[FM21] Worldwide Champions League [UPDATED 19/3/2021 for 21.4]

• 2 months later...

I'm already working on updating this for 21.3: I want to run a quick test before I release but it looks like I should be able to put it up today or tomorrow.

Unfortunately they still don't seem to have fixed the bug with updating items on Steam Workshop but if you're reading this thread that clearly isn't a dealbreaker! 

So this took a little longer than I had planned but here's the 21.3 update for both the static and dynamic versions.

A couple of additional bug fixes:

• FIFA Super Cup colour scheme should be less eye-tearing
  • One more desperate try at stopping teams from being drawn into both the CL and WL
  • Squad registration bugfix

Worldwide Champions League (static).fmf Worldwide Champions League (dynamic).fmf

• Dallan changed the title to [FM21] Worldwide Champions League [UPDATED 26 Feb 2021]

Hey so i loaded your files alongside Daves South America and Asia megapack and the African extended pack and i have ran 2 test sims 1 with an Angola league and 1 with a south African league and get a crash error at the end of June 2021 every time. using the static file. Im goinjg to do a test with dynamic to see if its fixed. I love the idea of this file btw i really hope i can get it working.

EDIT: Dynamic seemed to get past this point and is still simulating. But i want to use the Static as i dont like the janky FM coeffecint system to have a legaue lose a spot entirely so static would avoid this i assume.

Edited by ratio1618

I prefer static as well honestly - I like the idea of dynamic but the compromises to make it work in the current FM are messy. The static version doesn't have the spot-shifting stuff, so nobody should lose spots. 

My test with both versions got past those dates but I'm sorry you're having crashes. Do you know the exact date in June they're happening? 

5 hours ago, Dallan said:

I prefer static as well honestly - I like the idea of dynamic but the compromises to make it work in the current FM are messy. The static version doesn't have the spot-shifting stuff, so nobody should lose spots. 

My test with both versions got past those dates but I'm sorry you're having crashes. Do you know the exact date in June they're happening? 

Towards the end i have continue game time out on so it speeds past it too fast i should turn it off and check. It might be the datafiles i have loaded as i have quite  a few  custom fmfs loaded. Ill try isloate and identify the issues. But for testing sake i tried with the default Dutch league the Angolan league Ghanaian league nad the default south african league all 4 tests just had the one league loaded.

Ok so i tested it with all my custom files removed and it simmed past the date and i tested again and added all my custom FMFs and it crashed again so it isnt playing nice with one of my files, i will keep isolating because i really want this to work haha

EDIT: Tested with both of Dave's megapacks loaded only and it crashed. 
EDIT: Tested with African Extended and it did not crash, im going to test with Daves South America file turned off maybe its opening and closing stages causing it in a custom league?

EDIT: Ran it with a German pyramid from steam the Nordic Royal league and lionel messis English T11 as well as a USA tier 10 system and some of the daveincds Mods and it ran fine.
Seems to be an issue with daves megapack but ive never seen a editor file crash the whole game before

EDIT: I tired with Weirys Pack and it seems to be running fine. Maybe need to check over Daves files maybe  a rule he set is crashing the game with your files, poggers time to start a save i think

Edited by ratio1618

On 27/02/2021 at 15:09, ratio1618 said:

BTw really really out standing work with the editor, looking over it it seems you know quite a bit more than most people here. Where did u learn?

Mostly, six years of trial and error, because as you surely know, the documentation for the editor is terrible and the bugs are worse. Steam tells me I have like 10,000 hours combined in FM games since I took over this file and I can assure you I've spent more of that time in overnight test saves than actually playing the damn game. 

Thanks for the compliment though!

Re your crashes, I was going to say that I ran a test overnight using Africa Extended, the Royal League Collection, a few of pr0's custom leagues, a couple of my personal custom leagues, and various database-only edits (basically, the setup I use in my personal games), and it got past that date fine as well.

