[FM21] Derby County - Why manage the Rams? / How are you getting on?

Stuniverse

12 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

🏆 Congratulations, @karanhsingh. What an amazing season!! 🐏

11 hours ago, Scott_Gooner said:

Congratulations @karanhsingh .  

Thanks guys!!

10 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Brian Clough was one of the all-time great managers. Good luck 🍀 if you decide to do a Derby County save - of course, I’m biased, but I think you’d enjoy it 😄🐏

Rooney isn’t as fast or as mobile as he once was and, whilst it’s probably not his best position any more, Rooney can still do a job up front. With the Rams at the start of the save, unless you sign a striker or two, you won’t have too many options up front so you’ll be able to play Rooney as a striker if you want...

I agree - don't think Rooney would cut it up front. Physical attributes are the most important I feel in the game. For me in season 1, Whittaker was the best striker option.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

For me in season 1, Whittaker was the best striker option.

We're only in early November on my save but I'm struggling to get Morgan Whittaker (or anybody for that matter) firing as a striker. How did you utilise him, @karanhsingh? I'm primarily playing a 4-1-2-3 (4-3-3) formation.

Edited by Stuniverse

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

We're only in early November on my save but I'm struggling to get Morgan Whittaker (or anybody for that matter) firing as a striker. How did you utilise him, @karanhsingh? I'm primarily playing a 4-1-2-3 (4-3-3) formation.

Same formation. I just played him as an AF looking to get him in behind. Jozwiak as AMR and either Lawrence or Ibe as AML. 

Was using pass into space as a TI as well. 

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Same formation. I just played him as an AF looking to get him in behind. Jozwiak as AMR and either Lawrence or Ibe as AML. 

Was using pass into space as a TI as well. 

Thanks for your input, @karanhsingh.

On my save, I’ve tried Jozwiak on both the left and the right, he is a regular starter but his performances are disappointing. That said, we’re still short of numbers with Lawrence only just back fit, Waghorn only recommended for 45 minutes, and Kazim-Richards, Duncan and Ibe still unavailable due to my pre-game Editor changes.

Out wide I’ve been using Jozwiak and alternating Whittaker and Holmes, with Lawrence recently although he’s not fully match fit yet.

Up front it’s been Whittaker, Rooney, Hector-Ingram (who has scored his first goal for us) and even Stretton. Kazim-Richards is available now. I’d really like Whittaker to make the shirt his own but, so far, none of the strikers I’ve tried have impressed although, to be fair, we’re struggling that much for goals I haven’t given any of them a decent run of consecutive starts up front.

Edited by Stuniverse

5 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Thanks for your input, @karanhsingh.

On my save, I’ve tried Jozwiak on both the left and the right, he is a regular starter but his performances are disappointing. That said, we’re still short of numbers with Lawrence only just back fit, Waghorn only recommended for 45 minutes, and Kazim-Richards, Duncan and Ibe still unavailable due to my pre-game Editor changes.

Out wide I’ve been using Jozwiak and alternating Whittaker and Holmes, with Lawrence recently although he’s not fully match fit yet.

Up front it’s been Whittaker, Rooney, Hector-Ingram (who has scored his first goal for us) and even Stretton. Kazim-Richards is available now. I’d really like Whittaker to make the shirt his own but, so far, none of the strikers I’ve tried have impressed although, to be fair, we’re struggling that much for goals I haven’t given any of them a decent run of consecutive starts up front.

Well you will eventually need a better striker just like I did. Maybe look around in January for who is available. 

Look forward to tracking your progress! 

Derby County: Take 2!!

Sorry in advance, as this might be a long post.

House Rules:

First transfer window off.

Only sign players that are found by my Scouts.

Started the season with certain players unavailable, until the date they joined Derby IRL.

July 27th, 2020:

All the staff that were with Derby at the start of the game, have currently remained in their roles. I added Paul McGuinness as my Assistant Manager, Anthony Colbert was added as a coach and some additional scouts were added: Derek Langley, Kevin Reeves, Russell Hullett. The roles of Recruitment and Performance analysts were also filled and some U-23 and U-18 coaches were added.

For preseason, I left the friendlies that were already in place and added games against BMG and RB Salzburg. With a few older players unavailable, this gave me the chance to look at some of the younger players at the club, especially those who play on the wing.337769129_DerbyCounty_Fixtures.thumb.png.fb93821e27cd349150d51e93e851d621.pngDuring preseason, we got some nice results, but were hammered by RB Salzburg, although we did create chances but were extremely wasteful!

The EFL Cup match vs Shrewsbury was our first competitive game and sadly it did not go to plan! Shrewsbury only had 1 chance in the game and took it, we created chances and were sloppy, Whittaker managed to finally take one and the game went to penalties.647102514_DerbyCounty_Fixtures-2.thumb.png.23163888586926e0c7626aab8d30f913.png

The Championship season started on a great note for us, with a 3-0 win vs Reading and some of the young wide players at the club were involved in the first few games as the senior players were still unavailable. A.Brown scored a wonder goal vs Luton to tie it up vs Luton. The game against Blackburn were were Armstronged!! We managed to keep him quiet for most of the game, but he escaped us twice and made us pay twice. The first time he caught a napping Wisdom at RB out and crossed for Downing to make it 1-1. Then in the 90th minute he burst through the centre of our defence, which parted like the Red Sea and he smashed home a powerful drive from just inside the 18 yard box.

