Barn door with a 5 mile wide banjo

Anyone got any suggestions. Normally my moaning here relates to defensive inadequacies. This time is the strikers

in recent matches in my save my previously prolific attack of Kane, Vlahovic, Scarlett and Fati haven’t scored in 5 matches (whole team is blanking) They all get put through for multiple 1 on 1s each game (please sort SI) but they’re all suddenly hitting the stands rather than the goal. Like a collective memory loss on what a striker should be doing.

it’s not tactical, league top scorers previous season. Confidence is high. They’re being fed by the likes of pedri,olmo,neves etc so no lack of chances. The oppo gk will either have a worldy or they’ll miss hatfuls. It’s like the game has decided we’re too good so you’re going to play against 10 star Neur every week and miss open goals anyway.

Any advice cos they’ve all turned into Spurs version of Soldado

It's never wise to instantly dismiss tactics. Especially not if there reasoning is that it worked in a different season.

How many seasons are you in? How far into the season are you/which month? Where are you predicted to finish? How are you setting up? Are your players fatigued/jaded? How good are the chances they're getting in terms of xG? Are they often nervous or complacent?

6 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

It's never wise to instantly dismiss tactics. Especially not if there reasoning is that it worked in a different season.

How many seasons are you in? How far into the season are you/which month? Where are you predicted to finish? How are you setting up? Are your players fatigued/jaded? How good are the chances they're getting in terms of xG? Are they often nervous or complacent?

thank you @HUNT3R

6 seasons in. October. Top 4 prediction. CL winners last season. Defo not fatigued, learnt how to avoid that. xG strong. These are world class strikers consistently missing sitters. 

I think this is more reflective of limitations of the game tbh. It’s trying to say to me something is wrong but can only portray in ME through series of increasingly ridiculous missed chances. I play FM on Xbox so ability to affect form and morale is v limited. Also information provided through stats and analytics is probably not clear enough either. 

That's limited info, but I will say this:

7 minutes ago, SimonHoddle said:

It’s trying to say to me something is wrong but can only portray in ME through series of increasingly ridiculous missed chances.

You're trying to suggest that it's an artificial limitation. It isn't. There will be reasons for what is happening. Reasons that should reveal itself with enough analysis of what's happening.

It is possible that you received a significant reputation boost, being CL winners and so other teams will now be very cautious against you (more than before) and rightly so. That's a guess though as there's not enough info to go off.

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

That's limited info, but I will say this:

You're trying to suggest that it's an artificial limitation. It isn't. There will be reasons for what is happening. Reasons that should reveal itself with enough analysis of what's happening.

It is possible that you received a significant reputation boost, being CL winners and so other teams will now be very cautious against you (more than before) and rightly so. That's a guess though as there's not enough info to go off.

Actually that’s not what I’m trying to say. I am sure there are reasons.

getting world class strikers to miss a glut of one on one opportunities by skying the ball over the stand is the very clumsy way the current ME tries to represent the multiple issues that may be playing out. If, as CL winners, teams are more cautious why is it the fault of my strikers and not defences which are more difficult to break down?

Ofc it could be many other factors. I don’t think I have enough info either tbh. Which I think is a problem. If 4 world class strikers miss incredibly easy chances match after match there is a serious issue. IRL the manager would know. With us it’s guesswork. I think there should more clarity.

thank you again for your comments. 

Generally, my advice would be find a better team to manage :brock:

Beyond that though, if you have individual strikers not scoring for a prolonged period then I normally have a chat with them. If they’re confidence is high, they may be complacent, so go for the option that says “they need to start scoring if they want to stay in the first team”, if they’re feeling a bit fragile then go for the “I have faith in you to get back to your scoring ways”.

I'm paraphrasing a little bit but the options are similar to that.

