Your favourites for control possession based tactics

Wondering if there are common denominator roles and duties people use in their tactics. And what instructions are your go-tos. Obviously we all have different formations. But do you live by certain rules? (Note this is control possession, so its not always attack attack attack when we have the ball).

I want to know peoples opinion on things such as can you have too many playmakers? Ignore BPD? More success with a box formation as oppose to triangles? Always play out of defence, keep it narrow and work ball into box? Things like that.

45 minutes ago, Englishhammer said:

Wondering if there are common denominator roles and duties people use in their tactics. And what instructions are your go-tos. Obviously we all have different formations. But do you live by certain rules? (Note this is control possession, so its not always attack attack attack when we have the ball).

I want to know peoples opinion on things such as can you have too many playmakers? Ignore BPD? More success with a box formation as oppose to triangles? Always play out of defence, keep it narrow and work ball into box? Things like that.

One Ball playing Defender (with individual instruction to dribble more) alongside a more traditional defender. Invariably I will have this paired with a Sweeper Keeper. In FM24 I stopped using "play out of defence" instruction (i don't like how it pulls my midfielders back and causes issues when I'm pressed by opposition). Instead I prefer to instruct my SK to pass specifically to my BPD who will bring it up by dribbling (has to be a decent dribbler obviously) with it or passing to the midfielders or fullbacks. 

I found Distribute to Centrebacks + Fullbacks is the best way, at least for me, to ask your GK to start his build-up. You are not limiting him. If the CBs are marked, he will go to the FBs. If CBs  and FBs are marked he will go long. It's the best balance of risk I could find.

1) Formation.  Having multiple lines of players tends to be easier to build possession systems than formations with fewer lines.  So 4231, 4123DM, etc rather than flat 442.  By no means impossible with 442 and the like, but can be easier with other formations.

2) Use a higher Mentality such as Positive or Attacking.  Many people will use lower mentalities with great effect however personally I prefer the higher mentalities as I find it easier to build and (imo) uses possession better when attacking.

3) In combination with that higher mentality, use plenty of support duty players with a couple of attack duty players in key areas, such as from central midfield (if using a midfield 3 including a DM) and one of the wide players, such as an IF, IW etc.  I’d shy away from giving a fullback/wingback an attack duty - use a player with the Trait to get forward often + a support duty role instead.

4) That’s basically it for a starting point.  Add in tactical instructions as you see fit once you start testing the system to help retain possession and win the ball back.  For example Shorter passing; Dribble less; higher LoE/Pressing and so on.  Don’t just add them thinking you need to - add them having actually seen there is a need.  Better to add things gradually to help achieve your aims than trying to figure out what to remove.

Edited by herne79

3 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Another constant in all my possession tactics is "hold position". Never leave tactic creation screen without adding that one. 

What?, Who?

7 hours ago, Englishhammer said:

Using PIs to instruct less talented players to pass it short goes a long way for me!

Edited by Cloud9

1 minute ago, Cloud9 said:

Using PIs to instruct less talented players to pass it short goes a long way for me!

As a general rule with Passing 10 or under I pass short, and 15 or more I pass more direct/more risky passes 

1 hour ago, Englishhammer said:

As a general rule with Passing 10 or under I pass short, and 15 or more I pass more direct/more risky passes 

Perhaps consider avoiding "take more risks?" This will do a variety of things to the player but one of them is that it will see him pass into space more often. I like using it on counter attacking systems where I want specific players to launch the counters (instead of using the TI), but if you're looking to keep possession you might find it frustrating. This + a supporting forward (who won't look to run in behind) can also help you keep the ball a bit more. 

DLP(s) is a very nice playmaker for recycling possession as well. 

Edited by Cloud9

A striker with 'hold up ball' PI, or a F9. Recently I'm trying to make a possession based 4-3-3 work with an AF/Poacher, and it's proving to be quite a challenge achieving the most balanced setup.

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

Haha sorry I meant "hold shape" team instruction :lol: Fixed it

:ackter:

I kind of agree. I don't use hold shape, but hate with my heart the "Counter" instruction. You click "Counter" and your DM or DMs suddenly think they are Erling Haaland and you have no holding midfielders any more.