New stage 3 for uefa europa league can't find enough teams to be created

Joža Kuhar

Now when release a new update for FM23 i can't  verify advanced rules in Yugoslavia leagues.It's just write me an:New stage 3 for uefa europa league can't find enough teams to be created!!!!!

I look on original database and there is everything mirror than my file by UEFA competitions.I don't know what's the problem!Can someone help me,please where is a mistake?

Thank's guy's

Editor 2023 11. 03. 2023 21_36_56.png

On 11/03/2023 at 21:56, Joža Kuhar said:

Now when release a new update for FM23 i can't  verify advanced rules in Yugoslavia leagues.It's just write me an:New stage 3 for uefa europa league can't find enough teams to be created!!!!!

I look on original database and there is everything mirror than my file by UEFA competitions.I don't know what's the problem!Can someone help me,please where is a mistake?

Thank's guy's

Editor 2023 11. 03. 2023 21_36_56.png

Upload your file.

20 hours ago, nine_iron said:

I am getting the same error.

I wonder if we both did something similar and this has messed things up a little.

I only have a small tweak to make to the rules for my league, its rather annoying as it worked before the update.

Lincs & Cambs 0.99.96.30.fmf 53.01 kB · 0 downloads

Last update working perfect,the new update is crash this europa league.I'm not smart anymore

19 hours ago, Joža Kuhar said:

Last update working perfect,the new update is crash this europa league.I'm not smart anymore

Yes, no major changes from me other than move to new DB and tweaking. Not changed anything that would direcly affect European competitions that I am aware of. I think its a change that worked before but does not work now.

I am guessing a rebuild from scratch may be in order BUT I have about 200 backup files so my plan is to go back and see if I can get any to work. Might save a days work but take a couple hours to do.

Edited by nine_iron

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue, really, despite not directly messing with the competitions. It may have to do with an additional nation in Europe, but I fail to see the logic behind this.

But I think that's the thing we have in common - or it's messed up when switching to advanced rules to begin with.

For me, I made I custom nation in Europe by bringing Ireland pre-1922 back to life. 

Got the error message that the CL found 77 teams but only needed 76 from rankings - I looked into the registered teams (also because I wanted to replace the exact teams), and by default there are 78 teams registered. Taking one out and only having 77 registered (even though it's one less than by default) was enough to get rid of that error, but afterwards the one posted here followed - stage 3 of the Europa League only finding 11 team when it needs 32 teams. Registered teams by default are 21 - which happens to be the difference, although that may be coincidential since the issue only shows up in stage 3.

Edit: And mind you, this issue is showing up on a database entirely built after the 23.4. update as well.

Edited by MRC

On 06/05/2023 at 09:17, MRC said:

I have the same issue, really, despite not directly messing with the competitions. It may have to do with an additional nation in Europe, but I fail to see the logic behind this.

But I think that's the thing we have in common - or it's messed up when switching to advanced rules to begin with.

For me, I made I custom nation in Europe by bringing Ireland pre-1922 back to life. 

Got the error message that the CL found 77 teams but only needed 76 from rankings - I looked into the registered teams (also because I wanted to replace the exact teams), and by default there are 78 teams registered. Taking one out and only having 77 registered (even though it's one less than by default) was enough to get rid of that error, but afterwards the one posted here followed - stage 3 of the Europa League only finding 11 team when it needs 32 teams. Registered teams by default are 21 - which happens to be the difference, although that may be coincidental since the issue only shows up in stage 3.

Edit: And mind you, this issue is showing up on a database entirely built after the 23.4. update as well. i am gay

yeah- same i made 6 custom nations in Europe. It's just when editing advanced rules that this problem occurs. Everything else works fine- as if it were previous editions of FM - until advanced rules are engaged, but it's, for me, only really the smallest of changes with advanced rules. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's really a shame there isn't at least one SI staff member in this forum addressing such common issues.
I have close to 500 hours in the editor by now and stuff like this has straight up killed off some projects that were close to completion.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I dumb or smart because this works, file failed to verify but I can still play it if I select the old database in game.

image.png.107d9d119f07fe5e4f2e6ee34de8f0d4.png

Who knows if its stable though... 

Edited by nine_iron

2 hours ago, nine_iron said:

Am I dumb or smart because this works, file failed to verify but I can still play it if I select the old database in game.

image.png.107d9d119f07fe5e4f2e6ee34de8f0d4.png

Who knows if its stable though... 

