80's Style European Competitions FM24

Crazy idea .. but wondered if it would be possible for an alternative file, where the UEFA Super Cup is a 3-way group between the winners of the 3x main European competitions?

I know it's not accurate, but thought it might be a cool fantasy twist on it

I did not know about this tournament: image.png.6e8224046cc008a49df6b3b5eed444ad.png

It matches up the Europa League winners with the Sudamerica winners in a one off final. Not happy about that as it spits in the face of the Cup Winners Cup. I have made it extinct and it is now in the opening post. 

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

Wonderful, thank you! :applause:

Ha! Just noticed you've included the old-skool 6 foreign player / 4 in team rule! I entirely endorse this, but that's not the way footbal is any more and it's causing too much chaos so I've edited the file for myself to take that restriction out. :onmehead:

Edited by NineCloudNine

Yeah I've debated with that one but I haven't got round to testing properly on full detail. Can I ask what sort of chaos you're getting? Teams putting out youngsters? Over time it would be nice if the AI squad management and transfer policy would shift towards a focus on European rules. However even if I change rules in every league around Europe I would wager the AI teams would just harbour players anyway, therefore defeating the purpose. Do you play using absolutely no restrictions? Do you think increasing the quota would make it more playable? I am interested in opinions. 

在 2023/12/15 在 AM7点01分, \'Appy \'Ammer说:

cannot get the coefficients page to show in the game as I had to keep the rules as fixed, and they only show in flexible rules

Do you have proof that they will show coefficients in Flexible rules?

how do I do it?

1 hour ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Can I ask what sort of chaos you're getting?

Chaos is slightly melodramatic way to put it. Teams can't play their best 11s, which undermines the competition. The game doesn't 'know' why I suddenly dropped some regulars so I was asked questions by the press and the team were grumpy. The uneven way that nationality is awarded also means some teams are inconvenienced more than others - for example in FM24 it seems that foreign players in England who were 'settled' in FM23 have now been given English nationality (De Bruyne, Salah, Van Dijk for example). With your file I can't see any major stars having been being left out so the AI managers seem to be picking their best 4/6 foreign players then filling out the team in CA order.

I created nationality restrictions for leagues in the past and the game just doesn't know how to handle it. AI managers still buy foreign players, then leave them out of league squads all year. Or AI teams ignored the squad restrictions entirely for reasons I never worked out. I assume that the manager AI must be programmed to handle restrictions because some leagues have them, but it didn't work well in La Liga or English Premier League.

I do use custom squad rules in my saves but they are for greater numbers of homegrown players rather than foreign players. That does lead to more young players getting games, though I don't tend to play saves for long enough to see a very long term (eg 10 years plus) effect. For your file have just removed the restrictions so teams use whoever they want from their squads.

Edited by NineCloudNine

2 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Yeah I've debated with that one but I haven't got round to testing properly on full detail. Can I ask what sort of chaos you're getting? Teams putting out youngsters? Over time it would be nice if the AI squad management and transfer policy would shift towards a focus on European rules. However even if I change rules in every league around Europe I would wager the AI teams would just harbour players anyway, therefore defeating the purpose. Do you play using absolutely no restrictions? Do you think increasing the quota would make it more playable? I am interested in opinions. 

I have removed the restriction myself too. I think AI would just put national youngsters from youth teams to comply with the rules, undermining the competitivity of the competition. I don't think the AI will adapt their transfer policy and squad management according to the restriction rules of the European cups.

6 hours ago, anitamui said:

Do you have proof that they will show coefficients in Flexible rules?

how do I do it?

The coefficients don't show in the game. Whenever you create a Continental db that seems to be break down, always has done. In FM23 I believed I got it working by looking at the club league reputations in the competitions tab in the Europe screen. By counting the top 16 nations that would then be used as the nations that qualified straight into the First round. I had it set to change every 5 years. I used this screen to set the sorting rules. As for having it show, I just haven't managed that. I also have added in coefficient points but I really don't know if it does anything in the background.

sort teams screen.jpg

On 20/12/2023 at 13:42, NineCloudNine said:

I created nationality restrictions for leagues in the past and the game just doesn't know how to handle it. AI managers still buy foreign players, then leave them out of league squads all year.

On 20/12/2023 at 13:54, Curtains-2720 said:

I think AI would just put national youngsters from youth teams to comply with the rules, undermining the competitivity of the competition. I don't think the AI will adapt their transfer policy and squad management according to the restriction rules of the European cups.

Thanks for the feedback guys, really much appreciated. I will change the squad rules to bring in line with the current Champions League rules. I didn't think the AI would alter how it handles squads. You've both saved me a lot of testing :thup:

I have a question, and I may just be thick and not understand, but do the league reputations change? I ran a quick simulation of a couple seasons and there were no changes in any leagues' reputation, is this a bug or am I missing something?

