[FM 24] Canada League 1 and Cup Comps

UPDATE: I believe this is pretty much complete, especially since the Canadian Mega Pack is on its way.

I am pleased to announce that with the diligent help of both @themodelcitizen and @magicmastermind124, this file is basically complete. Please everyone go ahead and test it out. Please let me know how it goes.

This includes:
- League1 Ontario

- League1 Ontario Championship (2024 on)

- League1 Ontario U21 Reserves

- League1 Ontario U19 Reserves Summer and Fall Seasons

- League1 Ontario Cup (2024 on)

- Ligue1 Quebec

- Ligue1 Quebec Cup

- League1 British Columbia

- Inter-Provincial Championship (2024 on)

- Fixes to the Canadian Championship to include the correct League 1 teams

The file linked here is the newest and possibly final version.

Canada 3.72 minor fixes and scheduling updates.fmf

@themodelcitizen's USA expansion file and Canadian Championship fix (which can be applied to either or both countries in-game) are available here: 

Edited by SaintsCanada
Added newer file

I've added a second file to the OP, and will attach here as well.

In advanced editor, I was able to get the Coupe L1QC to correctly give a first round bye to the two finalists from the previous season.

This might actually be the final version for a while. Most details about the 2024 season are still to be finalized in real life, so I believe I'll start playing now using this version of the file.

Hopefully Canadian Megapack and/or Themodelcitizen release something beyond my capabilities in the meantime!

Canada League 1 Advanced Coupe Working.fmf

1 hour ago, EzeRoche07 said:

Does the file include all the real players from League 1 clubs updated to the 2023 season?

No, I have not done any work with the database, save what was needed to make the competitions work properly (i.e. remove Pickering from L1O).

Edited by SaintsCanada

On 12/11/2023 at 23:22, Fmfan00 said:

I can work on your file and expand it just wondering how far into the file are you and what did you do?

I have a load of information to take Canada lower if you want a realistic file. I just need to get on the editor. I went all the way down to high school on FM23. Drop me a message if you need anything. 

This version includes the League1 Ontario Championship (second-flight) being created in 2024, and the League 1 Ontario Cup resuming in 2024.

The file seems to work best if you start in 2023.

Two problems I haven't been able to figure out: 1) IRL after the 2023 season, League1 Ontario teams were relegated to the Championship based on a cumulated points formula over the two seasons 2022 and 2023. I can't get that to work yet, so it's a straight-up relegation based on 2023. 2) The L1 Ontario Cup only seems to start giving byes to the best teams in the top division starting in 2026. In 2024 and 2025, the teams getting byes to the second round is a bit random.

Canada 2.1 Ontario Cup.fmf

11 hours ago, stickpiano said:

Is this is a fix you'd consider adding?  It's frustrating to tick over to season 2 and be saddled with that terrible cap.  Especially when IRL they have made league changes to allow salary cap growth.

That would need to be changed in the rules for each year. I believe, in the Canadian MegaPatch, it was done so that it would increase until around 2026 and was then removed so there was no cap.

On 16/11/2023 at 14:36, stickpiano said:

Is this is a fix you'd consider adding?  It's frustrating to tick over to season 2 and be saddled with that terrible cap.  Especially when IRL they have made league changes to allow salary cap growth.

I don't plan to touch the CPL. If the Canadian Megapatch comes out this year, they will probably fix that.

But you, or anyone else, is welcome to further edit my file as you wish.

I found one tiny problem. This fix records the past winners of the League1 Ontario Championship division.

I think this will probably be the last update until/unless I figure ways out to fix the byes in the first couple seasons of League1 Ontario Cup and the two-year relegation system before the creation of the League1 Ontario Championship.

Canada 2.5 Championship History.fmf

12 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

I have the 2 year relegation down pat, but the game really doesn't like relegating into a previously inactive division, did you account for that somehow? Everything seems to work fine and then neither start in 2024 (even if I keep the Championship as inactive)

Where do you put in the league points data for 2022 which is then used toward two-year relegation?

6 minutes ago, SaintsCanada said:

Where do you put in the league points data for 2022 which is then used toward two-year relegation?

Same as we were talking in another thread, they have all the settings for that:

Spoiler

scrosoppi.thumb.png.e0c1599b65ee12cebe3d7f0fed5b1623.png

Happy to share the file if you want to answer my question as well?

Edited by themodelcitizen

1 hour ago, themodelcitizen said:

Same as we were talking in another thread, they have all the settings for that:

Hide contents

scrosoppi.thumb.png.e0c1599b65ee12cebe3d7f0fed5b1623.png

Happy to share the file if you want to answer my question as well?

In my file, the relegation from 2023 to 2024 works fine, with nine teams dropping down from League1 Ontario to League1 Ontario Championship but it is only based on 2023 season rather than a 2-year relegation computation. However, I have the same trouble where the gamesave must start in 2023 rather than 2024 to work properly (I think this is fine to be honest as 2023 is the base season in USA based on yearly licenses).