My guess is that there's something in one of the files in dave's megapack that clashes with what I'm doing here (possibly it reuses one of the same two defunct competitions in the database that I do, or it re-enables or depends on one of the continental competitions I disable?) , but I can't promise I'll be able to take the time to pin it down. 

9 hours ago, dave7867 said:

registration for CL big issue in december

ie you register your max 25 man squad then asks you to do again which i did but confirm button is blacked out  testing only cant go further

The glitchy duplicate squad registration screen is a known bug, it's showed up again mostly because I changed squad registration to avoid a completely different bug where the rules would simply vanish at random between one season and the next.

(Honestly, squad registration/custom fixture rules in general has been THE most annoying issue I've faced in this mod because of the way the editor and the game handle them, and if I were smart I'd just remove it entirely, but it's A Thing I Like so instead I put effort into making it work)

Rambling aside, this has been happening for years and there's nothing in the editor to explain why it's happening, but here's a workaround that works for me every time:

1. Once the squad registration prompts appear in your inbox, do not save the game. If you do, once you reload it the longstanding SI bug that erases custom squad registration rules will trigger, and since you'll then be "outside the registration window", this other bug will trigger, you won't be able to confirm changes, and you'll be stuck.
  2. Register your squad the first time.
  3. Respond to the second prompt, then before you do anything else, hit auto select.
  4. Then make whatever changes you want to the players but do not change the dropdown above the squad list that will normally change which competition you are registering the squad for. Ideally, do not hit undo or clear either, but I can't confirm whether these will get you stuck.
  5. Confirm your selection again.
  6. Both prompts should be clear and you should be able to continue.
Edited by Dallan

• 3 weeks later...

So, good news: in 21.4 SI finally fixed the editor bug preventing me from updating my Steam Workshop entries.

Bad news: I need to reverify the files again to work with the 21.4 database, so here they are (both down here, the OP, and Steam Workshop should be updated).

There are no other changes, so no need to restart a current save or to re-download if you don't plan to start a new save with the 21.4 database.

Worldwide Champions League (static).fmf Worldwide Champions League (dynamic).fmf

• Dallan changed the title to [FM21] Worldwide Champions League [UPDATED 19/3/2021 for 21.4]
On 19/03/2021 at 18:33, Dallan said:

So, good news: in 21.4 SI finally fixed the editor bug preventing me from updating my Steam Workshop entries.

Bad news: I need to reverify the files again to work with the 21.4 database, so here they are (both down here, the OP, and Steam Workshop should be updated).

There are no other changes, so no need to restart a current save or to re-download if you don't plan to start a new save with the 21.4 database.

Worldwide Champions League (static).fmf 32.98 kB · 3 downloads Worldwide Champions League (dynamic).fmf 33.28 kB · 7 downloads

Hey,

I'm currently trying to get an CONCACAF file sorted which basically makes the competitions a bit bigger, has a group stage before it and also allows teams from aruba etc to enter the group stage.

An issue I'm currently having, and have done on other custom continental rules before is that if I set the season update for the continental comp to be say the 1st of November... then this takes teams from the final season in USA for example (so top 4 in the MLS) which is great and as intended, but would only take the team currently in 1st (about 5 games into a season) in Arube, when the aim would be for it to be the winner from the season before. Do you have any ideas on a work-around for this? :D

Also I had never heard of this dynamic league rep bug before with custom comps! If I'm using a north american custom comp, do you know if it will stop dynamic league rep changes across in Europe? Or just that continent? 

Any answers much appreciated!

Edited by Domoboy23

• 2 weeks later...

@Domoboy23Sorry to take so long to see this!

For your first question: how are you currently qualifying teams to your custom competition? I've never run into that issue using the normal custom continental rules that I use in this file, but the base game's CONCACAF rules are a weird jury-rig that I've never entirely understood. I suppose that if those rules aren't working for you, you could edit the domestic leagues to qualify winners directly to your competition and use the settings there to dictate which year of your competition they qualify for- basically "push" teams from the domestic league instead of having your continental comp "pull" them  - but a) obviously that would be a lot of work to do for every nation and a compatibility nightmare.

