FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

6 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Define cheapish - we need to know how much you can afford to spend.

Hi thanks for the reply, I’m hoping for under £400 if possible? Doesn’t have to be amazing, just enough to run the game with (hopefully) the 3d match engine, thanks again.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Revan1 said:

Hi thanks for the reply, I’m hoping for under £400 if possible? Doesn’t have to be amazing, just enough to run the game with (hopefully) the 3d match engine, thanks again.

This'll do the job for you: https://www.box.co.uk/82LM0054UK-Lenovo-ideaPad-5-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-256_3596990.html

5 hours ago, Camg87 said:

Hi all, just wondering if my current laptop is decent for the new FM, if not, Is there anything out there that would be a considerable improvement for around £5/£600.

Cheers in advance 

IMG-20221031-WA0002.jpeg

It'll run the game, but it's going to be slow and I imagine it'd struggle a bit with the 3D match graphics.

https://www.box.co.uk/82KD0008UK-Lenovo-V15-G2-Ryzen-7-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-_3614140.html - this would be a huge improvement.

20 hours ago, kevhamster said:

It's a decent laptop.  I'm not sure I'd call it overpriced with that CPU in it, and it should be quieter than a gaming laptop and if you're after a larger screen it's probably about as good as you'll get for the price for a non-gaming laptop.

https://www.box.co.uk/FX706HCB-HX147W-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-F17-Intel-Core-i5-16GB-R_4341533.html - that's a gaming laptop alternative at the same price.  The CPU isn't quite as strong as the one from Argos, but it's still very decent and has a dedicated graphics card.

Perfect thank you Kev. As I am completely ignorant with computers what would be the advantages of the ASUS over the Non gaming?

currently using macbook air 2019 (see image below) but ever since i updated my macbook to Ventura the cpu & fans have reached levels it hasn’t before, 80c-100c on the cpu when before it was 60c-76c& the fan picks up louder than before the update. i would be willing to trade my laptop in for another one as i only use my macbook for fm & casual use. any suggestions? mainly look at around nothing high than £500? mainly after good speeds & no crazy fan noise. i only use 2d match engine & 2-3 leagues & large database. any suggestions or advice be much appreciated! 

02183FC0-0A03-490C-BDC5-9A1D31E0DE1A.jpeg

4 hours ago, rossy86 said:

Perfect thank you Kev. As I am completely ignorant with computers what would be the advantages of the ASUS over the Non gaming?

It has a stronger CPU, so should process the game a bit quicker.  It will also probably be a bit quieter, generate less heat and will probably have a longer battery life.

The downside will be that it may not be able to smoothly handle the 3D graphics at the highest settings, but will be good for medium to high.

3 hours ago, bxnellis said:

currently using macbook air 2019 (see image below) but ever since i updated my macbook to Ventura the cpu & fans have reached levels it hasn’t before, 80c-100c on the cpu when before it was 60c-76c& the fan picks up louder than before the update. i would be willing to trade my laptop in for another one as i only use my macbook for fm & casual use. any suggestions? mainly look at around nothing high than £500? mainly after good speeds & no crazy fan noise. i only use 2d match engine & 2-3 leagues & large database. any suggestions or advice be much appreciated! 

02183FC0-0A03-490C-BDC5-9A1D31E0DE1A.jpeg

https://www.box.co.uk/82KD0008UK-Lenovo-V15-G2-Ryzen-7-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-_3614140.html

24 minutes ago, bxnellis said:

thank you very much for the recommendation, will look into it! guessing you suggest this is better than the macbook air i got now? 

It's streets ahead

Here's he processor in the 2019 Mac Air - 8210Y

vs the processor in the recommended 5700U

image.png.900e18cc85eff5f37dda8714535c8465.png

27 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's streets ahead

Here's he processor in the 2019 Mac Air - 8210Y

vs the processor in the recommended 5700U

image.png.900e18cc85eff5f37dda8714535c8465.png

Thats good! guessing won’t be as crazy on the cpu as on the macbook? causing fan to go crazy during periods? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Vivobook-15-6-inch-9-5900HX-Keyboard/dp/B09GKKN2TC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1ZTNY76MIKWWF&keywords=asus+vivobook+pro+15+m3500qc&qid=1667641376&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjU1IiwicXNhIjoiMS4yOCIsInFzcCI6IjAuNzYifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=ASUS+Vivobook+Pro+15%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-3

Any advice off you lovely tech savvy people would be much appreciated, it's only for FM 23 watching movies and general Internet browsing. I do play the odd other games but they ilder and not graphic heavy.

