Overwhelmed by attributes

Hi

I get overwhelmed when looking at a squad for the first time and how to pick the best players or decide a system.

if I’m looking at CBs for example I don’t know the difference between

CB 1 - 12 tackling 12 positioning 9 anticipation

CB 2 - 9 tackling 12 positioning 12 anticipation 

CB 3 - 12 tackling 9 positioning 12 anticipation 

same goes for midfielders and attackers.

I just see walls of numbers, often that only differ by 1-2 points and get overwhelmed.

Does anyone have a nice method for assessing a squad?

6 minutes ago, Leccy said:

I like the attributes views on the squad screen & then sort highest to lowest in key attributes. I normally filter out the positions I'm looking at then see what players are popping up at the top (& bottom) of the lists. I try not to sweat small attribute differences

Then the coach reports & assessments. The stars give you an overall idea, then the reports (& player personality) give you an idea of the numbers you can't see. Then the player's PPMs & what roles they suit. That should all give you an idea of the sort of players you have

If it's a small amount of gradation between the attributes for centre back A and centre back B, then honestly I wouldn't worry about it. What becomes more important is their role suitability, their hidden attributes like consistency and imp matches, personality etc.

If centre back A gets nervous every game or can't seem to put a decent run of form together compared to centre back B then you have your answer. Take a look at your player reports.

I would also look at their character, work rate, bravery, speed and strength. Also traits are important. Then would pick better overall. So it would be more complex choice for me.

For i.e.I have a regen inside forward which is decent, but far from star and he gets insane ratings every season because of his ambition and speed I guess? He is outperforming Ansu Fati and my other world class inside forward. He is already legend for my club... His composure and finishing are far from perfect but he is insane in his role.

Sorry for spamming with screenshots - but just to compare - Nikitovic vs Almeida. You would pick Almeida every time, but actually Nikitovic is performing better (even though both have consistent performer report).

FM - 1.jpeg

Obraz 15.01.2022, godz. 22.43.jpg

Edited by Lewis Stewart

В 15.01.2022 в 12:13, Leccy сказал:

Hi

I get overwhelmed when looking at a squad for the first time and how to pick the best players or decide a system.

if I’m looking at CBs for example I don’t know the difference between

CB 1 - 12 tackling 12 positioning 9 anticipation

CB 2 - 9 tackling 12 positioning 12 anticipation 

CB 3 - 12 tackling 9 positioning 12 anticipation 

same goes for midfielders and attackers.

I just see walls of numbers, often that only differ by 1-2 points and get overwhelmed.

Hi,

I always check final review (A,B,C,D) in scout report. If it low , I try to check what is problem. Last word by manager, but it useful if you skip something.
If scout reccomend this player too, in most cases I buy him

The best way to assess a squad is to watch them play and base it on what you see. Sometimes it is better than getting hung up on attributes. If I have 3 similar DCs fighting for 2 spots, the 2 I see playing the best will get to play. 

There are a couple of other tricks to this.

1. Check the attribute comparison with respect to all teams in your league. This gives you an instant overview of a) what your squad is good/bad at compared to other teams and b) how good you are with respect to other teams. It is a global overview, but you can use it to adjust your expectations. If you are average across the board, expect mid table. If you are close to the best, expect to challenge. Obviously tactics will play a role, but it is a good guide for getting a quick overview of a new squad.

2. Decide which key attributes you always want your players to have. For me it is determination, work rate, teamwork. These should always be good for any player I want to sign. They are the first things I look at when I sign a player. If a player looks great but has a determination of 3, I am not interested. Then you can start looking deeper, which brings me to the next point

3. Make a hierarchy of attribute groups, even if it is a loose one. For example I do not give care one bit if my CBs have good finishing. I do not really care if my striker can mark people. This is where you use the highlighted attributes for each role. These are the important ones to take a note of. Use this, and focus on them. I used to write down the attributes I wanted in my players so I could look for them, until this became something I just knew to do. Maybe try something like this. You can always change and adapt the list as you learn new things or decide you want different things from players.

4. You do not need to micromanage attributes to the nth degree. In your example, all the CBs are gonna be about as good as each other. The one with poorer heading probably should not start if the opposition has a 210cm striker who is great in the air. The one who cannot mark as well should not be asked to mark tightly as a last line of defence. The one who is bad at tackling should not be put into a position where they need to tackle. That is really as far as it goes. Mostly you would not notice.

5. I'll emphasise again, watch what your players do on the pitch as a guide. This is the most important thing, always. 

I try to think about what my CB will be responsible for in the match and go from there. If there’s a speedy striker then I am not playing the older, slower CB in my squad; A tall target forward then I need a brave, aggressive, and tall CB. 

I try recruiting with a certain “profile” of core attributes for each position and that allows other attributes to make the difference in team selection. 

Recruit based on attributes that compliment the way your tactic plays.