80's Style European Competitions v3 now valid for the final 23.4 update

**** Version 3.15 released 10th September. Reduced the high amount of prize money awarded for more realism ****

**** Version 3.14 released 6th August. Moved UEFA Cup 3rd Round fixtures in the first season to January to avoid World Cup clash. ****

*** Version 3.13 released 31st July. Fixed fixture clash causing players to be on International duty in September. Download updated at bottom of this post. ***

** Version 3 was released on 28th March, and updated to work with 23.4 (10th May). I have now removed that download, so please use v3.14, which is the latest version. **

This is version 3 of my 80s Style European Competitions that I have released over the last few years. Here is the link to the 23.0 version. I have removed the version that worked with 23.3. There's been a bit of an overhaul from the first version, and I'd like to give a big thankyou to @irish kopite for bouncing a lot of ideas off me, and for working out things I didn't think possible. Also credit to @Carlito85 for his UEFA revival files which inspired me to hone in on the 80s competitions.

Version 3 sees me reverting back to using all 54 Nations again instead of 48 teams in version 2. However, unlike in the first version, San Marino's clubs will drift in and out of the European Cup and in the case of the European Cup Winners' Cup, San Marino's and Gibraltar's clubs fluctuate depending on if the Title Holders defend their crown. The last major change from the previous versions sees the Scottish League Cup winners qualify for the UEFA Cup providing they have not already qualified via another route. This follows the English League Cup winners that I introduced in version 2. Both these were in place during the 80s, and it wasn't until 1995 that UEFA decided to put a stop to allowing the Scottish League Cup winners entry. Raith Rovers were the last to take advantage of this rule in 1994/95 season! 

The competitions in order of importance are as follows....

European Cup: 54 team tournament. League Champions only plus the holders of the competition from the previous year. If the holders are also their nation's champions then an extra nation is invited to take part.

European Cup Winners' Cup54 team tournament again. (The first season sees 48 teams involved due to 3 nations not playing a Cup competition the year before). Domestic FA Cup winners take part. In the event that a team has done a league and cup double, then the runner-up takes their place. ** Yes, I finally got to see this work properly, after years of trying! ** Holders from the year before are invited back if not in the EC.

UEFA Cup112 team tournament, with a 2 legged final. A nation can have between 2 and 4 representatives depending on the ranking of the nation. Qualifying teams are based on league positions, and in England and Scotland, the League Cup winners qualify as they used to back in the day. (In modern times the English League Cup winner qualifies for the Europa Conference League, but not so anymore for Scotland). The holders are also invited back if not already partaking in European competition.

European Super CupThe winners of the EC play the winners of the ECWC in August.

NOTES

• All matches are played over 2 legs, with the away goals rule included. The exception to this is the finals in the EC, ECWC, and the Super Cup.
  • Liechtenstein get a representative in the ECWC, as despite no domestic league, they do have a domestic cup.
  • I've now got the 'Round Tree' to show when looking at the Stages screen.
  • Russia and Belarus are included. I'm not making a political statement here, I just prefer to see the teams competing. It's still a game after all!
  • I have a added club coefficient points for drawing and winning matches. This is based on how it was in the 80s. I cannot get the coefficients  page to show in the game as I had to keep the rules as fixed, and they only show in flexible rules. However if you look at the League Reputation page, in the Europe tab, you will see that the top 16 leagues are the countries that will be receiving byes to the first round of the EC and ECWC. This does change over time. I have tested into the next century and I can confirm that this part of the game is dynamic. I don't know if my allocation of club coefficient points effects the league rankings but it is something I will explore further in future releases.
  • The Club World Championship works in the game, but I have haven't got my head round how teams are picked. I have paid no attention to it as I use a 6 team Club World Cup file. It will work with other files as well. The winners of the EC are instructed to qualify for it.
  • The 3rd Round of the UEFA Cup plays during the 2022 World Cup. It's FIFA's fault. The calendar is bunged so I just left it be. It'll only clash that year.   FIXED in version 3.14
  • Some European leagues have European playoffs at the end of their season. These are rendered useless now as the UEFA Cup takes the league placings for the qualifiers. Belgium and Romania spring to mind. If the league splits into a Championship group the final placings in this mini league is what counts.
  • You will notice at the end of the season that the league champions have a 'C' next to them in the final league table. There's no visible information from the league table screen to say who has qualified for what. This is not a bug. It is because I did away with the Europe > Continent > Teams tab in the editor. You can find out who has qualified for what by clicking the team overview and then competition to see what they're involved in in the new season.
  • Please use the Dutch file attached along with this file if you want the Dutch FA Cup to work.
  • Place both files in the 'editor data' folder, and tick them when you start a new career game.