We have been pretty tough at the back and look solid, although we have given up goals in the 90th minute vs Blackburn and Watford. The Norwich goal was also late in the game, so maybe an issue with concentration in the squad or poor tactics from me and wasteful finishing from the players.

But we find ourselves 2nd in the table but a few points behind Brentford.

Morgan Whittaker has been on fire and hopefully we've found our striker for the future.

Out wide, we got some solid showings from Stretton, Hector-Ingram and some useful cameos from A.Brown and Wilson. Now we've got Waghorn and Lawrence back and they've taken the starting roles, but Stretton and Hector-Ingram are coming on from the bench and hopefully will be able to replace Lawrence and Waghorn in the starting XI soon. 

The midfield has been solid with Rooney, Shinnie, Bird, Sibley and Knight alternating in the 3 roles. Shinnie thus far has been the stand out.

In defence, Marshall has been outstanding and the centre back pairing of Clarke and te Wierik have been solid. Although Bielik is now back and may challenge te Wierik for the right-sided CB. At fullback, Byrne has nailed down RB and Buchanan is starting at LB.

We haven't had any major injuries, just the standard day to day stuff, hopefully that will be the extent of out injuries. But with our squad almost at full strength, just Ibe remains unavailable at present, we probably have some depth available to myself should we pick up a couple of injuries.

2125524555_DerbyCounty_Fixtures-3.thumb.png.7b46560a06b0e886a3a5514afa1b3b39.png

Players used thus far:

1903998506_DerbyCounty_Players.thumb.png.da07de4eae645bbc2d161a0bb63e54f5.png1906736783_DerbyCounty_Players-2.thumb.png.ddff3692b44b229efcba53a98b136198.png

Going forward, I'm hopeful we can remain tough at the back and take more of the chances we're creating, as we have been pretty wasteful up until this point. Although if you'd said I'd be second with 1 defeat after 9 games, I'd have taken it.

Next update will be at the end of January(in game, natch!).

If you have any feedback regarding this post, the layout or any other information you'd like me to include, then let me know.

11 hours ago, Scott_Gooner said:

Derby County: Take 2!!

Sorry in advance, as this might be a long post.

House Rules:

First transfer window off.

Only sign players that are found by my Scouts.

Started the season with certain players unavailable, until the date they joined Derby IRL.

July 27th, 2020:

All the staff that were with Derby at the start of the game, have currently remained in their roles. I added Paul McGuinness as my Assistant Manager, Anthony Colbert was added as a coach and some additional scouts were added: Derek Langley, Kevin Reeves, Russell Hullett. The roles of Recruitment and Performance analysts were also filled and some U-23 and U-18 coaches were added.

For preseason, I left the friendlies that were already in place and added games against BMG and RB Salzburg. With a few older players unavailable, this gave me the chance to look at some of the younger players at the club, especially those who play on the wing.337769129_DerbyCounty_Fixtures.thumb.png.fb93821e27cd349150d51e93e851d621.pngDuring preseason, we got some nice results, but were hammered by RB Salzburg, although we did create chances but were extremely wasteful!

The EFL Cup match vs Shrewsbury was our first competitive game and sadly it did not go to plan! Shrewsbury only had 1 chance in the game and took it, we created chances and were sloppy, Whittaker managed to finally take one and the game went to penalties.647102514_DerbyCounty_Fixtures-2.thumb.png.23163888586926e0c7626aab8d30f913.png

The Championship season started on a great note for us, with a 3-0 win vs Reading and some of the young wide players at the club were involved in the first few games as the senior players were still unavailable. A.Brown scored a wonder goal vs Luton to tie it up vs Luton. The game against Blackburn were were Armstronged!! We managed to keep him quiet for most of the game, but he escaped us twice and made us pay twice. The first time he caught a napping Wisdom at RB out and crossed for Downing to make it 1-1. Then in the 90th minute he burst through the centre of our defence, which parted like the Red Sea and he smashed home a powerful drive from just inside the 18 yard box.

We have been pretty tough at the back and look solid, although we have given up goals in the 90th minute vs Blackburn and Watford. The Norwich goal was also late in the game, so maybe an issue with concentration in the squad or poor tactics from me and wasteful finishing from the players.

But we find ourselves 2nd in the table but a few points behind Brentford.

Morgan Whittaker has been on fire and hopefully we've found our striker for the future.

Out wide, we got some solid showings from Stretton, Hector-Ingram and some useful cameos from A.Brown and Wilson. Now we've got Waghorn and Lawrence back and they've taken the starting roles, but Stretton and Hector-Ingram are coming on from the bench and hopefully will be able to replace Lawrence and Waghorn in the starting XI soon. 

The midfield has been solid with Rooney, Shinnie, Bird, Sibley and Knight alternating in the 3 roles. Shinnie thus far has been the stand out.

In defence, Marshall has been outstanding and the centre back pairing of Clarke and te Wierik have been solid. Although Bielik is now back and may challenge te Wierik for the right-sided CB. At fullback, Byrne has nailed down RB and Buchanan is starting at LB.

We haven't had any major injuries, just the standard day to day stuff, hopefully that will be the extent of out injuries. But with our squad almost at full strength, just Ibe remains unavailable at present, we probably have some depth available to myself should we pick up a couple of injuries.