*My relegation system was set up by magicmastermind124. They deserve the credit! *

They explained they removed League1 Canada as parent competition for League1 Ontario Championship since it is a lower division level. They then set up relegation (rather than qualification) to League1 Ontario Championship in the 2023 rules for League1 Ontario. Feel free to poke around my attached file to find everything.

Yes, if I could see your file too it would be appreciated!

Canada 2.5 Championship History.fmf

I was hoping to add League2 however with there being two difference sites providing confusing information 

https://northerntribune.ca/rush-academy-league2-ontario/ (this said that League2 will have 20 clubs which we already know 2 of them

https://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/1204137 this link says L10 expansion teams for League2 plus reserve teams but also L1O has a U19 league does that include reserve teams like its so confusing

8 minutes ago, Fmfan00 said:

I was hoping to add League2 however with there being two difference sites providing confusing information 

https://northerntribune.ca/rush-academy-league2-ontario/ (this said that League2 will have 20 clubs which we already know 2 of them

https://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/1204137 this link says L10 expansion teams for League2 plus reserve teams but also L1O has a U19 league does that include reserve teams like its so confusing

I believe League 2 is planned to start in 2025, but as of right now there are barely any teams that have registered to join. Actually, even L1 Championship should have 10 teams with one new team to be added, but no team has yet registered to join as the tenth club.

There's only so much we can reasonably do for future years where real-life information is lacking. We don't have a time machine.

6 hours ago, SaintsCanada said:

In my file, the relegation from 2023 to 2024 works fine, with nine teams dropping down from League1 Ontario to League1 Ontario Championship but it is only based on 2023 season rather than a 2-year relegation computation. However, I have the same trouble where the gamesave must start in 2023 rather than 2024 to work properly (I think this is fine to be honest as 2023 is the base season in USA based on yearly licenses).

*My relegation system was set up by magicmastermind124. They deserve the credit! *

They explained they removed League1 Canada as parent competition for League1 Ontario Championship since it is a lower division level. They then set up relegation (rather than qualification) to League1 Ontario Championship in the 2023 rules for League1 Ontario. Feel free to poke around my attached file to find everything.

Yes, if I could see your file too it would be appreciated!

Canada 2.5 Championship History.fmf 21.46 kB · 2 downloads

I assume this is updated file as I wanna add some LO2 stuff plus reserve league and then also u20 LO plus university leagues as well help better the file?

1 hour ago, Fmfan00 said:

I assume this is updated file as I wanna add some LO2 stuff plus reserve league and then also u20 LO plus university leagues as well help better the file?

Absolutely, feel free! If you mean the database, I have not done any yearly updates. I have only done database updates necessary for the rules to work and added stadia to teams without one.

26 minutes ago, SaintsCanada said:

Absolutely, feel free! If you mean the database, I have not done any yearly updates. I have only done database updates necessary for the rules to work and added stadia to teams without one.

I just was wondering if that was an updated verison of your basic verison that model worked on.. 

I felt I had to rush to try to beat you both to get the 2 year relegation working!  :lol:

So here it is.  I had to make a few tweaks - I made the 2 year stage generate the fixtures, and post the results into stage 0 which determines the playoffs.  Stage 1 is hidden, and grabs the data from the previous season and carries it into stage 2 with 75% of the points, where the fixtures are generated.  I also enabled a faked version in case only the CPL is ever selected, which will just relegate 9 teams as the game won't simulate all of the stages and it won't know which teams to relegate, so it doesn't relegate any.

I have tested it and verified it in the editor, all working.  Not had a chance to test it in game however, so it may need some fine tweaking before we can do some fine twerking. :brock:

EDIT: Another tweak - I added teams for 2024, so if using that start date, it will pick the right teams.

Canada 2.7 2Y Relegation.fmf

Edited by magicmastermind124

Wow, thank you! I will test it out in-game and see how it works.

Themodelcitizen is going to try to create the L1 Ontario Reserves system after finishing another project.

I will try adding the Inter-provincial Championship.

Edited by SaintsCanada

I've loaded it up and noticed a couple of issues:

It logs 2023 winners despite the season not completing.  I'm not sure why...trying to figure that out.  Been out of the editing world for a while so a bit rusty!

It also uses the stage name the fixtures are being generated in. You can take it out, but then the stage 0 layout on the competition screen looks odd.  I've changed it to Regular Season and it looks better.

6 minutes ago, magicmastermind124 said:

It logs 2023 winners despite the season not completing.  I'm not sure why...trying to figure that out.  Been out of the editing world for a while so a bit rusty!

It also uses the stage name the fixtures are being generated in. You can take it out, but then the stage 0 layout on the competition screen looks odd.  I've changed it to Regular Season and it looks better.

Brilliant! I had it set up in a similar way, except the main stage (0) actually set up the fixtures like normal and just also sent them to the visible 2-year stage. A separate hidden stage brings in the results from 2022 and then those results are also sent into the visible 2-year stage (which relegates).

That solved the stage name issue, where the main stage is just the default "league table" or whatever, but relegation seemed not to always work, maybe because of the weird stage setup.