Dutch file 23.4 for 'Appy's 80s style European Comps (FM23).fmf

80s style European Competitions v3.15 (FM23).fmf

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
Updated v3.15 for 23.4 (10/09/23)

22 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Here's a selection of screenshots. This is how the football world should be ;). Enjoy the file.

80s file European Competitions.png

80s file EC round tree.png

80s file ECWC winners.png

80s file qualifying round rules.png

80s file golden boot.png

well good you save european football by scrapped Swiss Format

oh man i wish UEFA never make the competiton look worse

13 minutes ago, Sambamtime said:

They're just saying that you fixed European cup comps by scrapping the Swiss format, which they clearly aren't a fan of; most people aren't either lol

LOL I must have my head in the sand these days, I didn't know that rubbish system is called the Swiss format!!!

And yes @LazgoNNO2000UEFA have made a pig's ear of it.

31 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

LOL I must have my head in the sand these days, I didn't know that rubbish system is called the Swiss format!!!

And yes @LazgoNNO2000UEFA have made a pig's ear of it.

so who are the winners of European Cup,UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup

did Portuguese Teams do well in European Competitons

33 minutes ago, LazgoNNO2000 said:

so who are the winners of European Cup,UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup

did Portuguese Teams do well in European Competitons

Well the tests I have done won't give an accurate account of the Portuguese teams, purely for the reason I only have N Ireland as an active nation, and the rest of Europe on View Only using a small database. It is really only designed to make sure the competitions are running correctly. There is a heavy look of English, German, Spanish and Italian winners but that will be for the reasons I just stated so the game will go on reputation alot. I'm sure things would look different with my usual setup of full detail leagues, but that is not practical for testing my files as it takes far too long.

However, I've uploaded the test save game file for you if you want to examine who did what? The one big surprise is in 2094/95 Jihlava from the Czech Republic won the Cup WInners Cup. No Portuguese winners in any comp but Porto did finish runners up in the European Cup in 2027! 

80s test save file up to June 2101

2 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Well the tests I have done won't give an accurate account of the Portuguese teams, purely for the reason I only have N Ireland as an active nation, and the rest of Europe on View Only using a small database. It is really only designed to make sure the competitions are running correctly. There is a heavy look of English, German, Spanish and Italian winners but that will be for the reasons I just stated so the game will go on reputation alot. I'm sure things would look different with my usual setup of full detail leagues, but that is not practical for testing my files as it takes far too long.

However, I've uploaded the test save game file for you if you want to examine who did what? The one big surprise is in 2094/95 Jihlava from the Czech Republic won the Cup WInners Cup. No Portuguese winners in any comp but Porto did finish runners up in the European Cup in 2027! 

80s test save file up to June 2101

damn maybe i will do an save when i will help Portuguese Teams win some Trophies

4 minutes ago, LazgoNNO2000 said:

sadly the save could not loaded

That's a shame I don't know why not? I wonder if it will only work with all the other editor files I had in the set up of the save? Although I've shared files before and they worked on other people's machines. Sorry, I don't know what to suggest.

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

I have created a version 3 of this file, and have updated the first post to replace version 2. The main changes are I have reverted back to involving all nations in all the competitions, and have added the Scottish League Cup winners entry to the UEFA Cup as per UEFA rules during the 80s.

В 28.03.2023 в 19:26, \'Appy \'Ammer сказал:

I have created a version 3 of this file, and have updated the first post to replace version 2. The main changes are I have reverted back to involving all nations in all the competitions, and have added the Scottish League Cup winners entry to the UEFA Cup as per UEFA rules during the 80s.

doesn't work with 23.4.0... :confused:

@svangaskar Until SI release a hotfix for this bug here is the 80s file with an Icelandic database change in the background. (I kept the extinct team extinct and bumped a team up from each division until it verified!). I'll update the download at the top of the page when the official fix is released. 