2125524555_DerbyCounty_Fixtures-3.thumb.png.7b46560a06b0e886a3a5514afa1b3b39.png

Players used thus far:

1903998506_DerbyCounty_Players.thumb.png.da07de4eae645bbc2d161a0bb63e54f5.png1906736783_DerbyCounty_Players-2.thumb.png.ddff3692b44b229efcba53a98b136198.png

Going forward, I'm hopeful we can remain tough at the back and take more of the chances we're creating, as we have been pretty wasteful up until this point. Although if you'd said I'd be second with 1 defeat after 9 games, I'd have taken it.

Next update will be at the end of January(in game, natch!).

If you have any feedback regarding this post, the layout or any other information you'd like me to include, then let me know.

That's a good start, although am surprised you aren't using Jozwiak more.

I am not sure if anyone wants to see this so putting it in a spoiler, I looked up the CA and PA of the Derby academy boys as I was curious as to how far they have come along. I guess @Stuniversewould know whether these guys have a fixed or variable PA in the game.

Spoiler

Player Name | CA | PA

Jayden Bogle 134 149

Max Bird 140 140

Louie Sibley 135 143

Jason Knight 139 139

Morgan Whittaker 131 136

Liam Delap 142 158

Will Hughes 141 155

Lee Buchanan 131 132

Archie Brown 127 134

Jordan Brown 113 113

I am happy that we have done a good job in making the most out of our players and getting them all to get close to their potential. It was always a key reason to do this save with Derby.

Edited by karanhsingh

Another Derby team has made it to the Premier League!!!

113410451_Year1.png.34f038315aee5a8ce263646c04f42919.pngTable1.png.5b6ff9ef276b632457aefa333ff8700d.png

1525393838_Schedule2.png.0380a8eeb1e0a372b5fdf15cbc6c252f.png

1632798357_Schedule2_1png.png.6ecbb538d37de8ea296a4a71d8fdb96d.png    

It was super tight down the stretch some much so that 1 point separated the top team to 4th place going into April. We were in 1st place for awhile until Blackburn over took us after the Preston game in late April. On the last game of the season we took the top spot only to lose when Blackburn scored a 92nd minute goal to win the league. All in all great season and I'm proud of the team and what we were able to accomplish. On deadline day I was going to buy American RB DeAndre Yedlin for Newcastle but since Waghorn and Lawrence hadn't left yet I couldn't afford Yedlin's wages. What I could afford to do was recall Jack Marriott, Marriott has always been a favorite of mine in FM and since he wasn't getting much time out on loan I brought him back. Marriott then went on to score 14 goals for us in 12 games. Player of the season for me has definitely on loan CB Matt Clarke, he was a rock defensively and had a knack for scoring goals off free kicks. Curtis Jones has huge on the left wing finishing with 11 assists one behind team leader Rooney with 12. The academy kids really shined, Whittaker was our leading scorer 17 goals, Knight and SIbley were a great pair in the midfield and Bird played very well all over, Buchanan has taken over at LB and had a great season.

1433954968_Squad1.png.c65b8bb1dbe7e5a02ba90a24304cd1a4.png 

1314018785_Squad1.2.png.46bc2eabd42e4db02913fdb544f9fb96.png

880961710_DerbyYI1.png.fb161b7259f136bb0294094585d5784e.png

Our so called "Golden Generation seems extremely disappointing. Striker Grant Mkhwanazi is billed as the top prospect but I think the real top prospect is FB Karl Leslie.

21388640_YI1TP.png.37aadd2e2b661241d841edcd7c975728.png

331272782_YI1RTP.png.00ac97cb0f99f9c8af978401e3ddea01.png

During the season we said happy trails to LB Craig Forsyth who wanted a new challenge, who is staying in Championship joining Bristol City for 600k up front with a total overall of 1.2 mil. Also Assistant Coach Paul McGuinness leaves to supposedly greener pastures joining Everton as their Assistant Coach.

2045943090_Budget1.png.52de03e7489e7cb13b7d55acbe85dc71.png

Some money to spend but on who?

We currently only have one Premier League quality player according to our coaching staff (Jason Knight) so there is work to be done everywhere. I'm willing to trust Marriott and Whittaker at striker for a season but if I can't reloan Curtis Jones or someone similar I have big holes on both wings. If I can reloan Matt Clarke the CBs SHOULD be fine. Buchanan has earned the right to start at LB. I'm a little nervous at RB with Bryne and Wisdom at RB but it's not my biggest concern. David Marshall had a solid year but he's 36 and I can't imagine will hold up in the Premier League. So both wingers, a GK, and something shiny is what I'll be looking at in the offseason. 

Edited by JaytheGreat

Well done and congratulations on the promotion!

From my experience, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Whittaker and Buchanan can all make the step up. Nice to see you got Marriott firing too.

Marshall declines quite quick so would definitely look at a new GK. Good luck!

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

That's a good start, although am surprised you aren't using Jozwiak more.

He was unavailable for me until the middle of September and had picked up a few minor injuries, been out with blisters twice for around 5 days a time. Had played the first 2 games in November for me and has been pretty, pretty good. So he’ll get an extended run in the starting XI going forward.

6 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Well done and congratulations on the promotion!

From my experience, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Whittaker and Buchanan can all make the step up. Nice to see you got Marriott firing too.

Marshall declines quite quick so would definitely look at a new GK. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm excited to leave the Championship behind hopefully for good. 

I haven't really scouted many GKs so that is the top priority right now.

39 minutes ago, JaytheGreat said:

Another Derby team has made it to the Premier League!!!

Congratulations, @JaytheGreat

40 minutes ago, JaytheGreat said:

What I could afford to do was recall Jack Marriott, Marriott has always been a favorite of mine in FM and since he wasn't getting much time out on loan I brought him back. Marriott then went on to score 14 goals for us in 12 games.

