The Manchester United thread 2005/06 - Way Past It's Sell-By Date

Nick OGS20

• Replies 46.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

http://www.newscentre.bham.ac.uk/release.htm?releaseId=...=1&showUndelivered=N

'US tycoon Malcolm Glazer could be forced to sell Manchester United. Glazer's takeover should be investigated by the Competition Commission, claims Professor Jonathan Michie, Director of Birmingham Business School at the University of Birmingham, in a letter sent to the Office of Fair Trading today.

The OFT refers to the Competition Commission takeovers that might result in markets (for example for football tickets and merchandise) working less well for consumers, with the key test being whether prices would rise as a result - and based on these 'tests': "The Glazer takeover is a clear failure: it is obvious prices will have to rise to pay for the acquisition, quite unrelated to any increase in quality of the product being sold."

Prof. Michie is a National Committee Member of Shareholders United, representing 35,000 Manchester United supporters who plan to use the money they received from Glazer, to buy back their shares at the earliest opportunity. If the Competition Commission orders Glazer to sell, this could be sooner rather than later. Any investigation could also force Mr Glazer to finally 'go public' with his business plans for the club.

Shareholders United will also be writing to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to urge the Competition Commission to investigate claims Glazer plans to raise ticket prices by more than 50 per cent over the next five years. And it is expected that many fans - the 'customers' - will be writing as well.

Michie added: "Supporters will be forced to pay more, which means the market will be working less well for them. That will be true for supporters of other clubs playing at Old Trafford, and it will be true for FA Cup and League games, so the markets for all these competitions will work less well and the supporters of all clubs risk being hit."

The letters from Prof. Michie and other members of Shareholders United urge the OFT to refer the acquisition by Glazer's investment company, Red Football Limited, of Manchester United PLC to the Competition Commission for investigation and report. Prof. Michie argues there are several "compelling grounds" for expecting that the takeover would result in the relevant markets working less well for consumers. There are four relevant markets: Manchester United matches (at the ground and on television) and merchandise; Premier League matches; the football industry in England; and the sports market more generally.

"All four markets would work less well for consumers, were the takeover to proceed", Prof. Michie said, "But the most immediate reason for referral is that the true intentions of Malcolm Glazer will only be clear once competition regulators force him to reveal all."

The Competition Commission conducts in-depth inquiries into mergers, and can only investigate inquires referred by the OFT. In the case of the Manchester United takeover, the CC would look at the 'markets' in which the club operates. An investigation of Malcolm Glazer's plans could result in the controversial businessman being forced to sell his shares on the stockmarket - thus allowing supporters to buy back and even increase their previous holdings.

Prof. Michie said: "It is now only the Competition Commission that has the relevant powers to acquire the necessary information from Glazer as to his intentions and whether under his ownership the market for Manchester United games, and for Premiership football, will work well for consumers or not. It is highly inappropriate and unsatisfactory that the only questions Glazer has had to face regarding the takeover have been at the enquiry held in the US by the National Football League. It is time for the authorities in England to seek some answers."

In his detailed letter, Prof. Michie discusses reasons why Mr Glazer's plans could work less well for consumers. He looks at the possibility of: soaring ticket prices of more than 50 per cent and other price hikes; insolvency of the club; the closure of Manchester United Television (MUTV); the negative impact on the community and supporters; and the damage to national and international football and sports markets.

Prof. Michie added: "There is no doubt there are genuine and serious problems to customers and risks to competition." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

tbf, SBA is a cut above the general ABU flock.

I'd also take him over 1,000 baronsamedi's </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rubbish. He's more moronic, because he actually believes what he's coming out with is in some way logical.

There's another interesting article on RN which is probably too long to c&p here. It talks about Supporters Direct with reference to SU in pretty glowing terms, worth a read I think.

One other bit of news:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">United youth players Ritchie Jones and Tom Heaton are in England's squad for the European under-19 championships in Northern Ireland. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Rubbish. He's more moronic, because he actually believes what he's coming out with is in some way logical. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely someone who states what they believe is much better, even if it's largely considered moronic, than someone who's only input is to wind people up?