Haha. Spot the gooner. Good luck in your battle for 6th this season.

obviously teams win things on FM that they don’t in IRL. having said that spurs came mighty close a few years back so not that unrealistic.

and no. The amount of clear one on ones in FM is v inconsistent with real football. Particularly at the highest level and the chances missed are unrealistic for the v best players.

to prevent too many goals the developers need to limit the amount of chances through great defending. Not watching Kane sky his 5th one v one of the match. Little bit silly…..like your comment ;-)

There's an awful lot of information missing from here:

What is your tactical setup?

How many shots are they missing?

what is their overcall conversion rate?

What's their shots on target ration

Whats their Xg compared to actual goals scored

Is your match Xg showing decent chances (0.15 or better per shot) or lots of poor ones?

This is my side in 2024, as you see the entire front 4 hit their xg or better

d0b262723142f28dff6f7198f7206fae.png

And the team punches well above xg

e6519ce7a821ea2e68c5aaf4ce12a34f.png

The key for me has always been

1) are we making good chances? If we're not, we need to reassess how to break down the current defence

2) if we are making good chances and missing, is it one player or multiple?

3) if its multiple, are we playing at too high a tempo and forcing players take on good chances too quickly? whats the current body language - is my side being complacent?

22 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's an awful lot of information missing from here:

What is your tactical setup?

How many shots are they missing?

what is their overcall conversion rate?

What's their shots on target ration

Whats their Xg compared to actual goals scored

Is your match Xg showing decent chances (0.15 or better per shot) or lots of poor ones?

This is my side in 2024, as you see the entire front 4 hit their xg or better

d0b262723142f28dff6f7198f7206fae.png

And the team punches well above xg

e6519ce7a821ea2e68c5aaf4ce12a34f.png

The key for me has always been

1) are we making good chances? If we're not, we need to reassess how to break down the current defence

2) if we are making good chances and missing, is it one player or multiple?

3) if its multiple, are we playing at too high a tempo and forcing players take on good chances too quickly? whats the current body language - is my side being complacent?

Get everything you said and perfectly understandable questions at the end. Tempo not too high, body language always good. It’s multiple strikers, players such as Kane, Vlahovic, Fati and a grown up brilliant Scarlett - missing multiple gilt edged chances. 

it’s not really a tactical question though. It’s more a statement that the current ME/ programme is trying to convey a problem but it’s doing it in the most slapdash way. 4 world class strikers consistently missing chances is faintly ridiculous. 4 world class strikers not getting those chances (either through unconfident movement, poor tactical set up, poor passing drills, lack of team cohesion, stronger defensive opposition) would be more accurate. 

31 minutes ago, SimonHoddle said:

Get everything you said and perfectly understandable questions at the end. Tempo not too high, body language always good. It’s multiple strikers, players such as Kane, Vlahovic, Fati and a grown up brilliant Scarlett - missing multiple gilt edged chances. 

it’s not really a tactical question though. It’s more a statement that the current ME/ programme is trying to convey a problem but it’s doing it in the most slapdash way. 4 world class strikers consistently missing chances is faintly ridiculous. 4 world class strikers not getting those chances (either through unconfident movement, poor tactical set up, poor passing drills, lack of team cohesion, stronger defensive opposition) would be more accurate. 

The ME is not trying to convey a problem in the most slapdash way, this really isn't how it works. 

When you say missing multiple chances, what's their conversation rates and Xg? And the Xg of the shots they are missing. Players will miss more big chances than they will score. That's why a clear cut chance is rated at 0.4, and good chance at 0.2. How are you playing? All of these these are relevant and contextual. The one thing I've noticed from everyone of your posts is that you're extremely quick to decide that the ME is the issue, which if that was the case, everyone should have the same issues more or less, which I'm not sure is the case. A lot of people are trying to get you to not assume so much and get better at reading the game. 

7 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The ME is not trying to convey a problem in the most slapdash way, this really isn't how it works. 

