5-2-2-1 / 3-4-3 Counter Attacking + Defensively Solid + Eye Pleasing Football

Great formation, would recommend to anyone playing the game. 

Took my newly promoted Skybet Championship side to a Carabillo Cup final and a top 10 finish in the prem the following year. Really strong defensively and a flexible formation, particularly as an underdog. 

Edited by Cloud9

11 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Great formation, would recommend to anyone playing the game. 

Took my newly promoted Skybet Championship side to a Carabillo Cup final and a top 10 finish in the prem the following year. Really strong defensively and a flexible formation, particularly as an underdog. 

Yep! It's brilliant for players who are weary about defense, or if they have a team with a weak midfield that would struggle to control games on their own.

14 minutes ago, TheMartello said:

Did you use any player instructions?

Any results you could share as well?

In mine I had the BPD dribble more, and the advanced playmaker roam. I also tinkered w/passing instructions so my less talented players played it shorter.

I played a two footed AP next to an extremely aggro SS and a tall/quick PF(a) w a dlp/bwm behind in the DM Strada so he had the free role to create. If you can it's a nice touch, but situational. 

Edited by Cloud9

6 hours ago, TheMartello said:

Did you use any player instructions?

Any results you could share as well?

No player instructions at the moment.

As for results? First season with Frankfurt and we're solidly in 3rd place with about 12 games left to go.

Knocked out of the UCL by Barcelona, knocked out of the German cup by Bayern. 

The team was projected to finish around 6th or 7th so, if we finish 3rd I'll be very pleased.

The exact same roles (apart from the striker) and examples as I posted here in this thread;

Almost the exact same wording in a lot of places too. Bit weird :D

Edited by Cleon

10 hours ago, Cleon said:

The exact same roles (apart from the striker) and examples as I posted here in this thread;

I continue to read both you and Rashidi all the time to keep my tactical mind sharp.

9 hours ago, bababooey said:

I continue to read both you and Rashidi all the time to keep my tactical mind sharp.

Did you experiment with using other roles on the wingbacks when you're chasing a goal?

I was surprised by how well the WB(s) worked but I was tinkering with a roaming wb on a side anyways. 

2 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Did you experiment with using other roles on the wingbacks when you're chasing a goal?

I was surprised by how well the WB(s) worked but I was tinkering with a roaming wb on a side anyways. 

Not other roles, just changing duty from support to attack, but this didn't really make much difference on its own.

On 14/03/2023 at 02:48, Cleon said:

It's a conundrum really! But I guess great formations inspire emulation :lol:

UPDATE - END OF SEASON RESULTS

Frankfurt managed to finish 4th using this system in nearly all matches, save for a few where I experimented with something else (it didn't impact the results much at all).

Media prediction was 5th, so we overachieved slightly. The problem here is obvious, though, which is that we don't score many goals + create enough chances. But defensively, we are ROCK solid.

fgdh457rtsghcjcg3453.jpg.708801e1d774879af88ec5bd98fcc687.jpgxd346fngx333.jpg.fe06cdc777c65f6a3d0d1c9ad6362a25.jpg

jvgh356kjmghghc345cc.jpg.4c8e57b6cc35afa1c17516fada9c6027.jpg

Some things that were disappointing

- we didn't cross the ball as much as we could have

- Nowhere near enough dribbles

- our tackling was pretty average coming in around 75%

- our passing completion percentage was quite average, nothing to write home about!

- our heading (defensively) was great, but I wish we could have done more with that on set pieces. It feels like scoring from corners and free kicks is SO much harder this year but maybe it's just me

Some seriously positive things

- Our interceptions were BRILLIANT. Nearly 27 per match!

- We did a good job of not losing possession too often

- Only 3 other clubs allowed FEWER passes against in their final third than us. That's fantastic, especially when you consider that 2 of them are Bayern and RB Leipzig

- We sold our first choice goalkeeper in January (we needed the money) and it didn't impact our defensive acumen one bit!

- Our conversion rate was quite good. When faced with chances, we usually converted them, which is always nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Great read, gave me a direction on my Almeria save where even tho we're overachiving, we have problems playing against the other 6 teams in top 7

If u had to make some tweaks to be more "aggressive" or scoring more in matches we're the better side, or home games, what could be done? Maybe a SS instead of the AM(S), and a WB(A) in the opposite side? A bigger problem i was having was being more dominant against weaker, defensive teams who constantly score on us in counter attacks, we dropped many points bc of this. Anyway again, great article

6 hours ago, hotredabyss said:

Great read, gave me a direction on my Almeria save where even tho we're overachiving, we have problems playing against the other 6 teams in top 7

If u had to make some tweaks to be more "aggressive" or scoring more in matches we're the better side, or home games, what could be done? Maybe a SS instead of the AM(S), and a WB(A) in the opposite side? A bigger problem i was having was being more dominant against weaker, defensive teams who constantly score on us in counter attacks, we dropped many points bc of this. Anyway again, great article

If you read the article of mine linked in the thread, I cover all of this in that, especially on how to be more aggressive

Thanks for this, I'm using the following, it looks similar however I have much more conservative roles in defense, we also sit deep, and the players who try to make efforts are the two amcs. Pressing forward on defend is fantastic, it is very important that he does NOT take any efforts in this formation imho, just simple drop deep, give the ball, go back in the line. Amcr and ss have "stay wider" checked so they are playing as half-wingers too and wing-backs are encouraged to cross. I distribute from the keeper to ss, it works rather well.

cautious-counter.png

Edited by Poison