Scouting - any benefit to leaving it to the chief scout?

Has anybody had success leaving their scouting to the chief scout? In my current save, I've tried both, and haven't really seen a huge difference in the number and quality of reports coming through. Since I haven't seen a massive difference, I'm wondering if it's worth spending all that time setting up individual assignments.

I just went through this on my game. I had left it to the chief scout for a few seasons, I presumed it would be fine, he was 20/20 in stats. I decided to change it myself for the new season and set up the scouts in nations I wanted.... So many more players come through now! Its night and day. 

So I think its worth it to manually assign where they scout. 

Also keep in mind, that the size of the selected database has a huge impact on how many players can be found.

The biggest benefit of setting up the assignments myself, is that I can be way more specific. However the chief scout does also deliver good results

General Focus: For age range and type of player you are looking for be as specific as possible. Also spend the time in scouting meetings to decide which players require more scouting. Otherwise, AI likes to scout oldies even with a focus.

I've never let the chief scout take control, so I don't know how that'd work, but I only see the players my scouts bring me, in the scouting centre. I don't use the player search, it feels like a bit of cheating for me and I don't like to do it.

Em 27/06/2022 em 13:36, Hootieleece disse:

General Focus: For age range and type of player you are looking for be as specific as possible. Also spend the time in scouting meetings to decide which players require more scouting. Otherwise, AI likes to scout oldies even with a focus.

But to be that specific, it only works by position, right? You can only do it one at a time, it's not possible to search for more than one position. At least that's the case in FM21, I haven't played FM22.

In FM 22, On the General Focus you can add you can add a more specific focuses and it will tell you if it lines up with the club vision. Since I did it with Wigan (League 1, under 23 year olds) I haven't seen any 30+ year old's in the scouting meetings. Also, when you have the recruitment meetings you can create focuses for specific positions and the General focus will be added by the AI for your approval.

• 2 weeks later...

I just leave it to chief scout. Set the focus to 15-17 and leave them at it. If I’m at a top club it works fine, miss out on a few gems which keeps it realistic. Might get one or two A rating wonder kids a season which stops me hoarding them.