31 minutes ago, DBSaga said:

I have a question, and I may just be thick and not understand, but do the league reputations change? I ran a quick simulation of a couple seasons and there were no changes in any leagues' reputation, is this a bug or am I missing something?

No you're not being thick :). When I tested the file last year I did see some movement of league rep, but this year, like yourself, the leagues have not been changing. I don't know if it's a bug or the fact that I am using fixed rules means it will not work in this version. Flexible rules sends the file crazy and it all goes pear shaped. It is frustrating because in theory if you develop a nation and improve the league you ought to see movement.

15 minutos atrás, \'Appy \'Ammer disse:

No you're not being thick :). When I tested the file last year I did see some movement of league rep, but this year, like yourself, the leagues have not been changing. I don't know if it's a bug or the fact that I am using fixed rules means it will not work in this version. Flexible rules sends the file crazy and it all goes pear shaped. It is frustrating because in theory if you develop a nation and improve the league you ought to see movement.

anyways did you see the news about european super league

and how did you react on that one

54 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Slams hands on table. I'm falling out of love with the modern game. I'm getting old and grumpy :kriss:

Same here! It would be nice if UEFA can bring back the old competitions as a reply to USL, but it's unlikely of course....I'm just too romantic 😞

<3 love it, here we go again! 

I'll be working on a file to bring players back to their homegrown teams (players from outside of Europe i will put them at their first european club), i guess it could be a fun mesh to go along an old style european competitions 

11 hours ago, palmamiguel92 said:

I'll be working on a file to bring players back to their homegrown teams (players from outside of Europe i will put them at their first european club), i guess it could be a fun mesh to go along an old style european competitions 

I'd be interested to know how the AI maintains squad balance with your file after reading a couple of the comments above.

I have added a new updated 80s file to the opening post. I have amended the squad selection rules to accommodate today's squads builds. I have also added FFP to match what it is currently. I did multiple tests with FFP but not one club failed it. So I hope it works ok. As usual let me know of any issues. Thanks, enjoy, and Happy New Year!

• 2 months later...

The update seems to have broken the UEFA Cup, which has reverted to the Europa League when this file is active. Champions Cup and Cup-Winners Cup seem still to work.

I actually started an edit to this file which amended the histories. My plan was to award Champions Cup wins to the highest placed team in that year’s Champions League and UEFA Cup wins to the highest placed non-Champions. The former I think worked well as an alternative history, but the latter was a little too artificial.

Posted (edited)
On 05/03/2024 at 11:58, NineCloudNine said:

The update seems to have broken the UEFA Cup, which has reverted to the Europa League when this file is active. Champions Cup and Cup-Winners Cup seem still to work.

Hello mate, since I released that last version I've moved on to creating a newer version. It's a total rebuild so I don't know what 24.3 has done to inner workings of that file. I would have published my new one, but the last update hasn't fixed logged bugs, and  has caused some issues which I'm trying to work through, particularly with squad registrations. Once I get that sorted I'll release it. 

The good news is the file will have dynamic movement each year of countries and their seeding in all 3 competitions. Add other files I've been working on to it, and Russia and Belarus will be fully implemented into the game, playing home fixtures at home, and participating in all national competitions with world rankings working. 

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

17 minutes ago, \&#x27;Appy \&#x27;Ammer said:

Hello mate, since I released that last version I've moved on to creating a newer version. It's a total rebuild so I don't know what 24.3 has done to inner workings of that file. I would have published my new one, but the last update hasn't fixed logged bugs, and  has caused some issues which I'm trying to work through, particularly with squad registrations. Once I get that sorted I'll release it. 

The good news is the file will have dynamic movement each year of countries and their seeding in all 3 competitions. Add other files I've been working on to it, and Russia and Belarus will be fully implemented into the game, playing home fixtures at home, and participating in all national competitions with world rankings working. 

Thanks! I look forward to playing the new version when it’s ready.

:onmehead:

Just a quick update to anyone interested. I had been having trouble with not being able to confirm squad registrations for Europe, but I seem to have cracked it and after some minor testing tonight, it appears to be working. An overnight holiday save is underway so I can test further, and provided I am satisfied with what I see, I aim to release this new version over the weekend. 

11 hours ago, \&#x27;Appy \&#x27;Ammer said:

Just a quick update to anyone interested. I had been having trouble with not being able to confirm squad registrations for Europe, but I seem to have cracked it and after some minor testing tonight, it appears to be working. An overnight holiday save is underway so I can test further, and provided I am satisfied with what I see, I aim to release this new version over the weekend. 

:hammer:

On 09/03/2024 at 00:37, \&#x27;Appy \&#x27;Ammer said:

Today? ;)