Give me a light to save my save

In the first season in the Bundesliga I managed to finish in 5th, but after improving the team with better quality players the performance is terrible, I can't reverse the situation. My team is not bad, and I am not exaggerating in terms of instructions at any time. I have no cards up my sleeve :(

image.png.76c84438d1554f68ea87795e5320aa21.png

image.png.34957818ef9e117cbb7b971d53926065.png

What did you identify as your main weakness? 

• Creating quality chances? what’s your xG and average shots per game
  • converting chances? How many goals did you score compared to your xG
  • Is your defense not solid enough? What is the average xG against you

7 minutos atrás, CARRERA disse:

What did you identify as your main weakness? 

• Creating quality chances? what’s your xG and average shots per game
  • converting chances? How many goals did you score compared to your xG
  • Is your defense not solid enough? What is the average xG against you

Well, it’s not difficult to explain this because all my sectors seem to be in trouble, my team doesn’t create much, I feel that it’s quite passive and tends to suffer defensively

Your tactic seems fairly well balanced, however, it looks very much like a controlling one, which might be an issue considering your team's quality. You've conceded 10 goals in your last 3 games and you're not scoring many either, so I think you may be asking too much from your team.

In terms of defensive solidity, flanks are probably your main issue. WBs tend to be quite aggressive even on Support duty and you're using two of them. While there's a DLP on the right providing some cover for Williams, there's no one covering for Suleyman Lus on the left; with Very Attacking mentality (Positive + Attack duty) and PIs like Get Further Forward and Roam From Position, Alena will pretty much only be concerned about bombing forward. I think a simple change of MEZat -> CARsu/BBMsu could sure things up quite a bit. In a tactic like yours, your main attacking threat is coming from overloading the flanks anyway, so your central midfield can focus on being defensively responsible first and foremost.

In addition to that, I think you could also benefit from lowering your mentality a notch; Positive -> Balanced. That will make your play more calculated, give your WBs more time to get up in support and switch your CMs individual mentalities from Positive to Balanced, making them more defensively responsible; considering the amount of goals you're leaking, that would be my main concern for now.

To then balance your right side's individual mentalities out a tad (lower the gap between IFat and WBsu), I would also use Overlap Right instruction, giving you the following mentality structure:

Cautious

Balanced                     Positive

Balanced Balanced

Defensive

Balanced Defensive Defensive Positive

Hope that gives you some ideas.

7 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

Well, it’s not difficult to explain this because all my sectors seem to be in trouble, my team doesn’t create much, I feel that it’s quite passive and tends to suffer defensively

Its a big jump for Regensburg being in bundesliga in 2023, so you did a really good job there. 

I have to bother you with some more data, but what is your team predicted to finish at? 
i would also be interested what the strength of your squad are compared to other teams in the league. Is it a rather physical squad (work rate, aggression, bravery, strength, jumping, height, pace/acc,...) or are they rather intelligent players? (Teamwork, anticipation, flair, positioning, off the ball, vision, decisions)?

The tactic itself looks good and makes sense. Maybe the tactical style does not suit the type of players you have? Or maybe you just need a couple of subtle tweaks in terms of instructions to make it click (e.g. things like underlap left or/and overlap right, split block etc.). Or perhaps you just need to switch the mentality to Balanced, for example?

Both flanks looks like they're could be an issue.

On the left: The Mezzala and the Inverted Winger will likely get in each others way in the final third, as they both move into the half space. Alena is a great player and suits the Mezzala role very well, so try and give him some more room to operate. You could either ask the IW to 'stay wider' via the PI or change his role the a Winger. This would not only prevent them from getting in each others way, but it will also dray the opponents fullback wider aswell - thus making the real dilema for the opposition. 

On the right: Your Inside Forward may end up isolated at times. I used a similar set-up with a DLP flanked by a WB (S) and IF (A) - I found it didn't work particularly well. You're asking a lot of DLP to find the Inside Forward to due to distance between them that is created by the duties. Remember that you're playing with 'shorter passing', so the DLP will look for shorter options if he can. If you asked the DLP to play more direct passes, that may help. However this may cause him to play a lot of 50/50 balls to the IF (A). Could work out really well on occasion, however can see it gifting possession away often. Might be something you want, might not be?

12 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

after improving the team with better quality players the performance is terrible

This is also an area where people tend to make mistakes. Buying "better quality players" does not necessarily mean a real improvement. Because what if you buy players that are nominally better than your existing ones, but do not really fit into your system and tactical style? 

For example, if a team like Burnley buys a player like Messi, would it really be an improvement or rather an irrational waste of money.

