Thoughts On 4-1-4-1 Idea That Becomes 3-2-5 In Possession (Thinking Chelsea As Basis)

Hello Everyone

Just wanted a an opinion on these roles before I test this out. Id be interested to see how this would work in FM23:

Out of possession:

1951165337_Screenshot2022-09-08at10_41_41.thumb.png.5d91410d54180654fdefcb8e0462d914.png

That becomes this when attacking:

589522764_Screenshot2022-09-08at10_42_54.thumb.png.26bc8ad7139751511ca6e2da97da38d3.png

Got a decent idea of team instructions, just wanted some opinions on the suitability of roles.

Rate my tactic seems to like it:

325368684_Screenshot2022-09-08at10_45_05.thumb.png.acef83dac03c5d4f0e71de8d9f1ae65b.png

Thanks Everyone!

I like what you're aiming for here, but it's not going to work out in the FM22 ME. Neither the WPs nor WMs roles will sit that deep and narrow, so you'll tend to get a wonky 3-1-6 shape (with the CMa and the MR competing for the right half-space) instead of the 3-2-5 you're looking for.

I also tend to really dislike the WBa/CWBa roles. While you will get the kind of positioning from them that you're looking for here, they have a really bad habit of behaving like mindless crossing bots regardless of player, TIs, and PIs. It feels like there's a zone near the byline where those two roles become physically incapable of considering any other action than a speculative cross; typically straight into the shins of a defender.

• 3 weeks later...

Consider having one of the full back to be inverted. At the very least, he'll be in a CM/DM position in possession.

Play one of the winger as WP as he sits more in/around the hole(like an AP would). Wm(s) won't sit as narrow as a cm would so if you're hoping for him to protect the backline, he may not do it.

As you're using chelsea, maybe you can play Hudson Odoi as traditional wingers. They're better than most wingback when it comes to 1v1 as the team/tactic is more possession oriented.

Il 8/9/2022 in 13:37 , Sneaky Pete ha scritto:

I like what you're aiming for here, but it's not going to work out in the FM22 ME. Neither the WPs nor WMs roles will sit that deep and narrow, so you'll tend to get a wonky 3-1-6 shape (with the CMa and the MR competing for the right half-space) instead of the 3-2-5 you're looking for.

I also tend to really dislike the WBa/CWBa roles. While you will get the kind of positioning from them that you're looking for here, they have a really bad habit of behaving like mindless crossing bots regardless of player, TIs, and PIs. It feels like there's a zone near the byline where those two roles become physically incapable of considering any other action than a speculative cross; typically straight into the shins of a defender.

While i agree with you on most of the things you said, a WB-auto with get further forward and cross less often will play quite close to a wb-a but without all those crossing. With those PIs it becomed my favourite role. 

For the right WM maybe he could use an inverted wingback in the spot right just over the wingback. But anyway, with a wm-d with stay narrow you should be able to create something like that, at least in the final third

21 hours ago, Andrew Marines said:

While i agree with you on most of the things you said, a WB-auto with get further forward and cross less often will play quite close to a wb-a but without all those crossing. With those PIs it becomed my favourite role. 

For the right WM maybe he could use an inverted wingback in the spot right just over the wingback. But anyway, with a wm-d with stay narrow you should be able to create something like that, at least in the final third

I've never really used any of the "Auto" roles as I really dislike the idea of mentality so fundamentally changing how a player behaves, but I'll take your word for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2022 at 07:37, Sneaky Pete said:

And they get killed in the match ratings for those low percentage crosses. They essentially require an assist to get a decent match rating, so you often end up with wingbacks dropping into poor form. The IWB role does not suffer from this issue, and even in a narrow formation, it seems to be more effective.

I've been using a 4-1-4-1 that morphs to a 3-2-5. This has worked well for me on FM20, FM21 and FM22. I use it as my basic shape and change players depending on what I want.

If I'm wanting a goal the DMd becomes a DLPs and the IWBs becomes IWBa. Its a very versatile formation and little changes can really change how it looks and plays.

I can play for 70% possession or change it to a Counter and sit back letting the opposition play around.

image.jpeg.a86e9a137e8d86c1e788d0dcc9fdc097.jpeg

Well, I appreciated the video and liked the idea, even if nobody else seemingly does.

I've just been looking for something that gives me more control of a game, especially when leading and trying to make sure we don't concede stupid goals.
FM22 produces some beautiful football and goals but that does mean your opponents can whip those great crosses in too and it's difficult to keep them out.
Maybe this will help.

Thanks

On 13/10/2022 at 23:32, hehehemann said:

I've been using a 4-1-4-1 that morphs to a 3-2-5. This has worked well for me on FM20, FM21 and FM22. I use it as my basic shape and change players depending on what I want.

If I'm wanting a goal the DMd becomes a DLPs and the IWBs becomes IWBa. Its a very versatile formation and little changes can really change how it looks and plays.

I can play for 70% possession or change it to a Counter and sit back letting the opposition play around.

Any chance of sharing that tactic you are using?

Em 13/10/2022 em 18:32, hehehemann disse:

A while ago I tried to apply the same idea, but I was really bothered by the amount of wrong passes from my Winger. Do you have this problem too? 

7 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

A while ago I tried to apply the same idea, but I was really bothered by the amount of wrong passes from my Winger. Do you have this problem too? 

I feel there is a big difference in the way a Ws is used by the ME compared to a Wa.

Ws is more patient, plays off a pass earlier and isnt hyper about beating his man and getting crosses in. Wa just seems too hard coded to always dribble wide and cross.