When would you want the trait 'likes ball played into feet'?

From the description, it sounds like it should increase the frequency of the player receiving a pass to feet rather than anything else.

The question is, in what circumstances would you want this trait, and what sort of players would you want to have it?

Other people might have different ideas and It isn't a trait I would want in a player personally, but someone who is playing as an AP-s or Enganche would seem sensible.  Someone you don't want to make runs in behind but instead want them to receive the ball in tight areas and then create something.  Another option would be a creative DLF who is strong but not particularly tall or fast.

2 minutes ago, WhyMe said:

Other people might have different ideas and It isn't a trait I would want in a player personally, but someone who is playing as an AP-s or Enganche would seem sensible.  Someone you don't want to make runs in behind but instead want them to receive the ball in tight areas and then create something.  Another option would be a creative DLF who is strong but not particularly tall or fast.

Thanks for the reply, and that makes sense. I might try to get it on some of my deeper midfield playmaker type players. I've seen it on a few fast strikers in the game, which is what confused me mainly, as it didn't really seem like a good fit.

Can be good on certain target men and deep lying forwards - ones who are maybe less about headers but still good at receiving possession under pressure and holding up play. Strikers who like it played to feet and then turn with their first or second touch to beat their man are pretty common and it can be really deadly in an agile, well balanced, strong forward.

Personally I don't want my attackers with decent size and jumping reach to have this habit. In my save I have two right-footed wingers playing on the left(IF-A) to kind of emulate Cristiano Ronaldo. They have quite similar attributes and habits. The only difference is one with likes ball played to feet. He struggles in the whole season, while the other played just as brilliant as I want him to be, scoring multiple cut in long shots, frequently making smart runs into the box or channels to get headers and score.

Yeah absolutely it is a liability for a player who is good in the air - I believe it makes players more likely to pass to his feet than his head, which is of course counterproductive. For similar players who are otherwise good target men/DLFs but lack prowess in the air compared to technique it is a great trait.

To my mind, it's basically the opposite of "pass into space", so logically if it was a tactical instruction it would be used in the opposite situations. Therefore, I'd want it on:

- Not overly tall, slower forwards who wouldn't necessarily win headers and don't have the pace to run onto a through ball. Bergkamp types. Maybe older guys who've lost a step physically but are still technically good players on the ball.

- Players who play in an area of the pitch where there isn't going to be much space, like AMC or more attacking MCs, who are great on the ball but maybe not the most mobile. Players who are great with the ball at their feet, but should be making through balls, not running onto them.

Spurs Heung Min Son has this trait, I think it means he excels when getting the ball to feet.

Doesn't mean he can't receive the ball well in other ways just that he is devastating when getting the ball in this manner.

Shouldn't be taken as a negative.

• 1 year later...