Do several 10-15 testruns just with Lincs and see if it crashes.

The issue is in the 23.4-5 db and I have yet been able to pinpoint the problem. It is unpleasant.

It has only been a temporary fix, I recovered lots of work but I am unable to make any further changes. Sadly I forgot one single line entry that I really like, otherwise this could have worked to get some progress!

9 hours ago, nine_iron said:

It has only been a temporary fix, I recovered lots of work but I am unable to make any further changes. Sadly I forgot one single line entry that I really like, otherwise this could have worked to get some progress!

Export to XML still doable and fixing that way?

On 21/06/2023 at 22:56, Wolf_pd said:

Export to XML still doable and fixing that way?

I have tried lots of things but I cannot verify the new files. I have at least got 90% of the improvements I wanted. Pity I didn't finish the work before the files stopped verifing due to this bug.

It is very annoying a file can work one day and then not the next, without any changes.

It’s way too late here, but I drank too much cola so I can’t sleep. I am away for the weekend so can’t check my idea before Monday, but I think I might have a solution. It isn’t a pretty one, but could work.

It’s based on what I thought out to fix an issue in FM22, which in the end turned out to be a different issue anyway.

It would involve having to add a second file to your own build file though and could have some unintended side effects which I obviously haven’t been able to check yet.

Step 1: is to delete the offending competition, so delete the Europa League from the competitions table.

If my thought process is correct, the verification of your file should now work.

Step 2: Ensuring that the Europa League is added back and is connected back into all European Leagues.

Create a new file (so not a new version on your competition file!) Make sure that you have the European leagues available to edit in advanced rules. And make that ALL of them are there, Champions League, Conference League, Europa League, Super Cup. Now, create a copy of the existing Europa League competition. Make sure to make them exactly the same (a duplicate will normally not copy all exact data). Rename the original Europa League to Europa League Old and the new duplicate version to Europa League New

Now comes the tricky part, you have to replace all references to Europe League Old with Europa League New, in all the European Cups. If you have done this, delete the Europa League Old and try to verify the file. When verified, rename Europa League New.

This should not throw up an error (no guarantee btw…), but if an error is thrown up, you have all relevant competitions in one file to start problem hunting. This is obviously different to the situation in the competition file you fixed before.

If everything works and is verified, you have quite a bit of testing to do. And yes, I do realise this is quite a bit of work, but this is complex stuff I am afraid.

In the end there is one ‘but’ that can ruin the whole stuff (and that’s why I have added the quite a bit of testing), it could be that same national competition directly refer to the old Europa League via a link in one of their competitions. Then it’s a dead end.

When I get home I hope I can check it myself, but let that not stop anyone who thinks it can helpen themselves forward.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone come up with a confirmed solution to this? 

I have the same error. 

In my Nation Rules, I see only two references to Europa League. I've tested the rules with each line deleted, and it's not made a difference. I don't see what might be impacting the Europa League. I've attached my file (in progress) if anyone wants to look. Any thoughts? 

a - Celtic Leagues 1.48 - test Europa League fix.fmf

Edited by AQ

I've started testing the solution suggested by @Wolf_pd. Step 1 worked: Deleting the Europa League resulted in me being able to verify rules for the top division. 

I have questions on step 2. 

On 25/06/2023 at 01:01, Wolf_pd said:

Step 2: Ensuring that the Europa League is added back and is connected back into all European Leagues.

Create a new file (so not a new version on your competition file!) Make sure that you have the European leagues available to edit in advanced rules. And make that ALL of them are there, Champions League, Conference League, Europa League, Super Cup. Now, create a copy of the existing Europa League competition. Make sure to make them exactly the same (a duplicate will normally not copy all exact data). Rename the original Europa League to Europa League Old and the new duplicate version to Europa League New

Now comes the tricky part, you have to replace all references to Europe League Old with Europa League New, in all the European Cups. If you have done this, delete the Europa League Old and try to verify the file. When verified, rename Europa League New.

• So you're saying to edit a second file with an active Europa League that I can load into the game when I load my own competitions? 
  • What's the most efficient way to replace all references to the old Europa League with a new one?
  • Are you suggesting that I manually add new rules for every nation, or is this just with one file of Continental Cup Rules that has a new Europa League?

Thanks!

In step 2, you have to activate the Europa League (and the other European Cups as well) and edit them. Most efficient way is by going through the various cup competitions. Don't see any more efficient way.

You don't have to add new rules for every nation at first. First edit the Europa League and the other ones, test if it works in game.