Wow! As good as a new signing that.

41 minutes ago, JaytheGreat said:

Player of the season for me has definitely on loan CB Matt Clarke, he was a rock defensively and had a knack for scoring goals off free kicks. Curtis Jones has huge on the left wing finishing with 11 assists one behind team leader Rooney with 12. The academy kids really shined, Whittaker was our leading scorer 17 goals, Knight and SIbley were a great pair in the midfield and Bird played very well all over, Buchanan has taken over at LB and had a great season.

Great to hear the Academy players are doing well.

41 minutes ago, JaytheGreat said:

Some money to spend but on who?

We currently only have one Premier League quality player according to our coaching staff (Jason Knight) so there is work to be done everywhere. I'm willing to trust Marriott and Whittaker at striker for a season but if I can't reloan Curtis Jones or someone similar I have big holes on both wings. If I can reloan Matt Clarke the CBs SHOULD be fine. Buchanan has earned the right to start at LB. I'm a little nervous at RB with Bryne and Wisdom at RB but it's not my biggest concern. David Marshall had a solid year but he's 36 and I can't imagine will hold up in the Premier League. So both wingers, a GK, and something shiny is what I'll be looking at in the offseason. 

Sounds like you have a busy summer transfer window ahead of you.

Good luck Back in the Big Time!

21 minutes ago, JaytheGreat said:

Thank you! It looks like you'll be right behind me if your team keeps playing the way they are.

Hopefully! But we’re not creating a lot of chances per game, just ‘lucky’ that we are giving up even fewer chances per game. I’m sure my defence will have a stretch where opponents shots hit the back of our net, left, right and centre. 

So not sure if anybody else here has experienced something like this or not but I was trying to reloan Matt Clarke Brighton instead rejected the loan and instead offered him to me for nothing ($0) even though he had 2 more years left on his contract and is valued at 11 mil. 

Edited by JaytheGreat

8 hours ago, JaytheGreat said:

So not sure if anybody else here has experienced something like this or not but I was trying to reloan Matt Clarke Brighton instead rejected the loan and instead offered him to me for nothing ($0) even though he had 2 more years left on his contract and is valued at 11 mil. 

I had to pay 20 million for him! 

10 hours ago, JaytheGreat said:

No, I’ve not heard of that happening before, @JaytheGreat.

Ouch @karanhsingh you were robbed!

7 hours ago, JaytheGreat said:

Crap.png.27b53f1bf514efa4f46da177472f183b.png

Yeah don't like this at all, please win Richard Thorpe. I guess it's good that somebody has my back.

Richard Thorpe gets my vote! Good luck 🍀

Stumbled across this thread while searching to see if anyone else had decided to go crazy and pick Derby County in FM21, and I'm glad I'm not alone. Jesus this is hard work. 😂

Currently 8 games into a three-man multiplayer and it's not going well. Joined just as the transfer window was closed, I'm unfamiliar with a lot of these guys as a Blackburn fan, other than Kazim-Richards! Rooney has been struggling to get to match fitness after injury, but seems to be settling well in the centre of a middle three with Max Bird, who's been excellent, and Shinnie/Knight/Holmes rotating in and out. Waghorn has been out and remains out until probably Christmas, and is a player I could desperately do with.

Jordan Ibe has been a revelation as well, after I initially attempted to sell him to raise funds (I didn't realise he'd just signed) but after a couple of screamers and some positive displays, he's first on the team sheet.

The defence is decimated. I think during that window, one or two of the defenders were sold so I'm bare. Right back is a real problem, and I'm completely exposed there, leaking goals. Last game was a 2-3 loss to Huddersfield, with 18 shots to their 9, so the chances are there. Just no prolific striker to put them away - even Rooney is missing these chances.

I brought in Guidetti for very cheap, but he's not doing much at all. Portanova and Ranocchia came in from Juventus on loan and they are growing in confidence. Lawrence is back from injury and getting some decent form so I feel like I'm making progress. Need just one or two more of those chances to be converted and we'll start gaining points! We sit 17th at the moment, thanks to wins against Luton and someone else, it seems the team is now learning the tactic I use well.

Steve McClaren was already instilled as the Assistant when I came in, but I'm not overly impressed. Staff has been the focus and the scouts are out trying to find me a decent striker for loan or free with height and stature. Though after reading the first page of this thread and watching the YouTube guy, I may take a shot at Idah. At 6'1" it's worth it, especially seeing as he can hit the target!

Question: has anyone had a takeover? I've had two separate denials from the chair so far! Be nice to have it and get a couple of mill' to ease the strain! 😅

2 hours ago, he6rt6gr6m said:

Stumbled across this thread while searching to see if anyone else had decided to go crazy and pick Derby County in FM21, and I'm glad I'm not alone. Jesus this is hard work. 😂

Welcome to Derby County, @he6rt6gr6m. Stick with it, my experience and that of others on here, suggests that once you've ridden out the early season injuries then things do improve for the Rams. With good management of course LOL :)

2 hours ago, he6rt6gr6m said:

Question: has anyone had a takeover? I've had two separate denials from the chair so far! Be nice to have it and get a couple of mill' to ease the strain! 😅

At least a couple of managers have reported takeovers on here and these appear to happen early in the second season.

Good luck!