6 horas atrás, Zemahh disse:

Your tactic seems fairly well balanced, however, it looks very much like a controlling one, which might be an issue considering your team's quality. You've conceded 10 goals in your last 3 games and you're not scoring many either, so I think you may be asking too much from your team.

In terms of defensive solidity, flanks are probably your main issue. WBs tend to be quite aggressive even on Support duty and you're using two of them. While there's a DLP on the right providing some cover for Williams, there's no one covering for Suleyman Lus on the left; with Very Attacking mentality (Positive + Attack duty) and PIs like Get Further Forward and Roam From Position, Alena will pretty much only be concerned about bombing forward. I think a simple change of MEZat -> CARsu/BBMsu could sure things up quite a bit. In a tactic like yours, your main attacking threat is coming from overloading the flanks anyway, so your central midfield can focus on being defensively responsible first and foremost.

In addition to that, I think you could also benefit from lowering your mentality a notch; Positive -> Balanced. That will make your play more calculated, give your WBs more time to get up in support and switch your CMs individual mentalities from Positive to Balanced, making them more defensively responsible; considering the amount of goals you're leaking, that would be my main concern for now.

To then balance your right side's individual mentalities out a tad (lower the gap between IFat and WBsu), I would also use Overlap Right instruction, giving you the following mentality structure:

Cautious

Balanced                     Positive

Balanced Balanced

Defensive

Balanced Defensive Defensive Positive

Hope that gives you some ideas.

First of all thank you very much for your feedback.

My initial intention was to have more control of the actions, not to use unnecessary long balls,.The use of WB's was precisely for me to have more aggressiveness and possession in more advanced sectors, taking advantage of their technical quality. I agree with you about the coverage on the left side, the intention was to balance the penetration of the team, an IF (a) on the right and the Mezzala (a) on the left, since my Striker deeper. I'm just afraid of being too predictable, because I have more penetration on the right than on the left

I will readjust my approach to something less aggressive, your combination of roles can make my team less vulnerable and more balanced and it makes perfect sense

4 horas atrás, CARRERA disse:

Its a big jump for Regensburg being in bundesliga in 2023, so you did a really good job there. 

I have to bother you with some more data, but what is your team predicted to finish at? 
i would also be interested what the strength of your squad are compared to other teams in the league. Is it a rather physical squad (work rate, aggression, bravery, strength, jumping, height, pace/acc,...) or are they rather intelligent players? (Teamwork, anticipation, flair, positioning, off the ball, vision, decisions)?

I can later confirm this data more accurately. But in terms of attributes compared to other teams, my team is not bad

2 horas atrás, Luizinho disse:

Both flanks looks like they're could be an issue.

On the left: The Mezzala and the Inverted Winger will likely get in each others way in the final third, as they both move into the half space. Alena is a great player and suits the Mezzala role very well, so try and give him some more room to operate. You could either ask the IW to 'stay wider' via the PI or change his role the a Winger. This would not only prevent them from getting in each others way, but it will also dray the opponents fullback wider aswell - thus making the real dilema for the opposition. 

On the right: Your Inside Forward may end up isolated at times. I used a similar set-up with a DLP flanked by a WB (S) and IF (A) - I found it didn't work particularly well. You're asking a lot of DLP to find the Inside Forward to due to distance between them that is created by the duties. Remember that you're playing with 'shorter passing', so the DLP will look for shorter options if he can. If you asked the DLP to play more direct passes, that may help. However this may cause him to play a lot of 50/50 balls to the IF (A). Could work out really well on occasion, however can see it gifting possession away often. Might be something you want, might not be?

But if I use 'stay wider' in IW I would have to use a FB instead of the WB on the left, correct? I was curious now with your observation about the combination of DLP + IF (a). I would like to continue using the IF (a) to have more penetration, so the use of an AP would be more interesting?I didn't want to change my style to something more direct

2 horas atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

The tactic itself looks good and makes sense. Maybe the tactical style does not suit the type of players you have? Or maybe you just need a couple of subtle tweaks in terms of instructions to make it click (e.g. things like underlap left or/and overlap right, split block etc.). Or perhaps you just need to switch the mentality to Balanced, for example?

I won 2 matches yesterday after replacing my striker who had a trait that didn't match the role, had a positive offensive effect, although not so much defensively, the use of balanced can help me with that, Zemahh also recommended

1 hora atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

This is also an area where people tend to make mistakes. Buying "better quality players" does not necessarily mean a real improvement. Because what if you buy players that are nominally better than your existing ones, but do not really fit into your system and tactical style? 