Btw, can you all say which nations you were editing, because I am wondering whether there is any logic behind them.

Sure, I was working with Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. 

When I ran into the error with Scotland nation rules, I was pretty close to done with my editing. After I started over again using Ireland nation rules, I hit the error again during early tests of the leagues but before I got to editing the cups and cleaning out excess files from the rules. So there's still editing to do on that. 

If you're curious, I've attached the most recent files for each of them. 

Notes on the files:

• Celtic Leagues 1.482: This is the earlier attempt, using Scotland nation rules. 
  • Ireland test 1.28: This is the second test, using Ireland nation rules, and it's right before I deleted the Europa League. 
  • Ireland test 1.29: Same project with Ireland nation rules, just after I deleted the Europa League. 

Thanks for taking a crack at this. I'm up for helping test and figure it out, but I'm not sure I have it in me to edit all those nations' cups due to the amount of time and level of expertise it probably takes, so I'm hopeful we can figure out a quicker way. (Note: My level editing is probably intermediate. I understand the Advanced Rules, but I'm no expert.)

1. Ireland test 1.28 - delete comps.fmf a - Celtic Leagues 1.482 - test Europa League fix.fmf 1. Ireland test 1.29 - Europa test.fmf

Another test: 

I downloaded the merged Belgium-Dutch league here: 

I loaded the original FM23 database (not the updates), then the data file for the BeneLiga. All files began as verified. 

I then went in and edited the league to make it so each game wasn't decided by penalties. (A fun wrinkle, I'm sure, but not one I wanted to play.) 

Then I tested and got the same Europa League error. 

Penny for your thoughts, @Wolf_pd or anyone else who's interested. 

(Side note: It appears that most successful league files available for download here date back to the few months after FM23's release. Possibly relevant.)

42 minutes ago, AQ said:

Another test: 

I downloaded the merged Belgium-Dutch league here: 

I loaded the original FM23 database (not the updates), then the data file for the BeneLiga. All files began as verified. 

I then went in and edited the league to make it so each game wasn't decided by penalties. (A fun wrinkle, I'm sure, but not one I wanted to play.) 

Then I tested and got the same Europa League error. 

Penny for your thoughts, @Wolf_pd or anyone else who's interested. 

(Side note: It appears that most successful league files available for download here date back to the few months after FM23's release. Possibly relevant.)

Yeah, that's probably the most relevant question, when was the file tested/released and against which databaseversion. There are two lines of thoughts I have right now, one, it has to do with specific nations, which means that if you edit one of those nations things with assigning teams to the Europa League go wrong (essentially maing it a teamcount issue). That would explain that some people report their files work. The second looks to be the more logical casem which is that SI broke the Europe League. Is there any change or bug on the Europa League that anyone is aware of?

Btw, my boss thinks my thoughts are worth a bit more than a penny ;)

9 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Btw, my boss thinks my thoughts are worth a bit more than a penny ;)

Me too, but I've pissed away all my expensive and intelligent observations by smacking my head against this wall otherwise known as the FM23 Editor! :confused:

And yeah. I think SI broke something.

Edited by AQ

On 20/07/2023 at 13:26, Wolf_pd said:

Is there any change or bug on the Europa League that anyone is aware of?

More thoughts:

1. I wonder if the problem could be connected to the change in Europa League rules in 2024. There are two unique sets of rules for Europa League in Advanced Rules, one for 2021, another for 2024. 

2. There are multiple bug reports about the Europa League ceasing to exist in later saves. 

3. The editor is not reading the 21 registered teams when populating the Europa League's group stage (stage 3). One registered team (Hearts) was from the leagues I edited for my own  project, while two were from the leagues affected by the BeneLiga custom database I also tested with changes. I cleared the database changes on Hearts to see if it made a difference (had to remove them from a division to set them back to Scotland). It had no apparent effect. (I also tried clearing the registered teams, just for the heck of it, and that did nothing productive either, which admittedly I expected.)

4. I've started messing with the final step you recommended, @Wolf_pd, but I'm nowhere near through it yet. 

5. There's a difference in the Advanced Rules between Europa and Champions Leagues: Under Teams/Qualified Teams, the first box is not checked for All Qualified Teams Play in Competition for Europa League, but it is for Champions League. Could this be the problem? 