11 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Welcome to Derby County, @he6rt6gr6m. Stick with it, my experience and that of others on here, suggests that once you've ridden out the early season injuries then things do improve for the Rams. With good management of course LOL :)

At least a couple of managers have reported takeovers on here and these appear to happen early in the second season.

Good luck!

Ooo there's hope yet then. Haha! I think things are gonna pick up to be honest. They're getting better and more familiar with the 4-3-3 I play, just got to stop conceding goals!

I'll keep you guys updated and keep reading for other's stories. They've intrigued me!

Summer 21/22 Transfer Update

1. Matt Clarke CB, Brighton - Free, 1.45 mil a year

Clarke.png.e45ca835f1d47adae1cefb37a6e55cd2.png

My number 1 target in the offseason, I was trying to get him on loan but the game decided to give me an early Christmas present. My player of the year last season, good tackling mixed with being dominate in the air. Probably the best CB I would be able to get so I'm very glad to make his stay a permanent one. 

2. Luke Woolfenden CB, Ipswich - 6.75 mil, 600k a year

Woolfenden.png.0a3a204b6a788c70e04efd4a76d3700c.png

It seems like Woolfeden is the player to pick up for Derby teams going into the Premier League, I wasn't going to sign him but my scouts absolutely loved him (giving him 88 rating) and when I saw his attributes I can tell why. While he's not quite good defensively as Clarke he basically matches him in the air and is a better passer from the back. Considering my tactic likes to try long balls he may turn out to be the best fit of my CBs.

3. Wuilker Farinez GK, Millonarios - 3 mil, 2.23 mil a year

Farinez.png.9c646823cb848ebdd1328c94f4c2d3c8.png

Was not my 1st choice (I lost out on David Raya to Brighton) but he was my goalie with Derby in FM20 so I decided to give ol reliable another shot. Not an amazing GK but has great reflexes that make up for the lack of reach. And at 23 he should improve a little bit more and will probably man the starting position for a decade or so. 

4. Max Aarons RB, Norwich - 33 mil, 4.88 mil a year

Aarons.png.8d68e572cf751e3508ab70f6a0ca506d.png

Saving the best and by far the most expensive for last. I really didn't need Aarons but with his physicals, age, interest in playing here and the fact I had the money to make the deal happen it was a no brainer. Byrne's contract is up at the end of the season and us currently 29 and has been bothering me for an improved contract, so this is basically me telling Byrne it's not happening. If I can upgrade the crossing a little Aarons has a chance to be one of the best RBs in the world, I'm extremely happy I could make the deal happen. 

Outs

1. Andre Wisdom - Stoke, 2.2 mil

Was mad I was playing him at RB instead of CB, so I decided to cash in while he still had some value. Wisdom really wasn't a bad player I just really didn't want to keep a disgruntled player when I didn't have to.

Edited by JaytheGreat

End of November 2020

Things have improved in October and November and we're currently unbeaten in our last five games. Some of it is more by luck than judgement though as we were 2-0 down against both Barnsley and Middlesbrough before taking risks with some attacking changes that saw a couple of memorable comebacks.

use.png.f88f736741b5dbc970fbf100fa6a0571.png

Nothing is settled at the moment as I'm alternating formations between 4-1-2-3 (4-3-3, if you prefer), 4-2-3-1 and an attacking 4-2-2WIDE-2. If you remember, I used the pre-game Editor to make sure the preseason signings in real-life weren't available to me in FM21 until the date they actually signed in real-life and, in the case of free transfers Colin Kazim-Richards, Bobby Duncan and Jordon Ibe I extended that until the actual date they were fit enough in real-life to play for either the first-team or the U23s. All those players are now available.

But I have injuries to Nathan Byrne, Archie Brown, plus Tom Lawrence isn't fully match fit and Jason Knight needs a rest. With all of this going on there's no consistency at all in my team selections, however, we have climbed up from 18th on my last update (Page 3) after four games to 8th after 14 games.

use.thumb.png.50a243d5e3729628fa7d34a69c061e76.png

This was the starting-11 I selected against Wycombe Wanderers with Wayne Rooney suspended. Jahmal Hector-Ingram is my top goal scorer with five, two ahead of Morgan Whittaker.

use.png.0fbce3fb10ece448fb4d235465238dd8.png

use.png.f2983ec2527c7bc13e5e16190268f56e.png

So far this season, I've used 28 players, which is a lot after 15 games in all competitions:

use.thumb.png.579c97b272997df9ae582186cb8b9ba5.png

use.thumb.png.d3ee0c1bfda22ea300e2903e15223efc.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Derby County, 2020/21 Season: Part 2.

November 1st, 2020- January 31st, 2021.

Our League form at the start of November was good, QPR and Barnsley both left Pride Park with nothing. Next up was a tricky game against Bristol City, were outplayed them and should have been out of sight, but as a weakness as been, we're creating chances but just can't put them away and they manged to take one of their chances. We left it very late against Middlesbrough and the score makes it look like a comfortable win. Our final League game in November, was a "shock" home defeat to Wycombe. We created around 18 chances and 16 on target but just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net, Wycombe has 2 chances and in the 75th minute scored. (I believe the Wycombe game, is the type of game that makes people say the game is against the human player).

1214374194_DerbyCounty_Fixtures-4.png.fde4b4c034325c71f0003477215602ca.png

In December, we had a little slump. Against Coventry we were once again wasteful and our defence had the game off too. We followed that with a 2-1 defeat to 10 man Millwall, with ex-Ram, Mason Bennett bagging the winner. We then followed that with another trip to London, and the league leaders dismantled us with ease, it could have been 5 or 6. After the Brentford game, I called a team meeting and it seemed to work, as we remembered how to win.

