The Manchester United thread 2005/06 - Way Past It's Sell-By Date

Nick OGS20

• Replies 46.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phreaky:

Whats the progress with the stadium expansion at the minute? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just a couple of holes in the ground atm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

uncle malc has everything in hand </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to hear that you have tiny genitalia.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Emperor Palpatine:

Marlow has nowhere near my staying power when it comes to this kind of caper icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or nowhere near the amount of free time... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't underestimate my lameness.

from manutd.com (dont think its been posted)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The bitter rivalry between Arsenal and Manchester United may have been cranked up again by Park Ji-Sung’s £4million arrival at Old Trafford. The 24-year-old winger from Dutch side PSV has previous against Arsene Wenger’s Gunners. The Korean was at the centre of a Champions League storm last November as Arsenal drew 1-1 in the Phillips Stadion. Arsenal were reduced to nine men when skipper Patrick Vieira followed Lauren down the tunnel after he took out Park from behind. Vieira was so upset by his dismissal he refused to talk about it. But he will not have forgotten that night — or Park. The Korean and Ruud van Nistelrooy are the last two players involved in Vieira red cards. Vieira’s dismissal for the Park foul came 14 months after he went off in the first Battle of Old Trafford.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Anyone have any info regarding Alan Smith's future at the club and possibility of his first team chances for the coming season....? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

P*ss off Frankie, he's not going to Rangers icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phreaky:

from manutd.com (dont think its been posted)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The bitter rivalry between Arsenal and Manchester United may have been cranked up again by Park Ji-Sung’s £4million arrival at Old Trafford. The 24-year-old winger from Dutch side PSV has previous against Arsene Wenger’s Gunners. The Korean was at the centre of a Champions League storm last November as Arsenal drew 1-1 in the Phillips Stadion. Arsenal were reduced to nine men when skipper Patrick Vieira followed Lauren down the tunnel after he took out Park from behind. Vieira was so upset by his dismissal he refused to talk about it. But he will not have forgotten that night — or Park. The Korean and Ruud van Nistelrooy are the last two players involved in Vieira red cards. Vieira’s dismissal for the Park foul came 14 months after he went off in the first Battle of Old Trafford.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Anyone have any info regarding Alan Smith's future at the club and possibility of his first team chances for the coming season....? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well unless there's a radical change of tactics, or RVN gets shipped off, Stam-style, with no proper replacement, then Smiffy is likely to be back-up for the coming season.

What he lacks in ability, he makes up for in commitment, and not getting injured every c*nting week a la M Saha...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

Quinton's not going anywhere either, f*ck off with this trying to take players that arent Liam Miller or David Bellion nonsence please icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He denies all links but I'd still like to know if he would be a good buy for us?

Whats the progress with the stadium expansion at the minute? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was up there a couple of weeks ago, things looked pretty advanced already. Two giant cranes in place, the Munich memorial moved to the other side of the East Stand, and from watching SSN, it looks like the roof on each corner has been taken off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tyrone the Magazine:

Seeing as we are linked with fortune is he any good? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can **** off if you think your getting him.

Arrogantly stolen from the Geordie thread (Thanks Tyrone)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fortune on Toon talk

by Adam Marshall - created on 24 Jun 2005

Manchester United's Quinton Fortune has dismissed speculation linking him with a move to Newcastle United.

Magpies boss Graeme Souness is rumoured to be an admirer of the tenacious South Africa international, who is not a regular starter at Old Trafford.

Nevertheless, the versatile midfielder is determined to make his mark with The Red Devils and has no intention of departing this summer.

In an exclusive interview with Kick Off in his homeland, Fortune stressed his desire to continue wearing the red shirt of United.

"I have heard about this," he responded when asked about Newcastle's interest. "But it is just speculation.

"My manager has heard nothing concrete on the Newcastle issue.

"No, I never [see myself as just a squad member at United]. I see myself as a first-teamer.

"You have to see yourself that way. And a club like United need lots of players that see themselves that way, even if some of the team are not always in the first XI.

"The competition is huge over there and you give absolutely everything just to stay in the first team.

"You have to work really, really hard," he told Kick Off. "You have to be really, really patient.

"There's times you sit on the bench and ask yourself: 'What's happening to my life?' You have to realise that it is very difficult.

"You have to work really, really hard. I mean, harder than you can ever imagine working in football."

Fortune's favoured position is the centre of midfield but he is happy to play anywhere for Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Yes, I would prefer to play centre midfield," he continued. "I feel more complete there.

"I get more of the ball and can be more creative.

"But every single game I play [is a highlight]. Every time I pull on a United shirt, I have to check myself. It's me, Quinton, playing for Man United!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tyrone the Magazine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

Quinton's not going anywhere either, f*ck off with this trying to take players that arent Liam Miller or David Bellion nonsence please icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He denies all links but I'd still like to know if he would be a good buy for us? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'd be a brilliant buy for you lot. Speaking as an outsider, he seems exactly the sort of player you could do with. Versatile, committed, professional, hard as nails and a decent little footballer. Criminally under-rated by many United fans tbh, but not by Fergie. He's going nowhere methinks.

Only seem to have announced when the draw will be on the UEFA site:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The first qualifying round will be played over two legs on 12/13 and 19/20 July, with the second qualifying round following on 26/27 July and 2/3 August. The draw for the third qualifying round will be made at 12.00CET in Nyon on 29 July. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. The main reason I'm guesstimating the second leg is that midweek is because the Wigan chairman and their secretary were both interviewed on SSN yesterday about having Chelsea first and then us a couple of games later, and they both said that game would be postponed because we'd be playing the qualifier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonTheGTFCFan:

We need a better thread starter - let's tap-up Nick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

I'd probably defect for a stay on Roman's luxury yacht tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Explain mophead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

4 pages before I get on this icon_frown.gif

I need to stop drinking so much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blaine, you'll turn into D_S, although drinking in Antwerp is a must icon_cool.gif

Just in reply to mark in the "old" thread.