One is merely misguided, the other is an attention-seeking f**k up!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Rubbish. He's more moronic, because he actually believes what he's coming out with is in some way logical. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I wouldn't have spent all this time trying to save the planet if I didn't believe it was true icon_biggrin.gif

Nick: It's not so bad in a thread with a nice title icon_smile.gif

barrysaturday is just like that irritating fly that buzzes around and you can't swat. He thinks his little act is hilarious and you can almost imagine himself cracking one off at his computer screen, but there's no intelligence to his trolling whatsoever.

At least with SBA, you at least know he either puts a lot of thought into his wind-ups or he is just genuinely mentally unhinged.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

Surely someone who states what they believe is much better, even if it's largely considered moronic, than someone who's only input is to wind people up?

One is merely misguided, the other is an attention-seeking f**k up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it's just in my reaction to those possibilities then. I can (sometimes icon_wink.gif) ignore biting with the wind up merchants. When people think they are using logic, when in fact their 'argument' couldn't be more removed from it, i can't avoid getting sucked in every time icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, he does both icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

sorted out the thread title. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*leaves, carefully avoiding sheep droppings*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

Nick's original title was so much better... guess Raptor must have been in then? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, they'll have been on msn to their little puppet mod.

Remember when you used to be one of them? icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Nick's original title was so much better... guess Raptor must have been in then? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember when you used to be one of them? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our puppet mod claims it was nae him :/

agree it's funny and good to show people we can have a laugh at ourselfs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Except I was rubbish, because I didn't actually do anything you asked.

ps who is their puppet? Juni? Is he anticipating switching allegiance again?

Except I was rubbish, because I didn't actually do anything you asked.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Course you did, remember when you gave Keyser a warning for saying c*nt because James and I told you too.

He sulked for ages.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

If the OFT force Glazer to sell the club, it could leave us in an even worse condition than we are in now. Not only will Glazer be able to sell the club at a personal profit, but the new owners will have 'his' debt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>was that his plan?

Originally posted by Retro:

Course you did, remember when you gave Keyser a warning for saying c*nt because James and I told you too.

He sulked for ages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember saying to you all, don't say it because I'll have to card you just like anyone else... then he said it within about an hour... and wouldn't speak to me for ages! icon_biggrin.gif

I missed him too! icon_frown.gif

yeah then you gave me a warning because he told you it was me who dared him to say it icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I warn you? Should have banned you tbh

At least there was no favouritism in my tenure... I held everyone in equal contempt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

I did not sulk icon_mad.gif

*sulks* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You so did!! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by baronsamedi:

agree it's funny and good to show people we can have a laugh at ourselfs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your surname is Glazer isn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

I did not sulk icon_mad.gif

*sulks* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You so did!! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did not icon_mad.gif i took it with my signature maturity and good grace icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

I'd like to use this beautifully constructed thread to wish myself a happy 23rd birthday.

Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happy birthday fella. Tis a fine age to be icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

I'd like to use this beautifully constructed thread to wish myself a happy 23rd birthday.

Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happy birthday fella. Tis a fine age to be icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wish i was it again

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

oh and guys we do have a puppet mod.

Marlow.

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you please ask Lee to change it to 'The Manchester United thread 2005/06 - The Crumbling Empire Strikes Back' then? icon_frown.gif

Cheers lads, I'll think of you all when I'm struggling to have sex with my girlfriend tonight icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In most cases, I can't see that helping icon_frown.gif

Cheers lads, I'll think of you all when I'm struggling to have sex with my girlfriend tonight icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, when you're struggling, trying to get your drunken todger up, you're gonna think of us lot?

icon_biggrin.gif

May want to refrain from telling the missus that mate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

So, when you're struggling, trying to get your drunken todger up, you're gonna think of us lot?

icon_biggrin.gif

May want to refrain from telling the missus that mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should help me break my 45 second personal best icon_cool.gif

I'm going to to wish you happy birthday tomorrow so its no longer your birthday no longer bling </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see what you did there you wily old fox

oh and guys we do have a puppet mod.

Marlow.

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you please ask Lee to change it to 'The Manchester United thread 2005/06 - The Crumbling Empire Strikes Back' then? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done.

Oh and its blatantly well past the expiry date of my 'waring' so if that nice Scooter chap could remove it on his next visit, I would be delighted beyond all words.

ghifb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done.

Archived