1607462202_DerbyCounty_Fixtures-5.png.2e3c8c8ed0edd54bc2128a1e7c149adf.png

I should have seen the result against Sheff Wednesday coming. They are marooned in 24th and we're in second, after 34 seconds, Bielik gave away a penalty. Wednesday score with their next attack and we were 2 down after 15 minutes. Waghorn pulled one back, but in the pursuit of an equaliser Wednesday hit us on the break to make it 3-1. We then managed to find some form for the rest of the month, but needed a Rooney wonder freekick to pick up a point against Bristol City.

694223576_DerbyCounty_Fixtures-6.png.e10140cfcdcf039ea5728f90547e1d2f.png

So at the end of January, we find ourselves 2nd in the table, but Brentford have a rather handy lead(I guess it shows how random FM can be, in the first save I started, after 9 games Brentford only had 4 points and were 21st).

1814900992_SkyBetChampionship_Stages.thumb.png.dfe4d4415e0208860b594a7f6c2654b0.png

Our FA Cup run was short and sweet, we drew the holders and lost convincingly.

36375206_DerbyCounty_Fixtures-7.png.7137c72c65fbcfdb494423da9ec990bc.png

Players used: The Media, always seem to mention the amount of players I've used.

Injuries have been pretty light, although from the end of November to the start of January, a couple of players missed time due to a virus.

249975838_DerbyCounty_Players-3.thumb.png.27d6da273ef33ed0eda5102b4e0f70ac.png

2058220146_DerbyCounty_Players-4.thumb.png.83fd1dffbe8fcc0bceb5f56a77e30da6.png

Youth intake: Pleasingly mentions a GK who might be useful.

107996067_ScottHorovitz_Inbox.png.6359833d865095e4be4453447325a7d8.png

Transfers:

I've signed two players, one from the trialist game, Aidan Barlow, our scouts seemed to think he might be a useful player. 

The second signing I made, was a striker with family links to Derby. With Whittaker going through a barren patch, and not being overly impressed with Kazim or Waghorn, our scouts brought to my attention, Daniel Sturridge(for whatever reason, I'd thought he'd retired). He signed a 3 year deal, the last year may be an issue and for £25,000 a week.

On the other side, we got rid of a few players. With Curtis Davies we have to pay £3,500 a week until June 2021. Wasn't an issue as he wasn't playing for the first team and I get to save £25,000 a week in wages. Wisdom was also sold, there was some interest from MLS teams and getting rid of his £23,000 was a priority. Holmes also attracted interest from MLS teams and after rejecting contract offers from a couple of teams, he eventually found a deal he was looking for. Some of the youngsters in the u23s/18s went out on loan.

During December, an issue developed between myself and Tom Lawrence, his training was poor, I informed him of this and he kicked off, I tried to sell him in January and there were a few teams interested in him, but no bids were received. Lawrence currently finds himself in the u23s and hopefully out of the Club in the summer.

1987881204_DerbyCounty_TransferHistory.png.eed102ace94d0c5f58dda98aaba23e4d.png

1844894056_DerbyCounty_TransferHistory-2.png.153607c04dfa337b4a394f0ec54abaa0.png

Edited by Scott_Gooner

Good going everyone, I just caught up - was away for a few days.

@JaytheGreat - excellent transfers, still can't believe you robbed Brighton off like that :lol:

@Stuniverse - good going, that youth intake sounds depressing though :(

@Scott_Gooner - Sturridge is an interesting one, I look forward to seeing how he gets on for you.

5 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Good going everyone, I just caught up - was away for a few days.

@JaytheGreat - excellent transfers, still can't believe you robbed Brighton off like that :lol:

@Scott_Gooner - Sturridge is an interesting one, I look forward to seeing how he gets on for you.

I had Sturridge on trial for the whole pre-season with APOEL on FM20 and he didn't look great or IIRC even get a goal. Then he wouldn't sign on a free transfer even though I was really keen to resurrect his career. I'd be surprised if he was rated better in FM21, but would absolutely love to see him banging in goals for you with Derby @Scott_Gooner

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Hello everybordy and for start great work @Stuniverse for this topic and i really like your commenting on everyone's save.

I started with the Rams cause i find it a really interesting save this year . We managed to get an easy promotion the 1st year winning the Championship and playing really good and defensively solid football which i didnt expect . Idah was our top player scoring many goals and being 2nd scorer at Championship with Armstrong beeing 1st .

So now our 1st year in Premier League with a decent transfer budget (about 50M) . We made many transfers and i hope my team is complete and ready to fight for a mid table finish i hope . I spent 38M to get Lamptey (brighton was demoted to Championship) and i hope i dont regret it .
You can see my tactics and my players above .

Id really want to hear about your oppinions and suggestions .

Lets go Rams !!

Derby County_ Transfer History.png

Derby County_ Overview-6.png

Sky Bet Championship_ Stages-6.png

Derby County_ Transfer History-5.png

Derby County_ Transfer History-6.png

Edited by AbRaiN

On 29/12/2020 at 13:13, AbRaiN said:

Hello everybordy and for start great work @Stuniverse for this topic and i really like your commenting on everyone's save.

You’re welcome, @AbRaiN. I put a lot of time and effort into the research for Derby County on FM so it’s good to see people enjoying managing the Rams on FM21 and interacting with each other on here.

