How could this tactic be so disastrous?

Tactic doesn't look horrendous, but with red card (if this screenshot is from the game), and Adams being tired, I could see the team get exploited down the wings. Get Stuck in could lead to issues out wide as your players might be making loads of fouls out wide in defence

Familiarity is low (but I guess it might be start of season), so that's another reason for things to go wrong

The first thing I would look at: Does this happen quite often? If it was an one off event, I wouldnt care too much, as it might be down to luck or bad performance.
In terms you suffer quite often from conceding a lot of goals, I would primarily look at your transitional and defensive settings. 

A few things you might take into account:

• You ask your team to perform a high risk defensive transition by counter pressing immediately after possession was conceded. Just from the looks of your formation, you wont be able to provide defensive pressure in the final third without heavily disrupting your shape. Also there is noone to protect the space in front of your defensive line, while your midfielders move up to press the opposition. 
  • After transitioning into the defensive phase, your team will fall back into a mid block, which isn't bad at all, but gives space to the opposition to build their attack. However, you ask your defensive line to sit high and compress space which might leave your team vulnerable behind the defesive line. And as you are not providing pressure in certain areas of the pitch, there might be opportunities for the opposition to use that space with a vertical pass behind the lines.

There are some things that are a little off, but I don't see a very bad tactic.

Your defensive setup could be to agressive and compressed at the same time.

(mid block - high line - gegenpress - counter) So you go in late, push your line high, 1 long pass and there is a opponent runner scoring.

I would check all the underlaying stats before I change it.

Also the AF is not the high line, high possession, It maybe better to play a pressing forward and attack from both flanks and deep.

The counter-press works on speed.  This means numbers being upfield to get around the ball.  Players being positioned deeper, as in a 4411, & in particular with a support role rh side doe not achieve this objective.  Being late into the counter-press is no-mans land and that is bad.  Commit to the counter-press or back away from it. 

2 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

The counter-press works on speed.  This means numbers being upfield to get around the ball.  Players being positioned deeper, as in a 4411, & in particular with a support role rh side doe not achieve this objective.  Being late into the counter-press is no-mans land and that is bad.  Commit to the counter-press or back away from it. 

Agreed. You either press or you don't. Halfway measures are just asking for disaster.