The Rules Challenge

I started this thread in GD a while ago, Do You Set Yourself Rules? , it got quite a good response and I thought i'd have a go at creating a challenge, based on some of the rules.

Most of the following rules I used in my FM08 save with Bayern Munich, the challenge was to win the Champions League and it took me 14 seasons and a lot of luck :p

- Wage cap of £50k. No matter how important the player is or what you might think this signing will bring to your team, you can not exceed this cap. On taking over a club, you must transfer list and sell any player whose wages exceed the salary cap.

- Accept any bid for any player as soon as the bid matches 2.5 times the players valuation e.g. value of player is £1m, you must accept any bid of £2.5m or above.

- You can not spend more than your clubs record transfer fee on one player. Each club differs, and you may want to take this into consideration when choosing clubs.

- No more than £15m can be spent in the January transfer window.

- One U20 HG player to play at least one half of each match.

- At least three youth team debuts per season.

- No using player search.

- No signing a player until you have a full scout report of player.

You can use any team, in any league and the challenge is to win the Champions League. Don't be fooled into thinking it's as easy as picking a big team, remember that big teams have players on big wages and the wage cap is probably the hardest rule to abide by. You will go through a lot of players because of the 2.5 times valuation rule, so consistency and squad gelling is hard to come by.

It might sound easy, but it's actually quite hard. Hopefully come people will give it a go :thup:

If, due to clauses or taking over a club, the player goes over £50k pw you will have to negotiate a new contract and try to get them to lower their wages. You can keep them if they accept lower wages, but if they refuse, you're going to have to get rid of them.

The wage structure is the hardest part of this challenge, and it's all too tempting to splash the cash in order to win the CL. However, don't give up, I managed to win the CL with a wage bill of under £500k :cool::p

Wait what? You posted the thing in response to my post which is at #5, surely? Not the post at #8? Because your post (#7) appeared for me when I posted the #8, meaning you bloody well can't have written that as a response to #8 :D

Will probably have a go at this with Celtic at some point, cheap Brazilians and talent from Scotland :cool:

- You can not spend more than your clubs record transfer fee on one player. Each club differs, and you may want to take this into consideration when choosing clubs.

This would make my FC United game pretty hard :(

I also quite like the player search screen, I see it as a list of potential targets generated by my scouts.

Would be brilliant if you managed this by only getting players in on a free! :D

I seem to remember getting to the Premiership using just free transfers with Prescot Cables with FM08. I guess it would be pretty hard to go on and win the league and CL without making some major signings though.

I seem to remember getting to the Premiership using just free transfers with Prescot Cables with FM08. I guess it would be pretty hard to go on and win the league and CL without making some major signings though.

In my Gundo's Challenge in FM08, IIRC my highest transfer fee was only around £200,000 despite being stupidly rich.

Archived