19 hours ago, Nelson12345 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Vivobook-15-6-inch-9-5900HX-Keyboard/dp/B09GKKN2TC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1ZTNY76MIKWWF&keywords=asus+vivobook+pro+15+m3500qc&qid=1667641376&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjU1IiwicXNhIjoiMS4yOCIsInFzcCI6IjAuNzYifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=ASUS+Vivobook+Pro+15%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-3

Any advice off you lovely tech savvy people would be much appreciated, it's only for FM 23 watching movies and general Internet browsing. I do play the odd other games but they ilder and not graphic heavy.

Absolutely fine, fly through manager. I know laptps are the "thing to have" for mobility,  but honestly if your spending that sort of money get a desktop. Your get even higher specs at that money your spending or the same at a lower cost with the bonus you can update when needed.

I currently run a mid range gaming laptop, but a much higher end desktop. 

Realistically we all love the idea of moving around the house, but laptops aren't built to sit on laps etc they overheat if not placed on a decent surface. 

1 hour ago, styluz05 said:

Absolutely fine, fly through manager. I know laptps are the "thing to have" for mobility,  but honestly if your spending that sort of money get a desktop. Your get even higher specs at that money your spending or the same at a lower cost with the bonus you can update when needed.

I currently run a mid range gaming laptop, but a much higher end desktop. 

Realistically we all love the idea of moving around the house, but laptops aren't built to sit on laps etc they overheat if not placed on a decent surface. 

Thank you for your answer, I completely get what you're saying, might be time for a rethink 👌

Hi all, 

So like many , looking for a new laptop/chrome book to buy and run FM23 on and general browsing. Unfortunately on small budget :( of about £200-250.

just wondered if you guys could recommend any that would be suitable please?

many thanks in advance 

ash 

3 hours ago, Nelson12345 said:

Thank you for your answer, I completely get what you're saying, might be time for a rethink 👌

Whatever you do take your time. So much choice out there and we live in a world you can click and have tomorrow. So just take your time. And like I said work out what will suit you best laptop or desktops both have positives and negatives.

On 04/11/2022 at 00:05, kevhamster said:

It has a stronger CPU, so should process the game a bit quicker.  It will also probably be a bit quieter, generate less heat and will probably have a longer battery life.

The downside will be that it may not be able to smoothly handle the 3D graphics at the highest settings, but will be good for medium to high.

Apologies Kev

Are you saying the Huawei has the stronger CPU, quieter Etc?

On 05/11/2022 at 13:37, Nelson12345 said:

That'll be absolutely fine for your needs.  Excellent CPU and the graphics card is ok as well.

10 hours ago, Ashlcfc86 said:

Hi all, 

So like many , looking for a new laptop/chrome book to buy and run FM23 on and general browsing. Unfortunately on small budget :( of about £200-250.

just wondered if you guys could recommend any that would be suitable please?

many thanks in advance 

ash 

Best I can see is this: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/deals/14s-fq0004na/

It's a refurb one.  There's nothing brand new I can see which I'd recommend.

Hi, I have a budget of £250-300. I should stress that graphics have no importance to me - I'm still old school and play matches in 2D!

However,I would like to run 3 or 4 leagues on a large database. What would be your opinion on any potential laptop options?

Many thanks!

Edited by cccc

17 minutes ago, cccc said:

Hi, I have a budget of £250-300. I should stress that graphics have no importance to me - I'm still old school and play matches in 2D!

However,I would like to run 3 or 4 leagues on a large database. What would be your opinion on any potential laptop options?

Many thanks!