For example, if a team like Burnley buys a player like Messi, would it really be an improvement or rather an irrational waste of money.

:lol: 

I have to agree, but I "reinforced" the team in all necessary positions, although that striker I mentioned didn't match my style

Edited by Nick_CB

8 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

I will readjust my approach to something less aggressive, your combination of roles can make my team less vulnerable and more balanced and it makes perfect sense

In contrast, that's your current mentality structure:

Balanced

Positive               V. Attacking

V. Attacking Positive

Cautious

Positive Cautious Cautious Positive

Your choice of roles and duties is actually pretty good (personally, I'd only change MEZ, as explained above), but your team most likely isn't good enough for such aggressive approach.

4 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

But if I use 'stay wider' in IW I would have to use a FB instead of the WB on the left, correct? I was curious now with your observation about the combination of DLP + IF (a). I would like to continue using the IF (a) to have more penetration, so the use of an AP would be more interesting?I didn't want to change my style to something more direct

Both ideas sounds sensible.

Just remember that using an AP will focus the play through that player.

8 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

I can later confirm this data more accurately. But in terms of attributes compared to other teams, my team is not bad

I was asking, because it is very important to understand why things are not working out. There is nothing wrong with your roles & duties or your TI's in general, but still there must be something why things are not working. The first season into a new league is often not very representative, as your players are still euphoric from promotion and the other teams dont know your playing style yet.

Without seeing anything about your players abilities, i can just assume that after being promoted with a very average team (regensburg) last season and with some 2 1/2* players (which is always set in relation to your club and some other factors) in your starting 11, your team might proberbly not as good as you might think after finishing fifth last season. 

To execute a short passing game, you need intelligent and techical players. And with a positive mentality you ask your players to defend more aggressively, which requires a brave, hard working and well positioned team. So right now im in question wether your desired style does really fit your players. 

Its always good to know what your players are capable of doing. Also its nessecary to keep in mind what can be expected by your team, where media prediction comes in handy.

Unfortunately my team is from bad to worse
Being dominated by a similar team in terms of attributes, I believe that my team is even better in more positions

image.png.b1ba3ede89ab68bde0cdcf498c26ab14.png

Edited by Nick_CB

2 minutos atrás, CARRERA disse:

I was asking, because it is very important to understand why things are not working out. There is nothing wrong with your roles & duties or your TI's in general, but still there must be something why things are not working. The first season into a new league is often not very representative, as your players are still euphoric from promotion and the other teams dont know your playing style yet.

Without seeing anything about your players abilities, i can just assume that after being promoted with a very average team (regensburg) last season and with some 2 1/2* players (which is always set in relation to your club and some other factors) in your starting 11, your team might proberbly not as good as you might think after finishing fifth last season. 

To execute a short passing game, you need intelligent and techical players. And with a positive mentality you ask your players to defend more aggressively, which requires a brave, hard working and well positioned team. So right now im in question wether your desired style does really fit your players. 

Its always good to know what your players are capable of doing. Also its nessecary to keep in mind what can be expected by your team, where media prediction comes in handy.

image.png.f2046dd5ea75ffe7486b5819b09985cd.png

I think you are completely right about the euphoria of the first season in the Bundesliga

But I have players quite capable of working a possession style well, it's really disappointing

image.png.85d9d9f3e8ea4f6ff646ba5c82906bd9.png

image.png.6f852f8ff84220d662575dc69a8097a3.png

image.png.a98319a6dc7a37f33588241b8bdb8ffd.png

image.png.9cbaf4a8c9d2e3db145af76496f7d022.png

28 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

So it’s better for you to understand my current team

As you can see, my team is not bad. And with a balanced tactic I shouldn't be experiencing any serious problems

Thanks and yes, you should not struggle to stay in league. Flair and off the ball is quite low, but still average. Thats not the reason tho. Honestly, there is nothing very obvious flawed around your players or tactics which could be fixed here on the forums i think.

If you want to, you can send me your save file via pm (upload it soemwhere) so i can look at whats happening on the pitch and help you fixing it. 

Edited by CARRERA

7 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

Unfortunately my team is from bad to worse
Being dominated by a similar team in terms of attributes, I believe that my team is even better in more positions

I see you switched a few roles around (Doyle now playing on the left and Dany Mota switched from IWsu to IFsu). Can you screenshot your final tactic again?

5 horas atrás, Zemahh disse:

I see you switched a few roles around (Doyle now playing on the left and Dany Mota switched from IWsu to IFsu). Can you screenshot your final tactic again?

I changed because Dany has more ability to finish. The other changes were overlap (left) and balanced mentality

Edited by Nick_CB