Consistency

From what I understand, it improves primarily via time and success. So, if they have played in a lot of matches, and had a good support structure around them to make them very useful on average, their consistency will slowly increase.

I have also read that people have success improving consistency by chatting directly with players in regards to what they did wrong in regards to a match. For example, if it's a striker who in one match made 10 attempts on goal, and none of them was on target, tell them that they are wasting chances, and to stop that. If they don't even have any attempts on goal, tell them that they're failing to get into position. It's worth periodically going through the match stats and picking at players games if something is really off. Now, sometimes they can't help it. Took over a team a few weeks back and found that my left back was missing all his headers. Criticized him, which he gratefully accepted, and then I noticed he was 5'2" tall with a jumping reach of 3 and a heading of 4. Amazing stats elsewhere, but poor guy was never going to be able to win a header. Now I kind of wonder if just complaining about that every other week to him would build his consistency up like crazy. I just ended up fining him so much his determination and work rate went up about 5 points a piece, and he was nearly playing for free.

36 minutes ago, rsihn said:

No.  Players gain consistency as they play matches.   Most players will gain 2-4 points in consistency over their career provided that they get a decent amount of playing time.  

It needs to be added that it's not just from playing matches. Performing consistently well could see Consistency increase.

It's also possible that Consistency can decrease.

1 hour ago, Justin Tomlinson said:

Ahh, so perhaps I am a little too trigger happy off loading strikers with poor consistency?

A player or two who is inconsistent isn't necessarily the end of the world. He'll/They'll still have a consistent (or at least, not inconsistent) team around him/them.

Having 8 out of 11 inconsistent players could pose issues.

5 hours ago, Justin Tomlinson said:

Ahh, so perhaps I am a little too trigger happy off loading strikers with poor consistency?

Think the main thing is whether they need to be consistent to be good for you. Part of that's whether they're great for your level (in which case probably still OK on bad days) or just about good enough (in which case they'll be poor on match days.

Part of that's attribute distribution. Physical attributes aren't affected by consistency, so a powerhouse is still a powerhouse on a bad day (and even if his finishing is really rubbish on those days he might get some unmissable chances). On the other hand, if there's a guy who's only real ability is poaching and he regularly has days when his finishing and movement are below his best... he's probably not as clinical as you want him to be.