Anyone else have any thoughts or progress? @nine_iron? @MichielVM? @MRC? @BlackFerdinand

(Note: I'd love to see the Cambs/Lincs database working. I just moved from Lincs to Cambs, traded one promoted team in my last town for one relegated in the new town. ;)

Edited by AQ

36 minutes ago, AQ said:

More thoughts:

1. I wonder if the problem could be connected to the change in Europa League rules in 2024. There are two unique sets of rules for Europa League in Advanced Rules, one for 2021, another for 2024.

I think you are right on this one. Have seen this go wrong in other instances where competition setup change.

Check this out: 

Europa League 2021 rules:

ScreenShot2023-07-22at11_08_47PM.thumb.png.86da09cb9b1e0c1702b304e640faef46.png

Europa League 2024 rules: 

ScreenShot2023-07-22at11_10_19PM.thumb.png.01bce69d802333797b967fcbe505de89.pngScreenShot2023-07-22at11_10_19PM.thumb.png.0f30e15c8613147b64360c9489d9b289.png

Note the "All Qualified Teams Play in Competition" box. I wonder if I just need to check it. 

So ... me being no expert at this -- 
How do I edit Continental Rules in such a way that it interacts with my Nation Rules that I'm having trouble with? 

I'll test it, if I can learn how, and share continue sharing here what I find. 

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here.

A database with a new nation I had made over Crimea didn't have any problem with European qualification of any sort, but because I couldn't have a proper national team or produce regens from said nation, I decided to do it over, this time replacing Ireland Pre-1922. And this problem happened.

I tried feeding the Europa League some preset teams for the infamous stage 3 but it didn't work either (or I didn't do it the right way).

If anyone has a solution, I'm all ears...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I am having the same problem, I tried to add the old European Cup format to the files but it didn't work. I'm not sure what to do next, I'm quite lost.

If anyone could help that would be great. Cheers.

Edited by H0ste

On 29/08/2023 at 19:03, H0ste said:

Hi guys!

I am having the same problem, I tried to add the old European Cup format to the files but it didn't work. I'm not sure what to do next, I'm quite lost.

If anyone could help that would be great. Cheers.

On 03/08/2023 at 15:07, iamveridique said:

Same problem here.

A database with a new nation I had made over Crimea didn't have any problem with European qualification of any sort, but because I couldn't have a proper national team or produce regens from said nation, I decided to do it over, this time replacing Ireland Pre-1922. And this problem happened.

I tried feeding the Europa League some preset teams for the infamous stage 3 but it didn't work either (or I didn't do it the right way).

If anyone has a solution, I'm all ears...

We wish we knew a solution.

We know how to edit the euro competitions in their own file but what we can't do is edit our files in a way to make them verify. 

I think even ways to force files to verify have failed, as this could possibly be used in conjunction with the modified euro competition file to fix the error.

Unless SI can allow us to force verification we are all a bit stuck. I am working on a non-advanced rules file for fun to play between now and FM25.

• 1 month later...

It's really strange because for the same file done differently I don't get the same result. I wonder if this isn't linked to an error in the competitions created (a conflict in the fates, dates, team selections, etc.). In the past, the editor indicated an error that had nothing to do with the real one.

16 minutes ago, Samuel77 said:

It's really strange because for the same file done differently I don't get the same result. I wonder if this isn't linked to an error in the competitions created (a conflict in the fates, dates, team selections, etc.). In the past, the editor indicated an error that had nothing to do with the real one.

My educated guess is that it has to do with how some of the nations qualify for the competition. Since that nation not being run in the test, it doesn't deliver the team to the competition. Only issue is that I don't have a clue which nations that could be.

What I don't understand is that, for example, I create a classic championship without playoffs or any other fantasy and everything works, but as soon as I add a playoff to the same championship I get this error message.

Does it happen to run on any Champions League qualifying dates? Or alter that in any way (possibly not sending enough teams)? Stage 3 of the Europa League (in the first couple of seasons at least) gets losing teams from the CL qualifiers, so I'd guess that's not finishing in time for the Europa League stage 3 setup

• 1 month later...

It's really late since fm24 is out, but I think I fixed it!

I removed all the teams from registered teams in Europe league, verified and got this time champions league error. So I removed all the registered teams from there too but this time I casually wanted to check better the teams, so I saved the file and reverted back the changes. Then verified to see what stage gave that error but magically the file got verified .-.

I will test some seasons and let yall know 

Nevermind as expected this ****ed the Europa League..random teams enter directly into group stage while others start from qualification stage without any criteria 😭

Edited by RazorITA