I started with the Rams cause i find it a really interesting save this year . We managed to get an easy promotion the 1st year winning the Championship and playing really good and defensively solid football which i didnt expect . Idah was our top player scoring many goals and being 2nd scorer at Championship with Armstrong beeing 1st .

Congratulations 🍾 on your promotion and 🏆 league title. Adam Idah appears to be a good signing in the first season. Who were the main players, other than Idah, in your promotion winning campaign?

So now our 1st year in Premier League with a decent transfer budget (about 50M) . We made many transfers and i hope my team is complete and ready to fight for a mid table finish i hope . I spent 38M to get Lamptey (brighton was demoted to Championship) and i hope i dont regret it .

Good luck 🍀. The Premier League is a big step-up, particularly when you get promotion in the first season so that your second season of the save is in the top flight, but others on here have survived and thrived in the Premier League.

You can see my tactics and my players above .

Id really want to hear about your oppinions and suggestions .

4-1-2-3 (or 4-3-3) was a very successful system used by Steve McClaren, in real-life, the season Derby made it to the playoff final and lost to QPR. Our owner, Mel Morris, christened it the ‘Derby Way’.

I can’t really argue with your outs and it’s great to see you bringing Jayden Bogle and Will Hughes back to Pride Park. I managed Stevie Mallan for a number of seasons on my long-term FM20 save and he was a cracking player for me. If he’s anything like the same player on FM21 he’ll be a fantastic addition to your squad.

I’m wishing you a successful Premier League season.

Come on you, 🐏s !

Edited by Stuniverse

On 29/12/2020 at 11:24, Geordieboy52 said:

How’s Louis Sibley been for you guys? He’s been in my shortlist since end of season 1 and was gonna try a cheeky bid for him January 2026 but a newly taken-over West Ham just signed him for £55m!

My Derby County save is a bit of a slow-burner, @Geordieboy52, and I’m still in my first season. Sibley has done ok for me so far but, with plenty of players who can play central midfield, he isn’t a regular for me but, to be fair, I’m in December and haven’t settled yet on a regular starting 11.

I’ll let others, who have progressed further in their saves, answer this one for you...

On 29/12/2020 at 07:19, karanhsingh said:

Thanks, @karanhsingh. I’m satisfied with the start we’ve made but we’re struggling for consistency, probably not helped much by me chopping and changing the line-up and tactics almost on a game-by-game basis.

On 29/12/2020 at 16:54, Geordieboy52 said:

How’s Louis Sibley been for you guys? He’s been in my shortlist since end of season 1 and was gonna try a cheeky bid for him January 2026 but a newly taken-over West Ham just signed him for £55m!

Sibley was great for me as mezzalla and developed well too. Good number of goals and assists each season. 

15 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Thanks, @karanhsingh. I’m satisfied with the start we’ve made but we’re struggling for consistency, probably not helped much by me chopping and changing the line-up and tactics almost on a game-by-game basis.

Yes it takes a while to settle down with all the issues at the start of the game. Good to see the club bouncing back a bit IRL too under rooney. 

I've decided to hold on my derby save having had 3 very enjoyable seasons and lifting the fa cup, been tinkering with another idea for a while which I'm going to have a go at. 

On 30/12/2020 at 21:49, Stuniverse said:

You’re welcome, @AbRaiN. I put a lot of time and effort into the research for Derby County on FM so it’s good to see people enjoying managing the Rams on FM21 and interacting with each other on here.

Congratulations 🍾 on your promotion and 🏆 league title. Adam Idah appears to be a good signing in the first season. Who were the main players, other than Idah, in your promotion winning campaign?

After Idah , id say Clarke and Marshall did a great job at our defence keeping us solid through the run . Also Rooney was pretty sold too finishing the season with 20 assists

Season 2 Update

We made a very good first season in Premier League managing to take the 7th position on the table and qualifying for Europa League (Althought tis position was for Conference League after some days there was a message that said that we were qualified for Europa League)
The crazy thing is that Liverpool won the League with an Invincible season (!!)

We owe this great run especially to 2 players .

Frist Adam Armstrong was a really killer up front as Advanced Forward , managed to become 1st scorer in Premier League banging 27 Goals !!
This is insane because Adam was 1st scorer at Championship the previous year with Blackburn ! (I dont know if this ever happened before in Real Life )

Secondly our "angel" at goalposts Alexandr Maximenko did a great season and was 2nd behind Alisson and the Golden Glove !!!

Generally we managed to take good results against lower-mid teams and loosing/drawing almost all matches against top6 teams , which i really liked cause the team played very good against teams in our Size . I am very happy with this season and i hope we will do a same and even better 2nd season at Premier League !!

As for the transfers , i spent a kinda big amount but i am very happy because at the end of the season we will need to make 2-3 big moves to complete our roster .
Lamptey also had a decent season but i really liked his develpoment and he shows to be one of the best RB in this game !

For the end , we had a very good youth intake with 1 GK showing a great potential and 1 CM seems to become really great !! Also i bought a Scot MC from Motherwell (for 650k only ) who seems to become a real beast at the midfield !!

All screenshots are above (Those from the regens are from my 3rd season in the time which i am currently , ill do an update later (the faces were put in) )

Edit : Atm in my 3rd season (end of Octomber ) i am impressed with Bobby Duncan whom i didnt gave chances on first 2 seasons , but he shows to be a really good Goalscoring Forward (also dubbed as the new Ian Wright ) 
How is he developping in ur saves ??