You might benefit from "store league history" checked but "stage name" unchecked. The 2023 thing could be a ranking issue? Maybe "don't rank teams using this stage". Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what awarded winners in 2023. Anyway, happy to take a peak at any point if you need a second pair of eyes to tighten things up. Sounds great so far!

36 minutes ago, magicmastermind124 said:

Why wouldn't League1 Ontario log 2023 winners? Do you mean if the savegame starts in 2024? In that case, perhaps it invents fake results for 2023?

33 minutes ago, SaintsCanada said:

Why wouldn't League1 Ontario log 2023 winners? Do you mean if the savegame starts in 2024? In that case, perhaps it invents fake results for 2023?

I see what you mean now, it logs 2023 winners before 2023 season even begins.

Yes! Might need you or @Gum to look at my US file at some point, lol. Adding USL2 (including Thunder Bay and FC Manitoba) but it's not finishing in time despite everything looking fine. I'm sure I'm just missing something from looking at the 16 child comps, 5 league stages, and 6 cup stages though :lol:

1 hour ago, themodelcitizen said:

Yes! Might need you or @Gum to look at my US file at some point, lol. Adding USL2 (including Thunder Bay and FC Manitoba) but it's not finishing in time despite everything looking fine. I'm sure I'm just missing something from looking at the 16 child comps, 5 league stages, and 6 cup stages though :lol:

Having 1 hidden stage, two league stages and a single cup stage was bad enough :eek:

1 hour ago, SaintsCanada said:

Think I was able to get the L1O history to record properly.

Canada 2.8 L1O History Fix.fmf 21.96 kB · 1 download

Amazing, I'll see if i can take a look at this tomorrow.  Not WFH so won't have time during the day to check!

Interprovincial Championship looks a bit tough. There are two aspects I foresee having trouble with:

Host: Ideally this will rotate between the three leagues each year. Last year's women's event was hosted by L1BC and the games were played at Vancouver FC's home. So I think I'll choose one host stadium for each league, and try to have it rotate between the three each year.

Extra spot: The host league should get a second berth each year to make for four teams total.

If anybody has experience with either of these aspects, please let me know.

2 minutes ago, SaintsCanada said:

Interprovincial Championship looks a bit tough. There are two aspects I foresee having trouble with:

Host: Ideally this will rotate between the three leagues each year. Last year's women's event was hosted by L1BC and the games were played at Vancouver FC's home. So I think I'll choose one host stadium for each league, and try to have it rotate between the three each year.

Extra spot: The host league should get a second berth each year to make for four teams total.

If anybody has experience with either of these aspects, please let me know.

You could have three versions of the league, with year intervals of 3 years instead of 1, so that the game will pick up the correct teams each year depending on which year it is.  Just specify the teams you need and the stadium on each version, should do the trick.

Yeah, or within "teams" you could set each entry to rotate over 3 years. Sometimes it's easier to keep track of with 3 separate versions though (just triple the amount of work if you notice a minor issue :seagull:). So an extra "get best teams from division" entry for the "host" league that rotates over 3 years.

Is the host automatically the host league's winner? If so, then under "stadium pool" you could specify "get last winner" (or however you pick teams for the IPC) for that year and that would now be stadium_0. This can also rotate over 3 years (or have 3 different versions).

Alternately if the teams are listed in a certain order (with the host league's teams coming in first) and you use the flag "don't randomize team order when scheduling the league" then I think "league stage stadium 1" should by default be the stadium of the first team in the list.

2 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Yeah, or within "teams" you could set each entry to rotate over 3 years. Sometimes it's easier to keep track of with 3 separate versions though (just triple the amount of work if you notice a minor issue :seagull:). So an extra "get best teams from division" entry for the "host" league that rotates over 3 years.

Is the host automatically the host league's winner? If so, then under "stadium pool" you could specify "get last winner" (or however you pick teams for the IPC) for that year and that would now be stadium_0. This can also rotate over 3 years (or have 3 different versions).

Alternately if the teams are listed in a certain order (with the host league's teams coming in first) and you use the flag "don't randomize team order when scheduling the league" then I think "league stage stadium 1" should by default be the stadium of the first team in the list.

We don't have that much information yet. Last year's women's version was hosted at Vancouver FC (from the CPL)'s stadium. So I'm thinking for now I'll set an appropriate stadium in each province (maybe a CPL stadium, or maybe the Ontario Soccer Centre/Bois de Boulogne which serve as the cup final and/or playoff final hosts in L1O and L1Q).

Ohh OK. You could set it up so that it's a rotating version every 3 years, with a random stadium from a predefined list every time. So BC could be the two CanPL stadia, Ontario gets a random pick from Hamilton/York/etc. I wonder if league stage stadium 1 (still works in cups I think) you could make it so that, like an island team would get Langford and a mainland team would get Langley (giving all the lower league teams an "alternate stadium" for this competition only), but that would be tricky.

Edited by themodelcitizen

• SaintsCanada changed the title to [FM 24] Canada League 1 and Cup Comps