Training Position Role Question: What exactly is playing position?

I'm setting up my individual player training and I'm trying to figure out which roles I want some of my players to train as.  But something I have never understood is, what position exactly are they training at if you set it to playing position? 

For example, I have a player who's a natural DM. But I do not use a DM and I have the player playing as a CM.  In the individual training screen, I can select a role for midfielder (center), but at the top of the dropdown show DM - Playing position.  What exactly does it mean by "playing position"?  Does it mean he trains automatically as whatever role and position he played last or whatever he's natural at, such as DM?  

6 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

But something I have never understood is, what position exactly are they training at if you set it to playing position?

• Playing Position = Focus on all attributes required for position (e.g. DM)
  • Specified Role = Focus on all attributes required for Role (e.g. Anchor Man)
  • Additional Focus = Extracurricular focus (i.e. work on certain attributes after training)

Playing Position/Specified Roles are only worked on when specified (Individual Roles).

Additional Focus is worked on all the time.

Example:

d2CD1r1.jpg

Ive watched some youtube videos on this kind of thing recently, and the general consensus unless im totally wrong is that a player gets more comfortable in a position on the field through game time playing there, NOT through you training him to play there.

It seems like you might as well "train" your wingbacks on complete wingback, because that will train all the skills of a wingback. If you train simply on wingback defend, you arent training all the attributes the player might need.

26 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

Ive watched some youtube videos on this kind of thing recently, and the general consensus unless im totally wrong is that a player gets more comfortable in a position on the field through game time playing there, NOT through you training him to play there.

It seems like you might as well "train" your wingbacks on complete wingback, because that will train all the skills of a wingback. If you train simply on wingback defend, you arent training all the attributes the player might need.

It's a combination of training and playing in said position. You don't necessarily need to train them in a role - you can select one that gives you the attribute spread you desire - but you should preferably be using a role that is in a position they will be playing.

Using your example, if your wingbacks played at a full back position but you wanted to train them as CWB vs normal WB for the attribute spread, you'd select CWB + preferred duty under the LB/RB individual training. If they play in the DM strata instead you'd opt for LWB/RWB as the position. You get positional familiarity and the desired attribute focus this way.

I appreciate the responses but I think you are misinterpreting what I'm asking.  In my snapshot, take a look at Paulo Roberto. In my lineup, he plays as an MC - BBM.  If you look to the right, it says he's training as a DM - Playing position.  Does the DM mean that he's training as a DM despite that his playing position is MC?

Screenshot 2021-01-12 125346.png

30 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yes. 

How positive are you?  And does the position ever change, and/or how do i change it?.   

for all, I'm fully aware that I can choose a specific role for my player, but I'm mostly trying to figure out how this particular setting works

54 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

How positive are you?

Almost absolutely. 

55 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

And does the position ever change, and/or how do i change it?

The position in which you play a player within your tactic is one thing, while the position in which you train him is another. But you can of course both play and train him in the same position - that's up to you. You can select the position in which you want to train a player in his individual training screen. 

Another option is to train a player in a particular role in order to improve a certain set of his player attributes - i.e. those highlighted for the given role. 

You can also play a player in one role (e.g. DM on defend duty) but train him in another (e.g. volante on support or attack duty).