80s style European Competitions v3 23.4 (FM23).fmf

Dutch file 23.4 for 'Appy's 80s style European Comps (FM23).fmf

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
Added Dutch file for Dutch FA Cup to work

15 часов назад, \'Appy \'Ammer сказал:

@svangaskar Until SI release a hotfix for this bug here is the 80s file with an Icelandic database change in the background. (I kept the extinct team extinct and bumped a team up from each division until it verified!). I'll update the download at the top of the page when the official fix is released. 

80s style European Competitions v3 23.4 (FM23).fmf 36.06 \u043a\u0411 · 1 download

Dutch file 23.4 for 'Appy's 80s style European Comps (FM23).fmf 22.17 \u043a\u0411 · 1 download

great job! thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Maviarab said:

Just to clarify, this works and plays nicely with other edits such as Daves Around the World etc etc?

Yep that's exactly how I play. I also have other files from myself and other contributors and all is good. I prefer playing with the old style club world cup, it also works with the new format as well. 

• \'Appy \'Ammer changed the title to 80's Style European Competitions v3 now valid for the final 23.4 update
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if that's because I changed how the editor picks the teams, rather than the conventional way. You could try changing the start dates of the competitions, I can't think what I've put it down as now. I seem to remember in testing I was having trouble with comps not starting with enough teams due to end of season dates. It all doesn't make sense now when trying to think back for the reasons why! I'll certainly look to adjust things for FM24, but I know what you're saying. I can't promise an adjustment for this version. 

Isn't there some weird stage flag like "don't set up competition yet" under the setup date. Wonder if you could do the earlier setup date (June 20 or July 1 or whatever the default game uses) with that box, and then maybe it won't actually call the teams until later i.e. the draw date of the first round? Have never tried it so not sure if it works

On 27/07/2023 at 21:22, codingandgamingwithadam said:

Loving this so far. My only issue is that its like the comps don't exist until the draw is done as they don't show up for board expectations or anything. How do I fix this?

I revisited my file and refreshed my memory as to why I had chosen the date that was chosen. It was because Spain and The Netherlands were always resetting a lot later than the other nations in Europe, and consequently the editor was picking the teams from the season before last for the continental qualifiers. Therefore setting the European set up dates to August guaranteed that that wouldn't happen and thus selecting the correct teams. 

I have now set the date to match the Spanish reset date (The Netherlands reset just before Spain). So the European comps now appear for board expectations from the 10th July onwards instead of the 3rd August when the draws are made. Thanks for raising this, it's nice to iron out the niggly little things over time. The file is in the first post of this thread and is version 3.1. Don't forget to combine it with the Dutch file if you want the Dutch Cup to work. As always if anyone finds that any problems please let me know.

5 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I revisited my file and refreshed my memory as to why I had chosen the date that was chosen. It was because Spain and The Netherlands were always resetting a lot later than the other nations in Europe, and consequently the editor was picking the teams from the season before last for the continental qualifiers. Therefore setting the European set up dates to August guaranteed that that wouldn't happen and thus selecting the correct teams. 

I have now set the date to match the Spanish reset date (The Netherlands reset just before Spain). So the European comps now appear for board expectations from the 10th July onwards instead of the 3rd August when the draws are made. Thanks for raising this, it's nice to iron out the niggly little things over time. The file is in the first post of this thread and is version 3.1. Don't forget to combine it with the Dutch file if you want the Dutch Cup to work. As always if anyone finds that any problems please let me know.

Thanks. I'll test this out when I next reset. I know you wouldn't do this in your version of the file obviously, but is there a way of me allowing teams to compete in both the Champions Cup and Cup Winners Cup by editing the file slightly once I've downloaded it? I would love to have a save where I can try to win like 8/9 trophies a season lol.

7 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Also just had an instance where the second leg of the first round of the European cup clashed with an international duty and wasn't rearranged when i had 26 players on international duty. Not even sure if it will let me play the game yet.

8 hours ago, codingandgamingwithadam said:

I know you wouldn't do this in your version of the file obviously, but is there a way of me allowing teams to compete in both the Champions Cup and Cup Winners Cup by editing the file slightly once I've downloaded it? I would love to have a save where I can try to win like 8/9 trophies a season lol.

Feel free to try it yourself. You'd have a major problem with fixture congestion, player fatigue, fixture scheduling, and the need to change the super cup qualification rules. My head is spinning and the thought of attempting that!

6 hours ago, codingandgamingwithadam said:

Also just had an instance where the second leg of the first round of the European cup clashed with an international duty and wasn't rearranged when i had 26 players on international duty. Not even sure if it will let me play the game yet.

