could be around for a little while longer

Jason Beardsley

"Having experienced reserve team football at Derby this is a 'now or never' stage for me to make the step up to first-team football.

"Notts County seems a great club to be able to do that with, and who knows ... if the loan works out well I could be around for a little while longer."

Beardsley, who signed his first professional contract with the Rams in 2007, made his debut against Blackpool in the Carling Cup last season.

Meanwhile Notts have announced a lucrative six-figure shirt sponsorship deal.

The club will have separate home and away shirt sponsors for the coming season, having agreed a home kit deal with Forward Pest Control and an away link-up with Marston's Beer Company.

Archived