[FM23.4] FIFA Champions League (BETA)

Starting in 2024, the new UEFA Champions League group phase doesn't generate any fixtures - a 104-team FIFA Champions League is played instead in the classic CL group format, on the same matchdays (so no extra fixtures).

For the game.

Most of the continents follow a similar pattern, e.g. the Copa Libertadores gets to 16 teams as usual and then a regional champion is decided via FCL group stage results:

Spoiler

new1.thumb.png.4c17351e506586d9f13525d1c9f51593.pngnew2.thumb.png.9b38e9badd4f4905c51a7280ed9a5df6.pngFIFACL2.thumb.png.f0edf87e155974799c3c4b0f671d118a.png

Do not run with any other Champions League or Club World Cup files. This is a wholesale replacement of the global structure into one interconnected system.

For the world.

This shouldn't disturb UEFA or AFC coefficients as such, and the imported results from the FWC might even count (needs a bit more testing). Also adds Wellington Phoenix to O-League and Russian clubs to AFC to make sure every professional club has a shot at the prize money on offer.

DOWNLOAD (BETA) (backup)

Still need to work on awards and test everything over time, any help is appreciated.

Edited by themodelcitizen

4 hours ago, anitamui said:

wow that is epic

but how many teams did each continents get?

It's the 36 teams in the UEFA CL League Stage, plus the last 16 in the other big 4 continents, plus the last 4 in Oceania (104 in total).

Still working on getting the results to translate to UEFA like they do everywhere else, any suggestions there are appreciated. Might need to add a new stage to the UEFA CL. I *think* that Europe will even then start adjusting its coefficient based on those group results (not the knockouts unless I work those in too).

Cleaning up some bugs and have a more playable version up now, could still use a fresh pair of eyes to check things out. The rules make sense if you think about it:

Spoiler

The idea is you qualify for your continental last 16 as usual (or last 4 for Oceania, and last 36, or the new league phase, for UEFA), although the pre-qualifiers for Asia and South America are truncated now to make up for the fixture pile-up.

The remaining teams then play out the 104-team FIFA CL group stage, which is played on all the old matchdays (including the final) from the UEFA Champions League.

The way Europe crowns its own champion isn't as clean as the other confederations but still works for now. This separate structure in the background also means Europe has a separate prize pool - we do want teams like Saprissa and Hekari United to have access to life-changing sums here, but reasonable amounts, not the tens of millions that Bayern and Real pull in from the CL every year.

The final is at the "host" stadium, which is still the same semi-random format the default Club World Cup uses.

As an update. Qualifying finally seems to be working fine year-on-year, it's just a couple of issues with transferring results. CONCACAF and Libertadores have a calendar-year setup so it gets a bit confused, trying to work with that now. Meanwhile UEFA's league phase doesn't seem to draw after the first year, it wouldn't be the end of the world if that keeps happening but if so I'll just transfer the Euro prize pool the main competition (drastic effects on world football incoming...)

3 hours ago, J-Hood said:

love this idea, although i prefer if Europe isn't always the dominant continent in these files. 

You'll be pleased then, the latest file shifts the prize money all onto the FIFA CL. The UEFA one is hard-coded in a weird way, so it doesn't crown a champion like the other confederations getting points from the FCL groups (all working now), meaning I couldn't get Europe to assign points and rankings the way I wanted in UCL.

That's fine, because the FCL takes care of all that, while teams from the other confeds still have a chance to win their own continental cup by doing well in the FCL groups.

This way, the Euro teams don't lose any potential prize money, but everyone else gets a massive bump.

So, teams like Hekari United end up with $15 mil one season while their domestic rivals run on a budget of $1K or so. Lol, it will be interesting to see how that works in a playable league. Do they hoard the money? Do they share it around by buying up young talent, effectively building a nation? Does the AI get confused and just keep it in the bank without upping transfer or wage budgets?

If anyone's run a couple of seasons with this in a smaller league somewhere, let us know how it's going

Oh, and the UCL ends up in a weird cycle after 10+ seasons or so where only the teams in the qualifiers get coefficient points, so every year there's a switch where the teams playing the qualifiers get enough coefficient points to move to the top and everyone else drops back down (for one year). I think I can set it so the FCL will control coefficients instead, just need to work on that without breaking them.

EDIT: If I get the energy I'll work a project (maybe for FM24) merging the qualifying/structural changes here with @Dallan's epic work on coefficients in his Worldwide Champions League thread

Edited by themodelcitizen

Yeah this replaces everything. Don't run any of the other continental files, this effectively Includes the CONCACAF fix for picking teams, just sends the last 16 here instead of the usual knockout stage.

As for CWC, this replaces it, no more December/summer tourneys. Don't run a CWC file or it will clash.

6 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Yeah this replaces everything. Don't run any of the other continental files, this effectively Includes the CONCACAF fix for picking teams, just sends the last 16 here instead of the usual knockout stage.

As for CWC, this replaces it, no more December/summer tourneys. Don't run a CWC file or it will clash.

tanks for the reply. when in 2024 does this comp start and does this also include not having the below

The Saudi-Egyptian Super Cup 

The Arab Club Champions Cup is also revived as the 2023 King Salman Cup, and continues next season in the same format.

The GCC Champions League hasn't been scheduled since cancelled editions in 2016 and 2017 - now that Qatar and its neighbours are on friendly(-ish) terms again, this revives the competition next year.

The African Football League

On 24/10/2023 at 04:10, themodelcitizen said:

Wow, another blast from the past that came up while searching something unrelated:

Just took me the 13 odd years to get around to it... can't say I've accomplished too much else in the intervening period :lol:

I was already there at that time😎

Edited by Jorgen