I've not come across that before. I've seen matches rescheduled due to ground sharing problems but not international games. I'd need to look into that myself and check out the international calendar and any clashes. 

I just happen to be on a day off work so have had a sit down with this to study it ! !  

I see the clash is due to the Nations League? That explains why I don't see this as I play on a different database which doesn't include the Nations League. However I see where the clash is happening, due to the Internationals being played on the Tuesday of the European 2nd leg dates. I am currently running a test, and will report back. There is an option in the editor to check for International clashes, but whilst this may be the case for the ECWC, the problem you're experiencing with the EC is that the players have yet to return from International duty by a day. I could not see an option to in the editor to make the fixture be rescheduled for that reason. There is a tick box of whether the manager can select a squad, but it is ambiguous as to what it actually does. What I have opted for is to move the 2nd Leg back by a week. This means a 3 week gap between legs. I am reluctant to move the 1st leg due to possible other clashes. So, I am testing this now to see how future International dates fit in with this change. Another knock on may be domestic cup competition clashes but that should see fixture postponements of the domestic fixtures. I will wait and see the results of my test.

Ok, after testing up to 2035, there are still clashes even though I have moved the 2nd leg by a week. I'm actually better off leaving the date as it is. The International calendar just seems to move between weeks and depending on whether it is the Nations League or European or World Cup qualifiers. I'll play around with those tick boxes I mentioned above, but I can't promise anything. 

@codingandgamingwithadam Did you manage to field a team for your 2nd leg match? How did the game handle it?

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
bad spelling

1 hour ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Ok, after testing up to 2035, there are still clashes even though I have moved the 2nd leg by a week. I'm actually better off leaving the date as it is. The International calendar just seems to move between weeks and depending on whether it is the Nations League or European or World Cup qualifiers. I'll play around with those tick boxes I mentioned above, but I can't promise anything. 

@codingandgamingwithadam Did you manage to field a team for your 2nd leg match? How did the game handle it?

So even though the calendar had the players down as on international duty on the day of the EC 2nd leg due to the nations league and all the team news emails etc all said id be without the players. As soon as it got to the day and the final nations league game was over all the players returned and i had them all available somehow, so think it may just be another slight glitch due to it being a custom competition, so I think leaving it at the current date is fine.

@codingandgamingwithadam I have fixed the dates clashing. I set up alternative fixture dates, basically mimicking the European fixture dates from the original SI format. I have holidayed through to 2035, and just double checked each year. Everything is now fine. I will update the file into the first post. Thanks for pointing it out, and I hope you now have a trouble free save!

As my attentions have turned to amending this file this week, I decided that the Third Round of the UEFA Cup being played during the 2022 Qatar World Cup was annoying me. For this season only, the Third Round will be played in January. This will ensure clubs have full quota of players available. I anticipate this will be the last update to my file. For anyone using it, enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the data however there is one problem : Too much money is distributed in those competitions.

In 2022-23 , UEFA has generated 2.8 billion Euros from all of the competitions, and this doesn't fluctuate over year. After accounting for administrative costs and solidarities, UEFA distributes approximately 2.5 billion Euros of money, in which 2 billion of it going to Champions League.

However, in this Editor file UEFA suddenly gives 4.5 billion Euros and UEFA Cup is distributing equally as European Cup. This is wrong. Instead it should be 2 billion Euros overall to make the game more realistic financially.

I'd suggest that out of those 2 billion Euros, half should go to European Cup , 30% go to CWC and 20% to UEFA Cup. This means considerable adjustment to appearance money while keeping prize money same for all competitions :

European Cup : 50 million appearance money => Should be reduced to 25 million per club.

Cup Winners Cup : 30 million appearance money => Should be reduced to 15 million per club.

UEFA Cup : 25 million appearance money => Should be reduced to 5 million (due to sharing with 64 clubs instead of 32)

In this way, and maybe some reputation changes for cups, being a champion or cup champion should be much more important and overall,finances would be more realistic&closer between countries.

Hi @getzisch. Thanks for the feedback! Yes you make good points regarding the money, and I have responded here in another thread for the reasons I chose the finances I did. Whilst I have focused on what each individual club receives, I haven't really looked at UEFA's overall purse where the money is distributed from. Maybe I should have done! This is an area I would probably revise in future releases.