Best I can find is this refurb model: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/deals/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-11th-generation-cpu-15-6-fhd-screen-laptop/

53 minutes ago, cccc said:

Many thanks!

HP EliteBook 840 G2 14-inch Ultrabook Laptop PC (Intel Core i5-5200U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, WiFi, WebCam, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit) (Renewed) https://amzn.eu/d/7swq56E

1 hour ago, cccc said:

Thanks very much for the quick reply, I'm wondering how effective the below model would be?:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-15-x515ja-15.6-laptop-intel-core-i3-256-gb-ssd-silver-10242866.html

The Currys site is currently down, so I'll check once it is available.

8 hours ago, rossy86 said:

Apologies Kev

Are you saying the Huawei has the stronger CPU, quieter Etc?

Yes, the non-gaming one has the better CPU.

Quieter is an assumption, but given as a rule of thumb laptops with dedicated graphics card generate more heat and therefore causing the fans to need to work a bit harder, it's probably a safe assumption to make.

51 minutes ago, cccc said:

Thanks Kev, just noticed Currys is down. It's the same as the below on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B5H8DCBS?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2420199443

If they are definitely the same, then I'd still go with the one I posted.  This one has the older generation i3.

9 hours ago, cccc said:

Thanks Kev, just noticed Currys is down. It's the same as the below on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B5H8DCBS?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2420199443

Currys is back up.  if you really want a brand new one, then yeah go for this one.

Otherwise, the one I posted has a newer, stronger CPU.

2 hours ago, Crabby3 said:

Is this the best laptop available for under £300 at the moment? And is this any good for FM23 please?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1172140

I don't think you'll find anything better at that price.

It won't be the quickest and you'll probably need to use lower presets for the 3D graphics..... but for the price it's actually very good value.

hi guys, looking at getting a new laptop, primarily for fm23 ideally want to have 3/5 leagues loaded , not overly fussed about 3D match engine, will use for netflix etc and usual internet musings.... 

ASUS Vivobook 15 X515JA 15.6" Full HD Laptop (Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Windows 11) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

would this run fm23 seamlessly?

thanks 

4 hours ago, Crabby3 said:

Is this the best laptop available for under £300 at the moment? And is this any good for FM23 please?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1172140

I should add to my previous post, you'll need to switch windows out of S mode to install Steam or Epic to enable you to then install FM.  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switching-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-4f56d9be-99ec-6983-119f-031bfb28a307

27 minutes ago, beardedprime said:

hi guys, looking at getting a new laptop, primarily for fm23 ideally want to have 3/5 leagues loaded , not overly fussed about 3D match engine, will use for netflix etc and usual internet musings.... 

ASUS Vivobook 15 X515JA 15.6" Full HD Laptop (Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Windows 11) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

would this run fm23 seamlessly?

thanks 

It'd be fine for what you're looking for it to do. I can't see any better for the same price or lower. 

Budget: £500-1000

Main uses: FM, streaming football, general browsing

I do want to start using 3D more so dedicated graphics card, loading more leagues too, so good processor required. I rarely do more than one of these at one time so I assume any RAM will be fine.

Any suggestions? I am open to laptop or desktop, just want the best value for money, hence the open budget.

Maybe an idea hang on until end of month to purchase.

Thanks for any help.

3 hours ago, 412gt said:

Budget: £500-1000

Main uses: FM, streaming football, general browsing

I do want to start using 3D more so dedicated graphics card, loading more leagues too, so good processor required. I rarely do more than one of these at one time so I assume any RAM will be fine.

Any suggestions? I am open to laptop or desktop, just want the best value for money, hence the open budget.

Maybe an idea hang on until end of month to purchase.

Thanks for any help.

I can look at both desktops and laptops.  When it comes to desktops, do you already have things like a monitor, keyboard etc or would the budget need to include these as well?

Hey,

Using a MB Air with the Apple M1 chip (2020), 16GB memory. Current OS is Monterey 12.1.

Both in FM 22 and during the FM 23 Beta it overheats quite frequently (although I’m playing normally, it’s not shut down at any point), which is a bit of an issue to me seeing it doesn’t have the fans.