Adam Armstrong_ Profile-2.png

Adam Moore_ Profile-2.png

Alexandr Maximenko_ Profile.png

Derby County_ Matches.png

Derby County_ Matches-2.png

Derby County_ Transfer History.png

Harry Slaven_ Profile-2.png

Jazz Male_ Profile-2.png

Premier League_ Profile.png

Edited by AbRaiN

@karanhsingh Too bad the Derby save is on hold, you did a hell of a job in 3 years. Any hints on your next save?

@AbRaiN Awesome to see you made it into the Europa League, even better that it came in the 1st year back in the Premier League. Good luck next season.

Edited by JaytheGreat

Quick Midseason Update

Screen.png.de127a33afc190dac15e6549a0f32c38.png

Schedule3.png.6a35ecbbadd32fca9c1a05201e23924f.png

Schedule4.png.bbeb120d7cac48f8a7f3f9ea6f5eacab.png

Honestly love the way we are playing, while I don't think we will end up in the top 7 I'm very proud of the team. As you can see we had a nice little stretch from late November that stretched into late December. A lucky win against Man Utd gets canceled out by a very unlucky loss to Chelsea (they scored in the 93rd minute). Tottenham is incredible in 17th place right now and not too far from being in the relegation battle. Another unlucky loss to my now eternal rival in Newcastle. It took awhile for the defense to get settled with Bielik, Clarke, Aarons, and Buchanan all took their time playing like trash. Bird is a very good passer while attacking, but seems to turnover the ball all the time in the defense and in the midfield. Knight is solid as always, Jozwiak has been a revelation this season but teams are starting to key in and he's getting banged up every couple of games. Marriott is starting to heat up so that's always good.

Squad.png.a4269cf93c71477065bc1e0496100e6d.png

YIP2.png.669ddd1e0a60bc002fe096c9ed7409a0.png

Another so called golden generation, once again I'll believe it when I see it in March. 

15 hours ago, AbRaiN said:

We made a very good first season in Premier League managing to take the 7th position on the table and qualifying for Europa League (Althought tis position was for Conference League after some days there was a message that said that we were qualified for Europa League)

A great achievement in your first season in the Premier League, @AbRaiN. Well done,

We owe this great run especially to 2 players .

Frist Adam Armstrong was a really killer up front as Advanced Forward , managed to become 1st scorer in Premier League banging 27 Goals !!
This is insane because Adam was 1st scorer at Championship the previous year with Blackburn ! (I dont know if this ever happened before in Real Life )

Secondly our "angel" at goalposts Alexandr Maximenko did a great season and was 2nd behind Alisson and the Golden Glove !!!

Two great signings there. Who else contributed? Did you have a core 11 or did you use a rotation?

Generally we managed to take good results against lower-mid teams and loosing/drawing almost all matches against top6 teams , which i really liked cause the team played very good against teams in our Size . I am very happy with this season and i hope we will do a same and even better 2nd season at Premier League !!

I always find the Big Six are difficult to take points off as a newly promoted side.

As for the transfers , i spent a kinda big amount but i am very happy because at the end of the season we will need to make 2-3 big moves to complete our roster .
Lamptey also had a decent season but i really liked his develpoment and he shows to be one of the best RB in this game !

For the end , we had a very good youth intake with 1 GK showing a great potential and 1 CM seems to become really great !! Also i bought a Scot MC from Motherwell (for 650k only ) who seems to become a real beast at the midfield !!

Some nice transfers in and out there.

Atm in my 3rd season (end of Octomber ) i am impressed with Bobby Duncan whom i didnt gave chances on first 2 seasons , but he shows to be a really good Goalscoring Forward (also dubbed as the new Ian Wright ) 
How is he developping in ur saves ??

I’m about halfway through my first season (it’s a slow burner) and Bobby Duncan hasn’t featured for me much as I made him unavailable using the pre-game Editor until around the time he featured in an U23 game in real-life. Jahmal Hector-Ingram has been getting quite a bit of playing time for me and is doing well.

Edited by Stuniverse

On 31/12/2020 at 11:03, karanhsingh said:

I've decided to hold on my derby save having had 3 very enjoyable seasons and lifting the fa cup, been tinkering with another idea for a while which I'm going to have a go at. 

Thanks for sharing your Derby save, @karanhsingh. You were an inspiration to us all. Good luck with your next idea...

51 minutes ago, JaytheGreat said:

Quick Midseason Update

6th in the Premier League. Looking good, @JaytheGreat

52 minutes ago, JaytheGreat said:

Honestly love the way we are playing, while I don't think we will end up in the top 7 I'm very proud of the team.

That’s a great feeling on FM when you reach that point with the club you’re managing as, I find, it doesn’t always happen. Even more special when it’s a club close to your ❤️ in real-life.

54 minutes ago, JaytheGreat said:

It took awhile for the defense to get settled with Bielik, Clarke, Aarons, and Buchanan all took their time playing like trash. Bird is a very good passer while attacking, but seems to turnover the ball all the time in the defense and in the midfield. Knight is solid as always, Jozwiak has been a revelation this season but teams are starting to key in and he's getting banged up every couple of games. Marriott is starting to heat up so that's always good.

Big step up to the Premier League remember. Sounds like, generally, the players are doing more than ok for you.

55 minutes ago, JaytheGreat said:

Another so called golden generation, once again I'll believe it when I see it in March. 

Yes, you’ve seen that golden generation before...