When you say missing multiple chances, what's their conversation rates and Xg? And the Xg of the shots they are missing. Players will miss more big chances than they will score. That's why a clear cut chance is rated at 0.4, and good chance at 0.2. How are you playing? All of these these are relevant and contextual. The one thing I've noticed from everyone of your posts is that you're extremely quick to decide that the ME is the issue, which if that was the case, everyone should have the same issues more or less, which I'm not sure is the case. A lot of people are trying to get you to not assume so much and get better at reading the game. 

Fair points. I’m not an analyst. More Harry Redknapp than Pep.

the issues I raise are based on visual evidence and often focus around the ME. I think it is a commonly observed perception that there are too many one on ones in 22. I also think I’m not alone when saying defending isn’t always represented brilliantly as defensive teams are frequently caught out with balls over the top.

this is a forum to articulate opinions. I take yours on board. I don’t think my opinions are entirely debunked.

31 minutes ago, SimonHoddle said:

Fair points. I’m not an analyst. More Harry Redknapp than Pep.

the issues I raise are based on visual evidence and often focus around the ME. I think it is a commonly observed perception that there are too many one on ones in 22. I also think I’m not alone when saying defending isn’t always represented brilliantly as defensive teams are frequently caught out with balls over the top.

this is a forum to articulate opinions. I take yours on board. I don’t think my opinions are entirely debunked.

it's (arguably too) easy to create chances in FM, but that doesn't stop you finishing them if you're creating good ones, as shown by my goals and rates of finishing above, nor will chances being tightened up suddenly mean you start finishing them, which was your initial issue. 

I get caught out over the top, once every 4-5 games. Which is considerably less than a side like City. So it's entirely possible, and we've had this discussion before. If I can do it, you can do it too. 

I'll leave you to think about, but you had the same sorts of issues before, and you're likely to run into them again if you're running the same courses of action. Might help with your frustration if you take a look at the information lots of people have give you in the numerous threads you've made. 

11 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

it's (arguably too) easy to create chances in FM, but that doesn't stop you finishing them if you're creating good ones, as shown by my goals and rates of finishing above, nor will chances being tightened up suddenly mean you start finishing them, which was your initial issue. 

I get caught out over the top, once every 4-5 games. Which is considerably less than a side like City. So it's entirely possible, and we've had this discussion before. If I can do it, you can do it too. 

I'll leave you to think about, but you had the same sorts of issues before, and you're likely to run into them again if you're running the same courses of action. Might help with your frustration if you take a look at the information lots of people have give you in the numerous threads you've made. 

I never ignore the information @themadsheep2001.  My game develops on the advice I receive. 

I think I’m being good here. Feels like you’re trying to bait me slightly. I have posted numerous threads yes. Would you prefer it if I didn’t? They’re always about different topics. If I’m a thorn in the side of SI I’m happy with that - I don’t mean to annoy any others. FM has no competition so needs strong feedback. It’s a great game ofc but it’s also imperfect ofc.. SI have made some serious mistakes in the last few years (IMO obs) and I think some of their work needs to be called to account 

Users are always kind and generous with their advice. Some even PM me with suggestions.  For that I’m grateful. But whenever I see what I believe to be glaring anomalies- yes I will call them out.

There's no bait at all. Just a observation on each time. No one has ever called the game perfect, nor will the game ever be perfect, so perhaps beside the point at little here. There is a common theme on assumptions on how the game work, hence me making the point, like I said, worth thinking about. And youre taking my help for bait I'll leave it at that 

23 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's no bait at all. Just a observation on each time. No one has ever called the game perfect, nor will the game ever be perfect, so perhaps beside the point at little here. There is a common theme on assumptions on how the game work, hence me making the point, like I said, worth thinking about. And youre taking my help for bait I'll leave it at that 

I’m genuinely appreciative of your help. 

44 minutes ago, SimonHoddle said:

But whenever I see what I believe to be glaring anomalies- yes I will call them out.

Please do so in the bug tracker though. If you want to report anomalies, bugs, or strange happenings, use that if you want SI to look at it. People in here can only try to help you change your own way of interacting with the game. Please use the correct place for each of these things.