For your second question: I think it's a by-continent thing, so if there's a continent you don't change in your save, dynamic league rep will work as normal there.

If I may ask, I have two editing questions I can't figure out for the life of me

1- how were you able to make it so that teams from every continent can parricipate in these cups, instead of just from one single continent?

2 - what do you do in the editor that causes change between static and dynamic reputations?

Ps! The site tells me that the files are unavailable for some reason...

Cheers

Edited by Morgan Kane

• 3 weeks later...

I'd written a reply to this but I guess I didn't click Post, sorry. 

On 05/04/2021 at 01:21, Morgan Kane said:

If I may ask, I have two editing questions I can't figure out for the life of me

1- how were you able to make it so that teams from every continent can parricipate in these cups, instead of just from one single continent?

I set these cups to a "blank" continent, both in the Continent page of the advanced club continental rules and on the competition's database entry (well, for the database part, I actually edited cups that were already set that way: the Club World Cup, an extinct entry for the Toulon Tournament, and the Viareggio Tournament) so the game treats them as "World" or "Intercontinental" tournaments and doesn't block entry from other continents.

On 05/04/2021 at 01:21, Morgan Kane said:

2 - what do you do in the editor that causes change between static and dynamic reputations?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question: The changes between my two versions don't change how reputation works,. they just change the way my competitions pick teams to account for leagues changing reputation (even though, because I remove the standard continental competitions, those changes apparently do not actually happen).

Speaking of which:

On 10/04/2021 at 06:47, deivis10 said:

Do you eliminate the Champions League? Is it possible to create a version of the patch without deleting continental competitions?

I do eliminate the CL. I believe it would be, technically, possible to create a version without doing so (basically, I have a set of blank rules that I apply to the existing continental competitions to make sure they don't run, so it would just be a matter of removing those blank rules from the file) but practically, scheduling these comps,  the existing continental competitons and domestic leagues would be a nightmare and I wasn't interested in trying to do so or in troubleshooting the game's attempts to do so.

11 hours ago, vietthaidinh93 said:

I played dynamic version however I didn't see the changing of Competition reputation.  Is it FM or file fault?

A little of both:

On 29/11/2020 at 23:12, Dallan said:

Known Issues

The system to allocate CL and WL spots dynamically based on league reputation has some unavoidable issues because of the way it has to be implemented in the editor:

• Firstly and most importantly, I'm not sure that dynamic league reputation even WORKS when you're using custom competitions like this one (I'm aware of the longstanding bug with it when you're using custom continental competitions, and I suspect it applies to this one as well. We'll see I guess. But it might well be that the choice is just between one static layout and another (at least until SI let us use these two features together)

Basically, the dynamic league reputation system turns out to depend on using the normal continental club competitions, and won't work with customized ones - so the dynamic version doesn't work like it should because the league reputations don't change. Basically I keep the dynamic version available as a proof of concept/in case SI ever patch the game so that it'll work - I don't even use it myself.

You indicate that there are two world competitions, but only the FIFA Champions League appears to me. In Spain they play it from 1st to 6th place, the 7th place does not play any world competition, is that correct? There is no World League.

Edited by deivis10

23 hours ago, deivis10 said:

You indicate that there are two world competitions, but only the FIFA Champions League appears to me. In Spain they play it from 1st to 6th place, the 7th place does not play any world competition, is that correct? There is no World League.

In Spain, 7th should only get into a competition if the Copa Del Rey winner finishes top 6 in the league.

If the World League isn't appearing when you start a game but the World CL is working correctly, what start date are you using? If it's early enough, the competition might just not have been set up yet - the World League is set up after the first two qualifying rounds of the CL finish (because the first qualifying round for the WL is between the teams that lose in those CL rounds) so it may not appear before then. 

• 5 months later...