To the people that find FM easy...

Would anyone consider showing me how you play?

I do ok but don't find it easy. I always play lower league and can get up to premier League in decent time. Never more than 2 seasons in one league...

Edited by djpdavey

23 minutes ago, djpdavey said:

I do ok but don't find it easy. I always play lower league and can get up to premier League in decent time. Never more than 2 seasons in one league...

I think you set your bar too high, promotion every other year is way overachieving IMO. Especially when it happens in every save on every edition of FM. Game management is a big factor IMO, spotting how the AI tries to score and stop them, notice when they change things up, and of course figure out what is and isn't working with your own setup in each particular game.

If you play FM for yrs and every single year you keep getting promoted after 2 seasons tops, it starts to feel hollow when the story of your career is the same every time, you just win win win and then you're no 1, no dramaturgy, no story line, just a constant success-story.

the way you watch games also helps. If you only watch key highlights then you are going to miss a lot of things same if you play with certain camera angles you won't be able to take not of the shape of your team properly.

If you have a lot of time I'll advice you to watch the first 10 minutes of games in full highlight mode (at least until you are confident with your tactic) and 2d or if you prefer 3d use one of the camera settings that show you almost the entire pitch and slow the speed at which the game is played. When you watch games try to think ahead of what you want your players to do so for example if one of your defenders have the ball you should already see where you want him to pass the ball, if he doesn't pass the ball in that direction then pause the game and ask yourself why, you can rewind as much as you like and just make a mental note of it, don't change anything yet. Do the same for when your team is defending think about where you want your players to be and why they are not there; if you see that you DM is out of position rewind to see what he was doing before your team lost the ball, maybe he left his position to go and press someone on the flank when he didn't need to move then maybe change his role from BWM or DM to A. Maybe you may notice that when you attack one of your players doesn't have anyone to pass to because other players are either too forward or too deep so you try and change the roles of the players around. When you watch the game like this you will notice that players behave very differently from each other even if people say you can't tell the difference. I just went back to FM 22 to start a save and I'm still in pre season and I've already noticed that when I play a particular person as a RB whenever there is a ton of space he will put in a low cross (which is what I want), the other player that plays there tends to dilly dally on the ball until someone else comes close for him to pass.

If you notice something don't change immediately until you've seen it as a repeated pattern. If your players are doing what you want them to do and you are creating chances and you go a goal or 2 down by luck (long shot, set piece or maybe player error) don't change anything, as long as they are doing what you want them to do and the chances are coming they will eventually score. If you concede a goal rewind it far back to see what went wrong, sometimes people make the mistake of thing that the player out of position at the time the goal was scored is the one at fault but if you go far back, you might see that the only reason he was out of position in the first place is because someone else was not where he was supposed to be so that player was covering for him

This is the camera angle I use when I want to play in 3D because there are somethings you can only see in 3D like what foot the players are using, it's easier to see where they are facing etc. The players look so small but that's not the point and I don't care about that, I care more about seeing the shape of the team at all times 

1585132800_cameraangle.thumb.jpg.b5a1d08fcd69b2cf820c1d8e5d54441a.jpg

Edited by DarJ

11 minutes ago, DarJ said:

the way you watch games also helps. If you only watch key highlights then you are going to miss a lot of things same if you play with certain camera angles you won't be able to take not of the shape of your team properly.

If you have a lot of time I'll advice you to watch the first 10 minutes of games in full highlight mode (at least until you are confident with your tactic) and 2d or if you prefer 3d use one of the camera settings that show you almost the entire pitch and slow the speed at which the game is played. When you watch games try to think ahead of what you want your players to do so for example if one of your defenders have the ball you should already see where you want him to pass the ball, if he doesn't pass the ball in that direction then pause the game and ask yourself why, you can rewind as much as you like and just make a mental note of it, don't change anything yet. Do the same for when your team is defending think about where you want your players to be and why they are not there; if you see that you DM is out of position rewind to see what he was doing before your team lost the ball, maybe he left his position to go and press someone on the flank when he didn't need to move then maybe change his role from BWM or DM to A. Maybe you may notice that when you attack one of your players doesn't have anyone to pass to because other players are either too forward or too deep so you try and change the roles of the players around.

If you notice something don't change immediately until you've seen it as a repeated pattern. If your players are doing what you want them to do and you are creating chances and you go a goal or 2 down by luck (long shot, set piece or maybe player error) don't change anything, as long as they are doing what you want them to do and the chances are coming they will eventually score. If you concede a goal rewind it far back to see what went wrong, sometimes people make the mistake of thing that the player out of position at the time the goal was scored is the one at fault but if you go far back, you might see that the only reason he was out of position in the first place is because someone else was not where he was supposed to be so that player was covering for him

This is the camera angle I use when I want to play in 3D because there are somethings you can only see in 3D like what foot the players are using, it's easier to see where they are facing etc. The players look so small but that's not the point and I don't care about that, I care more about seeing the shape of the team at all times 

1585132800_cameraangle.thumb.jpg.b5a1d08fcd69b2cf820c1d8e5d54441a.jpg

I'll try this out thanks

1 hour ago, djpdavey said:

Doesn't sound like you're doing too bad!

Other than that, here's some general tips I would give to anyone looking to improve at FM:

• Learn how to exploit the match engine (aggressive tactics tend to do the best, check out Knap's thread for some inspiration)
  • Look at the bigger picture instead of getting caught up on individual highlights (find out whether you're conceding too many goals or not scoring enough and adapt accordingly)
  • Personnel > Tactics (spend majority of your time on looking for better players, tactics become redundant once your squad is good enough)
  • Do manual scouting instead of relying on your scouts (scroll through youth international teams, top clubs from obscure nations, request reports on players that stand out because of their young age)

Mind you, if you're looking for immersion, these tips might not be for you. In that case, simply take it at your own pace and enjoy the game, but if you're looking strictly for better results, the above is where I'd start. Each to their own, some enjoy playing the game as realistically as possible, others enjoy blasting through seasons and get their enjoyment from outperforming the game.

2 hours ago, djpdavey said:

Would anyone consider showing me how you play?

Yeah youre doing well already. People that find it too easy are people that wouldnt spend more than 2 seasons in a league.

In real life its very rare for this to ever happen