Guide: How to make a tournament use host stadium capacity rules

I looked everywhere and this guide does not seem to exist. I've never seen the solution posted on the forum anywhere and I've been trying to do this for YEARS and finally sussed it yesterday.

1. Make tournament like normal.

2. Go to the "<comp name>/Stadium Rules/Host Nation" panel in advanced rules.

3. Activate the "Host Nation" box and choose the rules.

4. Activate the "Possible Host Nations" box and fill it with the countries you'd like eligible as hosts.

5. Activate the "Host Stadium Pool" box.

6 Activate the "Stadium Pool" just below it, add a new entry to it and select the entry so the details panel appears.

7. Activate "Start year" and put the year you want these rules to start. You can also use "End Year" to end use of the rules if you wish, though I just left it blank.

8. Activate the "Capacity Requirements" box and add your entries. This should be pretty self explanatory. From top to bottom, the game will choose stadiums based on these entries.

Two things to keep in mind, these options are all on the same panel, and the other "stadium pool" panels just don't seem to work, at least for me, unless you're using specific stadiums.

It should look something like this:

stad1.thumb.png.c3f1c847f0a4e9cd5bf14a92307849ed.png

It takes a few seasons for it to kick in properly, and if you set the stadiums required too extreme, it might just use the same country over and over again, but yeah.

very good explanation:thup:

wo things to keep in mind, these options are all on the same panel, and the other "stadium pool" panels just don't seem to work, at least for me, unless you're using specific stadiums.

its not just you mate:D, that is an issue I have seen for years, left me scratching my head and trying multiple ways around setting up stadiums to use in this manner

7 horas atrás, Dave Fairbairn disse:

Two things to keep in mind, these options are all on the same panel, and the other "stadium pool" panels just don't seem to work, at least for me, unless you're using specific stadiums.

You can use stadium pool panels and on game (final, semi-final, etc) select stadium 0

Edited by TH3 K1LL3R

Ah, so the default World Cup must be coded in a similar way? Picks suitable stadiums or builds something like "[city name] Community Arena" in a big city to host games. Sometimes I'll use FMRTE to move a local team into that stadium once the World Cup is complete (or the day before the next season update day), doesn't seem realistic that they'd keep playing in some poor quality ground while a shiny new World Cup stadium sits unused around the corner (mind you, that sounds like South Africa and Brazil)

Yes, I loaded the World Cup into advanced rules and investigated. This is how I got it working. Previous versions didn't have these settings in place even if you looked at the rules.

I think there may be more to it than I have given here, I think making sure the main stadium panel has "Minimum Stadium Capacity" set to the capacity set to biggest stadium required, with "Minimum Seating Capacity" set to the smallest stadium size required. You'd also have to set stadium capacities for any stage that uses home stadium match rules to stop every team having their home matches massive stadiums. I have a working tournament(British Cup with semis and final at 3 different host venues) using these rules with the correct stadium selection that I could upload as an example if anyone wants.

Thanks for this.

I have another method using the stadium pool screen that has the same effect for most competitions. Doing it this way fixed the North American Champions League for me though! My other way seems to pick the host nation first, then the stadium, by setting it up this way (with no host nations set) it seems to just go straight to the capacity requirements. No more Champions League finals in a 1000 seater stadium in the Bahamas! :D

Yes, I was having that issue with my British Cup with Northern Ireland getting chosen as host and games between Premiership sides being held at grounds of less than 5,000. This way it won't pick Northern Ireland in a typical soak, and on the occasion it does, it makes stadiums fit for purpose before the tournament starts.

On 20/03/2022 at 23:52, Wolf_pd said:

My World Cup file for FM20 works slightly different, the difference being mainly that I did account for building new stadiums.

The World cup caused me some headaches and only on the stadium side as I binned Qatar totally and found that for the group stages every game was played in one stadium only lol

the knockouts were fine the stadiums I set up were used correctly but the group games honestly did my head in, think I tried virtually every possible option

• 1 year later...
On 20/03/2022 at 12:19, rusty217 said:

Thanks for this.

I have another method using the stadium pool screen that has the same effect for most competitions. Doing it this way fixed the North American Champions League for me though! My other way seems to pick the host nation first, then the stadium, by setting it up this way (with no host nations set) it seems to just go straight to the capacity requirements. No more Champions League finals in a 1000 seater stadium in the Bahamas! :D

Hi mate,

Would you be able to let me know how you did this?

13 hours ago, Slyfiskmand said:

Hi mate,

Would you be able to let me know how you did this?

It's been awhile, so I can't remember if this is it exactly, but this is what I'm using now.

20230531154815_1.thumb.jpg.80c7c0cf4b7f868ab7309c5ee818d89f.jpg

The Sort Stadiums part just off the bottom of the screen is set to Random (kind of has to be done this way for variety, if you picked Capacity then it would just be the same 10 stadiums every year unless expansion/new builds happen). So it picks 10 random stadiums in North America with a min capacity of 40k. It then randomises them again due to the ticked Randomise Stadiums.