Thanks to @getzisch and after re-reading the post from @Lord Rowell in my 80s 23.1 version thread, I admit I agree with your points raised. I have decided to re-do the finances so that they are more in line with UEFA's current distribution of funds model. It is not exact but basically the purse is now 2.04 billion euros as opposed to the 4.5 billion euros I had originally distributed. I am running a test save and am interested to see how the winners of the competitions pan out and if there are any big differences. Once I'm happy with things I will update the file at the top of the page.

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

I have holidayed up to 2098. I'll update the link at the top of the page and people can make their own mind's up. I think it is better for realism sake. I'll share with you some of the movers and shakers in the holiday save. Bear in mind that it is a save that only had one nation as playable (N Ireland) and the rest was the top division in each league in Europe on view only. So the results will only be going on reputation rather than AI squad building and proper full detail matches. I also had other editor files in place that I use. 

The European Cup had lots of English winners, with periods of Spanish and German dominance. Newcastle, Liverpool, Man Utd, Real Madrid, and Bayern feature alot. There was quite a large variety of runners up teams which was good to see. There was more of a mixture in the ECWC, I noted that Freiburg and AFC Bournemouth were amongst the winners. The UEFA Cup was dominated mainly by English clubs. 

Delving into a few selected nations...In Italy the big surprise was that Spezia Calcio became a major force from the 2050s onwards. It all sort of began with a runner up position in the ECWC in 2049, and won it in 2055. They ruled Serie A for decades, and were runners up in the EC in 2068, 2069, 2071, 2076, 2078, 2080, 2084, and 2085. They eventually won it in 2092 and then again in 2097!

France saw PSG fall away after 2042. Nantes and Nice were quite dominant. Man Utd ruled England in the 40s and 50s, and then there were lots of Newcastle, Liverpool, and Man City wins, with a sprinkling of other teams littered about. Real Madrid ruled Spain, with Barcelona only winning the league twice during those 75 years. Athletico, Mallorca, Elche, and Huesca were the only other 5 teams to win La Liga at various times between Real winning. 

Unfortunately I couldn't really dig deep into the finances of clubs due to NI teams filling up the rich list as they were the only detailed league. But with 2.5 billion less euros being dished out in prize money each year there is bound to be a difference. This has whet the appetite for me to fire up a new save, and hopefully it might inspire others as well. Have fun if you do. 

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
Bad spelling and grammar!

• 1 month later...
On 10/09/2023 at 15:57, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I have holidayed up to 2098. I'll update the link at the top of the page and people can make their own mind's up. I think it is better for realism sake. I'll share with you some of the movers and shakers in the holiday save. Bear in mind that it is a save that only had one nation as playable (N Ireland) and the rest was the top division in each league in Europe on view only. So the results will only be going on reputation rather than AI squad building and proper full detail matches. I also had other editor files in place that I use. 

The European Cup had lots of English winners, with periods of Spanish and German dominance. Newcastle, Liverpool, Man Utd, Real Madrid, and Bayern feature alot. There was quite a large variety of runners up teams which was good to see. There was more of a mixture in the ECWC, I noted that Freiburg and AFC Bournemouth were amongst the winners. The UEFA Cup was dominated mainly by English clubs. 

Delving into a few selected nations...In Italy the big surprise was that Spezia Calcio became a major force from the 2050s onwards. It all sort of began with a runner up position in the ECWC in 2049, and won it in 2055. They ruled Serie A for decades, and were runners up in the EC in 2068, 2069, 2071, 2076, 2078, 2080, 2084, and 2085. They eventually won it in 2092 and then again in 2097!

France saw PSG fall away after 2042. Nantes and Nice were quite dominant. Man Utd ruled England in the 40s and 50s, and then there were lots of Newcastle, Liverpool, and Man City wins, with a sprinkling of other teams littered about. Real Madrid ruled Spain, with Barcelona only winning the league twice during those 75 years. Athletico, Mallorca, Elche, and Huesca were the only other 5 teams to win La Liga at various times between Real winning. 

Unfortunately I couldn't really dig deep into the finances of clubs due to NI teams filling up the rich list as they were the only detailed league. But with 2.5 billion less euros being dished out in prize money each year there is bound to be a difference. This has whet the appetite for me to fire up a new save, and hopefully it might inspire others as well. Have fun if you do. 

damn very cool