I play with main 5 leagues loaded, two tiers each, not more than that. Also it happens even fairly early in saves (4-5 seasons in). I also have zero other apps running (maybe a Safari tab to browse random stuff).

I have no idea if this is expected behaviour? Feels like it should be able to handle the game a bit better?

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

I can look at both desktops and laptops.  When it comes to desktops, do you already have things like a monitor, keyboard etc or would the budget need to include these as well?

Thank you sir.

I’ve got all peripherals so would only need the tower, desktop wise.

1 hour ago, kokafalasi said:

Hey,

Using a MB Air with the Apple M1 chip (2020), 16GB memory. Current OS is Monterey 12.1.

Both in FM 22 and during the FM 23 Beta it overheats quite frequently (although I’m playing normally, it’s not shut down at any point), which is a bit of an issue to me seeing it doesn’t have the fans.

I play with main 5 leagues loaded, two tiers each, not more than that. Also it happens even fairly early in saves (4-5 seasons in). I also have zero other apps running (maybe a Safari tab to browse random stuff).

I have no idea if this is expected behaviour? Feels like it should be able to handle the game a bit better?

Anything which taxes the processor is going to cause it to generate some heat.  The debateable point is whether the issue lies with the game design, or the computer design.  It does seem somewhat odd to me to have a computer with no fans at all, but it seems one of the main selling points of the Macbook Air is the compact and quiet design.

1 hour ago, 412gt said:

Thank you sir.

I’ve got all peripherals so would only need the tower, desktop wise.

For a desktop, I'd go for this:  Excellent CPU and graphics card. https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-Mythic_4145390.html?config=2335985,3482648,4086959,4103349,4329489

For a laptop, I'd go for this: https://www.box.co.uk/NH.QFMEK.001-Acer-Nitro-5-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-512G_4120404.html

The CPU actually rates higher in this laptop than the desktop, although the graphics card isn't quite as good.  https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-12700H/4084vsm1750314

Of course, with the desktop you have  more chance for upgrades down the line, so it's really down to what's most important to you.  Either of these would be excellent.

19 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Anything which taxes the processor is going to cause it to generate some heat.  The debateable point is whether the issue lies with the game design, or the computer design.  It does seem somewhat odd to me to have a computer with no fans at all, but it seems one of the main selling points of the Macbook Air is the compact and quiet design.

Thanks for the response and yeah agreed, not ideal not to have fans. Wonder if any other MB Air M1 users experience the same? Then at least I know it’s not just mine 😁

16 minutes ago, kokafalasi said:

Thanks for the response and yeah agreed, not ideal not to have fans. Wonder if any other MB Air M1 users experience the same? Then at least I know it’s not just mine 😁

Sounds weird. With my Air, In 22 I had 20-30 leagues loaded never really had any heat issues. Only heat issues was when I was testing stuff and leaving it on over night etc to holiday decades into the game. 

Even laptops with a fan are going to get hot whilst gaming. So some heat is not bad. If its steaming hot for hours on end though that is a worry towards the longterm health of the laptop. 

Makes me wonder if I have a different setting or something compared to you. 

When I first got my air I did have heat issues when playing other more graphical heavy games, though over time I feel they patched and improved the performance of those games on the M1. So those issues stopped. 

3 minutes ago, Zapoleon said:

Sounds weird. With my Air, In 22 I had 20-30 leagues loaded never really had any heat issues. Only heat issues was when I was testing stuff and leaving it on over night etc to holiday decades into the game. 

Even laptops with a fan are going to get hot whilst gaming. So some heat is not bad. If its steaming hot for hours on end though that is a worry towards the longterm health of the laptop. 

Makes me wonder if I have a different setting or something compared to you. 

When I first got my air I did have heat issues when playing other more graphical heavy games, though over time I feel they patched and improved the performance of those games on the M1. So those issues stopped. 

I wouldn’t say it’s flaming hot for hours, it does come and go usually. But a lot of the time when it’s hot, it’s HOT! I do leave it open overnight most of the time however. Maybe shutting down the machine before I go to bed is what I should be doing. Will give it a go.

Thanks for the response!