Then:

20230531155050_1.thumb.jpg.eabef91e1a6388de8225e0f3698579af.jpg

To set the stadium that ends at the top of the list after randomising (Stadium 0) as the Host stadium for the tournament.

And finally:

20230531155207_1.thumb.jpg.05fe83bf8f6f073d802a2e00064ab04e.jpg

The final is set to use the Host stadium.

Only a couple years into my save so far, but the 2023 CCL final was held at Olympic Stadium (Montreal Canada, 72k capacity), 2024 at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (Oakland USA 64.2k capacity) and 2025 is due to be held at Estadio BBVA (Monterrey Mexico, 52k capacity) so it seems to be working.

2 hours ago, rusty217 said:

It's been awhile, so I can't remember if this is it exactly, but this is what I'm using now.

20230531154815_1.thumb.jpg.80c7c0cf4b7f868ab7309c5ee818d89f.jpg

The Sort Stadiums part just off the bottom of the screen is set to Random (kind of has to be done this way for variety, if you picked Capacity then it would just be the same 10 stadiums every year unless expansion/new builds happen). So it picks 10 random stadiums in North America with a min capacity of 40k. It then randomises them again due to the ticked Randomise Stadiums.

Then:

20230531155050_1.thumb.jpg.eabef91e1a6388de8225e0f3698579af.jpg

To set the stadium that ends at the top of the list after randomising (Stadium 0) as the Host stadium for the tournament.

And finally:

20230531155207_1.thumb.jpg.05fe83bf8f6f073d802a2e00064ab04e.jpg

The final is set to use the Host stadium.

Only a couple years into my save so far, but the 2023 CCL final was held at Olympic Stadium (Montreal Canada, 72k capacity), 2024 at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (Oakland USA 64.2k capacity) and 2025 is due to be held at Estadio BBVA (Monterrey Mexico, 52k capacity) so it seems to be working.

Thanks mate!

I've tried exactly as the screenshots but still getting stadiums with lower capacities. One of the finals was held in a stadium in Luxembourg with around 9000 capacity etc.

Under Stage, then final, round, do I put stadium as host or stadium 0?

Edited by Slyfiskmand

On 18/03/2022 at 16:38, Dave Fairbairn said:

I looked everywhere and this guide does not seem to exist. I've never seen the solution posted on the forum anywhere and I've been trying to do this for YEARS and finally sussed it yesterday.

1. Make tournament like normal.

2. Go to the "<comp name>/Stadium Rules/Host Nation" panel in advanced rules.

3. Activate the "Host Nation" box and choose the rules.

4. Activate the "Possible Host Nations" box and fill it with the countries you'd like eligible as hosts.

5. Activate the "Host Stadium Pool" box.

6 Activate the "Stadium Pool" just below it, add a new entry to it and select the entry so the details panel appears.

7. Activate "Start year" and put the year you want these rules to start. You can also use "End Year" to end use of the rules if you wish, though I just left it blank.

8. Activate the "Capacity Requirements" box and add your entries. This should be pretty self explanatory. From top to bottom, the game will choose stadiums based on these entries.

It should look something like this:

stad1.thumb.png.c3f1c847f0a4e9cd5bf14a92307849ed.png

It takes a few seasons for it to kick in properly, and if you set the stadiums required too extreme, it might just use the same country over and over again, but yeah.

Hi bud, I've this exactly but still having issues where I get stadiums way below capacity.

"8. Activate the "Capacity Requirements" box and add your entries. This should be pretty self explanatory. From top to bottom, the game will choose stadiums based on these entries."

I didn't quite understand that. I notice for capacity requirements you have 2 entries. Does that mean the system will be pick stadiums with capacities between 40000-60000?

2 hours ago, Slyfiskmand said:

Thanks mate!

I've tried exactly as the screenshots but still getting stadiums with lower capacities. One of the finals was held in a stadium in Luxembourg with around 9000 capacity etc.

Under Stage, then final, round, do I put stadium as host or stadium 0?

Host, although if you're using Fixture Dates they will override whatever your put in the Stage section, hence why I only included the Fixture Dates in the screenshots.

• 1 month later...
On 19/03/2022 at 23:41, Dave Fairbairn said:

Yes, I loaded the World Cup into advanced rules and investigated. This is how I got it working. Previous versions didn't have these settings in place even if you looked at the rules.

I think there may be more to it than I have given here, I think making sure the main stadium panel has "Minimum Stadium Capacity" set to the capacity set to biggest stadium required, with "Minimum Seating Capacity" set to the smallest stadium size required. You'd also have to set stadium capacities for any stage that uses home stadium match rules to stop every team having their home matches massive stadiums. I have a working tournament(British Cup with semis and final at 3 different host venues) using these rules with the correct stadium selection that I could upload as an example if anyone wants.

@Dave Fairbairn If you're still willing, I'd love to see that file. Can you please share?

I'm creating a similar cup for FM23, albeit I'm separately also pulling the Irish, N. Irish, and Welsh teams into the Scottish leagues (to make a Celtic nations pyramid) and then inviting guest teams for the cup (EPL, teams from other Celtic regions like Galicia and Brittany). Thanks!