I don't know what SAF has seen to stop him giving D. Jones a chance. The only reason I can think of is his lack of strength. But he does need to play with stronger players in order to build up his strength. Imo even if he through a loan spell with flying colours, it will only make him more saleable to some lower league team rather than cement his place on the edge of the 1st team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I think the second leg is the 23rd/24th August, presumably making the first leg the 9th/10th (midweek before the opening day). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep you're right according to manutd.com

Doesn't seem to have been decided which are home and away though..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonTheGTFCFan:

We need a better thread starter - let's tap-up Nick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

I'd probably defect for a stay on Roman's luxury yacht tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Explain mophead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get off Carter's bandwagon icon13.gif

He denies all links but I'd still like to know if he would be a good buy for us? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'd be a brilliant buy for you lot. Speaking as an outsider, he seems exactly the sort of player you could do with. Versatile, committed, professional, hard as nails and a decent little footballer. Criminally under-rated by many United fans tbh, but not by Fergie. He's going nowhere methinks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even as a squad member at United > first team member at Toon. See Nicky Butt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

Just in reply to mark in the "old" thread.

I don't know what SAF has seen to stop him giving D. Jones a chance. The only reason I can think of is his lack of strength. But he does need to play with stronger players in order to build up his strength. Imo even if he through a loan spell with flying colours, it will only make him more saleable to some lower league team rather than cement his place on the edge of the 1st team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still don't see where you get that conclusion from. Fergie has always played young players who were good enough, and i don't think he's released anyone who's gone on to be a top player anywhere. So why do you think Jones will be any different? If he's good enough, he'll play, and if he's not, he'll leave, surely? Or is what you are trying to say that you don't think Jones is good enough?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Quinton's not going anywhere icon_mad.gif

I'm getting slightly annoyed at the lack of 'Wigan declare interest in Miller/Bellion' type rumours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They'll all waiting for us to die and get the pair for nothing icon_frown.gif

Still, at least they'll be gone icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In and outs - from the Indy

Friday, June 24, 2005

Manchester United's second signing of the Malcolm Glazer era was completed yesterday when the South Korean international Park Ji-Sung signed from PSV Eindhoven for £4m.

The 24-year-old midfielder, who proved his pedigree during PSV's run to the Champions' League semi-finals last season, marked his arrival with the announcement that he would not be just a marketing tool in United's Far East tour next month. However, his signing will push United to lighten their wage bill in midfield.

Sir Alex Ferguson will listen to offers for the Brazilian Kleberson and there is also doubt over Liam Miller's future after a disappointing debut season. The acquisition of Park, who can also play at right-back, could also reduce Kieran Richardson's chances of returning from his loan spell at West Bromwich Albion.

"I am confident I can prove myself at one of the world's top clubs," Park said. "I want to show my value to United in terms of my ability, not for a marketing strategy for Asia. I am not going to England for business."

Ferguson, who also paid around £2m for the goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar, has a big squad from which to make cuts and John O'Shea's future is also likely to come under scrutiny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Quinton Fortune has lifted the lid on some of his Manchester United team-mates and expressed his admiration for assistant manager Carlos Queiroz.

The South African feels it is like having two managers at Old Trafford such is the influence of Queiroz, who is tipped by some to become Sir Alex Ferguson's eventual successor.

Ferguson himself has helped instil some real bite into Fortune's play.

"Fergie tells us you've always got to be there if a team-mate is in trouble," the midfielder told Kick Off in his homeland.

"That's what he tells us to do.

"I have a special relationship with Carlos Queiroz. He is very good to me. But then, he is good with all the players.

"He speaks many languages, you know, besides Portuguese and English, he speaks French and Italian.

"He relates to all the players but Carlos is more of a manager than a coach.

"It is like we have two managers. We've got Mike Phelan for the coaching; Carlos is like the Gaffer."

Fortune has revealed his friendship with Old Trafford idol Wayne Rooney, even though he appreciates the former Everton striker is still in the early years of his career.

"He is one of my mates at the club," said Fortune.

"The old group used to go out together quite a lot but they are all settled with families now, so it's a bit different.

"Most of the married guys go home straight after training but I do hang around with [Cristiano] Ronaldo, Wayne, Tim Howard and also 'Kleb' [Kleberson].

"Wayne is a baby. He's still a kid. He has this reputation for swearing and all that but, honestly, off the pitch, he's just like a little baby.

"On the pitch, he is different, but that is because he is ultra-competitive like most of us.

"He is competitive in all games, even PlayStation.

"Ronnie's more into what he looks like - he's a fashion guy. But he's also a great guy to be with.

"I think Tim's a great goalkeeper. My wife also spends quite a bit of time with his wife Laura. Kleb's also a good guy.

"I hope he stays at the club because he is a very good player. He struggled a bit to acclimatise, being Brazilian he is used to great weather.

"He is family-oriented and they are used to doing a lot of things outdoors together. But he's getting used to it in England, and he is fit again after his injury, so I hope he stays."

The 28-year-old is determined to help United to glory next season after they finished behind Chelsea and Arsenal last term.

"I like being the underdog," he enthused. "But players who have been at the club longer than me were used to success and they might find it difficult.

"I think it's great for competition. It makes it more exciting for the fans, so it is good for football." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Top bloke icon14.gif

Archived